english for dummies 2 ed.

ohh

thanks
Old 2014-09-08, 22:35   Link #3443
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
Spoiler for raw spoiler:
Why does the author feel the need to shove Aladdin down the readers throats? Like the whole "Hogwarts" arc, even with a war it was boring as hell, it only got good as soon as Alibaba showed up and even then someone else stole his thunder.

I seriously hate it when authors know people like a character and then try their best to piss of the fans, but I have to say I hate when there is a character becomes so popular that they just seem to keep getting too much attention for almost no development (*cough*Onodera*cough*) end up just wasting time even more. At least we got background on what happened in the past in this last arc.

I guess that it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 2014-09-08, 22:45   Link #3444
dazo

i need/want more simbad.... judar....hakuryuu ren...and yunan....
Old 2014-09-08, 22:54   Link #3445
Bogart
Banned

If it isn't Aladdin dragging Alibaba down, it's Cassim, and he's been dead for 180 chapters.
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 23:00   Link #3446
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Why does the author feel the need to shove Aladdin down the readers throats? Like the whole "Hogwarts" arc, even with a war it was boring as hell, it only got good as soon as Alibaba showed up and even then someone else stole his thunder.

I seriously hate it when authors know people like a character and then try their best to piss of the fans, but I have to say I hate when there is a character becomes so popular that they just seem to keep getting too much attention for almost no development (*cough*Onodera*cough*) end up just wasting time even more. At least we got background on what happened in the past in this last arc.

I guess that it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Easy...Aladdin is THE main character. Alibaba is A main character, just like Mor...but they are not at the same status as Aladdin. The manga keeps following him, giving him the spotlight because he is the protagonist, not because he's popular or whatever.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 23:20   Link #3447
Bogart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Easy...Aladdin is THE main character. Alibaba is A main character, just like Mor...but they are not at the same status as Aladdin. The manga keeps following him, giving him the spotlight because he is the protagonist, not because he's popular or whatever.
But does that mean he gets to decide what is right? Part of what makes Alibaba interesting is that other characters actually present him with challenges and obstacles, and he overcomes them or sometimes even fails to. Aladdin though just gets a pass and doesn't have to answer for anything.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2014-09-08, 23:41   Link #3448
Redhazard
Desert Man

Quote:
But does that mean he gets to decide what is right? Part of what makes Alibaba interesting is that other characters actually present him with challenges and obstacles, and he overcomes them or sometimes even fails to. Aladdin though just gets a pass and doesn't have to answer for anything.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Comes with the MC package

Jokes aside, yeah, compared to Alibaba, Aladdin does get it easier in regard to moral challenges.
Redhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 23:51   Link #3449
dazo

i wonder how that world is gonna change.

opinion based in the spoilers:

... i was expecting a "interesting "reaction from sinbad.(that wasn't the reaction i was expecting...but alibaba face..give me bad feeling).and yunan is not happy...

Spoiler for it a spoiler dude:

alladin expression is very "familiar"..even though i cant read the chapter..

need your opinion@bogart
Old 2014-09-08, 23:57   Link #3450
Bogart
Banned

"I am the son of Solomon, bitches! Do what I say!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhazard View Post
Comes with the MC package

Jokes aside, yeah, compared to Alibaba, Aladdin does get it easier in regard to moral challenges.
It's not even like the situations Aladdin faces are any less complicated. He just gets to steam roll everything and no one gets in his way.
Old 2014-09-09, 00:11   Link #3451
Redhazard
Desert Man

Quote:
Let's be fair, Al-Thamen is trying to destroy the world and they need to be stopped.

In light of that, everyone worrying about who gets to be king of the hill is more than a little petty. Aladdin trying to get everyone to work together just makes sense.

That said, I expect all nations involved to back stab each other at least once.

Last edited by Redhazard; 2014-09-09 at 00:33.
Redhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 00:18   Link #3452
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:

Spoiler for spoiler:
I never even said anything about being right or wrong...just why he gets the spotlight so much instead of Alibaba...
Old 2014-09-09, 00:25   Link #3453
dazo

Quote:
In light of that, everyone worrying about who gets to be king of the hill is more than a little petty. Aladdin trying to be everyone to work together just makes sense.
that sound...familiar

Quote:
That said, I expect all nations involved to back stab each other at least once.
i cant wait for that moment..yes.......burn slowly, new world
Old 2014-09-09, 00:57   Link #3454
Bogart
Banned

Quote:
I never even said anything about being right or wrong...just why he gets the spotlight so much instead of Alibaba...
He doesn't actually get much spotlight though. Even in the Hogwarts arc, he was a side character. However, he did act of his own accord in that war, but despite participating in a war, he managed to escape actually facing a challenging situation. He basically did what he wanted and no one tried to stop him.

It would seem that this might be the first major arc where he actually tries to do something, but it's wrong. We just spent an entire arc showing what happened to a planet, how the decisions the people made there lead to it's destruction, and now it seems that Aladdin is expecting people to simply side with him.
Old 2014-09-09, 06:45   Link #3455
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

So? What's wrong with siding with him?

"Hey guys, I don't want to repeat what happened on the previous world on this one so let me show you what happened. Now that you know what I know, we can actually talk about how to prevent this from occurring."

Somehow I don't get the impression that Aladdin wants to become a second Solomon by becoming the One King or whatever. Hell, we all know now that Solomon never even wanted to become the One King in the first place. And how is stopping the war the way he did a bad thing too? So someone with the power to change things from going in the wrong direction is just as wrong because they are doing it their own way?

That's like getting mad at a cop who's trying to prevent you from killing yourself - it's their JOB. And before you say that stopping the war wasn't Aladdin's job, it IS. This is the job that he decided for himself to do. He's using a Magi's power (his mother's power), to prevent Al Tharmen from pulling Black God back down to kill everything on this planet as well. So if it means steamrolling a few wars (with little to no casualties from the time of his involvement to the end) in order to prevent the death of the planet, by all means.

Sure, even Aladdin might do things that others may not like but that can wait until his crazy aunt and her people aren't threatening the world and the lives on it because of Arba's twisting of the truth to suit her own ends.
Old 2014-09-09, 07:27   Link #3456
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
He doesn't actually get much spotlight though. Even in the Hogwarts arc, he was a side character. However, he did act of his own accord in that war, but despite participating in a war, he managed to escape actually facing a challenging situation. He basically did what he wanted and no one tried to stop him.

It would seem that this might be the first major arc where he actually tries to do something, but it's wrong. We just spent an entire arc showing what happened to a planet, how the decisions the people made there lead to it's destruction, and now it seems that Aladdin is expecting people to simply side with him.
Why are you trying to make an argument out of this? I was simply responding to a post complaining that the author is trying to shove Aladdin down our throats because he's popular, which is incorrect. She's "shoving Aladdin down our throats" the same way that Kishimoto shoves Naruto or Oda shoves Luffy down our throats, because they are the protagonists. They are the protagonists thus the "camera" follows them, the story follows them and their surroundings.

In the "Hogwarts" arc, even if he didn't get that much spotlight (which he did since the manga followed mostly him until the other armies showed up during the war) here's the thing, there WAS a Hogwarts arc...not a Gladiator arc with Alibaba nor a Dark Continent arc with Mor, but a Hogwarts arc, because that was where Aladdin was, while the rest of the characters got their personal arcs told in short flashbacks.

As for, who's right and who's wrong, who should follow who and who shouldn't...that's an argument I'm not even gonna touch simply because I know it'll just devolve into a useless discussion filled with biased opinions from both sides and will achieve nothing. Mostly why I try to stay away from most discussions about this manga since it touches on morality and such touchy subjects so much.
Old 2014-09-09, 08:41   Link #3457
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Killing a whole world is always on the wrong side of moral, unless that world is filled with evil bankers .
Old 2014-09-09, 08:49   Link #3458
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
Killing a whole world is always on the wrong side of moral, unless that world is filled with evil bankers .
Would evil politicians also count? I think they should...cause Evil.
Old 2014-09-09, 09:03   Link #3459
Kazu-kun

What Aladdin is asking might seem like the reasonable thing to do, but he's been blindsided by his personal feelings and doesn't see the big picture.

Spoiler for 238:

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-09-09 at 09:59.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 09:34   Link #3460
Bogart
Banned

Quote:
In the "Hogwarts" arc, even if he didn't get that much spotlight (which he did since the manga followed mostly him until the other armies showed up during the war) here's the thing, there WAS a Hogwarts arc...not a Gladiator arc with Alibaba nor a Dark Continent arc with Mor, but a Hogwarts arc, because that was where Aladdin was, while the rest of the characters got their personal arcs told in short flashbacks.
Hogwarts arc was about Tidus and Mognastadt. Aladdin was just an observer and barely contributed anything outside of over-powered magical displays.

Quote:
As for, who's right and who's wrong, who should follow who and who shouldn't...that's an argument I'm not even gonna touch simply because I know it'll just devolve into a useless discussion filled with biased opinions from both sides and will achieve nothing. Mostly why I try to stay away from most discussions about this manga since it touches on morality and such touchy subjects so much.
Which is the core of my problem; Aladdin avoids those conflicts and just does what he wants. He's above it all even when he's in the thick of it.

Tags
fantasy, licensed, manga, shounen