AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Tomoyo Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 161 54.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 83 27.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 9.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 4.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.01%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.34%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.34%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-16, 11:54   Link #21
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

*inner fanboy awakens*

*constantly refreshing BT page*
Old 2008-07-16, 21:42   Link #22
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Man I cant wait to see this so I can rage and whine about the fact that I hate Tomoyo and this is not a Kyou OVA.
Old 2008-07-16, 21:52   Link #23
Master Anime
Miracle Man
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Master Anime
Tomoyo Route Finally
Make me shed some tears
Old 2008-07-17, 00:00   Link #24
Stargaze
Lost in the starry sky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Anime View Post
Tomoyo Route Finally
Make me shed some tears
It made me shed some aready
Old 2008-07-17, 00:45   Link #25
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiyakikung View Post
Umm!Is the sub out yet? I can't find it any where.
I'm working hard, be patient!
Old 2008-07-17, 00:56   Link #26
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

For a single episode compression of a mid-length story, it's a lot better than the mid-season hack job they made on the sister's route. Of course I can't understand the dialogue, so I had to base it on my memory of the game script.

Nicely done Tomoyo route. If KyoAni could do this in 30min, than I can't really wait for AS.
Old 2008-07-17, 04:33   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hmmm, Even never buying into hype and such, somehow to me the animation doesn't seem as up to snuff with this one as other people are claiming. Maybe I've just been watching to much Macross Frontier and just watched Bonen No Xamdou, but given Kyoani's reputation for overwhelming budget busting animation I sort of expected more. I wonder if they can even truly be considered the best animators out there any more as well not that I think such a thing is measurable as animation quality will always vary.

Also the scene with low colour while probably meant to be expressive in some manner also strikes me as an attempt to save money as well. Maybe I'm also just a bit bored with Kyoto Animations character designs as well. Who knows. Something is just not adding up here. As much as I am a frequent critic of their style of comedy and storytelling I still normally can normally say at the end of the day that I think they've put the maximum effort into the animation department. Today I don't think I can though.

Anywho, what I can say is that at the end of the day they came to work, did their adaptation and went home. Of course the episode is in the half hour format and as such it can't be considered a true arc, but if you piece together everything that has come before it in the TV Series then I'm sure one can construct a longer narrative for themselves. I can assume that the decision to do a Tomoyo OVA stems from the overwhelming popularity (that I personally can't understand) of the character and a desire to please that set of fans. Kyoani knows their audience and knows it well, unfortunately I'm still on the fringe it, but I know when I'm not the target now and will embrace it for what it is. Can't say it changed my mind about the rest of the series though which remains good, but nothing groundbreaking for me.

Just as a question of curiousity, shouldn't Kyoani consider a Kyou OVA? I mean that character also seems crazy popular and if she's skipped over then the Kyou fanboys will fight with the Tomoyo fanboys and then with Kyoani and then holy smokes there goes a group of fans posting on 2ch about how Kyoani screwed them! I wouldn't screw with these type of Otaku. I don't know what Kyoani is thinking but I'll give them that they are brave if a little brash.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-07-17 at 04:57.
Old 2008-07-17, 04:59   Link #28
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Well, you know that in Macross Frontier their faces aren't good enough (and I don't like their face-drawing style) and 3d is simple sometimes (check cars, for example. But in battle parts it's nice). 3d part of their animation is good, of course, but sometimes there is small lack in non-3d parts. And as for backgrounds - a real lack of small details sometimes.

As for Clannad - check their face animation, hair wavings, their smooth moves, nice backgrounds. I can call the best animators ever only 3 or 5 studios. For example, Mad House (not all their works, but a lot of them, even if this work is something awfull, but animation always will be nice. Check, for example, Cardcaptor Sakura, so smooth animation in 1999, oh my... ! ) Kyoto Animation (Kanon 2006 is the best here, this snow flakes, snowy overview and this amazing lights. And smooth animation, their emotions are close to real) Clannad is nice, but isn't the same as Kanon 2006, but animation is smooth, drawnig is nice with a small details, well.

Quote:
Also the scene with low colour while probably meant to be expressive in some manner also strikes me as an attempt to save money as well.... they've put the maximum effort into the animation department
Any examples with screens ?

Last edited by Littm; 2008-07-17 at 05:10.
Old 2008-07-17, 05:04   Link #29
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
maybe we could get a kyou OVA
"Mahou Shoujo Kyou-chan"
like in ep 13
Old 2008-07-17, 05:35   Link #30
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
Well, you know that in Macross Frontier their faces aren't good enough (and I don't like their face-drawing style) and 3d is simple sometimes (check cars, for example. But in battle parts it's nice). 3d part of their animation is good, of course, but sometimes there is small lack in non-3d parts. And as for backgrounds - a real lack of small details sometimes.

As for Clannad - check their face animation, hair wavings, their smooth moves, nice backgrounds. I can call the best animators ever only 3 or 5 studios. For example, Mad House (not all their works, but a lot of them, even if this work is something awfull, but animation always will be nice. Check, for example, Cardcaptor Sakura, so smooth animation in 1999, oh my... ! ) Kyoto Animation (Kanon 2006 is the best here, this snow flakes, snowy overview and this amazing lights. And smooth animation, their emotions are close to real) Clannad is nice, but isn't the same as Kanon 2006, but animation is smooth, drawnig is nice with a small details, well.

Any examples with screens ?
Here are a couple:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/imag...Large%2032.jpg

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/imag...Large%2028.jpg

And no my friend making CG is easy, but making it look good is not. As for Macross Frontier's faces, that's more a character design choice then anything. That is not animation. And as for this episode, I agree that a lot of the times I could count a little extra movement in the facial movement, but it's easy to see how they can do that when you consider the number of still, distance and behind the viewer shots they employed. Take money from one area and employ it in another sort of thing.

And in any case I can tend to say the same about nice backgrounds for a lot of shows. Nice backgrounds tend to be easy to draw as they are often static. The same goes for hair wavings and facial expressions (Just finished a Geass episode today with some good examples of those, especially the latter), smooth movement (just saw some nice examples in Xam'd today as well).

I believe the episode was well animated enough, but I'm a long way off from calling it a bar setting work like some others are. I think that's among the reason why I'm going to give it a 7. Clannad and I seem to have a thing with that number.
Old 2008-07-17, 05:49   Link #31
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
Nice backgrounds tend to be easy to draw as they are often static
No. To draw them proper with a very small details is hard and it will take a lot of time, believe me.
Quote:
The same goes for hair wavings
Really ? This is very hard part in animation, you know. One of the hardest.
Quote:
facial expressions
Proper expressions that are close to real ones is a hard part in animation too.
Quote:
Here are a couple
Well, this isn't really a lack of quality. An example of very bright winter day, I think that you saw them and you will understand it, right ? Of course, this bright light for someone can be a bit specific.

Last edited by Littm; 2008-07-17 at 06:08.
Old 2008-07-17, 06:09   Link #32
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
No. To draw them proper with a very small details is hard and it will take a lot of time, believe me.

Really ? This is very hard part in animation, you know. One of the hardest.

Proper expressions that are close to real ones is a hard part in animation too.

Well, this isn't really lack of quality. An example of very bright winter day, I think that you saw them and you will understand it, right ? Of course, this bright light for someone can be a bit specific.
Yes, I agree, but be that as it may there is still nothing in this episode that would make me say "Wow, I have never seen anything like this before" in terms of visuals. That I in fact have and have even seen some things I felt were as good or better overall the very same day is what I am saying. Kyoani has had a reputation among anime fans for being the best animator out there, but I'm thinking that they are going to have to share that title or give it up in this age. I don't think anyone will dispute that they are good at what they do in this episode nor that they didn't put in a good effort, but if I were to have not taken the common claims of unparalleled visuals with a grain of salt before watching I think I might have ended up disappointed and unimpressed.

And yes it's not a lack of quality in those scenes, I am not saying this, but I am saying it is a scene with low colour. The intentions don't change the reality of it from an animation standpoint so much as what they are trying to imply with the animation. In this case a very common day for me as a Canadian.
Old 2008-07-17, 06:13   Link #33
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
"Wow, I have never seen anything like this before" in terms of visuals
Well, this is true. But in overall - a very good job.
Old 2008-07-17, 06:16   Link #34
Kristen
*Author

*Awaits the sub patiently*

Hopefully I can have my Friday ecstacy again. ^_^
Old 2008-07-17, 06:18   Link #35
Farplaner

I don't disagree with Kaioshin Sama, but I'm surprised that you used Macross Frontier as an example of excellent animation... There were a few episodes where the animation was outright hideous, something I won't say about Clannad.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/imag...eview%2001.jpg

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/imag...Large%2033.jpg

What I'll agree with, is that this episode is not going to win any award for the best ever. It's still very nice, comparable to other episodes.
Old 2008-07-17, 09:17   Link #36
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Excellent animation is subjective. Kyoto Animation clearly prides themselves for key consistency and strong usage of lighting layers in its vibrant color template amongst what makes their animation prowess. And to a lesser degree, 1st-person perspective. They seems to quite good at that. I won't deny that they indeed have good animation, but if you strip all the colors away and watch the animation solely from a storyboard perspective, at times, the concept of 'better animation' becomes lesser defined.

Of course, comparisons with Macross Frontier (( better animated scenes )) and X'amd are not very fair. Due to the type of material in the Tomoyo OVA, the more expressive scenes come in expression and emotion. If anything, comparisons with TokiKake and Shinkai would work better in terms of the atmosphere behind the animation as well as the tone of the colors used, which of course, was not remotely as well done as the aforementioned movies.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-07-17, 17:11   Link #37
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

No, no, no Kaoshin la, this is what we call consistency. How would you react if Ep24 suddenly came out with the regular series' Illusionary World animation? Sure, people will say, HOLY SHIT, this one's got
Quote:
unparalleled visuals
, but wouldn't you feel more at home if it uses the series' usual animation styles? And since you're watching more recent shows from good and well-known studios, then it's a given that their animation quality's gonna be ahead of Clannad by a good 3 months at least. Clannad isn't KyoAni's most beautifully animated work IMO, as I believe that Haruhi is still their most beautifully animated series.

Also, you got the genres wrong Kaoshin la. You can't label this as mecha/action just because there's an Illusionary World robot. Clannad is slice-of-life/romance/drama/comedy, and obviously one wouldn't go comparing the animation of action/fighting scenes, explosions and general chaos to people talking, walking, eating, making some jokes and cool poses, more walking and talking... maybe let's add in some crying and more talking... you get the point.

And would you mind giving us a link to those people posting about this episode's
Quote:
unparalleled visuals
so we may all scorn on their biased reviews and blind KyoAni fanboyism?

----------

On topic though, I have been looking forward to this Ep ever since it was announced. Will rate and post thoughts/comparisons later after I have finished watching the subs.

And if ever there's gonna be a Kyou route OVA, please make it be an excellent adaptation of her route in the game. Also, make it more than 23 minutes this time please. Two 23-minute OVAs would be great.
Old 2008-07-17, 19:34   Link #38
Kristen
*Author

Just finished watching the episode.

As I thought, this really was not one of the better episodes of the series. But, it was a tall task Kyoto Animation had, so I can imagine why it would not be. It was based off of one of the routes I didn't really like, and it was trying to compress something like 15 days of gameplay into 25 minutes. As such, it became really rushed and did not really attempt to invoke the emotions too well.
However, I am glad that they released this episode. It was still Clannad, and all Clannad has a sort of happy feeling flowing through it. Art quality did not seem to be up to par with other episodes, but that may have just been from the version I was watching. I was also happy that they didn't end it with the dango song, making it more likely for a different ending song next season (Two Shadows? Chiisana Tenohira?) It definitely was missing something with the track "Ushio" during the promo screen cut out, and I didn't like the 16:9.

Overall, this episode was a 7, but it was quite a warm up making me excited for what should come in 2 months. ^_^
Old 2008-07-17, 19:46   Link #39
Westlo
Lets be reality

frontier has some of the best looking backgrounds i've seen in a long time for a tv series.. the episode 6 pan from where ranka as to Sheryl's concert was great for example...

anyway really looking forward to this, i hope they eventually do a tomoyo after anime.
Old 2008-07-17, 21:47   Link #40
SkoolRumble4Ya

Subs are out and I can't wait to watch it tonight.
Closed Thread