AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-01, 19:16   Link #10921
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Honestly, I've never understood Index's magic system. Never explained in a clear way tbh. All we've ever gotten are 'meh'. Science on the other hand...

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-06-01, 19:45   Link #10922
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Its been explained a couple of times. Things to do with the energy of the earth and aligning your magic with an angel.
Old 2011-06-01, 19:55   Link #10923
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Or you can do what Kamachi did and typed 'magician' and 'really exist' on a search engine.

There are alot of rules with Magic, Kamachi mentioned that it's almost like a science, or a cooking recipe as it were. Similarly to Science- You can't just say "explain the basic of Science to me". Where do you start? Physic? Math? Chemistry? If it works for General Relativity why doesn't it work for Quantum Mechanics etc etc?

But like I've said, sometimes it works for people, sometimes it doesn't. The point is, Kamachi doesn't want his magic to be like any other generic magic system in fiction; which are usually a RPG-ish style or magi-tech hybrid.
Old 2011-06-01, 19:57   Link #10924
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

While it's sad that js06 has -apparently- been too busy today, we have that fortunately teh Ping has been a dear and updated chapter 1 for both, Volume 4 and Volume 5

.... So, Sasha is 13 and she already tucks down brandy? That's cool and even takes me back

BTW I noticed some oddities, such as when Accelerator strips Last Order I'm pretty sure that the raw says "she couldn't follow the situation", instead of could.... or that " 竜神 " "Tatsugami" was given the reading of "Ryukami" instead of Tatsugami (BTW, it's kinda ironic that Kamijou's mother side last name can be read as "Dragon God"),

.... Where are we supposed to point out these things? On the page of the project or is there a thread on the forum :P

Last edited by Okashira; 2011-06-01 at 20:36.
Old 2011-06-01, 20:09   Link #10925
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
BTW I noticed some oddities, such as when Accelerator strips Last Order I'm pretty sure that the raw says "she couldn't follow the situation", instead of could.... or that " 竜神 " "Otohime" was given the reading of "Ryukami" instead of Otohime (BTW, it's kinda ironic that Kamijou's mother side last name can be read as "Dragon God"),
Where do you get dragon god?
Old 2011-06-01, 20:33   Link #10926
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

竜 = dragon
神 = god

How can it be as simple as that?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-06-01, 20:34   Link #10927
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Where do you get dragon god?
Tatsugami = 竜神 = (alternative reading) Ryujin / Dragon God
(Oh and it was Tatsugami, silly mistake since I'm bad with names :P)
Old 2011-06-01, 20:41   Link #10928
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
Honestly, I've never understood Index's magic system. Never explained in a clear way tbh. All we've ever gotten are 'meh'. Science on the other hand...
That's because it varies from culture to culture. While Kanzaki uses a mixture of Shinto and Christian magic, Sasha concentrates on the more eastern culture of Russia.

But in the end, I suppose it boils down to this: "Have mana and rituals, will do magic."
Old 2011-06-01, 20:41   Link #10929
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

I thought her name was Kamijo shina since they never said her last name.
Old 2011-06-01, 20:44   Link #10930
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It's probably Shiina (Tatsugami) Kamijou, since Shiina would adopt Touya's surname upon marriage.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-06-01, 20:56   Link #10931
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
That's because it varies from culture to culture. While Kanzaki uses a mixture of Shinto and Christian magic, Sasha concentrates on the more eastern culture of Russia.

But in the end, I suppose it boils down to this: "Have mana and rituals, will do magic."
Between what Index and Stiyl said we have a pretty good idea of what's magic about.

Magic is basically a "way to do things that you can't do normally", in order words is something that aims to achieve the impossible, however to do "magic" you need preparation, between the things that you need to prepare are the "area of effect", the "materials for the magic" and what you actually want to do, the "objective". The more "ambitious" the objective or your area of effect is, the more bitching preparations are needed to accomplish it.

"Magic" on itself necessarily doesn't need "a trained magic power" (for example Fukiyose could trigger the Short Hand) but doing the proper preparations does need "magic power" which is usually provided by the caster (but it can be provided by "magic objects" or borrowed from the place, like what Touya accidentally did in Angel Fall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
I thought her name was Kamijo shina since they never said her last name.
That's not her maiden last name. I'm assuming 2 things here, that they followed the normal procedure on marriage (girls changes her last name, as opposed to guy marrying into a clan) and secondly, that Otohime is the daughter's of Shiina's male close relative (like a brother or something, thus he has the last name that Shiina had originally).

"OT" Js06 has just updated part 6 of Chapter 1, vol 20. I wonder if we can expect more than one part done during the day? Time will tell.
Old 2011-06-01, 22:53   Link #10932
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post

BTW I noticed some oddities, such as when Accelerator strips Last Order I'm pretty sure that the raw says "she couldn't follow the situation", instead of could.... or that " 竜神 " "Tatsugami" was given the reading of "Ryukami" instead of Tatsugami (BTW, it's kinda ironic that Kamijou's mother side last name can be read as "Dragon God"),
Dragon God, It's really interesting. Touma-kun's family

I wonder if there's more meaning to his family like how can they stay calm knowing an endless bill of hospital expenses. Even with Aleister's bank account as a health insurance. I just can't shake the theory of they knew more than they show. It's like they are keeping a secret or they are more to them than being normal couple.
Old 2011-06-01, 23:17   Link #10933
ellifeedn
Thinker

I like the way magic and esper powers are presented in this series. There are logical explanations (in this series anyway) for how things work. Just as long as it stays away from anything relating to "ki energy".
Old 2011-06-02, 02:14   Link #10934
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Ah, my bad. The first one was patched up, but the second one, I need to go home and check it (or can someone check it for me? That's why I need proofreaders)
Old 2011-06-02, 02:27   Link #10935
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Ah, my bad. The first one was patched up, but the second one, I need to go home and check it (or can someone check it for me? That's why I need proofreaders)
On that very same paragraph Shiina uses the Tatsugami reading for the kanji (which caught me by surprise since it looks like it's not the usual one ( 竜神《たつがみ》 ))

It is in page 74, part 2 of chapter 1

Quote:
「あらあら、当麻ちゃん? 忘れているのかしら。それじゃ|竜神《たつがみ》のおじさんやおばさんも?確かに当麻ちゃんは幼稚園を卒園した後はすぐに学園都市に送ってそれ以来だけど、 それはちよっとあらあらね。昔は乙姫ちゃんと同じ|布団《ふとん》で昼寝とかしていたのに」
The wikis also use that reading if that sounds reassuring to anyone (for example Atwiki)

-- Putting flags on your cousins, that's what's childhood is all about.
Old 2011-06-02, 02:32   Link #10936
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

No, I mean the Volume 5 part.
Old 2011-06-02, 10:40   Link #10937
shinryu43

Talking

uh... guys could you lend me a hand?? I want to have the untranslated version of volume 20 to volume 22 so please could you send it to me via messages???

I want to help out with the translation work so please just send me the full version of the untranslated ones!!!

thanks!!!!
Old 2011-06-02, 10:49   Link #10938
tsunade666

I think this is not the place to ask that but you want the raw? in image raw format or in text raw format?
Old 2011-06-02, 11:57   Link #10939
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
No, I mean the Volume 5 part.
!! (ooppps)

Quote:
 事態に心がついていけないのか、彼女はリアクションを忘れて|呆然《ぼうぜん》と突っ立っていた。
It's the last line of page 33 in the original novel.

--

Speaking of, right now vol 04, chapter 1 Part 1 is now translated. Gotta love a good morning read while the boss is not in your shoulder screaming at ya.

-- Checking again, part 5 for Vol 5, chapter 1 is also there now.

Last edited by Okashira; 2011-06-02 at 12:07.
Old 2011-06-02, 13:56   Link #10940
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I think this is not the place to ask that but you want the raw? in image raw format or in text raw format?
I told him to go here since the main translators for the projects are here and they can help him.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen