AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-08-10, 15:25   Link #21
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Um, you know, I'm going to say something really obvious right now, because someone has to do it:

I really, really don't think most people actually *think* about the descriptions for the numbers. They judge things by the 10's and the 1's, not whether the 10 means "Perfect" vs "Near Perfect" vs "Excellent." Not to mention English absolutely sucks at clarifying some of these scaled words. Perfect, and near perfect are clear enough. But is excellent better than great? Bad and poor, which is worse? Does anybody actually waste time thinking about that [of course they do, it's the Internet] or do they just look at whether Excellent and Great comes first and grasp it that way?

Now, the way people use these numbers are different, but that's another point, another debate. The old "Person A only votes 10 after 10 minutes of pretentious postur-, er, logical reasoning, Person B votes 10 because moeeeeee" problem.

The only time I see someone make a point about the description itself is because they just wanted to disagree. Say, they don't like an episode, or they sort of like it but have some issues, or they are in a thinking, cautious mood, the "9.5 is the best I'm ever going to give" mood, and then they see lots of 10's, which don't please them, they latch on to that, and then they pick on the wording of what the 10's are supposed to mean. It's an ex post facto thing. Nobody actually stops and change their mind because "oh, it's just supposed to mean 'Near Perfect.'" Then they'll just complain that the episode in question is nowhere near perfect.

In short, it's fluff. If you keep the same numbering system, call it whatever.

The "hijacked" debate on whether the 1 to 10 scale thing is the best or not, however, is a more valid one. Maybe simplification is good, maybe the 1 to 10 thing *is* the simplification (base 10, y'know); I don't particularly have a stake on this -- I don't vote on episodes usually -- but I do have one thing to add: don't do the Like/Dislike system, or I'll troll it real hard. No Facebook-ification of forums. No. Please.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 15:46   Link #22
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
9.99999.... =10

But yes, it's not a big deal, but then again honestly I thought the Naruto boards descriptions are the best.

Or perhaps, we should add an option above 10 as "over 9000", preferably with a picture of Vegeta breaking the scouter.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-08-10 at 15:57.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 18:46   Link #23
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
In short, it's fluff. If you keep the same numbering system, call it whatever.
Triple never said otherwise, though; he's not saying that this is a big deal, he stated as much in post 19. It's just a matter of possibly making the fluff a bit more fun, not of taking it deathly seriously.

Though, I do think the polls have some value, at least with certain people. I mean, I don't think I've voted on a poll in months and rarely look at the results, but it can be kinda neat sometimes to go "Hey, ____ voted this episode a 10, he never does that. This episode must've really been something special to him."
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 20:25   Link #24
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Triple never said otherwise, though; he's not saying that this is a big deal, he stated as much in post 19. It's just a matter of possibly making the fluff a bit more fun, not of taking it deathly seriously.

Though, I do think the polls have some value, at least with certain people. I mean, I don't think I've voted on a poll in months and rarely look at the results, but it can be kinda neat sometimes to go "Hey, ____ voted this episode a 10, he never does that. This episode must've really been something special to him."
Not questioning the "fun" value there, I wouldn't ask a popular feature removed even if I rarely use it, nor implying that Triple was being all serious business. I just got the feeling people are a bit stuck over arbitrary word choices skimming through the proposal posts when it has virtually zero impact on why someone picks a rating. Except for the Lit Major freaks, we usually make sense of a rating system by putting best choice to worst choice and count the in-betweens.

I mean, you yourself paid attention to the 10's, the best possible rating, not the descriptive part, no?

Personally I would have gone for the snark in my descriptions. For the lulz.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 21:00   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
More fun and lighthearted. I thought the suggested changes would make the ratings a bit less SRS BSNS, since "near perfect" is less firm than "perfect", and "torturous" honestly makes me think of hilariously emphasized scathing reviews by people like Simon Cowell and Gordon Ramsay.

But maybe it's better to focus on the rating system scale itself.

Personally, after giving it some thought, I think that a 7-point scale might be ideal.

One major reason being that I don't think most people here really distinguish between the 2, 3, and 4 ratings. I think that people just take all three to mean "Very bad, but not so totally terrible that I want to give this show the ultimate insult of a '1' rating".

So fusing 2 through 4 into one rating would bring us down to 8 ratings. But I think having an odd-numbered scale allows for a rating to occupy a clear "mid-point" or "average" so let's further bring it down to 7 ratings.

So something like...

7 - Absolutely Awesome
6 - Very Good
5 - Good/Cool
4 - So-So/Average
3 - Bad/'Meh'
2 - Very Bad
1 - Absolutely Atrocious

Might work well. Feel free to sub in more colorful terms, though.
Old 2012-08-10, 21:36   Link #26
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The 7 point system is basically the same as what I was suggesting with the +/- system earlier (but I do wonder if the numbers are necessary, as was proposed earlier). I would still prefer a scale of "enjoyment" rather than "good or bad" (because there are lots of ways of measuring "goodness", but enjoyment is more clean-cut).
Old 2012-08-11, 00:10   Link #27
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
No Facebook-ification of forums. No. Please.
Never gonna happen.
Old 2012-08-20, 00:11   Link #28
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The 7 point system is basically the same as what I was suggesting with the +/- system earlier (but I do wonder if the numbers are necessary, as was proposed earlier). I would still prefer a scale of "enjoyment" rather than "good or bad" (because there are lots of ways of measuring "goodness", but enjoyment is more clean-cut).

Maybe ratings based on enjoyment is a good idea. Maybe something like this:

8 - I loved the episode
7 - I really enjoyed the episode
6 - I enjoyed the episode
5 - I didn't like the episode all that much
4 - I didn't really like the episode
3 - I didn't enjoy the episode
2 - I really didn't enjoy the episode
1 - I hated the episode

Or maybe make it a 7 point system, with the last two being:

2 - I didn't enjoy the episode
1 - I hated the episode