AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-07-31, 20:42   Link #1
demon2004

Anti virus and firewall

I am looking for an anti virus that will not slow down my computer these are my choices
CA Internet Security Suite 2010 fee from road runner

Mcafee total protection 2010 Free
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avg
if you have any other ideas please let me know and i need a firewall, i have been useing avg the older one but it really didn't do a good job and this is the first time i have used a firewall in over 7 years, also the fire can not mess up my bittorent dowloads
demon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 14:01   Link #2
Tiberium Wolf

Comodo Internet Security. It's free.
Old 2010-08-01, 14:13   Link #3
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

Kaspersky internet security is the best out there. Problem is, it costs 60 bucks =P
Old 2010-08-01, 23:14   Link #4
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

NOD32. Best in the market if you can afford it. Other than that you can use Comodo or Avast.

Otherwise just use your router firewall and set all the stuff yourself.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 08:29   Link #5
Valentina_Sk

Nod32....))
Valentina_Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 12:51   Link #6
zombieChan

Avast is a great one, I have it on all my computers
zombieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 03:14   Link #7
BradF
Evac
*IT Support

I roll with Microsoft Security Essentials

I wanna direct you to this recent digg article Digg. Not so much the contents of the article itself even tho it supports Microsoft Security Essentials, id rather you read over a few of the comments and notice the wide range of users recommending Microsoft Security Essentials.

Doesn't use much resources and its very feature rich.
BradF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 13:16   Link #8
Finalage
*Author

Avast and AVG are two good, free anti virus programs, although I would lean more towards Avast only due to it's overwhelming popularity, thoguh I know for a fact AVG doesn't slow me down.

So I'd chose AVG on your list of choices, since Avast isnt' there. It's lightweight and gets the job done, I barely notice it's there, and the difference of it not being there...I also don't see, besides the fact I'm wide open for things to come and latch on me.
Old 2010-08-10, 05:39   Link #9
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalage View Post
Avast and AVG are two good, free anti virus programs, although I would lean more towards Avast only due to it's overwhelming popularity, thoguh I know for a fact AVG doesn't slow me down.

So I'd chose AVG on your list of choices, since Avast isnt' there. It's lightweight and gets the job done, I barely notice it's there, and the difference of it not being there...I also don't see, besides the fact I'm wide open for things to come and latch on me.
Sorry but I wouldn't use AVG if it was the only free anti-virus around since it doesn't give that much protection plus it has a habit of spouting out false positives.

Avast 5 is vastly lighter on resources then its predecessor (there's only ever two processes running at one time and they only use about 20MB or so of memory)
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 07:24   Link #10
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumugi~ View Post
Kaspersky internet security is the best out there. Problem is, it costs 60 bucks =P
I second this. Out of all the antivirus programs I've tested, Kaspersky was the only one that actually satisfied me - no virus problems, no general slowdown, good user interface, etc.

I am using the old Kaspersky Internet Security 6, by the way, and it's still working as good as in its early days.
Honoakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 09:09   Link #11
Finalage
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Sorry but I wouldn't use AVG if it was the only free anti-virus around since it doesn't give that much protection plus it has a habit of spouting out false positives.

Avast 5 is vastly lighter on resources then its predecessor (there's only ever two processes running at one time and they only use about 20MB or so of memory)
That is why I said I would lean towards Avast, but the original poster claimed they had to chose between those on the list there. AVG has been improving a lot recently, the only qualm I have with them is their kind of annoying "I won't update if your connection isn't one hundred percent the moment the computer starts me, you'll have to deal with it youself after I tell you I can't connect."

The false positives part hasn't bothered me much, they've been improving there too, and I only had one false positive with version eight so far, I haven't tried nine point five.

It is a light-weight virus protection suite, but it will protect you in all normal web surfing situations. Just don't go crazy, just like with any other anti-virus. As I said, I have yet to catch anything.