AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-21, 18:16   Link #281
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen View Post
I'm actually rather disappointed that Dung Beetle just sounds like any other character. I thought the entire point of him having a completely different font from the human characters in the manga was to show that he had an abnormal voice (say, high-pitched, or "electronic") and I was expecting that they would run some sort of effect over the V.A.'s lines. It's not such a big deal in the overall picture, but it seems like the kind of detail that an attentive editorial team would pounce on.
When reading the manga, i always imagined Dung Beetle having a middle aged man voice --- to go with his personality pretty much. Though choosing Kenjiro Tsuda in my opinion was a nice choice.
Old 2007-04-21, 18:51   Link #282
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2.

Well, I sure as hell didn't see that coming.

My suspicion is that wao's speculation is right. If it is, it certainly makes for a great source of drama later on, but as if there's a shortage of those. Nonetheless, if that's right
Spoiler for speculation:
But, I'm seriously intrigued by this. The atmosphere is quite absorbing, and with all the plot elements and character conflicts they're drawing together, they'd have to shoot themselves in the foot for this to not be a winner.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 19:45   Link #283
karumofin

no! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

i finally find a new anime that has potential and then its done by GONZO!!! WHAT THE HELL!! does this studio have people who spend their entire lives on seeking out series that i could like in order to rush them and butcher them and ruin them completely??

first hellsing, then gantz and now this? why is it that they cant just WAIT until the writer of a story is actually finished telling it before animating it? they just are incapable of writing their own ends, how often will they be allowed to do this? ive checked the start of this thread and if the only condition for changing this story is not adding "magic" then maybe its best to avoid this completely... it seems i really need to start reading manga...

just someone... tell me, how many % of the story can i expect to be told?
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 20:13   Link #284
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumofin View Post
Pretty much all of it, thats what we've been given so far apart from a few changes from the manga here and there. & they're not 100% bad changes. So yeah, get of Gonzo's back.

Also, the manga is not complete --- so we'll get a Gonzo ending.
Old 2007-04-21, 20:17   Link #285
karumofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Pretty much all of it, thats what we've been given so far apart from a few changes from the manga here and there. & they're not 100% bad changes. So yeah, get of Gonzo's back.

Also, the manga is not complete --- so we'll get a Gonzo ending.
thats my point, how much of the manga-story will be in the anime? i mean, if we are talking about another hellsing then count me out, on the other hand, if theres only a little bit missing i might jsut watch and skip the gonzo-crap that they will spew out themselves...
Old 2007-04-21, 20:20   Link #286
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
thats my point, how much of the manga-story will be in the anime? i mean, if we are talking about another hellsing then count me out, on the other hand, if theres only a little bit missing i might jsut watch and skip the gonzo-crap that they will spew out themselves...
If you haven't read the manga --- then just sit back and enjoy what you're given. You can complain at Gonzo later if you must. But upto not Gonzo have done a wonderful job.
Old 2007-04-21, 20:30   Link #287
karumofin

Quote:
If you haven't read the manga --- then just sit back and enjoy what you're given. You can complain at Gonzo later if you must. But upto not Gonzo have done a wonderful job.
well i did have a peek into the manga thread to make up my mind about the show and as it seems severe changes in the later storyline are forshadowing with certain details already.
my point is, i will never again sit down to watch a "gonzo"-story, since i have been disapointed time and time again. what i want to see is the story that the manga-writer told so all im asking is how much of that i can expect.
i might sound a little bitte,r but thats only because i really like what i saw in those first two episodes and from what i could put together up to now i will really pulling out my hair towards the end of the anime
Old 2007-04-21, 20:37   Link #288
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
what i want to see is the story that the manga-writer told so all im asking is how much of that i can expect.
1) Then go read the manga.

2) As i said before, apart from some changes nothing major has destroyed the viewing of the first two episodes. Come back and ask that question in a few weeks.
Old 2007-04-21, 20:46   Link #289
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
well i did have a peek into the manga thread to make up my mind about the show and as it seems severe changes in the later storyline are forshadowing with certain details already.
my point is, i will never again sit down to watch a "gonzo"-story, since i have been disapointed time and time again. what i want to see is the story that the manga-writer told so all im asking is how much of that i can expect.
i might sound a little bitte,r but thats only because i really like what i saw in those first two episodes and from what i could put together up to now i will really pulling out my hair towards the end of the anime
Nobody knows. Bokurano is currently serialized in IKKI, and it's not done, so nobody but Kitoh-sensei and the Producers and writers for the anime have any clue as to how it's going to end, and whether the anime is going to end differently.

But speaking as someone who is reading the manga (in scanlations) and watching the anime, I'm not seeing any "severe" changes to the plot. The anime is so far doing the exact same things as the manga so far as I can see. The change of a chair in Zearth's control room, maybe. The change of an enemy robot's design. (Am I missing something important, anybody?) It remains to be seen if they will change anything significant about the story.

However, I've never really been bothered when things are changed from the manga for an anime adaptation. For one thing, they're different mediums. But also, I have often found such changes to be refreshing and even delightful at times. Usually, the anime staff has been faithful to the spirit of the themes, so it's like a different take on things. Of course, I say these things having never seen FMP or Chrno Crusade, or other anime that people complain about gonzo messing up (even if they're not the ones responsible for it...)
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 21:00   Link #290
karumofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
Nobody knows. Bokurano is currently serialized in IKKI, and it's not done, so nobody but Kitoh-sensei and the Producers and writers for the anime have any clue as to how it's going to end, and whether the anime is going to end differently.

But speaking as someone who is reading the manga (in scanlations) and watching the anime, I'm not seeing any "severe" changes to the plot. The anime is so far doing the exact same things as the manga so far as I can see. The change of a chair in Zearth's control room, maybe. The change of an enemy robot's design. (Am I missing something important, anybody?) It remains to be seen if they will change anything significant about the story.

However, I've never really been bothered when things are changed from the manga for an anime adaptation. For one thing, they're different mediums. But also, I have often found such changes to be refreshing and even delightful at times. Usually, the anime staff has been faithful to the spirit of the themes, so it's like a different take on things. Of course, I say these things having never seen FMP or Chrno Crusade, or other anime that people complain about gonzo messing up (even if they're not the ones responsible for it...)
you are certainly right about anime being a different medium. im really forgiving with that actually, for example i find higurashi a good anime-adaption, even knowing full well about all the important things that are missing and have been altered. but all that only because it still stays true to the vision of the story.

Hellsing is a perfect example of where that was NOT the case. the writer set up all the characters and the story and whoever got to write an ending halfway through had absolutely no idea about those characters or their storyline, so that was another really painfull experience. i just hate it when all the chesspieces are carefully put into position and i follow a very well thought out game of chess and then halfway through gonzo shakes the board. a CHANGE, that might be refreshing or delightfull, as you put it, would be taking out a piece of the game or changing one

and just for record, to me that one altered chair seemed to be a very severe change, but of course i dont know any details
Old 2007-04-21, 21:00   Link #291
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
no! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

i finally find a new anime that has potential and then its done by GONZO!!! WHAT THE HELL!! does this studio have people who spend their entire lives on seeking out series that i could like in order to rush them and butcher them and ruin them completely??

first hellsing, then gantz and now this? why is it that they cant just WAIT until the writer of a story is actually finished telling it before animating it? they just are incapable of writing their own ends, how often will they be allowed to do this? ive checked the start of this thread and if the only condition for changing this story is not adding "magic" then maybe its best to avoid this completely... it seems i really need to start reading manga...

Speed Grapher had a great ending. Ok, admittedly Gonzo doesn't have a great track record as far as endings are concerned, but titles like Gankutsuou and Red Garden clearly show that, when they want to, there's no problem with their story-telling. Hellsing and Gantz happened years ago and, if you ask me, it's a different and better Gonzo these days. Personally, I think they'd have to really shoot themselves in the foot to ruin this series, and there's no indication so far that they will. Their recent track record also gives me reason to be optimistic.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 23:29   Link #292
Diedrupo

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

as for Gonzo's track record. They seem to do all right with original series (Gankutsuou) but they tend to majorly screw up works based on manga. They tend to rewrite certain parts of the premises, and they outright change endings or add original stories/chapters. Now the little changes usually are not a big deal, and a certain amount of editing is always necessary to retell a manga in an animated form (time constraints, etc.), but the unnecessary rewrites and changed endings tend to seriously destroy the works. See Welcome to the NHK (almost all of it was changed), or Gantz (lots of annoying changes throughout, but it would have been an OK series if not for the original ending that was done very poorly).

However Bokurano has some decent staff behind it, and the anime will end before the manga does, so I think they will do a good job. It's not like they have something to compare against. I just hope Kitoh has either told them how to end it, or Kitoh is planning something that blow our minds.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 00:34   Link #293
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen View Post
I'm actually rather disappointed that Dung Beetle just sounds like any other character.
I didn't like his voice either, but that's maybe for another, more personal reason. Then I found out that the seiyuu is a really big name among the VAs, which was very surprising for me because I usually acknowledge famous seiyuu's work. ^^;
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 00:44   Link #294
vspirit
...huh?

FMP was messed up? I, for one, thought it was rather nicely executed, from start to finish. And I'm pretty much the kind that stops watching as soon as changes in the anime or the anime itself rubs me the wrong way. It's been like that for me for 80% of GONZO's stuff thus far, and it's really surprising (to me) that FMP isn't one of them. I forget it's GONZO doing too, sometimes. So yeah, they can pull it off if they want to, if they don't pull overly creative stunts.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 01:32   Link #295
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
as for Gonzo's track record. They seem to do all right with original series (Gankutsuou) but they tend to majorly screw up works based on manga. They tend to rewrite certain parts of the premises, and they outright change endings or add original stories/chapters. Now the little changes usually are not a big deal, and a certain amount of editing is always necessary to retell a manga in an animated form (time constraints, etc.), but the unnecessary rewrites and changed endings tend to seriously destroy the works.
I find it sort of amusing that with all this speculation about the anime being different than the manga that people seem to be somehow unaware that one of the selling points of this anime was that it would have it's own original ending--different than the manga's.

Still, nobody seems to want to hear that animators don't have any control over these things--GONZO-hating is a popular sport and no amount of facts will get in the way of that, it seems.

Nevertheless, let me at least set this right: Gankutsuou was not original. It was made from a novel. This novel was written a long time ago by a Frenchman. His name was Alexandre Dumas.

Anyway, I have to say it doesn't bother me in the slightest if the anime is different than the manga. So long as it doesn't become a train wreck (Gantz was a good example, there), a different ending is just fine by me.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 01:41   Link #296
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
FMP was messed up? I, for one, thought it was rather nicely executed, from start to finish. And I'm pretty much the kind that stops watching as soon as changes in the anime or the anime itself rubs me the wrong way. It's been like that for me for 80% of GONZO's stuff thus far, and it's really surprising (to me) that FMP isn't one of them. I forget it's GONZO doing too, sometimes. So yeah, they can pull it off if they want to, if they don't pull overly creative stunts.
People don't really care about the fact that something can be altered and still well executed. They like beating the crap out of anything Gonzo related as a sport like Ueda said. Even though it wasn't entirely Gonzo that did FMP. It's also a double standard because FMP Film Partners Kyoto Animation partnership had alterations too, but nobody ever talks about those for obvious reasons.

I say leave Gonzo alone unless its a change that drastically impacts the overall quality of the series, it shouldn't matter.

I can hardly believe how many times people can go through the same motions with every Gonzo show without considering counter-examples of commonly held generalizations. It's always the same drama with every popular companies series. Gonzo (It's going to be butchered) Sunrise (It's going to trainwreck) Kyoto Animation (It's going to be pushing Moe throughout).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 01:54   Link #297
issei

i'm impressed by bokurano thus far, and looking forward to the rest of the series. certainly there's a lot of subtle potential in the premise, and i've enjoyed the first two episodes, particularly the
Spoiler:
ender's game + battle royale = good times.
Old 2007-04-22, 01:55   Link #298
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Seriously, just watch it and you can complain after the "butchering" has happened.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 05:59   Link #299
karumofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
yeah, i have no idea about the story of the fmp-books, but they treated FMP in a way that allowed the story to be continued faithfully later on. and that is exactly what i would have wished for bokurano, considering the carefully crafted characters i smelled these first two episodes

i find it funny how you keep mentioning Gankutsuou as an example for where gonzo did NOT mess up? turning the count of monte christo into a ruthless villain? hello? was i the really only one feeling that this completely ruined the magnitude of not only the character but also the whole point of the story itself?

i know ill have to accept whatever is thrown at us, but its just so damn frustrating knowing full well that a storyteller doesnt bring up the most intense and interesting stuff at the START of his story... thats the whole problem for me, maybe. if the story is supposed to have a truly magnificent climax with one hell of a plottwist and an ending that leaves you thinking for a long time to come, , in other words a real good payoff, then well, ill never get to see it... i dont understand how the manga-writer can willingly approve of them to changing the story however they like (as stated near the start of the thread).
Old 2007-04-22, 07:38   Link #300
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for fall:

Tags
drama, mecha