AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-28, 21:32   Link #181
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Had a minor argument on this particular subject the other day, so I was meaning to ask...

Is it possible for the Squall and Hurricane LMG's to exist in EC 1935? I've had people telling me that the Squall and other LMG's only existed in 1937 (VC2). I'm hoping VC3 might shed some light on this matter, and I do see what seems to be a Hurricane-A LMG being carried by Kurt Irving on the official VC3 posters, though I'm not certain.

*Edit*

Nevermind, I just found myself an official image proving that the Squall series LMG's existed in 1935:

Kurt is definitely using a Squall-A LMG there.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2011-01-28 at 23:28.
Old 2011-01-28, 23:38   Link #182
Snowman24

Selvaria's Sword: Would you say her Sword is a Rapier or a Broadsword?

I've always just assumed it was a Rapier, based on the hilt and guard. But, in the Anime, when Selvaria goes to rescue Maximilian from the assassins, she engages a large group of them and 'Slashes' all of them. Rapiers are mainly known for being thrusting weapons and I didn't see her do any thrusting in the anime. She also preformed a forward slash when she cut Alicia's bullet in half when she fired at Maximilian.

Also, I was recently doing some shopping and saw some swords in a store that specialized in selling them. The owner said they were broadswords. Their hilt and handguard looked very much like Selvaria's as well. The blade was heavier, and meant more for slashing than thrusting.

What do ya think?
Old 2011-01-29, 03:21   Link #183
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Technically, the Selvaria in the anime and game both use different swords, a broadsword and rapier respectively.

Spoiler for Official Game Art::

Spoiler for Figurine Accesory:

Now, in the game, I notice a basket-hilt, a trait very common in rapiers (although the figurine rapier looks like it has a combination of a basket-hilt, and a cross-guard). That, plus the rather long, thin blade is a common characteristic in thrusting swords. Now, it's possible that the sword Selvaria uses in-game may be a Walloon sword (A Swiss/German/Scandinavian sword like a rapier, except a heftier/wider blade and could be used to cut as well as thrust), though the length of the hilt and the thin-ness of the blade somewhat discourage that. So I'm fairly certain the blade Selvaria carries in-game is a rapier.

Now, looking at the anime...

Spoiler for Anime Opening Screen:

Clearly, the blade is wider, and the basket-hilt has been switched out in favor of a cross-guard. This is more akin to a longsword, or broadsword as Snowman pointed out. I also took another look at the episode where Maximilian was under attack from the assassins, I can say that she uses the same longsword as pictured above.

So, technically, depending on which side you lean on more, you wouldn't exactly be wrong. It all depends on your personal preference towards the anime, or the game.
Old 2011-02-15, 03:23   Link #184
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Not exactly technology, but kinda related...

Do the artbooks show how the Gallian main camouflage scheme looks like? As in its clearest form, and not applied on rifles or tanks? Something like so:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2011-02-15, 12:31   Link #185
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
I can't say it does, but I do know that someone made Lanseal patterns.

That basic pattern is changed to different color (Light/Dark Green, Brown on Tan, Gray on White, etc) for use as camouflage.
Old 2011-02-15, 21:19   Link #186
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
I can't say it does, but I do know that someone made Lanseal patterns.

That basic pattern is changed to different color (Light/Dark Green, Brown on Tan, Gray on White, etc) for use as camouflage.
I'd love to see it, but I can't see jack here.
Old 2011-02-15, 23:11   Link #187
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Oh. Wonderful.

Bonus of it being hosted on the World of Tanks site
Old 2011-02-15, 23:15   Link #188
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Technically, the Selvaria in the anime and game both use different swords, a broadsword and rapier respectively.

Spoiler for Official Game Art::

Spoiler for Figurine Accesory:

Now, in the game, I notice a basket-hilt, a trait very common in rapiers (although the figurine rapier looks like it has a combination of a basket-hilt, and a cross-guard). That, plus the rather long, thin blade is a common characteristic in thrusting swords. Now, it's possible that the sword Selvaria uses in-game may be a Walloon sword (A Swiss/German/Scandinavian sword like a rapier, except a heftier/wider blade and could be used to cut as well as thrust), though the length of the hilt and the thin-ness of the blade somewhat discourage that. So I'm fairly certain the blade Selvaria carries in-game is a rapier.

Now, looking at the anime...

Spoiler for Anime Opening Screen:

Clearly, the blade is wider, and the basket-hilt has been switched out in favor of a cross-guard. This is more akin to a longsword, or broadsword as Snowman pointed out. I also took another look at the episode where Maximilian was under attack from the assassins, I can say that she uses the same longsword as pictured above.

So, technically, depending on which side you lean on more, you wouldn't exactly be wrong. It all depends on your personal preference towards the anime, or the game.
Weighing in on the subject, I guess my view is that what sword she uses can also depend on how you look at her. If you feel that she fights with class ala the knights of old, then the rapier seems to fit that viewpoint rather well as the common perception is that rapiers are harder to use than longswords. On the other hand, if you see her as a more physical swordswoman, then the longsword seems to fit this view.
Old 2011-07-14, 13:27   Link #189
Beri270T3

I’m not sure if this has been brought up yet, or what canon says on it, but what do you folks figure on the ragnoline engines of Valkyria Chronicles? Since it’s liquid fuel then they’d more than likely be using internal combustion and turbine engines. However, what could necessitate the use of radiator plates if the engine could be liquid and/or air cooled? And how might such an engine look because of those rad plates?

Actually I find it perplexing that there is no visible exhaust system, of course I’m thinking in reference to older vehicles since I’ve had trouble when looking at models and pictures of modern armour. This could be just a gameplay thing too and not requiring all that much detail.

When considering the rad plates, it brings up questions. What sort of role do they play in the cooling and/or exhaust system of the tanks and vehicles of the Valkyrian universe? I guess all that comes to mind to me at the moment is that they may be part of a liquid cooling system. Perhaps analogous to the hot water pipe radiators of older buildings. It still doesn’t explain why the plates have a blue luminescence of course. Maybe that glow is related to radiation given off by reacting ragnite such as there being a ragnite additive to the coolant to hold more heat, raise the temperature of the boiling point, and radiate the heat faster; or that the coolant may even be ragnite based.

Anybody else ever wonder about the powerplants used by our favourite VC vehicles?
Old 2011-09-15, 00:40   Link #190
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Thanks; now I'm wondering if the Panzer Cops' 'Protect Gear' could be replicated in the VC universe...

In the prototype designs I've seen for Gallian Panzers, most of the characters had WWII-made German weapons like the STG-44.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2011-09-15, 06:38   Link #191
sora1412

Abit disappointed with the production of valkyria chronicles 3(as in anime).... I mean they mixed up semi-auto rifles with bolt action rifle @@?
Old 2011-09-24, 19:34   Link #192
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

theres not really anything wrong with cycling semi-auto rifles manually, it can and is done under circumstances even today.

It looks much nicer in animation too i think, more dynamic
but yea as for reasons...lol
Old 2011-09-25, 03:42   Link #193
Snowman24

The most logical reason is this... WHY send in a 'Suicide Squad' with advanced or current Gallian weaponary technology? They're SUPPOSED to die during their mission or suffer severe casualties, meaning most of the men and women send on that mission will die with their weapons in hand. And after the imps strip their dead bodies, would Gallia risk them discovering new/current technology? Or weapons and armour that CAN be spared with those who are 'Expendable'???

It's like if a GARAND was sending in during the American civil war, the garand is a gas operated rifle, a semi-auto. So what would happen if you send in a squad/brigade/whatever during a major battle, expecting that all the people you sent in to die, carrying the Garand in a black powder war? If you did that, you'd give the enemy superior technology and advanced technology against you... Now... who would do that?
Old 2011-09-25, 06:52   Link #194
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I wouldn't go as far to comparing a Garand to say a Springfield musket. The weaponry enhancements are hardly that revolutionary. What, an extended magazine, longer barrel (not always a good thing) and higher damaging ammunition?

It's more akin to say the German forces of WWI facing off against Commonwealth forces. The Gewehr 98 vs the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield. Both great rifles but each having their own share of advantages and disadvantages.

The Gewehr and it's 8x57mm round offering higher damage, penetration and longer effective range than the .303 Brit.
The Enfield's ten round (box) magazine compared to the internal five round magazine of the Gewehr.
The Gewehr is regarded as a more accurate rifle but longer whereas the Enfield is a handier and faster cycling action.

All good features on their own, of which would warrant a change/redesign in the standard issue rifle of either side.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2011-09-25, 18:19   Link #195
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Something a comparison to what Snowman had said, and a real-life scenario very similar to what you said: The Confederates finding the Henry Rifle.

Basically, at the time, most soldiers from both sides were armed with, as fallschirmjager said, a Springfield Musket. However, there were a lot of special Union rifle divisions, armed with a lever-action rifle that could hold up to 15 rounds: The 1860 Henry.

Now, this rifle was mostly bought on personal funds, but it gave the Union an incredible edge over the Confederacy. And the thing is, even when Confederate soldiers were able to kill a Henry rifleman, there were a lot of things to consider that made the Henry impractical to the Confederates, most notable of which was the special ammunition the Henry used, and how that most ammo made universally were simple lead balls. Henry .44 rounds were specially shaped, and jacketed. There's also the issue that armorer's often had hard times trying to figure out the mechanical workings of the Henry.

If a Confederate team stumbled upon an M1 Garand, like you say Snowman, they're gonna run into a lot of troubles understanding the ammunition and technology, likely for several years until they can comprehend it.
Old 2011-09-25, 19:32   Link #196
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
The most logical reason is this... WHY send in a 'Suicide Squad' with advanced or current Gallian weaponary technology?
Of course, the fact that the Gallian Army (or, certain people within it) consider such formations an acceptable practice plays nicely into the 'Black and Grey Morality' trope; bonus points if whoever generated the mission actually takes steps to ensure few if any survivors (i.e. withholding dustoff, calling artillery on the area knowing full well they are still there, and so on).

Quote:
Now... who would do that?
Folks like Damon come to mind, since you asked.
Old 2011-09-26, 16:15   Link #197
Beri270T3

It makes sense to send a sucide unit in with as much firepower as they can carry, however rejected and unreliable weapons would be the better choice for equipment. Assigning a tank, especially one so advanced, to such a unit is lunacy. That may be similar to what Snow pointed out. On top of that there are further issues with maintenance and supply. Isara would have had a hard enough time keeping the Edelweiss in running condition if there were other experimental units to use for spares and depending on what equipment the army and navy had. It's a granted the Empire would have developed a counter even if the 422nd did not have their tank, but deploying said tank with them is not a bright decision.
But why have a suicide unit at all when those same weapons can be used to add additional firepower to poorly equipped militia rifle sections, or support troops like cooks, enginneers, transportation and supply, and so forth?

Using Damon as a scapegoat for just about anything comes easy, but it's stale. It seems the opposite of what he'd do. Reasons political and or bureacratic might be a better explaination.

The VCIII OVA was nice, but almost all my gripes centre around that tank.
Old 2011-09-28, 08:37   Link #198
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

ahh but it feels like they've come gone along way since the TV
Closed Thread