AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 10:45   Link #941
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

This week's title poem is #4. Here is Mostow's translation:

As I set out on
the beach of Tago, and look,
I see the snow constantly falling
on the high peak of Fuji,
white as mulberry cloth.

The waka contains the only reference in the 100 Poems to Mount Fuji. The title accordingly is a pointer to the Fujisaki team, which, as the stylized image of Mount Fuji on the back of their team shirts shows, links its school's name to the that of the mountain.

It's interesting that the one card we see Chihaya place, as she sets up her formation, is #2. Here's Mostow's translation:

Spring has passed,
and summer has arrived, it seems.
Heavenly Mount Kagu
where, it is said, they dry robes
of the whitest mulberry.

Besides a shared third line, shiro-tahe no, the white mulberry cloth or robes, the two poems share a mountain motif, Fuji and Kagu. Mount Kagu is one of the three mountains of Yamato, which, along with Mount Unebi and Mount Miminashi, surrounded the early capital at Fujiwara-no-Miya. A poem by Emperor Tenji, the author of the very first poem in the Hyakunin Isshu, describes these mountains as rivals:

Mount Kagu strove with Mount Miminashi
For the love of Mount Unebi.
Such is love since the age of the gods;
As it was thus in the early days,
So people strive for spouses even now.

Likewise, in the anime Kagu strives with Fuji, as Mizusawa strives with Fujisaki, not for love, but to be the best high school team in Japan.

-----

Two other quick notes. Kana's soliloquy to the moon reprises #86. Here once more is Mostow's translation:

"Lament!" does it say?
Is it the moon that makes me
dwell on things? --No, and yet,
look at the tears flowing down
my reproachful face!

Kana's question to Miyauchi, "How did the monk Saigyo feel when he looked up at the moon!?" refers to the historical argument over the meaning of the poem: is the poem a love poem, where the moon stands for a lover who has rejected the poet, causing his tears to flow, or does the moon itself evoke by its own beauty the poet's passionate response?

Finally, various posters have noted how bizarre the Fujisaki team is. So they are, each player in his or her way. But the reason for it is given by Kana's question, after watching their antics: "What's going on? / Why is Fujisaki so relaxed?" By being relaxed, however ridiculous the reason, the Fujisaki players can play at an exceptionally high level. As we saw in the last episodes, with Kana touching Chihaya's shoulder and Taichi unfolding her hand, the theme of playing relaxed comes up again in the anime.

it's hard to believe Fujisaki is relaxed, after all the recriminations over benching Manata and the ill-feeling toward Rion. At least in team cohesion and camaraderie, Mizusawa has Fujisaki beat.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter

Last edited by hyperborealis; 2013-04-25 at 11:15.
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 18:19   Link #942
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

its been 15 episodes and they still haven't started on the final team match.

by the rate this is going 2 individual matches will be shown and then it will be the end.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 19:36   Link #943
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

If I might make a suggestion to anime-only viewers:

It might be more worthwhile to focus on what the author is trying to do with showing so much of the high school tournament this year.

If you keep expecting that the story will reach a certain point based on the first season, or based on your expectation that we will get to the end of the story this season, you will probably be disappointed. This season does not mirror the first, and I am glad for that, because it would be incredibly predictable if it did.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 01:28   Link #944
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
If you keep expecting that the story will reach a certain point based on the first season, or based on your expectation that we will get to the end of the story this season, you will probably be disappointed.
Oh, I'm not disappointed at all. Just the opposite, in fact, because I'm curious to see which way the story is going to go.

I would expect them to reach a conclusion of some sort at the end of this season, unless they're really confident of being renewed. Maybe not the final ending, but some kind of an ending.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 19:19   Link #945
Guitaraholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
If you keep expecting that the story will reach a certain point based on the first season, or based on your expectation that we will get to the end of the story this season, you will probably be disappointed. This season does not mirror the first, and I am glad for that, because it would be incredibly predictable if it did.
As the last post pointed out, I'm not disappointed either, but I am surprised the story hasn't progressed to the Individual tourneys in order to be able to do a Master/Queen episode as well before the end of the Season.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Guitaraholic; 2013-04-25 at 09:38.
Guitaraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 02:21   Link #946
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaraholic View Post
As the last post pointed out, I'm not disappointed either, but I am surprised the story hasn't progressed to the Individual tourneys in order to be able to do a Master/Queen episode as well before the end of the Season.
Then perhaps the logical conclusion is that we aren't going to get to the Queen/Meijin matches this season?

If you think about it, it makes sense as well, because we expect at least Chihaya and Arata to get further in the qualifiers, right? If so, how much time do you think will be spent covering those matches? Far more than the 3 for the qualifiers and the two for the championship matches that we got in the first season I'd say.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2013-05-16 at 19:24.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:36   Link #947
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This week's episode is a recap.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Old 2013-04-26, 16:03   Link #948
YourIdeas

Recap. A lot less omake than Season 1's recap though. Summed up, for anyone who doesn't care to sift through 22 minutes of recap:

Spoiler:
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:23   Link #949
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
Spoiler:
Adding a little more to YourIdeas' spoiler.
Spoiler for follow on comment:

FYI: Stay for post-credit scenes.
Spoiler for post credits scene:

There really isn't much new to comment on, so I'll take this time to say that I love the new BGM music they've added this season. I especially love the music that starts up at the Megumu recap. It reminds me of the music in Starblazers when that series wanted to indicate a ramp up in dedication, purpose, and union. It's a little disco-y in rhythm and feel, but since I'm from that era, I don't mind at all. It gets me excited every time. Just as intended.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2013-04-26 at 16:25. Reason: fixed spoiler code
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 18:46   Link #950
LeoXiao
思想工作

I love how this anime makes you want to pair Taichi with Chihaya but she's totally oblivious to it.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 21:24   Link #951
Kirarakim

So the week Space Brothers is finally done with recaps, Chihayafuru is a recap instead.

I am in despair!
Old 2013-04-26, 22:30   Link #952
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Bah. I put the first season on hiatus after the recap. Hopefully the same won't happen this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I love how this anime makes you want to pair Taichi with Chihaya but she's totally oblivious to it.
More like the anime wants you to pair Shinobu up wtih Arata, but everyone barring me is oblivious to it. <runs away>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 00:40   Link #953
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
More like the anime wants you to pair Shinobu up wtih Arata, but everyone barring me is oblivious to it. <runs away>
I would like to see that happen too. It would be interesting.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 02:07   Link #954
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

The title poem this week is #26. In the U. Virginia translation, it reads as follows:

If the maple leaves
On Ogura mountain
Could only have hearts,
They would longingly await
The emperor's pilgrimage.

"Wait for the Emperor's return," the Crunchyroll translation tells us; "Wait till next week," in other words. But manga readers will recognize also a hint to how the match with Fujisaki will play out.

I'm a little surprised at the general dismissal of the episode. We learn from the selection of scenes for recapitulation just what the show's writers think are the key elements of the previous episodes. Paraphrase is interpretation, after all, and what is more interesting than the writers' own views on what the show is about?

That said, there really isn't any surprise: the recap confirms that the show is about Mizusawa becoming the best team in Japan, and not about romance or even Chihaya's aspirations to become queen. The lack of focus on any one character, Chihaya in particular, tells us that the main character throughout has been team, in which every member at various moments plays a key part in the team's overall success.

The jokes were fun--I liked the lit professor hoping there's be more romance in the second season. Such a pity Nishida shouted down Shinobu--what does everyone already know she would say? And the Fujisaki captain is simply awful--squeezing the Charmin during Sakaurazawa-sensei's speech, I ask you?

I'm waiting for the Emperor to return...

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 02:50   Link #955
hai_san

Damn ep 16 is only recap, i was so anticipated for the finale... Chihaya go!
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 03:30   Link #956
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
Damn ep 16 is only recap, i was so anticipated for the finale... Chihaya go!
They didn't include "Johnny Depp" comment in the previous episodes.
They didn't include the "girlfriend/boyfriend" discussion.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 03:44   Link #957
ginger02

^
That Johnny Depp comment was gold lol

Finally caught up with episodes 13-16 now.

Megumu's story wasn't super interesting to me, but good still. I'm confused what her motivation was last season. Was it to become Queen, which later changed in this season to just play with her team?

I was hoping to see more of Kana and explore her side of things, but I liked her stamina in this arc, and the funny moments she has. The eyelash thing was great. Kinda sad she jammed her finger. Kind of would have been nice if we were able to see that though, even in a flashback.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 04:55   Link #958
Blaat

You know from now on I can't help but notice that Kana only has three eyebrows. Still not enough omakes to make the recap episode worthwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am in despair!
Old 2013-04-27, 08:15   Link #959
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The omakes were hilarious like the ones from last year, but it's still a shame they wasted a precious episode on a recap.

Tsukuba is interested in Chihaya whereas Tsutomu and Nishida are still interested in Kana. Tsutomu's chances are pretty good.
Old 2013-04-27, 09:39   Link #960
LKK

I think Nishida's little sister needs her eyes checked if she thinks Retro-kun looks like Johnny Depp. They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that's going a bit too far IMO.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports