AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-11, 10:41   Link #21
KingMoo-chan
Onmyoji

This show doesn't seem that good at all, but somehow I am drawn to it. Mainly, I must admit, due to the setting and characters, even though these interpretations make the Dynasty Warriors versions of the individuals seem historically accurate. Sun Quan and Cao Cao, to all intents and purposes, seem virtually female.

While most of the budget seems focused on making sure that Lu Xun's hair never stops blowing in the wind, I think this has the potential to be enjoyable if not great. The plot doesn't inspire at the minute, but it could prove more interesting once more characters become involved and the three factions start to move. Sun Ce didn't impress me, but Zhuge Liang did - this version just has something about him, perhaps the eyes, that makes him seem utterly evil while at the same time the type of character you want to suceed. Of the three kingdoms, historically and fictionally, I find Wu the most curious and Shu the least inspiring, and so it is splendid to see the latter potentially displayed as far from the lofty heroes that the Romance decrees they are.

I think I will keep watching this for the era and location design, rather than for the storyline.
Old 2007-04-11, 13:11   Link #22
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo-chan View Post
Of the three kingdoms, historically and fictionally, I find Wu the most curious and Shu the least inspiring, and so it is splendid to see the latter potentially displayed as far from the lofty heroes that the Romance decrees they are.

I think I will keep watching this for the era and location design, rather than for the storyline.

It's also good that Wu is in the spotlight this time - it's usually Shu (as the heroes, like you said) and Wei as the villains. I've also heard people call Wu 'boring', which is far from the truth (See Sun Jian and the Imperial Seal, Sun Ce's 'great adventure' and Chi Bi, which aren't technically Wu but still count)
Old 2007-04-11, 18:56   Link #23
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
It's also good that Wu is in the spotlight this time - it's usually Shu (as the heroes, like you said) and Wei as the villains. I've also heard people call Wu 'boring', which is far from the truth (See Sun Jian and the Imperial Seal, Sun Ce's 'great adventure' and Chi Bi, which aren't technically Wu but still count)
I agree. Basically, isn't Wu the lower Yangtze area around the present Shanghai, Nanjing, Suzhou, Hangzhou, etc.? An exotic and magical area in ancient times. The lush waterlands. How could that be boring?

Turning things around is interesting. The Shu-Han heroes are loyal, I guess, but eminently fallible. Others have some virtue, too. I love the poetry of Cao Cao's son Cao Zhi, for example. And Cao Cao himself could write.

But I won't watch this show for historical accuracy, that's for sure.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-13, 10:47   Link #24
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But I won't watch this show for historical accuracy, that's for sure.
While I would love to see the whole novel animated again, it's also fun seeing how they twist the story we all know so well. Ravages of Time was very good, and I'm one of the few people who do not complain about the character designs in Dynasty Warriors and Kessen.

I couldn't be bothered to keep up with Ikkitousen, and haven't gotten round to watching A Spirit of the Sun because although they claim to be based on ROTK, they probably only take one or two elements from history/novel. At least the officers are keeping their names in this, which gives me some hope
Old 2007-04-15, 04:49   Link #25
runey

Samsara: Koyappi was uke in the Zetsuai 1989 OAV. IMHO, it didn't sound quite right.

As for this show, I'm kinda hoping the subbers use the Chinese names, if only because those are the ones I recognize from Dynasty Warriors.
Old 2007-04-15, 05:31   Link #26
Leedizzle

I find Ikkitousen/Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny more historically accurate then from the glimpse that Koutetsu Sangokushi has given on the first episode, but I really don't watch Ikkitousen for the historical accuracy even though it is quite good.

It seems every anime I watch that resemble Romance of the Three Kingdoms villianizes Wei and it seems this anime will be no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagijen View Post
yeah, read your review of it, Impz, and I agree that it does look promising. Seeing as you mentioned about LuXun and Zhuge Liang in ROTK made me curious and asked my brother about these two (since he is an ROTK fan ^^''' ). He was surprised when I mentioned that those two BL-ish characters is LuXun and Zhuge Liang respectively. (Rather ruprised by how LuXun was the lead in this anime, when he didn't seem to have much role in ROTK... and also surprised by how Zhuge Liang ended up being LuXun's master (and evil)... when he was supposed to be an adviser of Liu Bei in ROTK)
I don't know if your brother answered you off the game Dynasty Warriors but, Lu Xun played the exact same role Zhuge Liang does for Shu as Sima Yi did for Wei. Lu Xun plays a huge role in the downfall of Shu along with Lu Meng when they kill Guan Yu. He may have not been as glorified in the games but in the novel he is probably on the same level as Zhuge Liang/Sima Yi in tactical/military expertise and better then their respective successors.
Old 2007-04-15, 06:31   Link #27
pomps
グ~…

Lu Meng was able to beat Guan Yu for his arrogance and ignorance, Lu Xun defeated Liu Bei for his stupidity, I dont think they are on the same level as Zhuge Liang. In fact Lu Xun was almost killed in Zhuge Liang's rocks' formation, only saved by his father-in-law.
Anyway I hate this anime the moment I saw Sun Quan in his/her dress, and almost puke when Cao Cao appear, it's very disturbing for me. I expected alot of plot twist, but didn't know they would turn such great leaders into gays/gals. It's ok if the anime is a comedy but this anime, no way.
Old 2007-04-15, 06:40   Link #28
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomps View Post
I expected alot of plot twist, but didn't know they would turn such great leaders into gays/gals. It's ok if the anime is a comedy but this anime, no way.

Lol, whether they are hot or not, it's somewhat strange that the leaders are now girls, but it's an issue when you imply that they've been demoted because they're "gay". In ancient China, the rulers and their officers probably did have homosexual relations - as long as they also took wives.

and as a side note, no-one is better than Zhuge Liang in the novel. He is portrayed as some kind of god who can predict everything.
Old 2007-04-15, 06:49   Link #29
andromeda0201

Well the leaders aren't girls, they are pretty boys with female seiyuus....it was really kind of hard watching Sun Quan and the little boy looking so ladylike... I mean, if you hadn't read the character introduction you'd have thought they were actually girls, just like what Fate/Stay night did to King Arthur and Lancelot
Old 2007-04-15, 07:57   Link #30
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I wasn't impressed with the first episode at all; some parts became overly cheesy and pretentious they're not even funny. The animation was meeeh at the most; nothing ground breaking. I liked Rikuson though, surprisingly; I almost always never like naive and idealistic characters like him, but for some reason, I'm interested in seeing his growth. Koumei, on the other hand, squicks me out, seems to me as if the series' creators are trying to make him as mysterious as possible, and somehow it just comes out as fake/forced.

I'll try to watch the next few episodes just to see if the execution would improve; if not, well... thank the gods for Seirei no Moribito.
Old 2007-04-15, 10:35   Link #31
KingMoo-chan
Onmyoji

Episode 2, in my opinion, was less enjoyable than the first. The action scene was horrendously animated, and the plot didn't feel particularly helped by the episode. As Inujun says, too, watching Sun Quan, Cao Cao and the rest in an utterly feminine form just feels odd, especially as it only seems to lead to the blushing undertones that occur throughout episode 2. Many of the characters, such as Sun Ce's generals, seem to have little reason to be in the show other than to fit their historical existances, a placing with seems to contradict the ethos behind the insertion of a fantasy plot into the historical era.

For some reason, though, I'm still going to watch this show. Of late, the settings of anime have become incredibly important to me, and I adore this one, and the period of history that it alludes to.
Old 2007-04-15, 14:23   Link #32
Hydex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomps View Post
Lu Meng was able to beat Guan Yu for his arrogance and ignorance, Lu Xun defeated Liu Bei for his stupidity, I dont think they are on the same level as Zhuge Liang. In fact Lu Xun was almost killed in Zhuge Liang's rocks' formation, only saved by his father-in-law.
Anyway I hate this anime the moment I saw Sun Quan in his/her dress, and almost puke when Cao Cao appear, it's very disturbing for me. I expected alot of plot twist, but didn't know they would turn such great leaders into gays/gals. It's ok if the anime is a comedy but this anime, no way.
Same here. Too bad for this anime, but there's quite a number of good animes this spring, so no big loss.
Old 2007-04-15, 15:21   Link #33
Scribble
Sloth

I just watched the first episode.

I...I don't get it. What was the purpose of putting ROTK characters in the story? What *at all* has it got to do with SGYY/SGZ? I went into this thinking it'd be something a little less accurate than Ravages of Time (which accurate in the sense it was a retelling of the novel), but you could more or less call this Koutetsu Harry Potter, replace the Three Kingdoms characters with Harry Potter, and you wouldn't lose anything.

I wasn't expecting a lot from this series, but wow....looks like I have to still rely on Koei to offer me my modern Romance of the Three Kingdoms fanservice. ;_;
Old 2007-04-15, 17:37   Link #34
ObsidianZ

Exclamation

The yaoi undertones are kinda....creepy.

Anyways, this looks kinda boring, very predictable.
Old 2007-04-19, 04:06   Link #35
SKGundam

I'm just really stupid here, I played the Koei games that were based on Romance of the three kingdoms and seen the first epsiode of a old anime series based off it...........how is this series based off of RoTK? Some of the characters i could tell are based on what you guys say they are but having different names. So in short What exactly is this series' relation to RoTK?
Old 2007-04-19, 08:06   Link #36
Kingofkongs

well as u said ur self this anime is LOOOSELY connected with ROTK same countries same chara... the different name is because they use japanese name for the charas so Lu Xun become Rikuson .... then Wu becomes Go etc
Old 2007-04-19, 22:05   Link #37
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Since there seem to be many RoTK fans here it seems a good place to ask:
Having never seen nor read any RoTK, what are the 'best' RoTK anime series?

Preferably serious ones.
I watched an ep or two of Ikki Tousen but found the fan-service unbearable, and the 'high school' setting just ridiculous.

Thanks for any advice anyone might have..
Old 2007-04-21, 13:26   Link #38
5_of_Spades

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatAttack View Post
Since there seem to be many RoTK fans here it seems a good place to ask:
Having never seen nor read any RoTK, what are the 'best' RoTK anime series?

Preferably serious ones.
I watched an ep or two of Ikki Tousen but found the fan-service unbearable, and the 'high school' setting just ridiculous.

Thanks for any advice anyone might have..

Oh man. I have watched a couple, but all of them fell short of my expectations. RoTK is a very serious novel, and most animes I've seen have generalized/trivialized it. The closest adaptation I've seen is the live action series. I think to truly enjou RoTK, you would have to read it in the original text. Many things are lost in translation.
Old 2007-04-21, 14:13   Link #39
5_of_Spades

And was I the only one who thought 孫権 and 凌統 were the 二乔 when watching the opening?
Old 2007-04-22, 11:45   Link #40
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
is it just me or the main character and the guy with feathers r a lil bit gay?
also is sonken a guy??girl in disguise?mmmm......
Closed Thread