AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-08-06, 01:19   Link #1
sasoras

Shadowverse ccg

Mobile game that recently came out a few months ago. Some people were jumping ship from hearthstone to this.

It's relatively new so not much content, new players get around 140 cards from shop, Here's the general reroll start.

http://steparu.com/latest-news/2068-...100-free-cards

Pros:
-Good art
-less RNG
-More mechanics
-Yuigoh+ hearthstone?
-Lovely animations

Features:

-Story mode=not much to the story atm like 6 CH's per leader.
-Vs A.I mode= from easy to expert
-V.S players=Ranked/Unranked, and Challenge specific players. Although I usually fight people from Jp for some reason.

Main site: https://shadowverse.com/

Start now and get a free neutral legendary card.

Took me about 30 rerolls to get 6 legendaries.

It's coming out on steam to if that helps.

Last edited by sasoras; 2016-08-06 at 17:00.
sasoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 10:41   Link #2
Jaden

I watched a few games of this and it's actually not bad, but basically Hearthstone with anime girls. I don't play on mobile, the art is a bit too lo-def for large monitors, and it's not designed with the mouse in mind. Kinda weak on the PC.

My personal problem is that the other new card games are all good, too. Runescape Chronicles, Elder Scrolls: Legends, Faeria..and soon Gwent of course. There's no way I'll be able to build card collections on all of these at once, so unfortunately I'll have to ignore the games that are not focused on the PC platform. If you have money to throw at card packs, then that's a different story.
Old 2016-08-06, 19:45   Link #3
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I saw a paid promotion for this on the youtube channel of a Hearthstone streamer I follow, and he pretty much spent the entire video crapping on it and talking about how "bewbs" were the only point, but honestly, I'm actually pretty impressed by what little I have played of it so far. Anime style art and a focus on less RNG are a big plus for me.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 23:20   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Shadoweverse is surprisingly fun and balanced. It's also pretty good quality (nice art, voiced cards, good localization and english VA, nice animated art, etc).

It's community seems to be healthy and it apparently gets expansions every 3 months (next is on the 29th). Getting the cards (outside of legendaries) is also relatively easy; you can craft all of them (except animated and special art versions), most of them are easy to craft too, especially silver and bronze ones.

Card Samples

(both roughly 2x smaller, kind of shrunk one more)

Animation Samples [ Warning: BIG ]
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
(Game does its animation dynamically though the engine so its nowhere that big in the actual game.)

-

Some of the mechanics are surely copied from one place or another but I don't recognize them so they seem pretty original as far as I'm concerned. They're fun to play with at least. It's all comboes and synergies everywhere. I really like the evolution mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I saw a paid promotion for this on the youtube channel of a Hearthstone streamer I follow, and he pretty much spent the entire video crapping on it and talking about how "bewbs" were the only point, but honestly, I'm actually pretty impressed by what little I have played of it so far. Anime style art and a focus on less RNG are a big plus for me.
Amusingly enough I don't feel like even touching hearthstone since it's just a copy paste of their other stuff (which I've seen enough of) and WoW which I don't play so won't get the references (nor do I care, that story ended on a satisfying note with Warcraft 3 for me).
Old 2016-12-29, 14:17   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Fun fact, this has been released for PC on steam since late October. Cool fact, it just got a dragon expansion, rise of Bahamut! I have yet to play this, but I suppose now is as good a time as any to get my hands on it. I couldn't install it on my phone due to its ridiculous size (currently 888MB), so the PC version will be a good alternative for me.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 18:15   Link #6
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

You get something like 17 Standard, 26 Darkness Evolve and 15 Rise of Bahamut boosters right now (and probably more due to the current issues with Nephthys and Ranked matches stuck in maintenance).
So it is pretty much the best timing to start the game.

I certainly hope people could stop whining about "anime titties HS" considering the layout and fundamental basis are the only similarities, while the environment and pacing is vastly different compared to HS.
Old 2016-12-29, 19:51   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The game actually has a lot of depth, I just finished the forestcraft story. Obviously, each faction has a distinct advantage in playstyle, but neutral cards and enemy decks can call for some very, veeeery unorthodox deck building; in order to pass an insane 8/8 monster that comes for free if you have 4 cards in play and the ridiculous amulet that turns 1/1 followers into 5/5 dragons, I had to use all kinds of tricks, from snowman transformations and roots to downright execution...in a fairy deck.

There are also many cards to regulate your play points, cards in hand, etc, so even though you can have up to 10pp, there are many ways to play in the late game.

The BGM is very nice, the story is okay, the artwork I've seen so far has been above average...and I got a truckload of boosters, to boot!

First impression: 9/10. One of the few games where OP bullshit is actually counterable.

Quote:
You get something like 17 Standard, 26 Darkness Evolve and 15 Rise of Bahamut boosters right now (and probably more due to the current issues with Nephthys and Ranked matches stuck in maintenance).
So it is pretty much the best timing to start the game.
Indeed, my bro opened up a Bahamut booster and actually got Bahamut o_o
I wasn't so lucky, but still got 7 legendaries in total from all the packs.
Old 2016-12-29, 20:33   Link #8
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

You only have 1.5% chance of having a legendary card for each card in a booster. Considering that percentage, for 7 legendaries, you would actually need something like 58-59 boosters as there are 8 cards per booster. So you are above average (for instance, I got 7 legendaries after opening a little more than 100 boosters of RoB, arguably half of the theorical chances).

And no, Bahamut isn't exactly that great. It might sound like a "I win card", but he shows up really late and can be countered hard. Threatening, but there are definitely much better legendaries out there.
Old 2016-12-30, 06:43   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The game really pushes me to my limits, it took a lot to beat the swordcraft story. The two last stages were particularly difficult: how do you beat a deck that focuses on card drawing, can destroy all 1/1 followers twice, spams magic missile and has 4 instakill cards for strong followers and a ton of 2/2 summons? It was truly the ultimate counter for my basic swordcraft, until I got lucky with storm troopers and a well-placed cyclone blade.

I hope the other stories don't get any harder than this T_T
Old 2016-12-30, 14:03   Link #10
Kurohane

I've read that the last few chapters of each story have a noticeable difficulty curve. I've gotten as far as chapter 5 in a couple of stories, while mostly chapter 4 on others with the default decks. After that, I started modifying the decks with new cards and played ranked matches before trying to tackle to the story again. I hear Forrestcraft's final is particularly difficult with a basically extreme format deck that isn't tied by restrictions.
Old 2016-12-30, 15:25   Link #11
IceHism

Is there any new meta decks from the bahamut pack? Just logged on in a while and I got way less legendaries from bahamut than I got from darkness evolved and are stuff like tempo forest, elana seraph, Garuda, and etc still powerful decks?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-30, 19:28   Link #12
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Is there any new meta decks from the bahamut pack? Just logged on in a while and I got way less legendaries from bahamut than I got from darkness evolved and are stuff like tempo forest, elana seraph, Garuda, and etc still powerful decks?
So far testing my Garuda deck with variations, it's still pretty powerful in my opinion. Although Tempo Rune just became a dominant force right off the bat. Tempo Forest kind of died this expansion since it's too slow surprisingly. Requires a lot of tinkering and yes there's new meta decks in construction atm.
Old 2016-12-30, 19:45   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Tempo forest is likely to have shift way from being as meta as it was before none of the new cards really help it that much. Garuda probably hear to stay with some tweaks and Sword just has new variations while elana seraph might be too slow in this meta Shadow, Blood, Sword, & Dragon all got improvements to their aggro decks.

The new meta cheese is Tempo Rune is in my opinion as an AA rank player without a doubt the current strongest deck, built around the new Rune legendary, Daria, Dimensional Witch, its more consistent than aggro blood with pressure that rivals it & is less likely to run out of steam because of Daria. I've played against it the most of any deck since the expansion hit, and honestly it feels a bit overtuned, and I wouldn't be surprised if it dominates for a few weeks then gets nerfed.

Other new decks include: (that I am not sure how meta they'll ultimately be)
  • White Wolf + Silver Bolt/Rose Queen forest both are built around using new legendary White Wolf of Eldwood to set-up for absurd bust damage (the silver bolt version can ideally deal 18 direct face damage on turn 9 while Rose Queen version can deal 15 on turn 10).
  • Madness PTP haven built around abusing new legendary Eidolon of Madness's synergy with hair of illusions to generate a ton of a shadows + a ward up every turn.
  • Nephthys Shadow decks, I haven't seen this yet due to Nephthys currently being disabled, but words off of using new legendary Nephthys to trigger multiple useful last word effects at once to swing board pressure.
  • Discard Dragon, potentially viable thanks to the new legendary imperial dragoon's powerful effect.
  • Phoenix Bahamut Dragon, basically cheeses with Phoenix Roost to bait your opponent to waste their resources and then you kill all of it with Bahamut.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 09:41   Link #14
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Are all leaders supposed to be equal in power? I'm at 6-8 and so far, I see a large difference between leaders.

Swordcraft is the weakest of the bunch, but also the easiest to learn, along with forestcraft. Runecraft and shadowcraft (prolly havencraft too) are a bit more intricate, but much more powerful. Dragoncraft and especially Bloodcraft are very hard to use, because they emphasize a late game that you might never reach...they depend on luck much more than, say, runecraft or shadowcraft.

Of course, I've only seen a small part of the game's card library, and I get that there are hard counters for many things, yet I can't help but feel that some factions are inferior to the rest (Erika's 8th fight remains my hardest one to date, followed by Rowen's and Arisa's).
Old 2017-01-06, 10:35   Link #15
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It all depends of your deck is, but Erika is arguably not inferior to the rest by a very long shot. If anything, Swordcraft remained popular until RoB and can still put up a fight in RoB meta. I ranked Master recently with it too.
Old 2017-01-06, 13:50   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@Kafriel

Generally Forestcraft, Swordcraft & Heavencraft are considered "better," while Dragoncraft, Shadowcraft & Bloodcraft are considered weaker, and Runecraft is considered to be just simply an annoyance that keeps the meta in check (the earth sigil variants are considered annoying too because they drag on). Of course stronger or weaker is just an overall assessment, you can win with any one of them, there's no "trash" one, and depending on what you pick you will have some good matchups and some terrible matchups. But, you may find the top 3 to have "not-so-bad" bad matchups, while the bottom 3 have "why-do-I-even-bother" bad matchups (some of this is due more so to decks that are viable for the classes though).

Haven't had time to play with the expansion so that's what it's been so far. As for why that is, mainly because of things like the mechanics of said top 3 being easier and more straight forward (easier to execute killer combos and such, just more combos in general, annoying mechanics, etc). Blood & Shadow both require either tacking life damage or losing creatures so a lot of combos you execute can very well put you closer to losing just as much as it does your opponent, and dragon has the issue of one of it's variants being considered just plain "the worst" (ie. discard dragon) and unplayable, and the other variants suffering from maybe not the best early game because the main focus of dragon is throwing big stuff out. That's said ramp dragon is quite fun and once it does go into late game it's quite brutal—but you need quite a few key cards.

The difficulty of building decks is not necessarily proportionate to the strength assessment though. It's easy to make blood decks, and they're also pretty dirt cheap. While on the other hand forest decks require a lot of expensive cards no matter what and are hard to make because their resource mechanic is not the easiest to reason. Of course most people seem to just blindly copy/paste from the net so the difficulty is mostly in just getting the cards—and with the new pre-built decks that's not such a big issue anymore (so long as you're desperate that's the cheapest and most straight forward way).
Old 2017-01-06, 17:28   Link #17
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It all depends of your deck is, but Erika is arguably not inferior to the rest by a very long shot. If anything, Swordcraft remained popular until RoB and can still put up a fight in RoB meta. I ranked Master recently with it too.
Well done, my Erika deck is so average that I can only use cheese tactics by spamming followers - it is definitely the most basic and cheapest way to win. That being said, I have very few cards that could turn a horrible situation around in my deck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
@Kafriel

Generally Forestcraft, Swordcraft & Heavencraft are considered "better," while Dragoncraft, Shadowcraft & Bloodcraft are considered weaker, and Runecraft is considered to be just simply an annoyance that keeps the meta in check (the earth sigil variants are considered annoying too because they drag on). Of course stronger or weaker is just an overall assessment, you can win with any one of them, there's no "trash" one, and depending on what you pick you will have some good matchups and some terrible matchups. But, you may find the top 3 to have "not-so-bad" bad matchups, while the bottom 3 have "why-do-I-even-bother" bad matchups (some of this is due more so to decks that are viable for the classes though).

Haven't had time to play with the expansion so that's what it's been so far. As for why that is, mainly because of things like the mechanics of said top 3 being easier and more straight forward (easier to execute killer combos and such, just more combos in general, annoying mechanics, etc). Blood & Shadow both require either tacking life damage or losing creatures so a lot of combos you execute can very well put you closer to losing just as much as it does your opponent, and dragon has the issue of one of its variants being considered just plain "the worst" (ie. discard dragon) and unplayable, and the other variants suffering from maybe not the best early game because the main focus of dragon is throwing big stuff out. That's said ramp dragon is quite fun and once it does go into late game it's quite brutal—but you need quite a few key cards.

The difficulty of building decks is not necessarily proportionate to the strength assessment though. It's easy to make blood decks, and they're also pretty dirt cheap. While on the other hand forest decks require a lot of expensive cards no matter what and are hard to make because their resource mechanic is not the easiest to reason. Of course most people seem to just blindly copy/paste from the net so the difficulty is mostly in just getting the cards—and with the new pre-built decks that's not such a big issue anymore (so long as you're desperate that's the cheapest and most straight forward way).
First of all, thanks for the information, I don't frequent other forums, so I wouldn't know. I have now cleared the story with all 7 leaders and defeated the A.I. on elite with all of them, so here's my personal assessment.

Spoiler for tl;dr: my assessment of each leader:

Having covered all that, what is everyone's opinion on neutral cards? They stand out from most leaders' gimmicks, with some of them only affecting other neutral cards. Still, they are annoyingly strong (Urias with Lucifer is a nightmare...also, what the hell is an apocalyptic deck!?) and can definitely turn a game around - but how many should you use?
Old 2017-01-06, 23:11   Link #18
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Having covered all that, what is everyone's opinion on neutral cards? They stand out from most leaders' gimmicks, with some of them only affecting other neutral cards. Still, they are annoyingly strong (Urias with Lucifer is a nightmare...also, what the hell is an apocalyptic deck!?) and can definitely turn a game around - but how many should you use?
In general class specific cards are best; this excludes neutral legendaries of course. Neutral legendaries are among the best and most flexibile cards (Path to Purgatory, Odin, Lucifer, Gabriel, Olivia, Santa, etc).

Path to Purgatory (PtP) for example can be played by a lot of classes; albeit usually is considered a forestcraft card due to them having so many fairy cards. Odin is among the only banish cards in the game (so among the only that can hard counter Seraph decks). And Gabriel is not a "bad card" regardless of which deck you play her in. Some other cards like Lucifer can be more specific, in the case of Lucifer it's more or less a required card for a dragon ramp deck or any other deck that "sacrifices early game".

Other then this, neutral wards are among the best (Minataur, Bellringer, Shield Angel, Lizardman, Angelic Sword Maiden, Goblinmount). Though that doesn't mean that it's necesarily a good idea to stick them into just about any deck blindly.

Neutral cards with effect are generally equally very very good. Unica is a shameless ward (in a sword deck its even possible for her to gain ambush), Altered Fate is generally very powerful (in particular in any deck with heavy card generation or draw, such as forest decks), Glass & Flame is very powerful if you can actually get it to work, the new Goblin Mage is a pretty decent card, so is Gourmet Emperor, Angelic Barage is something everyone that hates forest runs, Urd is one of the most flexible cards in the game (you literally cancel all the buffs on something, OR, you can make any minion with storm deal double damage *cough* Forte *cough*), Wind God is a great buff card, Humpy is pretty decent removal card, Execution one of the few cards that can actually remove annoying non-countdown amulets (it messes with all those banners, heal haven nonsense, protected buff cards, screws with blood's Dire Bond, etc; though people generally run Dance of Death instead).

Other notable cards are the low cost cards. Goblin is basically 1cost 1/2 so excelent for any deck that wants "good" 1cost cards but doesn't have a good class equivalent. The 2cost 2/2 Fighter is also not terrible, though mostly as a filler if your curve isn't quite right or you want to avoid the effects of your class 2/2.

Honestly the only "meh" cards are Mercenary Drifter (3cost 3/2; in case it isn't obvious cost 3 body of 2 is the problem), Goliath (4cost 3/4), Desert Rider (4cost 4/3), Ragin Ettin (6cost 4/5 ward), Imperial Mamuth (7cost 6/7) and Archangel Reina (the 8cost evolve all followers when it evolves). For no other reason then because every class just has better cards to play on those turns, so it's a complete waste unless it's just filler. Especially on turn 4, for example as a swordcraft deck why would you ever want to play Goliath or Desert Rider over Floral Fencer? All classes have a 4cost "unfair value" card unlocked from story mission. Similarly from turn 5 onward you start to get into cards with very good effects or legendaries. So you could have Ragin Ettin (6cost 4/5 ward) in your deck or you could have Aurelia (5cost 2/6 ward with spell immunity sometimes and +1/+0 damage for each enemy follower) or Sage Commander (4/6 with +1/+1 to all followers? this is practically better by a tiny bit even with out the ability). Let's not even mention other 6 cost cards such as Otohime and Tsubaki. I build all classes and can tell you the story is pretty much the same across the board—cost 4+ cards with no effects are practically redundant outside of specific cases but even then you want the class version over the neutral version (eg. Frenzied Juggernaut).

-

With regard to apocalyptic deck, when you play Santa (Prince of Darkness previously called Satan) your deck gets changed into an apocalypse deck. The cards are very brutally unfair but you can still lose.

Last edited by felix; 2017-01-06 at 23:21.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 02:49   Link #19
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
@Kafriel

Generally Forestcraft, Swordcraft & Heavencraft are considered "better," while Dragoncraft, Shadowcraft & Bloodcraft are considered weaker, and Runecraft is considered to be just simply an annoyance that keeps the meta in check.
Sword has kept it's place in the expansion, but now Blood, & Rune have claimed Haven & Forest's previous spots, they're easily the most played & powerful deck types atm Aggro Blood got quite a few strong additions with little to no need for vengeance & tempo rune is just absurd, while dragon has runes old spot now, and shadow is better off than it was. Forest is currently the least played class in ranked by a large margin atm.

Quote:
With regard to apocalyptic deck, when you play Santa (Prince of Darkness previously called Satan) your deck gets changed into an apocalypse deck. The cards are very brutally unfair but you can still lose.
The apocalyptic deck has 4 different cards in it Servant of Darkness (5pp 13/13), Silent Rider (6pp 8/8 storm), Dis's Damnation (7pp Deal 7 damage to an enemy (can target enemy leader). Heal 7 health to your leader.), and Astaroth's Reckoning (10pp drop the enemy leader's defense to 1.) Strong cards though not unbeatable.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 04:14   Link #20
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotohono View Post
Sword has kept it's place in the expansion, but now Blood, & Rune have claimed Haven & Forest's previous spots, they're easily the most played & powerful deck types atm Aggro Blood got quite a few strong additions with little to no need for vengeance & tempo rune is just absurd, while dragon has runes old spot now, and shadow is better off than it was. Forest is currently the least played class in ranked by a large margin atm.
You say this, but I saw a streamer earlier stomp runes (7+) over and over in a row with a very aggressive aggro forest deck (master players). For the time being the meta seems to be still in flux; which is probably fine for me since haven't had time to dive back in, yet.