AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-10-09, 17:32   Link #1141
Westlo
Lets be reality

In regards to sales neither Medaka or Akaboshi made the Oricon top 30 this week, but Medaka Box is getting a reprint of Volume 1 on October 19th and Akaboshi on the 22nd. Going by the Oricon top 30 they both sold under 28,696 copies, but with both getting reprints it seems they didn't expect many sales in the first place.

To compare.. Kuroko no Basket which has 8 color pages this year in WSJ did 20,445 in it's first week, PSYREN vol 2 did 15,546. A "hit manga" figure would be the following..

154,675 (Bakuman) 1
69,177 (Toriko) 1
51,163 (Beelzebub) 1
48,495 (Nurarihyon no Mago) 1

Those 4 are pretty much the next big things out of WSJ, Mago has a stellar VA cast for it's Drama cd, Toriko is getting a jump special anime, Beelzebub is the WSJ hit of 2009 and Bakuman is another hit for the Death Note duo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
And you people keep coming in criticizing them for criticizing. That's even funnier...
lol @ pointing something out as being criticism. My line applies to myself as well as KLGChaos and others.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:09   Link #1142
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
People keep saying they're done with this manga yet keep coming back lol...

Aside from not being Medaka what exactly has Zenkichi done to deserve to be the lead character? I means seriously you have people continually whining about Zenkichi being underutilized/shafted but he's nothing special, he's done' nothing of note and he doesn't stand out from his archetype. People are acting like Medaka is holding back a goldmine when she's not.
Well, that's just it. Many of us were led to believe that he'd be the main character, like he was in the One Shot and in the first several chapters of the serialization. But once Akune, showed up, he was pretty much tossed to the side. This doesn't just apply to Zen alone, but Akune and Kikaijima suffered the same fate. They came in, got a couple chapters and were pretty much thrown away after that, being brought out for air occasionally. The only significant thing they've done is stop Medaka from killing Unzen (which I think everyone saw coming from a mile away).

It's just my opinion, but Medaka doesn't work as a main heroine for me. A God Mode Sue in a shounen manga, without a strong male lead to back her up, isn't something that really works. Even other mangas that have really strong female leads in them (such as Sekirei, Kurohime, Change 123, GS Mikami, Zero In, etc) always make sure they have a male lead that, while maybe not equal to the women in power, are always equal in terms of importance to the story. In Medaka Box, there is no one like that. Medaka pretty much eats up the whole manga herself and I think many people are growing bored of her. Heck, Kosukegawa from Change 123, despite being one of the weakest characters physically out of all the mangas I've read, did more in the first chapter of Change 123 than Zen has done all manga.

I realize that Zen hasn't done anything to earn the lead spot. It's been mentioned many times that he just feels like Medaka's lap dog, which is the issue many of us have. The only real reason I keep coming back is because I hate dropping something that I started. It's very rare that I do that. I either have to be highly offended by the work or it has to give me quite a bit of crap before I stop. An example of that is Bleach. After putting up with Soul Society Arc part 2 (except now with more battles!) for a year, I ended up dropping it three months ago and haven't looked back.

As for the RAWs...

Spoiler:
Old 2009-10-09, 18:23   Link #1143
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post

Spoiler:
Silly KLGChaos isn't it obvious...? FUSION!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:25   Link #1144
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Silly KLGChaos isn't it obvious...? FUSION!
Ok, now I'm freaked out

I swear I was gonna type "There could be a fusion between Zen and Medaka".
Old 2009-10-09, 18:27   Link #1145
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I think Darknemo said it best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
. It is obvious that author is not following his own story...
It feels like he's just putting stuff together as he goes along, not trying to make a cohesive plot, but rather whatever he comes up with while he's taking a shit on the toilet >.>
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:33   Link #1146
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Ok, now I'm freaked out

I swear I was gonna type "There could be a fusion between Zen and Medaka".
Zendaka? Medakichi?

I think if a fusion did happen, Medaka would be the dominant one in the relationship...
Old 2009-10-09, 18:41   Link #1147
Ermes Marana

The sad thing is I actually hate Medaka less than most of the other characters. The stuff about her effect on normal people might have had potential, except for one problem...

What normal people? Money-worshippers, super-lapdogs, punishment-freaks, every character in the manga comes across as a ridiculous headcase parody. There are no believable characters to be found, just nonsense characters. Medaka somehow makes more sense than most of them.

Speaking of parody, I'm pretty sure this manga has devolved into a parody of battle manga now. The author was angry nobody liked it so he decided to go on the attack.

Medaka performing superhuman feats "because she decided to try hard" is a pretty obvious jab at battle manga.

Unzen... well, even creating a character that terrible should be considered an attack on the readers.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 19:19   Link #1148
Cinocard

Quote:
Medaka getting beat down out of nowhere was kind of weird. I highly doubt she was actually defeated, but was hit with a surprise attack by the 2 ton iron ball and will get up without a scratch next time.
Pff. 2 ton ball is impossible. It must be 20 ton.

Quote:
What normal people? Money-worshippers, super-lapdogs, punishment-freaks, every character in the manga comes across as a ridiculous headcase parody. There are no believable characters to be found, just nonsense characters. Medaka somehow makes more sense than most of them.
Quote:
The members of the 13 that were introduced... how can people in the school even accept these guys as normal? Especially the dude covered in bandages... he LOOKS like a freak. If the students really aren't bothered by this, then the students in the school are truly and utterly idiotic.
I guess you guys two comment fit well together

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-10-09 at 20:01.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 21:08   Link #1149
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:
Zendaka? Medakichi?
Obviously a fusion between the two will create little Medaka or little Zen.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 23:15   Link #1150
Dark Mage

Quote:

It's just my opinion, but Medaka doesn't work as a main heroine for me. A God Mode Sue in a shounen manga, without a strong male lead to back her up, isn't something that really works. Even other mangas that have really strong female leads in them (such as Sekirei, Kurohime, Change 123, GS Mikami, Zero In, etc) always make sure they have a male lead that, while maybe not equal to the women in power, are always equal in terms of importance to the story. In Medaka Box, there is no one like that. Medaka pretty much eats up the whole manga herself and I think many people are growing bored of her. Heck, Kosukegawa from Change 123, despite being one of the weakest characters physically out of all the mangas I've read, did more in the first chapter of Change 123 than Zen has done all manga.

[/spoiler]
Nicely put KLGChaos and that's exactly what has put me off this manga.And I HAVE finally dropped it and just follow the conversations here as each chapter comes out. Hopefully if it gets better, I will start rereading it again.
Old 2009-10-09, 23:21   Link #1151
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Nicely put KLGChaos and that's exactly what has put me off this manga.And I HAVE finally dropped it and just follow the conversations here as each chapter comes out. Hopefully if it gets better, I will start rereading it again.
That's exactly what I'm doing... until a manga gets to a point where it's readable for me personally, I just follow the conversations here on it

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 01:06   Link #1152
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
That's exactly what I'm doing... until a manga gets to a point where it's readable for me personally, I just follow the conversations here on it
I find it more interesting reading people's comment on the forums then reading the actual manga(i stopped at chap 13)
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 02:03   Link #1153
Jourdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
I read the raws but don't follow the TLs these days
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 02:04   Link #1154
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Zendaka? Medakichi?

I think if a fusion did happen, Medaka would be the dominant one in the relationship...
Nope the name of fusion being would be Medaka. She would look like Medaka and act like Medaka too. The only difference would be that she would have a shabby looking doggy tail, wagging from her behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
I read the raws but don't follow the TLs these days
To tell the truth I did not read raws of the last chapter either. Just saw that one page posted in here with Medaka lying on the ground.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 03:13   Link #1155
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Spoiler for c22:
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 03:38   Link #1156
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Looks like Medaka is getting back up again, since this weeks (or last) bottom 5 are:

Ane Dokî
Kuroko no Basket
Akaboshi
Kagijin
Jaguar
Old 2009-10-10, 05:07   Link #1157
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Umm you have to take away Jaguar because it isn't ranked the way others are so the actual bottom five is:

Bakuman
Ane Doki
Kuroko no Basket
Akaboshi
Kagijin

Still battle-shit seems to work for Japanese (I am bit surprised how easy Japanese masses are if Yuri kiss and random battle's are enough to make the manga good for them, but again we are talkig about shounen magazine with specific readers). Medaka is right above Bakuman, but still it's not in the bottom 5.

I heard that tree cuts may be done (not confirmed) so unless either Medaka or Akaboshi suddenly starts doing much better one of them is quite likely to get axed. Maybe even both.

Though if they'll choose between the two it will be most likely for Medaka's good, as at very least Nisio has a name, and it can sell well enough even if the content is a crap.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 05:28   Link #1158
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

I'v seen this comment:

>Kagijin and Akaboshi are cut in issue 47, last chapters
>One Shot "22" by Yabuki Kentaro (Black Cat, To Love)in issue 47
>New series "NEON" by Kano Yasuhiro (Mx0, Pretty Face) in issue 48
>New series "Memory" by Komi Naoshi (Double Arts) in issue 49

hoping it's true, can't miss one by Yabuki Kentaro and Kano Yasuhiro
Old 2009-10-10, 05:40   Link #1159
DesuX2

I blame Bakuman for all this rating nonsense that's been going around desu.
DesuX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 05:42   Link #1160
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Spoiler for c22:
?? which girl? the one with steel ball?
btw it's funny to see Meaka box in crazymanga.be didn't have "Read online" option like other newly uploaded manga file in the siteit looks like almost everyone agree that this manga suck to hell
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council