AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-30, 17:59   Link #4061
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Interestingly, this is exactly what the manga adaptation is doing... one volume is the path to one girl. next volume retells the timeline to the next girl, and so on. It is cute... but I still think the anime adaptation is one of the best examples of interweaving I've seen (as an alternative to adaptations like Lamune (one path all the way) or Canvas 2 (triangle to the end).
I thought it was ingenious to split the protagonist from the game into two characters myself.
Old 2010-05-30, 20:28   Link #4062
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Obviously the majority of audience disagreed with that. Or rather with the changes in general.

And I am one of those.

Kimikiss was never about drama or forced love triangles but it was about simple and sweet love. Kimikiss anime failed to deliver the main thing that made Kimikiss so popular as a game and that was why it was screwed up so hard in terms of sales.

Its like turning Romeo and Juliet into a good kick-boxing movie - the people who did not know the original would say - hey its pretty good fighting movie, but those who know the original would be disappointed because that is still far away from what made the original so good.

Vexx, you have to remember that manga did make a mistake of making just one volume for each heroine thats why the story didn't felt so good. Two volumes per heroine would have made the manga much better looking.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 21:42   Link #4063
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Obviously the majority of audience disagreed with that. Or rather with the changes in general.

And I am one of those.

Kimikiss was never about drama or forced love triangles but it was about simple and sweet love. Kimikiss anime failed to deliver the main thing that made Kimikiss so popular as a game and that was why it was screwed up so hard in terms of sales.

Its like turning Romeo and Juliet into a good kick-boxing movie - the people who did not know the original would say - hey its pretty good fighting movie, but those who know the original would be disappointed because that is still far away from what made the original so good.
They may have thought it wouldn't been popular with non-fans if they left it the same way. Simple is good, but sometimes you want a good, complex series that makes you think and appreciate it. I'm not saying this was a real mind turner, but it wasn't simple 1-2-3, there were plenty of nuances and such.

And I found the love to be simple and sweet. It was just getting there was arduous at times.

Quote:
Vexx, you have to remember that manga did make a mistake of making just one volume for each heroine thats why the story didn't felt so good. Two volumes per heroine would have made the manga much better looking.
Yeah, but I think the reader would get too attached after one volume.
Old 2010-05-31, 03:35   Link #4064
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Yeah, but I think the reader would get too attached after one volume.
Exactly. Why i believe one volume was enough, even if the pacing did feel a little rushed at times.

I'm all for the change the team went with the Kimikiss anime. It was nice and refreshing, and i ended up enjoying it so much more then i originally planned. Heck, it even ended up being one of my favorite shows of that year. Sure it didn't sell well and let a load of people down, though at the end of the day i seriously enjoyed the little gem of the series, and that's what matters.
Old 2010-07-07, 15:54   Link #4065
kamehameha

just posting here to say i loved it! Wish the couples could have gotten an episode to themselves
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 13:00   Link #4066
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Well this is the best news ever. Section23 have licensed the show, and will release the first set out of two on October 5th.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...kimikiss-anime

Instant buy.
Old 2010-07-22, 13:18   Link #4067
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I certainly am tempted...but those subtitles often piss me off. What are they going to call Mao?
Old 2010-07-22, 13:25   Link #4068
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

^ they better not mess with mao-neechan's name or heaven and hell will smite thee to those translator.
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 13:41   Link #4069
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I certainly am tempted...but those subtitles often piss me off. What are they going to call Mao?
Why would they change her name?
Old 2010-07-22, 13:42   Link #4070
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Why would they change her name?
Because they don't use honorifics and such.
Old 2010-07-22, 13:44   Link #4071
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Because they don't use honorifics and such.
Oh i thought you meant as in change her name.

Yeah i see what you mean. I guess they'll go with 'big sister'? Or Section23 might be different and actually use honorifics. Not sure.
Old 2010-07-22, 19:46   Link #4072
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I stick up for the adaptation of this series so often as something unique, I guess I'm morally obligated to buy it.
Old 2010-07-23, 09:04   Link #4073
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Oh i thought you meant as in change her name.

Yeah i see what you mean. I guess they'll go with 'big sister'? Or Section23 might be different and actually use honorifics. Not sure.
Yeah. They will probably drop the whole sister thing and just call her "Mao." But there are other things here and there that are often changed and annoy me. Seriously, keep the honorifics in the subtitles and include translation notes. Is that too much to ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I stick up for the adaptation of this series so often as something unique, I guess I'm morally obligated to buy it.
I hope we get nice extras like in the Toradora set.

Do we know how they are breaking down the series and all?
Old 2010-07-23, 14:07   Link #4074
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Do we know how they are breaking down the series and all?
Yeah looks like it'll be two sets. Running time for the first volume is 325 minutes with it pricing at $49.98.
Old 2010-10-06, 07:18   Link #4075
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

ANN has a review for the first DVD release. Honestly, I wish they would review the DVD itself (menus, extras, packaging, and subtitle quality especially) and not the series, especially since ANN bashes everything they can (which is why I hate linking there). Anyone else come across a true review?
Old 2010-10-07, 09:11   Link #4076
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Once again, you give me examples of why I minimize my visits to ANN and spend energy suggesting other people not even visit it. :P I absolutely hate even giving them a page view hit any more.
Old 2010-10-07, 09:35   Link #4077
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I was linked there for some reason and saw it. I had a little hope that they'd address the DVD itself...but alas I was disappointed yet again. I avoid their booth and panels at conventions so I don't make a scene, haha.
Old 2012-04-01, 09:32   Link #4078
Anime-fan10

Realization of Animes ending

I just finished KimiKiss Pure Rouge last night and I thought it was pretty good. I watched it for a period of two months so I took my time and enjoyed it. For the first several episodes, I just wasn't into it and I was considering dropping it. However, I decided to watch a few more episodes and see if it could keep my interest. As time went on, I started to like it more and more so I paced myself and only watched 2-3 episodes a week. Last night, as I was in bed, I couldn't help but think about the impact it had on me. I'm a big fan of romance anime, but KimiKiss emotionally drained me down to a certain point. I kept thinking about it last night and how it compared to other romance anime I've seen and so, I came to the realization that I enjoy a romance anime more when it has other elements in it just as strong as the romance element. For example, the first romance anime I ever watched was Love Hina and even though it drained me emotionally as well, the comedic element was just as powerful so it gave me a break at times from all the psychological romantic development that was taking place. I even remember watching High School of the Dead and it having just as much action as it did romance which I really enjoyed. However, KimiKiss was all psychological romantic development from start to finish so I think that's why I'm feeling the way I am. Overall, I thought it was a great anime and I'd recommend others see it as well if they like that genre of anime, but I can't see myself watching it again in the future. I just wanted to share that w/ all my fellow anime lovers here . Thanks for reading.

Edit: All those views and not a single comment; guess I'm the only one here that feels that way, haha.

Last edited by Anime-fan10; 2012-04-01 at 19:47.
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 02:36   Link #4079
relentlessflame

*Administrator

It's been a while since I've seen this show, but I would sort of agree that this show is rather "emotionally intense" since there is a fair bit of drama that gets extended through the whole show and causes a lot of tension. I do enjoy these sorts of shows, but I do agree that they can be a bit draining. I suppose this is why they only show up every once in a while, and it's much more common to have shows that are either more light-hearted/comedic, or mix in other elements to spread the focus. It's perhaps particularly noteworthy that with Amagami (the next game in the series) they chose a much less "tense" approach by giving each character her own set of episodes to tell her own romance story. While this approach also has some downsides (namely the lack of a cohesive linear narrative and consistent characterization), it seems to have been a bit more popular on the domestic front and perhaps reflects the game's style a bit more closely.

Given that it's been so long, I am a bit curious about re-watching the show. I think that, as is often the case in this genre, knowing where things are headed gives you a different perspective on earlier events, and insight into some more subtle clues/hints you might have missed the first time around. In a way it can also be a bit less intense the second time, but I still find myself getting caught up in it again even when re-watching.
Old 2012-04-02, 09:37   Link #4080
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I re-watched this not too long ago and enjoyed it. Definitely a good series to re-watch.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, enterbrain, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, shounen