Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-06-20, 13:31   Link #141
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa
Even if you already played a game to death it can still be fun to play it again.
Then why did those people sell their copy of the game? *sigh*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
Let me get this straight. You make it sound like games is all about beating them, and pretty much nothing more. Doesn't the experience matter nowadays?
You completely misunderstand me. The gameplay may have been tweaked, but it's still the same game that I played years ago with the same story, dungeons and core gameplay. I can't put it more clearly than that.
Quote:
You probably didn't read everything Nintendo from E3 because they weren't talking about simply carbon copying a game from one console to the next, this is about, in 3Ds, existing games can be changed the way it's played, granting them the ability to change gameplay and by doing so they can add things and what not.
That sounds a bit more interesting, but as I'm not a big fan of Ocarina of Time, it's not a game I would buy again for a couple extras.
Quote:
I'm not even going to talk about the people who think Chrono Trigger DS is a waste of money when it had a new style of play and a new ending.
The new style of play still did the exact same thing as the regular controls, and in my opinion it is not as good as the old style when it comes to the battle interface.

It depends on the person whether they think a new ending is worth it, but paying full price for a port of a 15 year old game that you already own is really pushing it.
Quote:
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or just plain spoilsport, but... PS3 also has MP4 playback, it *gasp* plays Blu-ray movies, XBOX 360 also has video playback and as with the Wii and PS3, *cough*Netflix*cough*
I say PSP effect because that's what is pushing portable consoles to have these features. Before the PSP there was nothing of the sort, even though home consoles were already in on it.
Quote:
Want someone to blame? It's the average consumer.
The consumer isn't to blame. It's Sony with their project to make a digital entertainment system for the living room instead of a game console. They started that with the PS2's DVD player feature. Microsoft, who wasn't interested in game consoles but was looking to enter the digital entertainment system market, saw this and made the Xbox. It's not a coincidence that they chose to enter the market at that time.
Old 2010-06-21, 03:14   Link #142
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
You completely misunderstand me. The gameplay may have been tweaked, but it's still the same game that I played years ago with the same story, dungeons and core gameplay. I can't put it more clearly than that.

...That sounds a bit more interesting, but as I'm not a big fan of Ocarina of Time, it's not a game I would buy again for a couple extras.
Sorry if I came off rude in my other post, was a bad day for me. I'll try to be more civil this time. I can understand when some people don't have the dough the shell out for another product they already own, but.... seriously, does that mean people still use their cell phones from 12 years ago? I'll give an example for my DS games, most, if not all of my launch titles/year one titles are having difficulties being read in all 3 of my DS's(yes I cleaned them, and yes, I store them properly in a container specifically for storing these), and I sure as hell want to play them from time to time especially when some of them aren't beaten yet (I still haven't cleared the first contest in Nintendogs).

I'd like to play them again, but seeing as how it's difficult most of the time, I sure as hell would buy another version some day if that ever happens (which is why I'm a guaranteed Nintendogs + Cats buyer).

Quote:
I say PSP effect because that's what is pushing portable consoles to have these features. Before the PSP there was nothing of the sort, even though home consoles were already in on it.
Spoiler for silly Sony stuff:

Quote:
The consumer isn't to blame. It's Sony with their project to make a digital entertainment system for the living room instead of a game console. They started that with the PS2's DVD player feature. Microsoft, who wasn't interested in game consoles but was looking to enter the digital entertainment system market, saw this and made the Xbox. It's not a coincidence that they chose to enter the market at that time.
Spoiler for long donkey-butt off-topic reply:

This is why I like to bring up cell phones. They too are a contender for this "mobile gaming" scene, which is the reason why a company like Gameloft is born, and continues to strive. When presenting a mobile game console to a consumer, they're going to want to know if putting that in their pocket with a cell phone, wallet, media player, and whatever it is that goes in pockets, is good value for their money (when you factor in the consumer mentality of the difficulties of carrying a lot of devices, when in today's market there exists a product that can combine multiple uses into one device), thereby saving pocket space which in turn gives said consumer a feel-good feeling of satisfaction. I know a large number of gamers who don't like the DS simply because it can't do any more than game; as I observed these gamers, it turned out they are very much the same average consumer that I bring up time and time again, and in a world where cell phones can play games, video and music, saving space in a pocket of 3 different devices, and where saving money seems to be trend considering the times.

Which, I wonder if I was clear enough in that mess of a post, because this is the 3DS thread, where we talk things 3DS, and not Sony, Microsoft or PCs, MACs, etc.

And the way I see it, there's a market for bringing over N64 games to the 3DS. Not everyone sold ___ game which is the reason why they haven't played it again, I've had circumstances where things were lost, or some idiot bastard took ___ from me, rendering me unable to enjoy said product again when I feel like it. So I'm up for some F Zero even though I bought the GBA one, which had its lame faults, and even F Zero X had it's ridiculous faults as well, and by releasing this on the 3DS, they could make it better by fixing the faults I encountered during those games, which to me would be more than enough to shell out some money to re-purchase something I already bought. So if you're asking why someone would buy something again that they already bought before;

Not every game is perfect. And I can't even count the number of gamers who would buy the PS3 ToV after they shelled out precious money on a badly developed Xbox360 ToV. Why would they do that? They felt cheated out of their horrible gaming experience.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 03:26   Link #143
Gordy Lechance

There's also the "going back to settle unfinished business" factor.

Never got to clock Orcarina of Time when it was on the N64; would like to see if I fare better on a brand spanking new machine.

And yes, I would love to see how cute the new system can make Malin the Angel-Voiced farmgirl and Ruto the fish princess.
Old 2010-06-21, 03:54   Link #144
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
There's also the "going back to settle unfinished business" factor.

Never got to clock Orcarina of Time when it was on the N64; would like to see if I fare better on a brand spanking new machine.
Yeah, even I have unfinished business with OoT. I mentioned the Water Temple earlier, remember? I took the easy, non-full route through that. I still regret that decision to this day, and seeing as how buying the game again these days makes me SOL, I'd welcome a 3DS version anytime. Oh, and I never did collect all the Heart Pieces

And, I should correct myself earlier when I used Chrono Trigger as an example, probably a better example would be New Super Mario Bro's DS. Old concept made new? The 3DS potentials aren't relegated to just the N64
Old 2010-06-21, 04:43   Link #145
Sides

It has been confirmed that DMP will be supplying the GPU for the 3DS. Read more on andriasang.com
Obviously nintendo will use a custom build version of it, these chips are always customised for devices, so the figures listed on DMP's page will only give us a rough idea what the 3ds is capable off.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 05:23   Link #146
mangatron

Hmm, seems like low power draw is a key feature there. I guess we shouldn't worry about the battery life being less than half the DSi.

I wonder if the OpenGL support would make porting PC games easier... naw, that's looking too far ahead
Old 2010-06-21, 11:45   Link #147
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Here the GPU « DMP PICA200 » demo technology :

Be warned it's not a demo on 3DS so the quality might not be the same .
Now wait 3DS version .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 12:06   Link #148
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
The Dreamcast died mostly because it was stuck in the past (CD storage and single use value).
Spoiler for Dreamcast defense:

Quote:
When presenting a mobile game console to a consumer, they're going to want to know if putting that in their pocket with a cell phone, wallet, media player, and whatever it is that goes in pockets, is good value for their money (when you factor in the consumer mentality of the difficulties of carrying a lot of devices, when in today's market there exists a product that can combine multiple uses into one device), thereby saving pocket space which in turn gives said consumer a feel-good feeling of satisfaction.
Too bad that they forget about the quality of the individual features. Jacks of all trades, master of none. The quality of today's gadgets is at an all-time low because people keep buying crap.
Quote:
And the way I see it, there's a market for bringing over N64 games to the 3DS. Not everyone sold ___ game which is the reason why they haven't played it again, I've had circumstances where things were lost, or some idiot bastard took ___ from me, rendering me unable to enjoy said product again when I feel like it.
It's not as clear-cut. Remember that TLoZ: Ocarina of Time already got a port to the GameCube. Other N64 games have gotten sequels that are better. Then there's always the Virtual Console where you can already buy them again. I'd guess the main draw for porting them the 3DS would be its portability.
Old 2010-06-21, 15:44   Link #149
Xacual

TLoZ: OoT didn't really get a sold port. It was packaged with preordering Wind Waker, admittedly I do have that which means after the 3DS comes out that I will have all 3 versions of the game.

Did they mention whether or not Master Quest will be on the 3DS too or will it just be a remake of the original version?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 17:14   Link #150
RisArk

I did read somewhere that they're making stuff like the Water Temple easier and fixing the bugs. So it's Ocarina of Time 1.11.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 17:34   Link #151
mangatron

Quote:
Spoiler for Dreamcast defense:
I've seriously been on an less than energetic run lately, but yeah my main points were the DC consumers by the masses didn't have DVD playback, and it's an undeniable fact that Sony took advantage of the market as it transitioned from VHS to DVD. If Sony had this grand plan of a Central Entilligence system, they would have made up their own format at the time AKA Blu-ray, and destroy DVD. But ride the wave they did.

Quote:
Too bad that they forget about the quality of the individual features. Jacks of all trades, master of none. The quality of today's gadgets is at an all-time low because people keep buying crap.
Actually smartphones have gone a long way now that competition is fierce, there was an embarrassing lull for about 4-5 years where they were abysmal power-wise, and standalone Digital Camera's continue to up the pixel and introduce(complicate) interfaces, but if there was one market I'd show a cold shoulder to, it's the Media player market. As a former user of a couple of iPod's, I absolutely hated how Apple went from simple to "we're going to complicate user experiences so badly you'll hate it". That is one of the few times I hated actually being a part of contributing to the sales of iPods

Quote:
It's not as clear-cut. Remember that TLoZ: Ocarina of Time already got a port to the GameCube. Other N64 games have gotten sequels that are better. Then there's always the Virtual Console where you can already buy them again. I'd guess the main draw for porting them the 3DS would be its portability.
Yeah, I know about Master Quest. One thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts, was that, they don't necessarily have to remake F Zero X in order for me to get my portable fix, they could make an entirely new one, improving on past successes with F Zero X. I guess there's still that nostalgic feeling where I loved the Death Race mode of X, and it's killing method. Same thing I mentioned earlier about New Super Mario Bros, sharing only few similarities to it's namesake, but advancing things almost entirely giving a new experience in several areas.

Probably the main selling point they might push, is having full, long games on a portable. There are a few games on the DS that require more than 40 gameplay hours to complete, and with the 3DS's increased storage and more power, maybe Nintendo will finally have a handheld with games people won't complain about the value - cost argument the DS was fond of having.

By the way, latest report on the 3DS says they are still working on the design. Hopefully it will end up improved like how the final DS was improved over the E3 2004 prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
I did read somewhere that they're making stuff like the Water Temple easier and fixing the bugs. So it's Ocarina of Time 1.11.
I'm sure they could fix the camera, there were times when it was responsible for a non self-inflicted death
Old 2010-06-21, 21:55   Link #152
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
The PSP effect: a portable game console now has to also do things that a game console doesn't do. *facepalm*
No, this is the I Don't Want to Lug Around Half A Dozen Plastic Bricks Everywhere I Go Effect.

I would never buy a dedicated portable game console. It'd collect dust. I'd forget to take it, or intentionally not take it with me because I don't want the extra weight.

I don't want "a portable game console that also does things a game console doesn't do."

I want a cell phone that is an MP3 player that is a video player that is an MID that is a game console that is a PDA.

Right now there's a few of those but only the iPhone and iPod touch really have the game libraries to qualify for all of those.

So yeah the only portable game console that I'll ever buy is an iPod touch (I would get an iPhone, but I hate AT&T's service, and AT&T hates my credit rating).

Edit: I wish Android smartphones had better sound quality and a bigger game library. It'd be pretty awesome to game on the Motorola Droid or HTC Evo 4G's enormous and beautiful screen.
Old 2010-06-21, 23:47   Link #153
mangatron

phone post

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
No, this is the I Don't Want to Lug Around Half A Dozen Plastic Bricks Everywhere I Go Effect.

I would never buy a dedicated portable game console. It'd collect dust. I'd forget to take it, or intentionally not take it with me because I don't want the extra weight.

I don't want "a portable game console that also does things a game console doesn't do."

I want a cell phone that is an MP3 player that is a video player that is an MID that is a game console that is a PDA.
Basically what I've been saying. The times are a changin'

Quote:
Edit: I wish Android smartphones had better sound quality and a bigger game library. It'd be pretty awesome to game on the Motorola Droid or HTC Evo 4G's enormous and beautiful screen.
Hey, another person into smartphones here. For Android, your wish would probably be granted once Froyo 2.2 comes out and ends the device fragmentation of Android. That, and the promised speed increases would make you happy.

I am wondering about that one comment, that since the 3DS uses a lot of cpu to drive the dual 400x320 modes of 3D, turning 3D off should make the DS a really powerful Dual Screen portable

Heh, I hadn't realized, they're still on the SD sized cards. Guess having a MicroSD slot would have been too... wouldn't that have saved space in the handheld?
Old 2010-06-22, 08:54   Link #154
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
I don't like them making the WT easier. It was fine as is; the trickiest dungeon in the game.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 10:22   Link #155
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
Nice hyperbole. First, you don't have to always carry everything all the time. Second, at most you'd carry three things: a media player, a cell phone, and a portable game console. Third, if one breaks, you can replace only that instead of the device that has all of your features.
Quote:
Because dedicated portable game consoles are sooo heavy, right?

I'm glad that there are still dedicated portable game consoles, because I don't care one bit about media player functionality on the go. I'd have to pay more to get a device that does more than I want.
Old 2010-06-22, 14:31   Link #156
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I don't like them making the WT easier. It was fine as is; the trickiest dungeon in the game.
They didn't say they were going to make the difficulty easier, but the item management. Which in turn would make the WT easier.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2010-06-22 at 15:18.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 15:39   Link #157
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Nice hyperbole. First, you don't have to always carry everything all the time. Second, at most you'd carry three things: a media player, a cell phone, and a portable game console. Third, if one breaks, you can replace only that instead of the device that has all of your features.

Because dedicated portable game consoles are sooo heavy, right?

I'm glad that there are still dedicated portable game consoles, because I don't care one bit about media player functionality on the go. I'd have to pay more to get a device that does more than I want.
I never once said I want dedicated devices to disappear. There's a market for them, they'll stay!

I said I would like to see other options for "one gadget to rule them all" besides the iPhone. So I could carry one thing, instead of having to carry three things, if I desire to go out without lugging my backpack/satchel/messenger bag around. Maybe I just want to carry a purse and you know, I don't like shoplifter purses, my bags are typically quite small. After makeup, wallet, checkbook, change, cigarettes, lighter, keys... there's not a lot of room left. One device is about all I can fit in there.

I would just like to see something that can really compete with the iPhone on all fronts. Android doesn't have as many awesome games for it as the iPhone does, and none of the good Android phones have good sound quality for music. But there doesn't seem to be anything that can "rule them all" as well as the iPhone. And while the hardware on the iPhone 4 is extremely impressive (and I love the design, it's very attractive), it's still stuck in a walled garden.

Plus, I don't want ads. I'd rather pay for my apps than get them free and look at ads.

Edit: If the PSP Go had a touchscreen, I would have totally bought it and used as a combo MID/DAP/game console. But having to pop it open to use the non-game functions is annoying.
Old 2010-06-22, 18:18   Link #158
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Edit: If the PSP Go had a touchscreen, I would have totally bought it and used as a combo MID/DAP/game console. But having to pop it open to use the non-game functions is annoying.
To be honest, I'm curious as to why Sony hasn't tried to make a phone version of the PSP Go. Although that would still have the same "walled garden" problem of the iPhone.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 18:37   Link #159
Gordy Lechance

Well, phones come and go, and if timed incorrectly...

...does anybody actually remember what an N-Gage was?
Old 2010-06-22, 19:27   Link #160
tkdtiger

has there been any reports on the graphics? I heard one report that said the processor would be comparable to the PS3 and XBOX 360, but even if that is true (I'm a little skeptical) that could be because of the 3d tech they have to use?
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds