AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-10-23, 22:08   Link #41
Nitramy
Umbrella that Smites Evil

Location: The home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, Antipolo City, Philippines
Send a message via AIM to Nitramy Send a message via Yahoo to Nitramy
Don't forget the snowboarding mobile suits.

Spoiler:

The grunts here do actual damage to our heroes quite often, and we see characters cough up blood, end up bandaged and bruised when their suits take a particularly nasty hit, not unlike other series where...

Character 1: I'VE MANAGED TO SHUT DOWN THE REACTOR!
Mission Control: Good job! Now get back to base so we can give you a better suit to hijack the show with!
Old 2010-10-24, 19:36   Link #42
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitramy View Post
Don't forget the snowboarding mobile suits.

Spoiler:

The grunts here do actual damage to our heroes quite often, and we see characters cough up blood, end up bandaged and bruised when their suits take a particularly nasty hit, not unlike other series where...

Character 1: I'VE MANAGED TO SHUT DOWN THE REACTOR!
Mission Control: Good job! Now get back to base so we can give you a better suit to hijack the show with!
Agreed. I finished Episode 21 yesterday and the only who has looked even close to untouchable, even when facing grunts has been Jamil.
Old 2010-10-25, 00:57   Link #43
Vsin
Aldracity

Really, the only thing that I consider bad about GX was that the Frost Brothers' motive was lame (and Garrod yelled it was lame). But then again, everything prior to the revelation supports that, and the entire plot actually has a beginning, middle and end with proper flow. Despite the fact that the series got 10 episodes lopped off the end.

It's a shame that JP doesn't like GX, because it's definitely one of the best series.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 02:38   Link #44
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I've been looking out in the market where l can but the Gundam X dvd. l seen it before and l can remember clear the looks of the characters.

Its cool to imagine as the gundam shoots two beens from its sholders at the same time forms an or two Xs(?). The devastating effects of a gundam gun is really unique...

Best Gundam/s: Gundam 0W and Heavy arms Custom
Worst Gundam/s: All the Gundams in Gundam G. They're unrealistic for my taste.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 09:24   Link #45
Nitramy
Umbrella that Smites Evil

Location: The home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, Antipolo City, Philippines
Send a message via AIM to Nitramy Send a message via Yahoo to Nitramy
*ignores previous poster*

The Frosties' motivation did spring up from that whole Newtype brouhaha. After all, they did shoot down something as tactically advantageous as twin telepathy into Category F, so meh.

But what I found hilarious about GX was that despite the fact that Jamil took a nasty hit and had to get patched up in the hospital, he was still wearing those shades of his! Awesome.
Old 2010-10-26, 13:06   Link #46
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitramy View Post
*ignores previous poster*

The Frosties' motivation did spring up from that whole Newtype brouhaha. After all, they did shoot down something as tactically advantageous as twin telepathy into Category F, so meh.

But what I found hilarious about GX was that despite the fact that Jamil took a nasty hit and had to get patched up in the hospital, he was still wearing those shades of his! Awesome.
That's true...now that you mention it. Even Harry Ord didn't pull that off.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 16:52   Link #47
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Take away Jamil's shades and he wouldn't be Jamil anymore, so there's no way they could fall off.
Old 2010-11-02, 20:29   Link #48
Elo the Blue

Well, I finally finished X and it's definitely one of the better series I've watched.

Not only was the setting unique but there were a number of the aspects of the story were unconventional too like the Burning Lake, how Newtypes were handled, the Frieden crew being taken near Siberia to get executed etc.

The Estard arc my favorite one because the way it meshed politics and war was reminiscent of some of the series that preceded it. The psychotic pilot the Frost Brothers threw at Garrod were interesting to say the least.

X probably had the most intreguing set of main characters of any series I've watched too. Maybe it's the lack of a back-story for so many of them but I really wanted to know more about some of them. I took an instant liking to characters like Kid and Pala.

Two characters I couldn't stand though were the Frost brothers. They literally have to be the best embodiments of failure in any Gundam series. They served the role of scheming antagonists well but their overall motivation was extremely lame and the amount of times Olba held Garrod waiting for Shagia to deal the killing blow only for them to fail just got hilarious at the end of the series.

On a slightly related but useless note, I don't know which kick was better, Jamil's in Episode 24 or Witz's in Episode 35.

It's too bad the series was cut short as the story had lots of potential towards the end but the creators were obviously stapped for time. You could really tell when Satelicon was introduced and vanquished in the same episode.

Overall, X was a fine series and not only does it deserve more attention but Bandai needs to get off their asses and bring it to the U.S.

I'm looking forward to reading the sequel Under the Moonlight. Has anyone here read it?

EDIT: I forgot to talk about the MS. Like the series itself, they were mostly unique. I really liked the Daughtress, Jenice, Septem and Ashatron.
Old 2010-11-03, 03:29   Link #49
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ I only managed to read the first volume. The premise is interesting but I would say it's not the best Gundam Manga out there.
Old 2010-11-03, 04:40   Link #50
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
and not only does it deserve more attention but Bandai needs to get off their asses and bring it to the U.S.
That i agree with, though it taken Bandai quite a while to finally announce Turn A Gundam for a US release, so let's just hope Gundam X can follow.
Old 2010-11-09, 01:59   Link #51
Sanger Zonvolt
Sword That Cleaves Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That i agree with, though it taken Bandai quite a while to finally announce Turn A Gundam for a US release, so let's just hope Gundam X can follow.
I really hope it does, I would buy the boxset in a instant.
Sanger Zonvolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 23:14   Link #52
Elo the Blue

I just read Chapter 1 of Under the Moonlight and it was pretty good.
Old 2010-11-11, 02:37   Link #53
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ Yea it was, I wonder what's up with the weird ass mask...

and I have NO CLUE where to get the rest. Not even where I live. If you're desperate for a new Gundam manga you can try out Ecole Du Ciel (I use to hate it because I thought it was super slow, but I was wrong it's awesome), and Gundam The Origin. CDA isn't bad either.
Old 2010-11-11, 12:21   Link #54
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
^ Yea it was, I wonder what's up with the weird ass mask...

and I have NO CLUE where to get the rest. Not even where I live. If you're desperate for a new Gundam manga you can try out Ecole Du Ciel (I use to hate it because I thought it was super slow, but I was wrong it's awesome), and Gundam The Origin. CDA isn't bad either.
They'll probably expand on the mask--at least the manga does.

I'm a bit sad it wasn't finished but 13 chapters(something like that) isn't bad. After I've finished it, I'm going to read Sousei and then CDA.
Old 2010-11-11, 17:49   Link #55
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Ecole Du Ciel is without a doubt my favorite Gundam manga, so highly recommend it. Can understand why some would say it has a slow start, though it's beauty development, which really kicks in during the second arc.

Plus it's worth it alone for Haruhiko Mikimoto's beautiful character designs.
Old 2010-11-13, 03:36   Link #56
Elo the Blue

Spoiler for manga thoughts:
Old 2011-02-07, 17:46   Link #57
minayuri

I was quite impressed with Gundam X, it was the first Gundam series I ever saw with a decent romance between two of the characters. I adored Garrod and Tiffa as well as the progression of their relationship. It didn't feel rushed or forced like most of the other Gundam romances. I also liked a lot of the characters.
minayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 17:48   Link #58
Amuroray
Banned

The best non uc era series without doubt.

It actaully had characters you cared about,and had something about them
Amuroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 17:50   Link #59
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by minayuri View Post
I was quite impressed with Gundam X, it was the first Gundam series I ever saw with a decent romance between two of the characters. I adored Garrod and Tiffa as well as the progression of their relationship. It didn't feel rushed or forced like most of the other Gundam romances. I also liked a lot of the characters.
I've never really paid attention to the romance in any of the Gundam series I've watched but X certainly handled Garrod and Tiffa's romance and even the romance of supporting characters very well.

I agree the characters were generally likable too.
Old 2020-02-02, 16:41   Link #60
Garrod

This anime is criminally underrated. Does anyone else think/agree Scott McNeil or Vic Mignogna would of done Garrod justice in an English dub?
Garrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha