AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-03-23, 12:27   Link #3661
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
The Translation Status is most probably above 6%. It was 6% the last time the Progress Report was updated and I think we all can agree that Witch-Hunt's time is better spent on translating and editing then giving regular updates.
Old 2010-03-23, 12:53   Link #3662
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Now that we have some free time on our side, I believe it is the right moment to describe our current situation to all of you. There is bad and good news, so I will start with the bad news first, as usual.

There are several factors that have prevented us from working on EP6 full time. First, and let's be frank, we needed a damn break. I don't have precise numbers in my mind, but I think Chrono has translated quite a shitload of lines alone and it is taking its toll to him quite repeatedly (especially if we consider how it was for Episode 5, trying to settle the patch down before the release of Episode 6).
Furthermore, several of us have been terribly busy with our daily lives. I'm still quite busy with my last year, while Chrono is attending interviews for a future job while still attending college for his last year. So the lack of free time and stress don't help at all.
Finally, we are still working on an update for the EP1-4 patch, since it hasn't had one since before EP5 and is long overdue. This is mainly to touch up some of the character TIPs and sync the patch with EP5, not a full sweeping update.
There isn't any other factor aside of these (thankfully...), so rest assured (we have several plans such like the ponscripter engine, but they are on hiatus).

Therefore, it is sort of "bad news", since I believe a lot of you expect us to pull a stunt similar to last year. To be straightforward: no, there won't be a surprise release unless Bernkastel grants us an impossible miracle. We definitely are at 6%, or perhaps slightly more than this. Please do not get your hopes up.

That being said, the good news is that we finally have some time to work on Episode 6. However, please note that doesn't mean we will go hardcore and start moving at a rapid pace. Again, we all have many personal demands on our time. Plus, Episode 6 is yet again pretty wicked in twists and whatever you can expect from Ryukishi.
Therefore, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to release a full patch for Episode 6 by the time Episode 7 is released.
Again, I put emphasis on this line: there is no guarantee, that doesn't mean anything more or less. We may be able to, but there is also chance we won't make it in time.

I hope it will answer most of your questions regarding our stalled progress.
Old 2010-03-23, 14:22   Link #3663
goldenlove27
Tortured Pet

Hey it's no problem I have no complains on what you guys have to do. Hell I'm in college myself and have pretty much the same issues to deal with as y'all so its okay with me. Y'all have done a great job with Episodes 1-5 and the parts of 6 so you guys deserve a rest. I can wait patiently for whenever you release your patch as I have no knowledge of the Japanese language and I only have y'all to rely on...
goldenlove27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 15:34   Link #3664
TW25

Thanks for the status update! I wish you all good luck with all your projects.

Last edited by TW25; 2010-03-23 at 15:35. Reason: Added emoticon :D
TW25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 16:35   Link #3665
~Ayane~

Quote:
Therefore, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to release a full patch for Episode 6 by the time Episode 7 is released.
you mean by September? ouch...
~Ayane~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 17:46   Link #3666
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ayane~ View Post
you mean by September? ouch...
Actually EP7 should come out in August if it comes out at the next Comiket.

That's still a long time though... so "ouch" indeed. owo;

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 18:55   Link #3667
Zero Sora

Well some news is better then no news. Although our hopes of reading episode 6 sometime in the following months may have been put on hold. At least we are still getting a translation, and that is by far the best thing of all.

Think about it, we could have no translation at all. But worst yet, we could of had the first two episodes translated only to have you guys quit the translation, which is pretty much a huge tease. Something to get us hooked and nothing to satisfy our hunger and need for Umineko after those two episodes.

We are extremely lucky to have you guys doing this at all. And for that, I'd like to thank you all for giving us the opportunity to experience some as great as Umineko.
Zero Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:04   Link #3668
tcaz2

Okay so, after much deliberation, we (that is, Lazarillo (the person that did the translating for the make shift Ep5 'prologue patch' we did last October), Shirokaisen, and I) have decided to announce something.

The long and short of it is, essentially, we want to ask Witch Hunt if it would be okay if we help translate Episode 6.

We highly respect you guys for what you've done (single handedly pretty much caught a phenomenon of a series on in the anime community and translated ridiculous amounts of text very well), and though we are planning to translate as much as we can anyway, regardless of your answer, we wanted to offer any translations we do to you guys.

To be honest, it's partly because of how much you guys have slowed down in the last number of months. It's been 3 months and you guys are still at 6%- and yes of course we understand you're busy, and all have lives- and you hardly update your site at all with progress, and we feel we can definitely get a large amount done before Episode 7, which you guys are saying might not be possible for you alone.

Of course, Lazarillo and I did the extremely make-shift 'prologue patch' last October, and we recognize that we aren't as good as you guys. That's definitely a fact, though we both have improved since then (and that 'patch' was rushed, honestly, which we wouldn't do for something bigger- we did it in 2 days with barely any knowledge of Onscripter so we could get it out on the 5th).

But the main reason, I think, is because we think it would be best for the Umineko fan-base to get it out with 'certainty' (assuming nothing goes wrong) before Episode 7. As you should be well aware, a lot of the fun of Umineko is theory making. This is incredibly stifled when there's an Episode ahead of us in Japan, in practically all English communities. Add to that the very real possibility of there being a culprit reveal in Episode 7 (though, no, he hasn't really followed Higurashi's model perfectly, it's still a possibility), and it's something we feel should be done.

So basically our request is that we are able to send you any translated scripts we do to help speed along the translation process. We feel that if more translators are working on it together, it would speed the process considerably.

If you guys are okay with it, we'll send you any script files we get done, and you guys can use them as you see fit. If not, we'll still be translating, and won't use anything from your guys' translation or what-not.

Anyway, that's what we wanted to announce, and I hope this works out the best way it can- getting the Episode out faster and with minimal drama, if at all
tcaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:09   Link #3669
chronotrig

@tcaz2:
PM me and we'll see what we can work out. We can assign you a few chapters and use that as a test for you guys, since having to heavily edit a translation is often more time consuming than doing it from scratch. I didn't read the entire prologue patch, so I'll need to see what you've got. Still, if you're willing to put the effort in, don't mind having your work edited however we see fit, and try to follow along with our punctuation standards and the like, we'd be very glad for the help.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:11   Link #3670
tcaz2

Can do. Thanks for the shot.
tcaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 06:27   Link #3671
UnknownBeast

Hi, I just want to address about this one point.

Quote:
Finally, we are still working on an update for the EP1-4 patch, since it hasn't had one since before EP5 and is long overdue. This is mainly to touch up some of the character TIPs and sync the patch with EP5, not a full sweeping update.
I would like to suggest that if the manpower for this could be transferred to the EP6 translation, it would be best if you do so considering the priorities.

The news is pretty hard to swallow, but good luck on everything.
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 11:23   Link #3672
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownBeast View Post
I would like to suggest that if the manpower for this could be transferred to the EP6 translation, it would be best if you do so considering the priorities.
Please read carefuly what I have posted: This is mainly to touch up some of the character TIPs and sync the patch with EP5, not a full sweeping update.

Furthermore, previous Episodes aren't to be sidetracked just because they are "old stories". We consider it as one of our priorities.
You will have to be patient: regardless which portion of our project we are working on, if we are doing so, it is a priority itself.

Allow me to remind you that our objective is to allow the english community to enjoy and understand Umineko in English. As such, it isn't a plain "translate as quickly as possible" purpose. If it was the case, we wouldn't care of any mistakes or past weird interpretations that don't make sense with additional Episodes to begin with.
Old 2010-03-25, 03:09   Link #3673
StainGlass

Thanks for the update =) The wait is fine. I can't imagine how much time you all must put into it, very much appreciated =)
StainGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 07:07   Link #3674
SupaPhly

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
This will be the longest wait ever
but as they say: better late than never
SupaPhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 15:50   Link #3675
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericaBernkastel View Post
You can buy a copy of Episode 6 (EP5 is included with EP6) on HimeyaShop or Paletweb. As for installing the game, every info you need is on Witch-Hunt's website.

By the way, I think it would be best for you to read EP1-EP4 first since starting the VN with EP5 might be a little confusing if you only saw the anime.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-03-26 at 10:29. Reason: forbiddent content in the quote
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 13:54   Link #3676
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

Send a message via MSN to Nadeor
Hey Klashi and WH group, saw the message a few days earlier
Although I have no idea whatever the thing you guys are working on earlier, but keep going and we will always support you~

"One cannot have hot tofu with an impatient mind"

Quality > Quantity/Speed, my EP6 has just arrived yesterday
Please keep up the good work~

~Nadeor
Nadeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 07:51   Link #3677
UnknownBeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Please read carefuly what I have posted: This is mainly to touch up some of the character TIPs and sync the patch with EP5, not a full sweeping update.

Furthermore, previous Episodes aren't to be sidetracked just because they are "old stories". We consider it as one of our priorities.
You will have to be patient: regardless which portion of our project we are working on, if we are doing so, it is a priority itself.

Allow me to remind you that our objective is to allow the english community to enjoy and understand Umineko in English. As such, it isn't a plain "translate as quickly as possible" purpose. If it was the case, we wouldn't care of any mistakes or past weird interpretations that don't make sense with additional Episodes to begin with.
Yes, I took that into consideration when I typed my message, and it stands, I don't know how much work could go into that, so if the manpower could be transferred, I think it would be best to do so. And please notice that "transferring the manpower" isn't "translate as quickly as possible". It's just transferring the manpower to EP6 while doing what you guys awesumly do, and according to your objective, nothing more.

And well, I don't consider temporary shifting the workforce as sidetracking things... But if you put it that way, while you're not sidetracking the previous Episodes, that sorta makes the current Episode being the one sidetracked instead. :P

Well again, best of wishes to everything.
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 18:38   Link #3678
mneme
Is busy drawing...

As it is, I'm amazed that you fantastic people have been able to do so much so fast already. Slowing down to take care of things, your lives, and readjusting the previous episodes, and taking your time is an awesome thing to do.

As someone else pointed out, Umineko is about theories and trying to play off the information given to figure out the puzzle. If the information given to us is wrong or basic because its rushed and shoved out before a due date because a few fans are impatient, then one might as well take Atlas and read the damn thing that way if they want it so badly.

I've already read Ep 6 with Atlas, and it is understandable to the point of being able to thoroughly enjoy it even with the strange machine translation. I am looking forward to Witch Hunt's professional product (the fact that you are all doing this on your free time is really commendable when you look at the product produced. I would not expect any paid company to do half as good a job as you all have.) but I understand and think any complaint about your speed is completely unwarranted.

The second read through the episode when the patch is released will be even more enjoyable because I will definitely think "So that’s what that strange wording means" and "Thank god Kanon isn’t **oto anymore." And be able to enjoy it even more because of your hard work.

Good luck and great work, I appreciate everything you've done for those of us who aren't versed enough in the language to read it raw.
mneme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 15:29   Link #3679
UsagiTenpura
Artist

As far as I'm concerned Umineko translation is going nontheless faster then most thing's official translations takes time to.

So I think you guys are beyond amazing, thanks for everything.
As for working on arc 1-2-3-4 being restranslated first.... it makes a lot of sense to me.
After all it was said in red that all the clues are within arc 1-2-3-4.

You guys are courageous to even attempt to do all of that, so take all the time you need, even if we had to wait over a year for arc 6 I wouldn't be upset - sooner or later we'll read them.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 12:23   Link #3680
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Suddenly all my "onscripter-en.exe"s for all my English patches are being deleted by my Norton virus software as "security risks" ;_; This hasn't happened before T_T What's going on?

EDIT: I even downloaded the most recent version of onscripter and it's still getting deleted.

I had to turn SONAR completely off to get onscripter to work. Unfortunately this means I won't get the quick detection of other security risks. Feel free to tell me if there's any specific settings I could turn off on SONAR to let onscripter work without having to turn it completely off.

Last edited by TsundereCake; 2010-04-10 at 12:48.
TsundereCake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation