AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-05-04, 17:12   Link #1
Oravu

Use of non Japanese music in Anime

How do people here react to Anime that uses songs with lyrics other that Japanese (and very bad engrish) . I personally love it when series stray from the standard J-pop formula, especially in opening sequences. Two of my favorite series Hellsing and Samurai Champloo both does this to a great effect. I also love the opening song from Serial Experiments Lain(Duvet by brithish band Bôa) and the beautiful Lilium at the opening of Elfen Lied. And the great opening songs for GiS SaC (Inner universe and Rise by Yoko Kanno)

What do you guys think of using non Japanese songs in anime, I really like more examples of this done well (and maybe some less successful attempts to).
Oravu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 17:58   Link #2
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I love any music as long as it fits the mood of the show/movie I'm watching. Doesn't matter to me what language it is in. One of my favorite movies Gladiator applies great foreign music in its movie that really capture the feel of the movie and I can't see any english song really capturing that feeling.

Same thing goes for my favorite anime show Mushishi. The OP song is an english song sung by Ally Kerr. It fits so well with the show I wouldn't ever want it any other way.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 23:36   Link #3
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

My favorite would be the Op for Serial Experiment Lain, Duvet by British Rock Band, BoA(Not related to the famous K-POP Star of the same).
Old 2009-05-04, 23:46   Link #4
Poey
The Jelly Jam

Send a message via AIM to Poey Send a message via MSN to Poey
I don't mind authentic Japanese music, but overused Engrish is just plain annoying to me. I LOVE outside music, especially like the ones mentioned in this thread (like Duvet and Lilium). Another one I love is the Gunslinger Girl theme song, Light Before We Land.
Poey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 03:28   Link #5
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Any votes for Romeo x Juliet's OP? It's a pretty awesome rendition of "You Raise Me Up" because Lena Park sings that really beautifully.

If you're talking about BGM, I'm always up for some classical themes. Hearing "The Great Gates of Kiev" from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition while watching RideBack is always a good way to start things off since that theme does manage to be pretty darn epic.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 03:37   Link #6
demetriseydo

Tonight Tonight Tonight is awesome. Nuff said.

The best Bleach Opening but it is in fillers.
demetriseydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 03:56   Link #7
Tri-ring

I remember Masion Ikkoku second opening was an non-Japanese piece.

Gilbert O'Sullivans
Alone Again

There was also Hello VIFAM
Op theme for Round Vernan VIFAM
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 15:56   Link #8
Coruja

Higashi no Eden is a good example (Falling Down by Oasis), the OP is a great song and it fits.
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 09:18   Link #9
Ender!
Spiral

Send a message via AIM to Ender! Send a message via MSN to Ender!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
Higashi no Eden is a good example (Falling Down by Oasis), the OP is a great song and it fits.
Higashi no Eden's OP is really good, but it's always a surprise whenever I open an anime file and hear an English song. Just 'cause it's not usual. xP But I'm waiting for the full version.
Ender! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 10:32   Link #10
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think we should make a distinction between Western songs from western bands that are used as anime openings and japanese songs made by japanese artists with english or foreign lyrics.

Paranoid Android (Radiohead) - Ergo Proxy
Falling down (Oasis) - Higashi no Eden
Alone Again (Gilbert 'o Sullivan) - Maison Ikkoku
Shine (Mr Big) - Hellsing
Light before we land (Delgado) - Gunsliger girl
Duvet (Boa) - Lain

these are all good example of songs that were "borrowed", some of those were major hits on the selling charts.

Gravity (Yoko Kanno) - Wolf's Rain
In this Serenity (Kosuke Yamashita) - Xenosaga
Inner Universe (Yoko Kanno) - Gits Sac (Russian)
Libera me From Hell (Taku Iwasaki) - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Latin and English)

Are examples of songs created specifically for the anime with non japanese lyrics. I must say most of them were made by Yoko Kanno ^^;

And there is a third cathegory: Western songs from western bands that were adapted with Japanese lyrics:

Sugar Baby Love (The Rubettes) - A little snow fairy Sugar

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 12:58   Link #11
Shadow Kira01

The first one I can think of is the opening for Higashi no Eden which is Falling Down by Oasis.

I am certain there are a number of animes that use non-Japanese language song tracks by foreign artists but for some reason, I can't seem to find any in my anime list..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 14:35   Link #12
signorRossi

Krasno Sontse from Princess Arete sung in Russian by Origa is also such a great N-J song, and Origa did a Russian version of the Fantastic Children ED too, also very good. Then there are the Yoko Kanno songs that have the Italian singer Ilaria Graziano as vocalist, like 'I Do' from GitS, or 'Pearls' from Cowboy Bebop, i love them (and understand what she sings).
Anime helps me find good music, it doesn't matter which language it is in.

Last edited by signorRossi; 2009-05-07 at 14:48.
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 01:24   Link #13
Cyanide
d e a d l y;

This reminds me of when I was watching Hana Yori Dango KR, and they had Britney Spears playing in the background.. >_> but that was a J-drama, so I suppose it doesn't count here.

I'm perfectly fine with non-Japanese music playing in certain series, and honestly I think it's pretty cool some of the time. If a song fits, then it fits, it doesn't have to be Japanese just because it's playing in an anime.
Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 03:39   Link #14
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
Krasno Sontse from Princess Arete sung in Russian by Origa is also such a great N-J song, and Origa did a Russian version of the Fantastic Children ED too, also very good. Then there are the Yoko Kanno songs that have the Italian singer Ilaria Graziano as vocalist, like 'I Do' from GitS, or 'Pearls' from Cowboy Bebop, i love them (and understand what she sings).
Anime helps me find good music, it doesn't matter which language it is in.
Since we're on the Kanno tangent, Steve Conte also comes to mind, especially with Wolf's Rain's opening. And then there's Gabriela Robin who has songs in a language that's either made up, or that no one knows what it is.

Also, I had no idea that Arete Hime was sung in Russian. That's an interesting find and I had listened to it without knowing what language it was from, but that wasn't all too important since that song was utterly beautiful.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 04:23   Link #15
Tri-ring

Although it wasn't used in anime, the op and ending for Detective Story(探偵物語)was bad ass and worth noteing.

We also have Monkey Magic performed by Godaigo that is also form the 70's.
Old 2009-05-14, 07:50   Link #16
violentv

lol...the 1st song that popped into my mind was euphoric field by Elisa...there was both a jap and erm..Engrish version used in the anime... Pretty decent I guess...

Erm..If I recall correctly one of the vandread openings or endings was an Engrish song and zz it was rather horrible.

lol...

ah.. and the song Ana by Lia in Clannad. lol..last used in the Tomoyo: Another world's ending

The place is so far away. be far apart.
people's hand does not reach,so merely has (the) worship.

The place is a lofty lord. can't meet nobody put on.
We will lose the place.so lofty which changes.

zz besides the horrible engrish..It just doesnt fit the scenes in which it was used.
violentv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 07:58   Link #17
Tri-ring

Openings for recent anime Rideback and Rental Magica was English which also had a Japanese version.
The ending for the present Hajime no Ippo anime is also English.
Old 2009-05-14, 08:06   Link #18
Ottocycle

One of the most striking examples I've ever seen: Hanada Shounen Shi, which used Backstreet Boys' songs as its OP/ED.
Spoiler for videos:

It's in my to-watch list, though it's not the songs that interested me. It left me smirking for a while though. Even so, I've seen reviews saying that the songs are actually fitting. Now that's fascinating.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 08:53   Link #19
AeroVance
[Insert witty title]

Send a message via Yahoo to AeroVance
I like the ending song Omna Magni for Aquarion. It's cute.
AeroVance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 09:54   Link #20
SageGaiGar
You are Next

I'm thinking of the OP for Black Heaven. "Cautionary Warning"

Ergo Proxy's OP's good too.