AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-05, 03:54   Link #101
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coroloro View Post
Regarding the question about Mai's ending, and then the comment- here's my impression, having just finished (my first "ending" in the game since running it with the translation, btw!)

Spoiler for Kanon game, Mai Ending:

-Coro
Spoiler:
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 08:17   Link #102
coroloro

Oh, I quite agree, nobody really knows the extent to which those things involving Mai go.

Spoiler for Kanon game, Mai's ending:

By the way: I just wanted to say how breathless I was when I finished Kanon the first time, via Mai's route. I mean, absolutely stunned- I had experienced the first Kanon anime, and then again when the newer, longer version came out for anime. I bought the game finally but could not play it- and so it sat. I wasn't too worried, as I assumed I pretty much knew what happened anyway. There was, however, something totally different about the game- an immersion so intense that the anime doesn't quite cut it. Especially with the Japanese voices added in (if you DO NOT have the voice pack installed- INSTALL IT. There's just no comparison to the emotional level it reaches when you hear the voices- especially for Mai. It makes her jokes fifty times funnier, too :P Like when she substitutes for a wild pig and goes "Moo", and the dog, and says "Wan wan". You just can't imagine it as funny as the voice sounds!). The read-me in the translation patch tells you where to get the voices from.

But I'd just like to say- that I am so delighted I got this game now, and that the patch finally came out. If Clannad is this good, I might have to buy that one too (by the way, is the Clannad translation as good as this one- and if so, where do you get it? I'd like to confirm it exists before I buy the game). There's also something statisfying about not having "Yuichi" two-timing, three-timing, or quad-timing girls... you can focus on just one, and that's quite nice. I found with Mai's ending, I got to the point where I felt in synch with the character, the way he looked forward to every new day alongside the two girls- that "everyday experience" feel was quite neat. I hope the other paths turn out as fun! Oh- and I encourage everyone who might have missed it, don't forget- there is a SUB-PATH for Mai. If you play it through again after getting the good ending once (I used fast-forward to get to the right part) you get a "hidden option" to choose a Sayuri-path! That was VERY fun!!

-Coro

Last edited by coroloro; 2009-08-05 at 08:27. Reason: Adding some more I forgot to add :)
coroloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 02:16   Link #103
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Oh, I quite agree, nobody really knows the extent to which those things involving Mai go.

Spoiler for Kanon game, Mai's ending:

By the way: I just wanted to say how breathless I was when I finished Kanon the first time, via Mai's route. I mean, absolutely stunned- I had experienced the first Kanon anime, and then again when the newer, longer version came out for anime. I bought the game finally but could not play it- and so it sat. I wasn't too worried, as I assumed I pretty much knew what happened anyway. There was, however, something totally different about the game- an immersion so intense that the anime doesn't quite cut it. Especially with the Japanese voices added in (if you DO NOT have the voice pack installed- INSTALL IT. There's just no comparison to the emotional level it reaches when you hear the voices- especially for Mai. It makes her jokes fifty times funnier, too :P Like when she substitutes for a wild pig and goes "Moo", and the dog, and says "Wan wan". You just can't imagine it as funny as the voice sounds!). The read-me in the translation patch tells you where to get the voices from.

But I'd just like to say- that I am so delighted I got this game now, and that the patch finally came out. If Clannad is this good, I might have to buy that one too (by the way, is the Clannad translation as good as this one- and if so, where do you get it? I'd like to confirm it exists before I buy the game). There's also something statisfying about not having "Yuichi" two-timing, three-timing, or quad-timing girls... you can focus on just one, and that's quite nice. I found with Mai's ending, I got to the point where I felt in synch with the character, the way he looked forward to every new day alongside the two girls- that "everyday experience" feel was quite neat. I hope the other paths turn out as fun! Oh- and I encourage everyone who might have missed it, don't forget- there is a SUB-PATH for Mai. If you play it through again after getting the good ending once (I used fast-forward to get to the right part) you get a "hidden option" to choose a Sayuri-path! That was VERY fun!!

-Coro
Well, for every VN and it's anime adaptation... the VN is much, much better. You just don't develop that same connection with the characters when you watch the anime adaptations. It's just a matter of the amount of time you spend with the characters playing a VN, that kind of intimacy, can't really be compared to passively watching the anime version.

There is a rough English translation patch out there (it's not that hard to find, just google it.) As for quality, I'd say it's pretty well done... a few little hiccups here and there.

As for the game, I liked it more than Kanon... it's much longer than Kanon though. KEY really like's it's "miracles" and with the added theme of "family," Clannad is a pretty powerful work.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 08:59   Link #104
coroloro

Someone mentioned another Key game that was translated to English, besides Kanon and Clannad- which one is that again, what's it generally about, and where is the English patch available? Is that one a pretty good quality too, translation-wise? I think I might prefer to buy a game that hasn't had a big anime release yet, since I already know the Clannad story- via anime- but would enjoy a one that is new to me.

-Coro
coroloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 16:03   Link #105
Gibber

Quote:
Someone mentioned another Key game that was translated to English, besides Kanon and Clannad- which one is that again, what's it generally about, and where is the English patch available? Is that one a pretty good quality too, translation-wise? I think I might prefer to buy a game that hasn't had a big anime release yet, since I already know the Clannad story- via anime- but would enjoy a one that is new to me.

-Coro
I think it's Planetarian, as I think Air and Little Busters are being translated right now and I don't know any other Key stuff lol. It's a linear/kinetic VN, so no choices, and it's rather short but I've never played it so I wouldn't know. Google around for information and the english patch.
Gibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 22:38   Link #106
Kudryavka

Seems that I'm running into a problem with the final patch. Whenever I try to start a new game, the text box says "Error: interpreter detection failed. Unable to format text." constantly. Not to mention that I installed the included Deja Vu Sans Mono font, and it won't show up in the list of fonts in the game configuration. Help, please?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-21, 23:15   Link #107
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

I'm having major frustrations with installing the English Patch. I've followed the instructions online, but it still never plays in English! Can someone give me a very-very-very specific walk-through to using the English patch?

Things:

I'm using the all-ages edition.
Yes, I have the not-really-old one.
I've been having to copy all the game files into a folder since actually installing the game is a whole nother set of RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE and frustration from me.

EDIT: Never mind, it's been installed correctly. English Patch problems still not fixed yet, though

Last edited by TsundereCake; 2009-08-21 at 23:44.
TsundereCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 00:29   Link #108
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
I'm having major frustrations with installing the English Patch. I've followed the instructions online, but it still never plays in English! Can someone give me a very-very-very specific walk-through to using the English patch?

Things:

I'm using the all-ages edition.
Yes, I have the not-really-old one.
I've been having to copy all the game files into a folder since actually installing the game is a whole nother set of RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE and frustration from me.

EDIT: Never mind, it's been installed correctly. English Patch problems still not fixed yet, though
I never had Kanon SE All Ages, but I'll help you best I can, with my prior knowledge of VisualArt's games.

About installing the game from the CD, here's a way to do it:
1) Put the CD in your CD/DVD drive.
2) The CD should start automatically and take you to Kanon's splash screen. If not, do this below:
2a) Go to My Computer (Desktop-->My Computer on XP), and double-click the drive where Kanon has loaded. (The specific drive will vary depending on what other drives you have on your computer. Just look for the drive that has a snowflake for its icon, and that's Kanon)
2b) Double-click the icon that says something about "Auto run"
3) At the splash screen, click on the left button that says セットアップ
4) Click the farthest left button on the bottom.
5) If a dialog pops up with a Yes and No, click Yes
6) Wait for it to finish installing. When it finishes, the splash screen will return, but with more buttons. Click the one at the center in the bottom to start the game in fullscreen mode, or click the button right above that to start the game in windowed mode.
*After installing Kanon, you can also start it up by going to its directory on your hard drive and Run the Reallive file in Kanon's folder.

About installing the patch, that's pretty easy too.
1) Download NDT's patch.
2) Extract it somewhere.
3) Highlight everything in the folder, right click any of the highlighted icons, and choose Cut (or Copy, if you don't feel like re-extracting the patch in case you need to start over)
4) Navigate to Kanon's installation folder, right click an empty space (not one of the icons), and choose Paste
5) Multiple dialogs will pop up, asking you if you want to replace xxx with xxx. To make things short and sweet, hit Yes to All. If the dialog comes up again, just hit Yes to All again.
6) When it's done, start up Kanon (might as well go through Reallive.exe, since you're already there), and everything should work fine - as fine as the patch worls with Kanon SE All Ages, anyway. If there are any errors or anything, then that's applying patches onto halfway compatible games for ya.

That should be it!

::edit:: You are using the All Ages edition of Kanon Standard Edition, right? Not the one released with Key 10th Memorial Box, not emulating a console port, and not using an AVG32 based version of Kanon? If you're using the true blue, 2005 Kanon Standard Edition All Ages, then you shouldn't have major problems.
Old 2009-08-22, 10:52   Link #109
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
::edit:: You are using the All Ages edition of Kanon Standard Edition, right? Not the one released with Key 10th Memorial Box, not emulating a console port, and not using an AVG32 based version of Kanon? If you're using the true blue, 2005 Kanon Standard Edition All Ages, then you shouldn't have major problems.
Yes, I have the version that's sold at himeyashop.com (don't feel like putting a link up right now )

I did what you said and the game seems to be running fine, but was I supposed to put the "all ages" SEENs into the main folder or just keep them in the foler they're in? And was I supposed to run the reallive-patch.exe? If not, then thank you soooooooooo much for helping me^^
Old 2009-08-22, 13:42   Link #110
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
Yes, I have the version that's sold at himeyashop.com (don't feel like putting a link up right now )

I did what you said and the game seems to be running fine, but was I supposed to put the "all ages" SEENs into the main folder or just keep them in the foler they're in? And was I supposed to run the reallive-patch.exe? If not, then thank you soooooooooo much for helping me^^
No no, don't worry about the All Ages SEENs. Those are for turning off the H-scenes if you're using Kanon SE (the ero one) but don't want to see the H-scenes. Since your Kanon already has the ero taken out, just ignore those SEENs.

And ignore reallive-patch.exe as well. That's an auto-patcher for if you're lazy and didn't want to install the patch the manual way. If you followed my instructions, you already have the patch installed, so leave reallive-patch.exe alone.
Old 2009-08-31, 18:45   Link #111
Tahtorak

File Error!

I followed your steps, but whenever I try to play the game, I get:
"File Error!
ftf@fCf<,EfAfNfZfX,A,<<,U,2,n(SAVE)
[C:\Program Files\Kanon\]''
What did I do wrong? Help me!
Tahtorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 19:12   Link #112
Tahtorak

Annoying

Ps. I keep getting the stupid message when i press the ctrl buttons!
Tahtorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 23:51   Link #113
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahtorak View Post
I followed your steps, but whenever I try to play the game, I get:
"File Error!
ftf@fCf<,EfAfNfZfX,A,<<,U,2,n(SAVE)
[C:\Program Files\Kanon\]''
What did I do wrong? Help me!
1st) Set yo Applocale to Japanese! I assumed that everyone already did that...

Seriously, if you plan on regularly playing any Japanese games, I highly suggest you learn how to switch Applocales to/from American English/Japanese. If you need help with that, look around; try one of the stickied threads in the Games section, the one about how to play Japanese games.

2nd) Did you fool around in Kanon's directory and move the SAVE folder? I can't make much of the error message because it's a bunch of gibberish, so follow the 1st) suggestion, then repost the error message if there still is one, please.

And if you're not using Kanon Standard Edition All Ages, you mailed your fission, man.
Old 2009-11-02, 09:17   Link #115
blackrikku

i'm having trouble getting past a certain scene in shiori's and makoto's arc no matter wat choices i pick it goes back too the bad ending anybody know why?
blackrikku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, ero-game, eroge, key, romance, visual novel