Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-31, 14:19   Link #1221
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
It appears that the tourists have mistaken Gion as a theme park or a tourist site where the geisha and maiko walking on the streets are considered as some sort of performance. However, this belief is ridiculous to begin with. Hopefully, the local government would come up with some sort of measure when they decide to promote tourism in the area next time. There will also be patrolling from now on because the geisha and maiko will be in a troublesome position if they show up late at their respective teahouses which may upset their customers and cause trouble to both their careers and the teahouses. Inconsiderate tourists should be punished. (>_<)
The sad thing is that instead of just punishing or lecturing *those* tourists, what usually happens is the equivalent of the "no gaijin allowed" signs go up.

Like the recent closing of the Tsukiji fish market because idiot tourists couldn't be bothered to comply with reasonable requests about behavior.
Old 2008-12-31, 15:01   Link #1222
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Pratchett's to be knighted!
Old 2008-12-31, 15:19   Link #1223
Theowne
耳をすませば

The funny thing about those no foreigner (or usually Japanese only) signs is that when an American sees it, he's reminded of U.S. segregation and thinks it some racial purity thing, when in reality it's mostly because the Japanese don't like being in uncomfortable situations and a foreign customer can bring uncomfortable situations, and not in a negative way (having to speak English, for example).

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-12-31, 18:03   Link #1224
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
The funny thing about those no foreigner (or usually Japanese only) signs is that when an American sees it, he's reminded of U.S. segregation and thinks it some racial purity thing, when in reality it's mostly because the Japanese don't like being in uncomfortable situations and a foreign customer can bring uncomfortable situations, and not in a negative way (having to speak English, for example).
No, I think it really does stem partially from Japanese racial ways of thinking. Japan isn't the only nation with its own language, you know, and English is much more widespread there than in many other non-English speaking countries -- but few other countries have 'no foreigners' signs in their windows.
Old 2008-12-31, 18:10   Link #1225
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Brilliant! Deserving yet strangely ironic.
Old 2008-12-31, 19:48   Link #1226
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

They might as well just knight all of Led Zepplin.
Old 2008-12-31, 20:32   Link #1227
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
No, I think it really does stem partially from Japanese racial ways of thinking. Japan isn't the only nation with its own language, you know, and English is much more widespread there than in many other non-English speaking countries -- but few other countries have 'no foreigners' signs in their windows.
Oh, I'm sure there is some racist aspect to it...but overall I think it is more xenophobic than it is racist. I.E. The presence of foreigners is uncomfortable for the Japanese in different situations (such as the bathhouses) so they restrict them from entry. But to someone who has grown up in the west, these kind of signs give off a different vibe.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-12-31, 22:35   Link #1228
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The sad thing is that instead of just punishing or lecturing *those* tourists, what usually happens is the equivalent of the "no gaijin allowed" signs go up.

Like the recent closing of the Tsukiji fish market because idiot tourists couldn't be bothered to comply with reasonable requests about behavior.
Seriously?!!! O.o
But the market was kinda in this alleyway kinda street area with shops on the side (when i went there last time)
How did they close the entire area down, not to mention, it was the income and livelihood for many many natives too...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-12-31, 22:44   Link #1229
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The fish market will continue of course, but no longer in Tsukiji. It's moving somewhere else (don't know where). I first learnt about the impending move back in 2007, when I was doing research for my trip to Tokoyo that year. But this is the first time I heard it's because of nosey tourists.
Old 2009-01-01, 02:31   Link #1230
Shadow Kira01

http://www.automoblog.net/2008/12/31...ius-batteries/

It appears that Toyota's new Prius series will rely on rechargeable batteries utilizing the technology of solar power. Only problem would the amazing concept is what happens when the batteries become non-rechargeable after a few years of usage? Nonetheless, this is a first step the auto industry is taking towards protecting the environment.
Old 2009-01-01, 04:31   Link #1231
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The fish market will continue of course, but no longer in Tsukiji. It's moving somewhere else (don't know where). I first learnt about the impending move back in 2007, when I was doing research for my trip to Tokoyo that year. But this is the first time I heard it's because of nosey tourists.
The market has had problems in the past with tourists taking flash photography, which disturbed the auction process. It's just too popular with the tourists, IMHO, since every guidebook to Tokyo now, it seems, mentions this as a side trip to take.

There was also a TV show/documentary aired earlier last year(?), if I remember correctly, about badly behaved tourists. One incident apparently involved a couple of French guys taking rides on a moving vehicle despite being told not to (and then being rude on camera), and another involved someone who licked a tuna... I certainly wouldn't want to eat something that someone had licked - although I would love to read his "What I did on my vacation" essay!

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-01-01, 05:27   Link #1232
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
It appears that Toyota's new Prius series will rely on rechargeable batteries utilizing the technology of solar power. Only problem would the amazing concept is what happens when the batteries become non-rechargeable after a few years of usage? Nonetheless, this is a first step the auto industry is taking towards protecting the environment.
First? The first battery cars came long before I was born, even, although they have never been really all that practical. On the other hand the sold out Tesla Roadster's got a lot of hype lately for being, apparently, thoroughly made of awesome.

Mind, it doesn't surprise me that Toyota is the first big car company to do a lot of this stuff. Another historic victory for the Japanese car industry, or just a preliminary step? Oh, and didn't your own link says that the battery failure won't be a problem?
Old 2009-01-02, 15:43   Link #1233
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Old habits die hard but some things do change.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/01/01...l?eref=edition
Old 2009-01-02, 18:10   Link #1234
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Old habits die hard but some things do change.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/01/01...l?eref=edition
How aptly that fits your name.

EDIT: If those two guys were speaking their own language they would've avoided the problem...
Old 2009-01-02, 19:06   Link #1235
Aquillion

Vegeta, what does the news say about the Dow Jones Industrial Average?
Old 2009-01-02, 19:08   Link #1236
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
How aptly that fits your name.

EDIT: If those two guys were speaking their own language they would've avoided the problem...
No it wouldn't, there have been cases of people getting kicked off off planes just for speaking arabic. Plus, you're assuming english isn't their first, or at least main language. Well at least the FBI did a good job for once and actually cleared them.
Old 2009-01-02, 19:20   Link #1237
Shadow Kira01

Wikipedia meets $6 million fundraising goal

Looks like the site will get upgrades.. Or the least to say, it will always be up and running.
Old 2009-01-02, 19:23   Link #1238
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
That's hilarious, it's a good thing its finally picking up seeing as its collapse has sent people scrambling to every nick and corner for no reason.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-01-02, 20:05   Link #1239
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Wikipedia meets $6 million fundraising goal

Looks like the site will get upgrades.. Or the least to say, it will always be up and running.
O.o?!?!?!

I swear 2 weeks ago they only hit the 4million mark, someone give them a nice christmas pressie or what?
(Maybe google will buy them out this year, knowing them...) :\

Ah well, let's see how the website evolves, hopefully not for the worse...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-01-02, 20:27   Link #1240
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
No it wouldn't, there have been cases of people getting kicked off off planes just for speaking arabic. Plus, you're assuming english isn't their first, or at least main language. Well at least the FBI did a good job for once and actually cleared them.
yeah, i suppose that makes sense...
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international