AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

Old 2008-01-30, 20:15   Link #41
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Yeah... If they license Ookami to Koushinryou, they'd have effectively taken away three of the best series this season from normal buyers...
I don't think we have to worry about Spice and Wolf being licensed by Bandai Visual USA. From the website here:

http://www.spicy-wolf.com/

....and if you look at the bottom, you can see that Kadokawa is involved.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 20:42   Link #42
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
On one hand I'm happy that the series is licensed. On the other hand I'm sad BV USA is releasing it due to how painful their prices are. However I already know what's going to happen. I'll gripe for awhile and then eventually cave in and start collecting the series. I just need to decide on how to go about collecting it to reduce the pain. Ah well.
Old 2008-01-30, 20:46   Link #43
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
(looking at Horo Sig)
fortunately I don't think I have seen any indication of Bandai being involved with Spice and wolf, I think its a GEneon anime and with Geneon Usa gone, it might be licensed by some of the big four. (ADV,Funi, media blaster and Bandai ENTERTAINMENT) .

Edit:
Someone beat me to it and it seems it is Kadokawa property. Like Haruhi was, so it can go to anyone.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 20:57   Link #44
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

**chokes on Pepsi** $30 an episode!
$30 x 13 = $390. I hope people who are planning on buying this get their money's worth, because I most certainly will not be.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 21:01   Link #45
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
$30 x 13 = $390. I hope people who are planning on buying this get their money's worth, because I most certainly will not be.

$30 for the first volume with one episode , $40 for the 6 volumes with two episodes

so it's more like 40x60=240+30=270, still not cheap read the whole thing they're not nuts enough to go 30 for every episode(i hope) well I can look on the bright side i'll be able to focus on studying more now(optimism blows)
fuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 21:10   Link #46
golthin

Quote:
no no, just one Volume is $30, then the other 6 volumes are $40, still pretty expensive. it comes to actually 270 retail!
Old 2008-01-30, 21:15   Link #47
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Oh thanks. I got that after y'all posted. But yea, it's still expensive as hell. There are plenty of much better series that I could buy the boxsets for for only slightly double the cost of 1 True Tears episode. In no way will this be a commercial success, but for some reason I don't think Bandai is intending it to be.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 21:18   Link #48
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
True Dat, besides I heard a rumor (just a rumor, not else) that BVUSA was going after Ookami to Koushinryou too, but it didnt happen (yet).
As was said, that's complete nonsense. Bandai Visual USA has never licensed a single show (misleading wording of this thread and other news posts on the Internet unfortunately excepted). They take shows that Bandai Visual publishes in Japan and release them in North America. Spice and Wolf is not a Bandai Visual show, therefore it has nothing at all to do with Bandai Visual USA.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 21:21   Link #49
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Myself personally I'm disappointed but not "I'm in dispair!" mode, since if I like the series enough I'll usually settle for R2 releases if I have to. So, an R1 release with this model of pricing simply means I get a cheaper R2 release, with subs as icing on the cake. Expensive simply means I have to wait a bit longer for usable money. However, I do understand most people aren't like this and I hope BV has done enough market research beforehand and hope that they at least break even.
Old 2008-01-30, 21:26   Link #50
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinatsu-no-miya View Post
Wow,that's fast.But if True Tears is good and really worth watching,i will buy it.Why not?
Time, prices, a lot of factors contribute to this.. I do feel that real anime fans should support licensing, but man... That's 2 of the best in the season that they licensed, which means long wait and $ for some people.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 21:34   Link #51
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As was said, that's complete nonsense. Bandai Visual USA has never licensed a single show (misleading wording of this thread and other news posts on the Internet unfortunately excepted). They take shows that Bandai Visual publishes in Japan and release them in North America. Spice and Wolf is not a Bandai Visual show, therefore it has nothing at all to do with Bandai Visual USA.
it is not technically a license but still it is a R1 release by the Japanese using a subsidary in the USA. As these forums don't have a forum for this special case, it has to be considered a license!
Old 2008-01-30, 21:41   Link #52
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
it is not technically a license but still it is a R1 release by the Japanese using a subsidary in the USA. As these forums don't have a forum for this special case, it has to be considered a license!
Yea, that is true.

relentlessflame, thanks for clearing that one up for me. It has been a very crazy time for Anime fans everywhere, everybody is throwing up the "WTF" sign with what is going on with ADV and BVUSA pricing. Hopefully, there could be anwser to satisfy everybody at the end but I dont think that will happen any time soon.
Old 2008-01-30, 21:49   Link #53
Falkor

I'm very surprised to find this show already licensed with only 4 episodes. I guess it's time to start saving money...
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 21:50   Link #54
ThoHell

it's not $29.99 per DVD (unless you really want to over pay), they go for about $22.49. But still the price is way to pricey for 1 bloody episode. I know inflation and everything has made prices go up, but I don't think that much.........good thing I stopped buying DVDs long ago. Thank goodness for huge capacity hard drives, having multiple terabyte hard drives is like orgasmic!
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 22:10   Link #55
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Well, having a forum doesn't matter (this is a forum), but you're basically right -- that's what I meant by "unfortunately excepted". It's unfortunate because it's technically untrue, and causes people to make other assumptions/comments/speculation/rumours that don't make sense in light of the situation. I understand that "licensed" is the word people understand, though. If I were to change the thread title to say "True Tears to be Released by Bandai Visual USA" (which is more akin to what it says in the Press Release), I guarantee that there'd be people who'd come back with "Does that mean it's licensed?" or "If they're just releasing it, why does AnimeSuki consider it licensed?", or (on some other forum) "According to the AnimeSuki Forums, it isn't really licensed" without any further explanation, etc., etc., etc. It's easier to say it's "licensed" than to try to explain the technicalities -- "everyone else is doing it"...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 22:49   Link #56
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Yes Bandai Visual prices everything well above the average retail prices of most DVD's in the american market. There seems to be some discrepancy with them as well between R2 and R1 prices as they are pretty much the only ones that gouge. I remember going into a store at a local mall with a friend and he pointed out a Bandai Visual DVD telling me to take a look at the price and see if I noticed something wrong. I said, "yeah it looks like a Japanese price....WTH?!" That DVD was a single two episode one that was priced higher then a full series Boxset from another company sitting right beside it.

On top of that they are frequently the target of accusations of Shoddy Merchandise and with good reason as there have been many complaints about defective unplayable DVD's or sometimes the wrong one altogether. Also a problem is that they frequently seem to release with Dub only or Sub only audio tracks (which sure enough I read on ANN they are doing with this very series).

There's no real other way to look at it. Bandai Visual is by far no contest the worst whatever the heck you wanna call them, "western branch license exerciser" out there right now thanks to their less for more attitude of marketing.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 23:20   Link #57
Southern Cross
Crux

I'm so shocked, I can't believe that they're doing this already.

Ah, it's quite saddening. Being the student I am, I just cannot find it within my own funds to afford such goodness.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 23:42   Link #58
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

so, basically it means that the fansubs will cease to work on these series(and shigofumi as well)

really, im so frustrated that i cant even think properly. first shigofumi and then this, what' next? kimikiss?

*scratches head* damn.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 23:50   Link #59
nuaythebest

Taken from https://www.dot-anime.us/blog/bossno...val=14#comment by BV's president

Quote:
Until now, Japanese anime were designed to recoup most of their production costs through the first DVD release in Japan, so recouping the production cost in North America would be a small amount. But lately, the current arrangements between licensor and licensee do not allow us to recoup the small amount due to the business model of the US licensees.

Thus, Bandai Visual decided to try a new business model by combining the North American and Japanese markets into one, in order to recoup the production cost from both markets at the same time.
I think there must be something wrong in his brain. Doesn't he know that these 2 markets are a lot different? It is like you said that Microsoft should try to recoup the cost for producing Halo 3 at the Japanese market and Namco should focus the tales series on USA market.
nuaythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 00:18   Link #60
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuaythebest View Post
Taken from https://www.dot-anime.us/blog/bossno...val=14#comment by BV's president

I think there must be something wrong in his brain. Doesn't he know that these 2 markets are a lot different? It is like you said that Microsoft should try to recoup the cost for producing Halo 3 at the Japanese market and Namco should focus the tales series on USA market.
Nope not a clue. He doesn't even have any idea that there's a huge difference in prices between Japanese and American markets. That they only seem to care about using us to recoup production costs shows how much of a damn they give about the American market. In fact, I can't even believe such a comment was let out. It's pure financial suicide to say something like that in American culture and seems like the kind of thing you'd never want to leave the board room.

Just reading the full article makes it clear that they see the American market as little more than an after thought and I can now see why it is that they short-change on the DVD's. We are after all apparently only around to help them break even quicker. How about this:

Quote:
. Recouping investments may evoke an image of a corporation and its executives abusing profits; in fact I have received comments like that.
NOoooooooooooooooooooooo....Really?! Actually no not really most people can understand that, what people don't like to think is they are being placed second in line of importance after another group. This evokes a feeling that the company doesn't really care about someone and makes such a policy harder to forgive
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote