AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-03, 01:31   Link #1
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Anime Saimoe Tournament 2012 (Japan)

Welcome to the official AnimeSuki thread for the 11th annual Anime Saimoe Tournament, one that has become somewhat of a favoured pastime for some people here. Nominations for the 2012 tournament started over a week age on May 25th, and is scheduled to go on for about a month. More information on the tournament will be added to this post and the supplementary websites as it becomes available.

Anything in strikeout is presently unavailable. Links, info, etc. will be provided when available.

The Anime Saimoe Tournament (Saimoe or AST for short) is a tournament held annually on the 2channel Japanese forums. People all around the world participate in the tournament to vote for the most moe anime character of the past year. (Though if last year was any indication, odds on you'll be blocked out from voting unless you're in Japan.) The tournament page is currently here and the nomination page is here, both in Japanese only. However, a plethora of information in English can also be found at this site which does live tracking of the tournament as well. For those IRC-savvy, you can try chatting with some of us here: #saimoe @ irc.rizon.net

The rules of how to properly participate in this thread:

Quote:
Animesuki Saimoe 2012 Thread Rules:

Absolutely no campaign posts allowed.

This includes posts containing ANY campaign verbiage whether in whole or in part. Contributing to the debate is encouraged, provided you do NOT add "VOTE ABCD!!!" (or similar to the post itself). Simply rebutting another's post or opinion with "XYZ sucks" is totally unacceptable.

To be clear:

* Please do not create a post with the sole purpose to campaign for a character!
* Do not add “VOTE FOR XYZ CHARACTER!!” anywhere in your post even if the intent isn't to purely campaign.

We want intelligent, decent and fun discussions about the weekly Rounds and the subsequent winners & losers.

* No Image campaigning.
Do not create a post with an image or collage representation of a campaign poster. In other words: a PhotoShopped image of the character you want people to vote for with “vote for” text added to it.

Posting Etiquette:

* Please do not cross post information about this tournament in other AnimeSuki threads except those which are related to moe tournaments.
Keep all Anime Saimoe Tournament posts, campaigns, character information, voting links, etc., within this thread only or in your signature (signature size limits still apply).

* No "meta-posting".
Meaning: posting about another poster, the thread or about another post itself, is forbidden and will be deleted on-the-spot, regardless of intention. If you want to comment about another poster that’s off-topic and/or personal, send them a PM.

* Any flame-baiting will be deleted and those people banned.
Please keep the thread positive, fun and clean. If your choice doesn’t win the Round and you can’t discuss the fact without complaining, swearing and baiting people into arguments, then don’t post.

* Do not create image only posts.
You can, however, include an image with your discussion. If you want to visually support the character you’re voting for then please do so in the context of your original discussion and use only one or two images. We would encourage the use of “thumbnails” if possible (and please, no large images).
Please use Spoiler tags if you wish to post a non-thumbnailed image
--PM the mods if you need help with posting thumbnail images or using any of the tags.
To vote for characters, they must first be elected to participate in the tournament.

Character Nomination

Any female characters (including female characters without names, gyroids, and guys who become girls at least once in a series) who have appeared in any anime which has aired, is airing, or will air in Japan between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012; appearances on these dates also make a girl eligible. For OVAs, the release date must be between or on these dates. For films, the premiere date in Japan must fall between or on these dates.

Girls are nominated by the first kana letter of their family name, if it's a Japanese name (foreign names use the first letter of the first name, which will usually be the given name). The letters are grouped in the traditional Japanese way, by grouping letters by the starting letter of the letter row. All starting letters have あ sounds. If you're not familiar with this aspect of the Japanese language, go here or ask about it in this thread.

Nominations are ordered by the first Japanese letter of anime. This also applies to anime with non-Japanese titles. Different letters enter nominations on designated days. In order to nominate this year, you need a code.

Each date and time listed is in JST (Japan Standard Time). To find out how your computer's internal clock compares with JST, here's an international clock.

Saimoe 2012 Schedule: (tentative)

5/25 (Friday): Series beginning with A, E, I, O, U or V
5/26 (Saturday): Series beginning with G, K or Q
5/27 (Sunday): Series beginning with J, S or Z
5/28 (Monday): Series beginning with C, D, N or T
5/29 (Tuesday): Series beginning with B, F, H, P or V
5/30 (Wednesday): Series beginning with L, M, R, W or Y
5/31 (Thursday): Additional entries
6/1 (Friday) - 6/15 (Friday): Council
6/16 (Saturday): Additional entries
6/17 (Sunday) - 6/30 (Saturday): Council
7/1 (Sunday): Additional entries
7/2 (Monday) - 7/7 (Saturday): Council
7/8 (Sunday): Draw for the first preliminaries
7/9-7/11: Break
7/12-7/19: 1st Prelim, Group 1-8
7/20: Break
7/21-7/28: 1st Prelim, Group 9-16
7/29: 2nd Prelim Draw
7/30-8/4: 2nd Prelim (Group 1-6)
8/5: Main Draw
8/6-8/13: Break (8/10-8/12 is C82)

Main Battle:
1st Round:
8/14-8/17: Group A
8/18-8/21: Group B
8/22: Break
8/23-8/26: Group C
8/27-8/30: Group D
8/31: Break
9/1-9/4: Group E
9/5-9/8: Group F
9/9: Break
9/10-9/13: Group G
9/14-9/17: Group H
9/18: Break

2nd Round:
9/19-9/22: Group A & B
9/23-9/26: Group C & D
9/27: Break
9/28-10/1: Group E & F
10/2-10/5: Group G & H
10/6: Break

3rd Round:
10/7-10/8: Group A & B
10/9-10/10: Group C & D
10/11-10/12: Group E & F
10/13-10/14: Group G & H
10/15: Break

10/16-10/23: Group Final (A through H)
10/24: Draw for Final
10/25: Break

10/26-10/29: Quarterfinal
10/30: Break
10/31-11/1: Semi-Final
11/2: Break
11/3: Final

Last edited by Aya Reiko; 2012-07-07 at 00:34.
Old 2012-06-03, 02:34   Link #2
Kyuu
=^^=

Oh lordy. That time of the year again. Chock full of characters this time around -- hopefully, everything will be nuts.

And no Western participation allowed again, huh? Carry on...
Old 2012-06-03, 03:06   Link #3
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

So, it's time once again. Count me in. The many returning veterans this year will make things interesting.
Old 2012-06-03, 03:23   Link #4
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Man, it's here again. Hoping for my bets to make it far. XD
Old 2012-06-03, 12:52   Link #5
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

To be honest I'm really nervous about the veterans knowing that some of them did really terrible in 2011.

Last edited by Ichuki; 2012-06-03 at 16:11.
Old 2012-06-03, 13:10   Link #6
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

It's that time of the year again! I think Saimoe's been on a Newbie-Veteran-Newbie schtick so odds are this year is for the vets. I mean all 4 Ries, Hayate no Gotoku, Saki and K-ON are still in it this year.

Personally, I'm rooting for Urabe Mikoto this year. Oh wait Gahara-san's eligible. Oh wait Nadeko is too. Oh wait Ika-musume. Oh wait Ami-tan- Oh wait Kurisu- Oh wait. . . Oh god it's overload this year.

I'll be up on arms this time. Full-time Saimoe 2012-blogging commitment plus sigmaking plus character cards (I wanna try the whole ISML thing).
Old 2012-06-03, 13:16   Link #7
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I'm still new to this Saimoe League thing but I hope see Madoka, Index, Black Rock Shooter, Persona 4, and Dog Days characters make the cut. I can't wait to see the match-ups, I can tell that the choices are going to get tough this time.
Old 2012-06-03, 13:24   Link #8
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
To be honest I'm really nervous about the veterans knowing that some of them did really terrible in 2011.
Pretty sure K-On will be one and done again

Anyway, from top of my head, I've returning girls from K-On (Movie), Working (S2), Ika-Musume (S2), Denpa Onna (Ep 13), HnG (Movie), Milky Holmes (S2), IS (OVA), Strike Witches (Movie), Toradora (OVA), Nisemonogatari, A-Channel (OVA), Hanasaku (Continue), Aria (Continue), ZnT (S4), Shana (S3), Rotte (OVA), Fate/Zero, Kaminomi (OVA), Zombie (S2), Amagami (S2), Saki (Achiga...not sure where the cutoff will be but I guess appearing for even 5 seconds count...) and of course, Gintama and Conan. And I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few series...

Of course, with that returning list, we'll have, for probably one and only time, 6 Kugyu tsunderes.

To be realistic, though...
1. Don't see K-On going far. You can still call them favorite but their main hour has long past.
2. Will see if Nagi finish 2nd, again. Shana doesn't look as strong as she's over in ISML, Louise is guarantee to assassinate someone again, Taiga will be a shadow of herself (Doubt they'll want a repeat winner that only gets in b/c of an OVA). Aria is never that strong, and Rotte? She only got into Final 8 last year b/c of the madness...
3. Will see how Poplar-chan and Yamada do. This is no ISML where people keep voting for the same girl, over and over again.
4. New girl wise, Niku is favorite for obvious reason. Kobato is close behind. This season wise there's Chitanda and Kuroyukihime that contends from Day 1. Then there's also Karuta & Rinchiyo that'll surely contend. Last but not least, \アッカリ~ン/
5. Of course, there's also Saki. Most of the girl from the original series make a cameo. New girl wise, Toki and Kuro are the two that standout.

EDIT:
Quote:
I'm still new to this Saimoe League thing but I hope see Madoka, Index, Black Rock Shooter, Persona 4, and Dog Days characters make the cut. I can't wait to see the match-ups, I can tell that the choices are going to get tough this time.
Madoka and Index are not eligible, nor is DD. P4 is, BRS is.

Last edited by ion475; 2012-06-03 at 17:23.
Old 2012-06-03, 17:25   Link #9
Eater of All
NOM

Feels like such a long time already.

Just two things I hope this year: less domination, and less voting restrictions. One is likely, one not so much.
Old 2012-06-03, 23:34   Link #10
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post

Just two things I hope this year: less domination, and less voting restrictions. One is likely, one not so much.
I think the former is safe. For the life of me, I can't think of any series from the past year that dominated everyone's attention like the Madoka's and the K-On's (at its peak) of previous years.
Old 2012-06-04, 00:15   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Oh lordy. That time of the year again. Chock full of characters this time around -- hopefully, everything will be nuts.

And no Western participation allowed again, huh? Carry on...
we have the crawling chaos and great ball of fire, so of course it will be nuts.

just watch those Sans points drop
Old 2012-06-04, 02:47   Link #12
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post

We all would love this to happen. But yeah. . . less domination: probably. Less voting restrictions: never gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
I'm pretty sure Madoka, Index and Dog Days characters are ineligible this year. Which makes me sad because Homuhomu won't get her justice this year. And no Biribiri .
Old 2012-06-04, 02:53   Link #13
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd be happy with just more voters. The steady decline is depressing.
Old 2012-06-04, 05:42   Link #14
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'd be happy with just more voters. The steady decline is depressing.
I just remembered last year's final. . .
Old 2012-06-04, 07:29   Link #15
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

I'm also not too concerned about the single series domination happening again, as I'm inclined to believe that last year's Madoka★Magica onslaught was an exception; the likes of which we'll probably never see again. In all this time, such domination only happened once after all; and this is already the Eleventh Moe Grail War we have brewing here.

As for the declining amount of votes, we know the problem isn't exactly the number of voters, as I'm sure there are many others out there willing to cast their votes; but rather the amount of voter IP bans, which even extend to some Japanese IPs. The expansion of these bans is what's clearly killing the tournament.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:47   Link #16
broken270
Defying gravity

We have a strong amount of shows and characters for this year's AST, so hopefully there will be more voter participation, even if the number of voter IP ban appears to be still on. I am expecting shows like Inu x Boku an Haganai to make it to the finals. Saki is highly likely going to have one or two girls in the final. The rest seems up for grabs. Maybe Makise Kurisu can take one, possibly Takakura Himari as well.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:02   Link #17
RJ TAYLER

A welcome back dearest old friend from me. What surprises do you have in store for me this year? Did you invite some old friends to join in the fun? Well I am looking towards this tournament with ever increased interest, goodspeed Saimoe XI do your older sisters proud.

By the way I am not voting and will be cheering along the tournament from the Friends Of Saimoe Stand as per now usual.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:43   Link #18
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I still have my 2011 saimoe sig because I was too lazy to change it.
Old 2012-06-04, 15:46   Link #19
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
As for the declining amount of votes, we know the problem isn't exactly the number of voters, as I'm sure there are many others out there willing to cast their votes; but rather the amount of voter IP bans, which even extend to some Japanese IPs. The expansion of these bans is what's clearly killing the tournament.
I have a feeling: they do not care other than the results of their collective opinions as to who wins. These people are cowards.

Y'know what would be funny? Someone remaking a "new" Anime Saimoe with a more open voting policy, AND taking the previous history of the tournament along with it. What can these people do? File a lawsuit?! LOL
Old 2012-06-04, 17:02   Link #20
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Final wise I expect some Id@lmaster characters making it if their faction doesn't fall apart of course, even though to be honest this year's final might be extremely hard to predict. I feel like shows like Haganai or Inu Boku SS will pass round 2 but won't make it to finals. While I think the veterans doing worse than usual is expected. For Precure series wise it seems like Smile Precure looks strong enough it'll probably have at least 4 of its main girls making it in round 1 at least and it won't be too surprising if its Kise Yayoi turns out to be stronger than expected. Also of course I am expecting a Kugimiya Rie character making it into the finals as well.

For top 10 this year
1. Kise Yayoi (Smile Precure)
2. Aioi Yuuko (Nichijou)
3. Shijou Takane (Id@lmaster)
4. Shirogane Naoto (Persona 4)
5. Katsura Hinagiku (Hayate no Gotoku)
6. Amaha Miu (Mashiroiro Symphony)
7. Koko Hekmatyar (Jormungand)
8. Aoki Reika (Smile Precure)
9. Kurokami Medaka (Medaka Box)
10. Shana (Shakugan no Shana)

Last edited by Ichuki; 2012-06-14 at 12:29.
Closed Thread

Tags
2012, anime saimoe tournament, saimoe, tournament