Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 11:35   Link #1
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

Running low on C drive space - urgent

Hello guys,

I really need some help with this, if its possible. I am running low on C drive space and i have already deleted/uninstall the programs that were unnecessary. Because i have over 40gb of space on my D drive, I would like to eliminate that drive, or shrink it to pass more space onto the C drive, if this makes any sense.

I have Acer 5101AnWlMi , Amd Turion 64 mobile technology, 60gb pata hdd, i have the external hard drive, 140gb, which will be connected on the laptop from now on, and will be served as a permanent hard drive.

Its a 3 year old laptop btw, and works brilliantly. It only needs to clear the heat sink every once and a while.

Does anyone know how to do the process, without requiring a Windows Cd?

Thanks
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 11:51   Link #2
jpwong

If your D drive is a different physical drive than C, there's really no way you can do anything like give space to the other drive the way you want.

If D drive is a partition on the same hard drive as C, then I believe there are applications that will allow you to resize the partitions.
Old 2009-03-29, 11:56   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

You can use a open source partition editor like Parted Magic to resize your C: partition, but make sure you create a backup of the drive before actually doing it, or you will risk your data.

Also, use CCleaner to clean out temporary files that Disk Cleanup doesn't catch.
Old 2009-03-29, 12:00   Link #4
sa547
*Author

Assuming that both drives have the same file system, try Partition Master Home Edition to resize the drive and see if it works:
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Some other partition tools have to be operated from DOS or even on a Linux bootdisc.

One question, though: I was wondering if you've backed up the data on the C and D drives before performing the resize.
Old 2009-03-29, 12:21   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

So lets clarify your situation:

60GB PATA:
C drive: 20GB
D drive: 40GB

External: 140 GB

Please unplug your external before doing this to minimize confusion, and be sure to move everything in your D drive to the external. Your D drive's contents are almost guaranteed to go away from this. I'm going to assume that it will in the instructions following:

1) Get the Ubuntu live CD. I'm not telling you to install it - it has a nice partition tool that's there to help with the installation. It doesn't matter which version you get, but put it on a CD.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

2) Boot up with that CD, choose the top option (or something like "Try Ubuntu without installing").

3) After everything's done booting, hit Alt-F2 to bring up a Launch Application prompt and enter "gparted".

4) Here's where you need to watch out. You'll be shown a list of partitions, and they won't be in your familiar "C" or "D" letters, and instead "/dev/hda1" or something like it. Make careful note of which is which by size, write them down if it helps.

5) Select your D drive (whichever one on the screen that is, follow the partition size!) and delete it. Don't hit Apply.

6) Select your C drive (should be the only one left) and choose Resize/Move. Resize to whatever size you want.

7) Choose "New". In the window that pops up, there should be 0 Space Preceding, but pick the "New Size" to fill up the rest of the drive (0 Free Space Following). Create as "Primary Partition", File system "ntfs". Leave the rest alone.

8) Look over what you've done and make sure everything's right. Your C drive, whatever drive address it was (should be /dev/hda1) should be resized, and you should have a new /dev/hda2 coming in.

9) Hit Apply, and all the changes will be done. Reboot, and you should be fine.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 15:26   Link #6
jigoku shoujo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
1) Get the Ubuntu live CD. I'm not telling you to install it - it has a nice partition tool that's there to help with the installation. It doesn't matter which version you get, but put it on a CD.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Gparted is a very small distro with only one partition tool, you don't need download the entire ubuntu cd
jigoku shoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 17:08   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigoku shoujo View Post
Gparted is a very small distro with only one partition tool, you don't need download the entire ubuntu cd
Yeah...I saw that, but I've never used the live CD distro before, so I don't know how intuitive that is. I just happen to think Ubuntu and GNOME would more sense to people.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 19:56   Link #8
holyalexander
holy alexander

one easiest solution to your problem is to buy an external HD.. there are cheap ones out in the market..
holyalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 20:12   Link #9
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyalexander View Post
one easiest solution to your problem is to buy an external HD.. there are cheap ones out in the market..
For storage, yes, but the system will still perform poorly if the partition's space is nearly used up making it less efficient. (OP says she already have a external hard drive)

Also, OEMs put hidden restore partitions which take up space. If you have a Windows CD already, you don't need the restore partition because it basically restores the OS with all the trialware installed.