AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-03-03, 20:09   Link #141
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

You know what, it seems they granted my minor wish for the live-action movie that I said earlier in this thread before the reveal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
...if they want to change her character into American white gal, might as well change her name into American-white-gal-name like Monica Kusinski or other names that still has the same initial as a homage to the orginal name instead of giving us convoluted plot just to have her named Motoko Kusanagi.
And looks like they changed her name into Mira now?

Oh well. At least if the LA movie suck, it won't be the Motoko Kusanagi that is sucking . And if the movie works to a great degree, we can all be happy that we have a good live-action GITS.
Old 2017-03-03, 22:41   Link #142
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
All I have to say is.... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

In other words, this is either going to incite more rage, or go down the route of "oh, Okay, it's not the Major we know, so therefore this won't be a complete bastardization of GitS"

Either way, I expect an extremely low score on RottenTomatoes when this finally does come out.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-04, 06:00   Link #143
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The fact that they wait this long to reveal it means they already know it was better to not tell anyone. That kind of attitude means the studio has low expectations on the quality of the product. So I now have even less reason to think this film had any chance to work.
Nah, more likely it was just done to limit the time people would bitch about it.
Old 2017-03-04, 21:12   Link #144
justavisitor

This is insane...if the main character is no longer named Motoko, then how on earth they have the dignity to call this movie as ghost in the shell? They might as well name the movie as "spirit in the shell"
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-05, 09:23   Link #145
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Nah, more likely it was just done to limit the time people would bitch about it.
How is your argument any different than mine? They know they have a bad movie and want to hide it.
Old 2017-03-05, 11:26   Link #146
Tenzen12

Not wanting listen crap from idiotic mobs is not same as actually making mistake.
Old 2017-03-05, 12:26   Link #147
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Not wanting listen crap from idiotic mobs is not same as actually making mistake.
The "idiotic mobs" are suppose to be customers. If they don't want customers, we got ourselves another Ghostbusters 2016 in our hands.

You attack the fans, you lose the audience.
Old 2017-03-05, 12:53   Link #148
Tenzen12

Well even if idiot mobs pass on decent movie, it's fine, it still leaves customers who idiots are not. These deserve it more anyway.
Old 2017-03-06, 06:40   Link #149
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
How is your argument any different than mine? They know they have a bad movie and want to hide it.
My argument has nothing to do with the quality of the movie, but rather the blowback from any changes to the mythology. Honestly, I have more problems with the apparent changes to her backstory than to the change to her name, but we all know which change is going to cause more furor...
Old 2017-03-07, 02:20   Link #150
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-03-23, 14:01   Link #151
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Let's ask the Japanese what do they think of the "whitewashing" controversy

Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 16:15   Link #152
Toukairin
Banned

I'm very surprised by the answers in that Japanese vox pop, to be fair. I was expecting for a fair share of voices adding to the existing criticism that came from fans who first loved the anime version.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 08:49   Link #153
Sacredus

So it's seems this movie is just live action version of 1st anime movie (at least I remember all that scenes from trailers from anime), right? So I don't really get all that "controversy". If anime was good and they just adapting it to live action, then wait for actual movie release to judge it.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 19:27   Link #154
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
So it's seems this movie is just live action version of 1st anime movie (at least I remember all that scenes from trailers from anime), right?
No, no it isn't. The trailer lied. They just showed the scenes they copied from the anime in the trailer, but everything else is just your usual Robocop reboot.
Old 2017-03-29, 03:25   Link #155
saya_leviathan

Looks like the review embargo is lifted. It's 71% at RT as of today.

A bit late but here's Mamoru Oshii's take on the movie:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ll-yet/.113809
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-29, 03:49   Link #156
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I dunno man, as someone who read the manga, I would take his word with caution, since he nearly made his own fanfic with GiTS. To me, SAC and 2nd will always be the closest things to the manga, and the best ones imo.
Old 2017-03-29, 09:25   Link #157
inisipis

Just watched the movie.

I could say that the makers of the film are great fans of the original anime film. One can see the multitude of references to the classic 1994 movie and it's sequel, that the film is a grand visual homage to the original film. The bad news is it is visual homage to the original film, rather void of the metaphysical ruminations of Mamoru Oshii's original, nor does it has the satirical social commentaries of a future society that Masamune Shirow's Manga quite humorously expounds.

Regardless of it's flaws and un-originality (the film mimics Oshii's movie to much but it's tone is more in line with SAC) I find the film quite entertaining. If you want to see Scarlett Johansson in a sexy tight fitting suit that well defines her bod while kicking ass and taking names, then your in for a treat. Actually I find all the actors well suited for the roles, especially the guy who played Batou. The only one that seems to stick out poorly is the only Japanese actor in the film, Takeshi Kitano as chief Aramaki. Probably because I've seen lot's of his film before and I felt like he's quite unease with this role.

Expect more on the action there are loads of it but nothing more. It's not, thank God, Dragonball Evolution, not by a long shot. It's a very well made and rather faithful Hollywood adaptation of a serious Japanese criminal drama TV anime adaptation of a 1994 contemplative movie adaptation of a quirky early Nineties Manga series that takes pot shots of Bladerunner, William Gibson and Asimov.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-29, 13:39   Link #158
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
*snip*
I'm glad to see such a positive take on it. I was half expecting this to hit Batman v Superman level of hate as soon as it came out but it doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I'll have to watch it after all.
Old 2017-03-29, 19:07   Link #159
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Damn... looks like the fanboy rage that caused Ghostbusters to crash and burn didn't show up for this one And before anyone starts, yes, I'm aware there are a bunch of other factors that separate these two movies. Friends of mine are going to see it tomorrow night for an early release, and will probably tell me I missed out on a great movie... but I'm still very salty about the Hollywood whitewashing

If I do decide to see it, it certainly ain't going to be in any way that requires me to fork over any cash.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-29, 20:26   Link #160
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Damn... looks like the fanboy rage that caused Ghostbusters to crash and burn didn't show up for this one
I think we don't need that level of hate for this one coz Rupert & his crew actually respect the original material enough to a degree that even Mamoru Oshii gave good words on it without any legal threats or bribery like what Sony did to the original team of Ghostbusters to make them praise the new Fembusters. We all know that Mamoru Oshii is very critical. Heck, he even criticized his own movie Angel's Egg IIRC. So for him to actually kinda praise this LA GITS should give it a certain level sincerity & goodness in it.