Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-12, 00:25   Link #1
Jpizzle
kawaii.. I guess

similar feel to Mushishi

Almost done with this series and really enjoyed it.

Things I liked about it that I wish other anime had:

deeper concepts

a serious anime that isn't.. well.. shallow

Anything you can recommend?
Old 2009-10-12, 00:39   Link #2
mit7059

While I haven't actually watched Mushishi I know of it and here are my recomendations for 'deep' animes

First off is Natsume Yuujinchou, it's a slice of life anime with supernatural elements (similar to Mushishi). Essentially a high-school boy can see spirits but instead of going with the shounen 'lets kill em' plotline the story follows his attempts to coexist and lead his life with this ability.

Next off is Honey & Clover, my personal favorite anime. It follows the lives of five college students and its really hard to put into words how good it is other to say that it is incredibly good and incredibly deep and moving. It also has some good comedy, more heavily focused on the earlier episodes, so don't think that the focus will be comedy after watching the first episode.

I would say that Cross Game is relatively deep, without going into details and spoilers there is a tragedy and the manga/series follows those left behind after said tragedy. It has a sports theme but is less sports intensive than most sports animes.

Going the opposite directions with sports animes is Ookiku Furikabutte, while is Cross Game baseball is more of a plot device than the actual focus in Oofuri baseball is the focus. It goes into a lot of detail but does it beautifully. Saying baseball is the focus is a little misleading because the focus is baseball, the players and how they interact. It is the best anime I have ever seen that shows how realistic friendships grow, in this case through sports. And it is also the best series I have ever seen in capturing the realistic emotions surrounding an event. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed. And if you need backup ask Theowne, he'll probably show up on this thread eventually, he's a convert.

I'll leave you with Yomigaeru Sora - Rescue Wings. This is probably the most underrated and underwatched slice of life anime out there in my opinion. I'm trying to get more people to watch it. It follows a young rescue helicopter pilot as he copes with his disappointment for not being selected to fly fighter jets and how he learns to deal with the responsibility that comes with being involved with search and rescue.

That should be enough for now, all of the series I listed are some of my personal favorites. I would call none of them shallow and all of the excellent.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-10-12, 03:43   Link #3
Fevvers
a regular van veen

If you liked the supernatural/horror aspects of Mushishi, then do check out Mononoke (as well as its prequel Goblin Cat) and Requiem from the Darkness.

As for something similar to Mushishi's slow pacing and calming atmosphere (albeit no less filled with depth and nuance), there's always Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Kino's Journey, Zettai Shounen, and Victorian Romance Emma (though I much prefer the manga) just to name a few.
Old 2009-10-12, 03:47   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke.

I also second Natsume Yuujinchou. It has something of a similar tone to Mushishi in that it is episodic and focuses on different specific characters (spirits) through different episodes. But it is a bit more emotional whereas Mushishi took a more sort of detached approach to its stories.

Another "second" for Kino's Journey. It's not quite as deep as Mushishi, in my opinion, but it has a similar tone.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-10-12, 05:04   Link #5
Rahan

Mokke is pretty much "Mushishi for little girls".

It has a kinda similar feel without the depth. It's still dead serious, but it's more cheezy..
If you are interested in japanese folklore, it's a good watch since most (all) "demons" are based on japanese mythology / shinto.
Old 2009-10-12, 08:28   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Third, fourth andf fifth Natsume Yuujinchou. That's a slam-dunk.
Old 2009-10-12, 10:52   Link #7
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Also support Natsume Yuujinchou. Say it's more a "less serious" version of Mushishi. Nevertheless, whilst Mushishi felt spiritual, Natsume feels peaceful with a hint of comedy (Nyanko-Sensei).
Old 2009-10-12, 11:17   Link #8
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I would say Aoi Hana is the one series that gave off a Mushishi-like vibe from what I've seen in my time. Very different subject matter but that gorgeous rustic feel, the elegance and maturity in which the series was handled - definitely reminded me of Mushishi.
Old 2009-10-12, 12:07   Link #9
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I would say Aoi Hana is the one series that gave off a Mushishi-like vibe from what I've seen in my time. Very different subject matter but that gorgeous rustic feel, the elegance and maturity in which the series was handled - definitely reminded me of Mushishi.
Controlling my nerd-rage, I'll just say I disagree.
Old 2009-10-14, 02:35   Link #10
Jpizzle
kawaii.. I guess

thanks everyone. appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions.
Old 2009-10-14, 02:44   Link #11
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
Controlling my nerd-rage, I'll just say I disagree.
I will add a second....severe...disagreement to that statement.

Quote:
whilst Mushishi felt spiritual, Natsume feels peaceful with a hint of comedy (Nyanko-Sensei).
That's a good way to put it. I would say, Mushishi comes from the soul, Natsume comes from the heart.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-10-14, 17:26   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Mushishi felt very clinical to me (in a good way) - emotionally distant and portraying extraordinary events in a matter of fact way. Where it was cool, Natsume Yuujinchou is warm - it not only comes from the heart, but wears it on it's sleeve.
Old 2009-10-14, 19:02   Link #13
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I've only started Mushi-shi (7 episodes in), but I'd highly compare it to Haibane Renmei. I've bought Kino's Journey around the same time because I'd heard they were similar but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
Old 2009-10-17, 04:33   Link #14
blewin

I second Natsume Yuujinchou. It's probably the only anime that exudes a similar feeling to Mushishi.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Closed Thread