AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2012-07-04, 22:27   Link #1801
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes260 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't actually mind the dust jackets? I keep them on as protectors of the actual book cover but I don't mind them.
I's keeps 'em, but I's can'ts stands 'em!
Old 2012-07-05, 00:22   Link #1802
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
I's keeps 'em, but I's can'ts stands 'em!

Well shucks! I don' gon' Like 'em enuf' ter keep 'em.
Old 2012-07-05, 08:32   Link #1803
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes260 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't actually mind the dust jackets? I keep them on as protectors of the actual book cover but I don't mind them.
I don't mind the jackets, so I keep mine. I don't particularly like them though. But I'm unique here in that I don't particularly like the original covers artwork either. So for me, it's a wash. A neutral at best dust jacket versus a neutral at best original cover.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 18:13   Link #1804
JThree

Ok. Just finished the sixth novel yesterday, and while I have to go back and re-read some sections, there isn't a great deal of "action" in this book, and it seems to be about the slight change of the twosome of Holo and Lawrence to the threesome of Holo, Lawrence and Col. . .

In my humble opinion, the characters seem to change a bit. Lawrence seems less patient than he has in previous books, and Holo more mysterious, especially with the introduction of her more "maternal" feelings to the peddler's new apprentice.

It's almost like the author is trying to take a breath between the action in the first five books and the rest of the saga . . . as do the characters. The majority of the novel is set on the river as Spice and Wolf try to figure out how to go over Eve . . . or even if they should.

One highlight of the novel is Holo's getting ready for the big "dance" for the festival which occurs in the latter chapters, and I was wondering if this was a foreshadowing of something in the future. For those fans, who have been waiting for Holo's wolf form to make a re-appearance, she does in the last chapter as they take their new friend into their confidence.

More later.

JThree
JThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 19:52   Link #1805
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I will say this is probably my least favorite of the novels (6). I just really got a feeling the author was undecided himself what to do...

That said, it manages not to sink but it does feel like a bit of a time out.
Old 2012-07-09, 20:21   Link #1806
Utsuro no Hako

The dust jackets have better spines than the actual books, and when they're on the shelves you can't see the awful romance novel art.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 22:34   Link #1807
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
when they're on the shelves you can't see the awful romance novel art.
^ Wat.
Old 2012-08-06, 01:37   Link #1808
ATiWolF
Converted Horoist =D

Exclamation

How much trust can we put into Mr.Hasekura's statements in his Afterword?

I just re-read the last page. In the 6th novel, he mentions the third season, calling it "imminent".
ATiWolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 02:15   Link #1809
Redeyes260
Los Illuminati

You have to remember that the series has been finished for a while, so that after note is sort of out dated. :/
Old 2012-08-06, 02:19   Link #1810
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can believe there might be a third season now that the novels are finished. It has happened before in other series and S&W was an exceptionally popular series in Japan for a romance.

It could be several years though, as it was for other series. And it could just as easily be dust in the wind as many other series that deserved a follow-on season didn't get.

I wouldn't sit in my seat rocking back and forth waiting...
Old 2012-08-06, 10:48   Link #1811
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I wouldn't sit in my seat rocking back and forth waiting...
Indeed, I remember for many years obsessing over whether there would be a new series to finish of Inuyasha and all it did was constantly put me in a state of dissapointment when thinking about the show. Stoppped worrying about it and eventually it happened.

Maybe the same will happen for S&W and maybe it wont. No point on dwelling on it, especially since we have the wonderful books already finished. And frankly thats enough for me at this point.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 19:37   Link #1812
Inner Universe

I just finished watching both seasons of Spice and Wolf. I'm looking to continue the story since I can't wait for a season 3 which may never come. I'm looking to either the light novel or the manga. Which one should I go for? I'm leaning towards the light novel because it's where the story originated from, but I'm curious as to what others who have read both prefer.

Why do you prefer one over the other?

Also, do the LN and Manga cover the exact same story, or are there differences between what each medium covers?
Inner Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 20:30   Link #1813
Rajura

Well, there are some differences and the LNs tend to be more thorough. There is also some slight differences in the manga but nothing that creates major plot problems or make me get uppity about how it was done.

I do like both and am working through both.

They both have a unique perspective and bring something to the story and work to breathe more life into the characters... i.e. read both.
Old 2012-08-07, 21:00   Link #1814
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What Rajura said... the manga follows the light novel pretty closely and the artwork is great. The LNs, of course, have more words and inner thought processes of the characters

I am reading both as well.
Old 2012-08-07, 21:38   Link #1815
Inner Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Well, there are some differences and the LNs tend to be more thorough. There is also some slight differences in the manga but nothing that creates major plot problems or make me get uppity about how it was done.

I do like both and am working through both.

They both have a unique perspective and bring something to the story and work to breathe more life into the characters... i.e. read both.
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably end up reading both then. I've never read a manga before so I suppose I'll start with the novels. S&W is addicting.
Inner Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 23:02   Link #1816
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, that's a good plan especially since we know the novels are likely to be completely translated. The manga collections have the problem that the publisher in Japan can suddenly drop a series if some new shiny appears. Basically one has to happy with whatever we do get via manga adaptation of a light novel series.
Old 2012-08-08, 17:47   Link #1817
manicli6

I personally keep the dust jackets on to project the actual covers. That and I know burning ink along with the coating of varnish on the cover will produce toxic chemicals which will result in me getting lung cancer if I accidently breath them in :P
manicli6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 05:52   Link #1818
Rajura

Well, they just updated the software for Dengkitter... this means that the original S&W (very) short tweeted by Hasekura on the Dengekitter has been lost to the ether... as far as I know.

I think I will look for it in my files of captured images and throw it up here... just in case, though Kaguya has a typed and pretty-well translated version as well as the original typed Japanese posted somewhere around here.
Old 2012-08-31, 12:20   Link #1819
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Finally got the book and finished reading it vol 6. It was pretty sweet volumes and less confusing for me compared to other books. The reason why Holo and Lawrence quarreled was stupid but really fits them Also the end part with Col is fantastic, his decision at the end is just like what I hoped when I saw him in the illustrations. I hope they'll stay together until later novels too..

And so...one question. What do you think happen to the missing 3 boxes?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 17:41   Link #1820
jte742

YP has updated their schedule out to volume 9:
http://www.yenpress.com/spice-and-wolf-novel/

Volume 8 will be released in April 2013, and volume 9 in August.

I very much hope they will stick with the series and get the whole thing translated. Reading about what has happened to some other companies in this industry makes me a little worried for the future.
jte742 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen