AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2014-04-25, 03:23   Link #34401
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
The worst thing is, he doesn't seem to be saying 'who am I to speak up to my master? Wardrobes don't talk'. What he seems to suggest is that it is Yasu's right to do all of this, and he's perfectly cool with it.
Well, from the perspective of a perfect servant (which Genji is told to be aspiring to) it IS her right to do it, if not even her duty. That's why I added my comment on the usage of the word shinjuu in the original text. I think many people would be surprised at how prevelant a positivism on shinjuu still is in certain circles and especially during the 80s it sometimes happened for failing patriarchs to decide that it is better to kill their whole family then for them to live in shame and debts.

In medieval Japan it was actually so prominent and positively regarded (some forms of Buddhism told that you would be able to enter a Pure Land by committing suicide) and religion taught that people who loved each other and died together would be together in the next world as well.
This thinking was strong enough that it had to be outlawed in the 18th century.

I'm not saying anything like, "Japan regards suicide as great," but in an environment like Rokkenjima, between a person like Sayo and Genji, Genji would probably regard her decision as something noble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
There's to wonder if actually there's more to Gohda's job than we know. Or was Gohda maybe blackmailing Natsuhi or something
Well, at least the article you linked says a little more about it, so I assume it's in the missing pages:
Gohda quit his previous jobs because of sexual relations with women. So Sayo is assuming that his reason for flirting with Natsuhi constantly is in order to get personal gain out of this situation. And for her it seemed clear that if you found one sin, then others would just continue to appear over time...
Well, her personal experience kinda taught her that
- "Btw honey, you might have been a boy. Oh...and you're an incest baby...and you're the aunt of your boyfriend...and your father might have raped your mother...and planned to kill all people here...and we might have set you up...was that all Kumasawa?! I think I'm forgetting something..."

Quote:
My solution for Ep 3 is that Eva (and Rosa) didn't solve the epitaph, Eva was bribed by handing them the solution to the epitaph. Rosa was alternatively bribed or followed Eva secretly, ergo she too didn't solve anything.
BUT, if that is the case, why did she hand Eva the ring of headship? It is clearly a part of the narrative that Eva succeeded the headship of the house and became the next Golden Witch from 1986 to 1998...for that she must have solved the epitaph or it wouldn't go according to Sayo's rules.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 08:11   Link #34402
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
I'm not saying anything like, "Japan regards suicide as great," but in an environment like Rokkenjima, between a person like Sayo and Genji, Genji would probably regard her decision as something noble.
He's still a monster by the morals of the story, though, so it really doesn't matter. There's absolutely no equivocation over whether what she's doing is actually wrong, it totally is and she knows it and she wants it to not happen. Genji's acceptance of it for any reason is just downright evil. I'm not even passing this judgment, the story is... more or less. It seems to be soft-gloving his responsibility, although part of me thinks it's because Genji became the plot hole scapegoat and has to basically be an evil robot for some of the story fixes to make sense.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 09:34   Link #34403
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
The question of the symbolism is twofold. First: Did Battler and Eva both do something to cover up what happened, or did they both just remain silent so their knowledge would be lost to the world? Second: Did they do whatever they did independent of one another, or in collusion?

These are really important questions and we just don't know! The way it's set up, it could kinda go either way. Eva might or might not have known Battler was alive. Battler might or might not have made a conscious decision regarding his role in things. After all, Tohya doesn't necessarily know what Battler intended to do with whatever knowledge he had late on the 5th or early on the 6th of October, and in the time thereafter leading up to the state he was in when he became Tohya.

Although it seems probable that Eva must have consciously avoided some detail if she knew about Battler's survival. In fact, if the two had contact with one another on the 6th I'd almost have to think they had to be in collusion, but I don't know quite why Battler wouldn't want to be found. If they split up or if Battler was worried Eva would accuse him of something it'd make sense that way, but then it'd mean they each independently decided not to say anything at the least.
Well, one of the two didn't just remained silent, he or she also covered up everything by turning on the bomb... or by letting it on the on position.
If Ep 7 Teaparty is based on the info given by the diary it was Eva. Battler might have agreed/might be forced to agree to it as he too tried to escape.

I rechecked the truth in Eva's diary and in it we can see that not just Battler's but also Beato and Maria's fate isn't depicted (and okay, the servants' but I think the scene with the bleeding dining room is supposed to stand for them being dead).

Another interesting thing is that facts are either not depicted in the order Eva saw them for the shock value of seeing Rudolf and Kyrie as the culprits smirking cruelly (which can be) or Eva didn't witness them in the order suggested by the Teaparty. After the massacre in the golden room we've George's death body, the dining room smeared with blood, Jessica's dead body then Rudolf sitting out of the chapel and then Kyrie apparently leaving the main house.

As they grin we see both of them are dirtied in blood which can work for Kyrie but not so much for Rudolf as he stood under the rain who should have washed it away and also likely didn't went so close to George that blood should have sprayed on him.

So I wonder how much is exactly in the diary and how much is Ange's interpretation of it.

Quote:
While I sort of think to get what you mean somehow the setting for me doesn't work up so well that I can wave it off as just that.

If I turn the chessboard over I see contraddictions all the way in Genji's behaviour. He claims he wants to protect Lion and make him grow happy and yet he basically not only forced Sayo in an environment even more miserable than the one of the other Fukuin children and exposed her at the risk of Kinzo recognizing her as Beatrice's reincarnation but not as Lion in disguise but didn't help her to grow as an happy, stable person at all. He didn't protect her, nor he support her. He mostly washed his hands clean of her and set up things so as to protect Kinzo from sinning... or if he had to sin again with Sayo from knowing he sinned with his own child all over again.

When she starts to show problem in regard to her gender identity which are pretty obvious no one helps her to cope, they just cover up for her.

When Kinzo is about to die Genji sets up a farce in order to please KINZO, to absolve KINZO, to let KINZO die in peace.

He doesn't explain things to Sayo, he doesn't tell the truth to her and then asks her if she wants to meet Kinzo regardless and forgive him and all the stuffs. No, he forces her on a dress, in front of Kinzo, while she's utterly confuse and feeling scared and guilty as she evidently wasn't sure she was allowed to discover the gold and have her deal with all that situation that make her feel as if she has to call Kinzo "father" when she can't see him as such just to please him because she feels some pity for him as he seems miserable is totally disregarding her feelings and her wishes.

She wanted a family. She gets money in form of gold. She's basically paid to act that role.

It doesn't end here. After the farce is finished Genji acts all understanding with Kinzo, claiming he had atoned when actually... who's Genji to judge? And what Kinzo did to atone to Sayo apart from giving her some money?... and Genji does so in front of Sayo.

Then he proceed to tell her the full truth over which was Kinzo's sin whom she had unknowingly helped to feel free of. Kinzo died more or less happy. She's left to live in a miserable state and they knew she was miserable and didn't help her at all.

Genji was way more emotionally supportive of Kinzo, way more caring, way more ACTIVE than he is with Sayo, whose life he had basically screwed up more than Kinzo could have done. While Jessica and George might have missed the signs Sayo was desperate those signs had been spelled out loud for Genji (and Kumasawa and Nanjo) to hear and they... pretended not to.

They didn't support her as servants, they washed their hands clean of her problems.

My only hope of redemption for Genji is that actually he pretended to agree with Sayo's plan but then tattled out the solution of the epitaph to either the adults or the cousins in hope this would stop her and they would help her.

If it's the adults his plan didn't work but maybe he couldn't predict it, if it was the cousins, he did it too late but again he couldn't predict it but, at least, he did something.

Otherwise for me he washed his hands clean of her and no matter how he dresses this up, he didn't give a damn about that poor girl and it was all about Kinzo and himself.

Quote:
Well, at least the article you linked says a little more about it, so I assume it's in the missing pages:
Gohda quit his previous jobs because of sexual relations with women. So Sayo is assuming that his reason for flirting with Natsuhi constantly is in order to get personal gain out of this situation. And for her it seemed clear that if you found one sin, then others would just continue to appear over time...
Well, her personal experience kinda taught her that
- "Btw honey, you might have been a boy. Oh...and you're an incest baby...and you're the aunt of your boyfriend...and your father might have raped your mother...and planned to kill all people here...and we might have set you up...was that all Kumasawa?! I think I'm forgetting something..."
Well, that's interesting even if unexpected. I thought Gohda left his previous work for disagrements with the head chef as the tip said, not because he slept around.

Quote:
BUT, if that is the case, why did she hand Eva the ring of headship? It is clearly a part of the narrative that Eva succeeded the headship of the house and became the next Golden Witch from 1986 to 1998...for that she must have solved the epitaph or it wouldn't go according to Sayo's rules.
The ring of headship was handed to Battler as well in Ep 5 and in Ep 5 also we see that Battler succeeded the headship of the house. So it can be that the ring was handed along with the solution of the epitaph. We know that in Ep 2 Rosa too tried to escape from the island but was late. Eva wasn't but it's possible that Banquet's first version, if it was written by Sayo, ended with Eva leaving Battler supposedly dead and the extra about Eva escaping to Kuwadorian was an addition by Tohya (or Ikuko or both) as the narrative allowed it and it would fit with reality.

Banquet was released as Itokuko's work so even if we assume Banquet was originally written by Sayo, Tohya (or Ikuko or both) might have changed stuffs so as to make it fit with Prime.

In this setting Sayo is still the killer but Eva took "advantage" of it to become the new Ushiromiya head. By doing this however she inherited the blame for Sayo's crime and the title of golden witch.

Though of course, to understand better how Banquet and Alliance came to be I guess we'll need more manga info.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 09:20   Link #34404
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1
I've the feeling that even in their past Kinzo and Genji weren't that nice. Probably they weren't as bad as they'll be as adults but as youths they were probably closer to Rudolf (who did money in illegal ways even prior to getting married but wasn't as bad as he'll become later) than to... let's say Battler or George.

Growing up in the wrong environments probably pushed everything downhill so that Kinzo wouldn't stop in front of nothing and Genji basically would let him do whatever he wanted.
Kinzo and Genji being unremarkable petty crooks during their youth's an interesting idea. That goes along with my mental image of the two of them being nowhere near as tainted as young men as they grow to become as old ones, while being more consistent with their overall characterization than my original interpretation of "Kinzo used to be an angel as pure as the driven snow, before suddenly developing a criminal streak during middle age."

And for everything you posted about Genji being infinitely supportive of Kinzo while severely neglecting Yasu, that's something I find fascinating about the older characters (Kinzo, Genji, Nanjo) and something that contributes a decent amount to Umineko's charm, incidentally - the group gives off a rather strong feeling of being insular, though some members of the group are worse than others (I won't count Kumasawa here since she's a social butterfly that's taken plenty of interest in the younger generation and is in no way stuck in the past). Kinzo's by far the worst offender, given the way he's notoriously bad for playing favorites. Kinzo has his very small group of people that he cares about and to whom his loyalty and affection knows no bounds, but anyone outside those chosen few who received the Kinzo Seal of Approval can go kill themselves for all he cares. With the exception of Lion, the only people Kinzo cares about much are those he met when he was young or fairly young - Genji, Beatrice, Nanjo. Unless Kinzo met you in the 1940s or before, he don't give a fuck about you. I know I'm rambling here because I'm not very well-rested, but I did always find it an intriguing character trait somehow how Kinzo's so incredibly stuck in the past. The 'rebirth' he went through in World War II could be considered short-lived in a way, since he spent the rest of his existence mired in nostalgia for the years of 1944 through 1948.

On that note, does Kinzo ever comment on Kumasawa in any way, or does the narrative ever give any insight into their relationship or what Kinzo thinks of her? To my memory the subject is never broached at all, but Umineko isn't exactly a short story so I might be forgetting something.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 14:05   Link #34405
haguruma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Kinzo and Genji being unremarkable petty crooks during their youth's an interesting idea.
Was it brought up so far that the manga actually ascertains that picture? I don't remember. Kinzo said that in their youth they were both sons of rich families and used to get themselves and other people into a lot of trouble. He describes Genji as pretty good at scamming people and even Kinzo himself constantly fell for his schemes (yet couldn't stay angry at him)...kinda sounds like that power-dynamic didn't change a lick either

I think that from their early days on they've lived in an environment that made them care too few about the people around them. Both rich, both good at being on the right people's side...Genji's family was just too stupid to notice that in an uprising it might not be the best idea to hold on to your fortune that you amassed by working with the government

Quote:
On that note, does Kinzo ever comment on Kumasawa in any way, or does the narrative ever give any insight into their relationship or what Kinzo thinks of her? To my memory the subject is never broached at all, but Umineko isn't exactly a short story so I might be forgetting something.
The narrative actually gives us close to nothing but it kinda makes me wonder whether she wasn't "the wandering priest" who built the shrine on Rokkenjima to ward off the evil spirits...or better if she was the one responsible for being kind of the "ghost story press department" in order to keep people from digging too far.
We can assume, by her love of fish and what indirect info we get from and about her son, that she might be from a fishing family and we know it was the fishers who started the legends about Akujikijima.
I do really wonder if Ryukishi ever planned to do much with her, except make her one of the co-conspirators.
Old 2014-04-27, 15:17   Link #34406
jjblue1

Quote:
Was it brought up so far that the manga actually ascertains that picture? I don't remember. Kinzo said that in their youth they were both sons of rich families and used to get themselves and other people into a lot of trouble. He describes Genji as pretty good at scamming people and even Kinzo himself constantly fell for his schemes (yet couldn't stay angry at him)...kinda sounds like that power-dynamic didn't change a lick either

I think that from their early days on they've lived in an environment that made them care too few about the people around them. Both rich, both good at being on the right people's side...Genji's family was just too stupid to notice that in an uprising it might not be the best idea to hold on to your fortune that you amassed by working with the government
Well, I'll say that's a vague description what we have but somehow I've the feelings the two of them definitely didn't start as little angels.

Quote:
The narrative actually gives us close to nothing but it kinda makes me wonder whether she wasn't "the wandering priest" who built the shrine on Rokkenjima to ward off the evil spirits...or better if she was the one responsible for being kind of the "ghost story press department" in order to keep people from digging too far.
We can assume, by her love of fish and what indirect info we get from and about her son, that she might be from a fishing family and we know it was the fishers who started the legends about Akujikijima.
I do really wonder if Ryukishi ever planned to do much with her, except make her one of the co-conspirators.
Well, we know Kumasawa is good at lying and acting, that she was Kuwadorian Beato wet nurse, that despite often pretending to be ill the Ushiromiya never fired her and that she claimed she learnt about Kinzo's love story with Beatrice by Kinzo himself when he was drunk. It might be she didn't know exactly where was the gold as her son implied she was searching for it... which in a way is bad because she knows who Sayo is and how the gold should belong to her so... unless she planned to do it only for the fun of it, it meant she would have no qualms taking it from her.
She kept silent when Kuwadoran Beatrice was raised in ignorance and when Kinzo took advantage of her and we know that she would be willing to take part to a mystery murder game that would likely scare who doesn't know is a game a lot as well as cause considerable emotional pain just for money.

I think... there's the possibility Kinzo hired her knowing she would do what he asked of her without questions regardless of how bad it was and kept her as compensation for her services.

She's probably not this terrible person, more like a servant old style who just exist to obey but I think she's more loyal to money than to the master.

*sighs* The more things come up about Sayo's past the less I like Genji and Kumasawa so maybe my judgement is biased because lack of love.
Old 2014-04-27, 19:03   Link #34407
haguruma

Quote:
*sighs* The more things come up about Sayo's past the less I like Genji and Kumasawa so maybe my judgement is biased because lack of love.
Maybe it's my inner Bern or something but I honestly think it's rather us being biased because we have too much love. The stories made us doubt the adults but kinda made us like the servants, didn't they?

With Genji it was almost always depicted to be his strong side how loyal he was, how he was an admirable person for how he stuck with the family despite all the odds.
The same with Kumasawa being a sweet, old lady, always with a wonderful story on her lips to make people forget the stress, hiding behind corners because she is weak but always feeling all the sadness of people suffering...even her creepy stories were mostly written off as her having fun.

We keep ourselves from even considering that these two might be bad people...and I think the authors within the story are often doing the same. Sayo was raised by those two and they might even be nice at times, but deep down they have serious dark sides.
Just look at Kumasawa in EP2 and how she is getting a major fix out of having that ghost story conversation with Jessica, about the legends and the unexpected visitor appearing (and her so obviously not talking about Battler).
Old 2014-04-29, 20:54   Link #34408
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I always figured the reason Kumasawa couldn't get fired is because she essentially had blackmail dirt on Kinzo. Even if she never made any sort of direct threat on that, she kinda knows about his hidden lovechild and all. Kinzo and Genji would have to be pretty dumb (well, dumber than they apparently already are) to tick her off.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-30, 17:10   Link #34409
jjblue1

Quote:
Maybe it's my inner Bern or something but I honestly think it's rather us being biased because we have too much love. The stories made us doubt the adults but kinda made us like the servants, didn't they?

With Genji it was almost always depicted to be his strong side how loyal he was, how he was an admirable person for how he stuck with the family despite all the odds.
The same with Kumasawa being a sweet, old lady, always with a wonderful story on her lips to make people forget the stress, hiding behind corners because she is weak but always feeling all the sadness of people suffering...even her creepy stories were mostly written off as her having fun.

We keep ourselves from even considering that these two might be bad people...and I think the authors within the story are often doing the same. Sayo was raised by those two and they might even be nice at times, but deep down they have serious dark sides.
Just look at Kumasawa in EP2 and how she is getting a major fix out of having that ghost story conversation with Jessica, about the legends and the unexpected visitor appearing (and her so obviously not talking about Battler).
Well, I can't really say I liked the servants but at first I didn't thought they were that bad. But then the more I learn about them and the more I think about them the more I'm disgusted. And ironically this applies more to Kumasawa, Genji and Nanjo than to Gohda who yes, in the beginning is not depicted in a favourable light but all considered he's not there claiming he cares about Shannon or Kanon or the Ushiromiya.

Kumasawa, Genji and Nanjo, who claims they care for Sayo, who's basically considered blindly trusted and that saw most of the family grow up... and that instead don't really care about the family not even in the limits of normal decency... well, that's pretty bad in my books.

Kumasawa will accept to be paid to play a 'prank' in which not only she madly scared people by letting them think there's a murderer around but also causes them quite a lot of grief by making them think their family is dead. That's not a prank, that's cruel. And I won't go how she cared about Sayo and Beatrice only the bare minimum necessary. Sayo saw it as a lot but that's only because she had nothing else.

Nanjo is even worse as he was bribed for much more serious things. Hiding Beatrice (which could be seen as betrayal for his country), hiding Kinzo's incest and possible rape of his daughter (I'm not sure if rape is technically the right word because I fear in the end she was manipulated into saying 'yes'... even if she wanted to say 'no' as Kinzo likely took advantage of her ignorance and obedience), hiding a child (which basically is kidnapping) and taking part to covering up a crime as he must know people are dead for real.
And I don't know if the plot for Forgery of Purple truth was planned by Ryukishi but if that's the case this mean for money he would have no problems killing everyone.

Genji is the top of the list. Basically he claimed to care for Kinzo and Sayo but used Sayo to protect Kinzo from himself and to please him in his final moments, condemned her to a rather unpleasant life and when she claimed she was suicidal he washed his hands clean of her problems as he didn't care about living any longer and, oh, too bad for everyone else but he's totally cool with her killing everyone.

*sigh* Gohda can be unpleasant with Shannon and Kanon because he feels superior to them but at least he doesn't claim affection for anyone in the family. He's there for a job, if he'll get better paid he'll accept to make another and I don't even think he thought of doing something illegal (though if that was a prank I would sue him for giving me psychological damage... two days believeing I've a serial killer going around and people dropping dead around me won't help me sleep well the night)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I always figured the reason Kumasawa couldn't get fired is because she essentially had blackmail dirt on Kinzo. Even if she never made any sort of direct threat on that, she kinda knows about his hidden lovechild and all. Kinzo and Genji would have to be pretty dumb (well, dumber than they apparently already are) to tick her off.
Yes, I fear so. And the same probably apply to Natsuhi and Krauss because she knows Kinzo is dead. So even if I think Natsuhi doesn't love her much she kept her. Interesting enough in Ep 1 Eva seemed to dislike her but it was never explained why.
However we see that Kumasawa seems to have the habit to spy or eavesdrop conversations. Maybe she was prone to blackmail the family members and Eva hated this? Though Rosa seems to have a nice relationship with her... or else is she trying to bribe her with tea? LOL actually in the tea box she gave Kumasawa there was lot of blackmailing money to shut Kumasawa's mouth on some secret about Rosa that the woman knew...
Old 2014-05-03, 04:36   Link #34410
haguruma

Sadly I haven't yet gotten my hands on part 1 of CotGW since 2000Yen is a little expensive for my taste (especially since it's only about 40 pages), but at least I have part 2 and 3 complete and will leave you with the translation of both chapters for now. We'll see what more I can do later

Spoiler for Confession of the Golden Witch (2):

For now only this chaper, because I have to go eat something and putting it in a proper format takes time. So see you later and have fun so far. Only 19 days left till the first chapter after Confession...let's hope it involves the Hachijos
Old 2014-05-03, 06:36   Link #34411
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

That's really excellent! Thanks so much for the translation, Haguruma.

I have to say that I'm pleased that there did turn out to be a freezer involved in Kinzo's corpse storage. Though it seems he was stored in his study and they also used preservatives. Good lord, how ghoulish it must have felt for all of those characters. Were they really having to go in and regularly clean a study with a dead preserved freezer body, and bring in Kinzo's meals to that room daily? They must all have been driven loopy. Maybe it was just Yasu who was left with the job.

And I can only wonder what the hell Yasu thought about all those skeletons being in the underground before she asked Genji how they got there. Not that she was pleased with the actual answer either.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 06:49   Link #34412
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

That's really amazing. The catbox lid is slipping back more and the guts are starting to emerge.

The really interesting angle is Sayo's self-loathing over the scope of the incestuous desires and repeating, in both her mind, and in a very real sense what Kinzo did by having a relationship with people who are her own...what? Cousins? Second cousins? Nephews/nieces?

This on top of the timing of finding the bodies of the soldiers (never expected that myself, but it better explains the relevance of the red scene in episode 7), and as we knew, dealing the new knowledge of her gender "flaw" and the conflicts of finding validation as her (his) birth gender from an unexpected source while trying "Kanon" out...on top of everything else.

And in comes Maria to help things move along to the Golden Land...

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 07:53   Link #34413
haguruma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
Maybe it was just Yasu who was left with the job.

And I can only wonder what the hell Yasu thought about all those skeletons being in the underground before she asked Genji how they got there. Not that she was pleased with the actual answer either.
Genji and his tactfulness again
In the first scene he's just like, "Oh yeah, I should tell Natsuhi we need a better freezer for her dead father-in-law, hope she has the money " and in the second it's like, "I just hoped you wouldn't bring it up...."
I mean, it's not like he was there for the death of the soldiers and I give him the benefit of the doubt that he would probably be willing to trust Kinzo when he says that he didn't kill them...but still, Genji is either the most loyal bag of stupid or the most scheming bastard in the whole story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
That's really amazing. The catbox lid is slipping back more and the guts are starting to emerge.
I generally like it how these chapters use many sequences and sentences from the games and reframe them in this new light, most of them becoming much darker. Like Beatrice's verbal attacks on Shannon from EP2, or how George kept on harping on about him knowing that Shannon and he were "connected by their souls even beyond death"....so many characters didn't even notice the hurtful things they said.

Saddest I found was how Sayo even admits that it is her fault for never standing up and becoming tangled in her own web of lies and stories, but that she is just too weak and scared to even attempt to untangle it now.

Now on to the current chapter:
Spoiler for Confession of the Golden Witch (3):

And yes, one of the panels when she explains how her magic makes everything possible also shows Shannon killing Nanjo in EP3
Old 2014-05-03, 08:35   Link #34414
Uberzaki

The manga is obviously a deception made by Ryukishi in order to allow the truly great detectives (such as myself) to obtain the even truer answer. I'll quote the red text:

Rosa [...] killed [...] other people.

See? It was obviously Rosa in the garden with the fountain pen! Just check the alternative theories online.

-----------------------------------

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Name Meanings and Origins
Uberzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 16:34   Link #34415
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
p.15
By switching the breaker I can easily pretend the phones were disabled
The means of communication and the electric system are all under my control
Interesting
So this means the means of communication with the outside were not actually broken.

With this, Kyrie's hurry in EP7 Tea Party to kill everybody, instead of waiting for the bomb to blow everyone, makes some more sense.
She was right to suspect this was the case with the radio/phone.

Spoiler:
Old 2014-05-03, 21:00   Link #34416
jjblue1

Quote:
Sadly I haven't yet gotten my hands on part 1 of CotGW since 2000Yen is a little expensive for my taste (especially since it's only about 40 pages), but at least I have part 2 and 3 complete and will leave you with the translation of both chapters for now. We'll see what more I can do later

For now only this chaper, because I have to go eat something and putting it in a proper format takes time. So see you later and have fun so far. Only 19 days left till the first chapter after Confession...let's hope it involves the Hachijos
I'm really thankful for your translations!

And the new bits make Sayo's condition even sadder.
Genji and the others order her around in the same harsh tone as before...
Not only this shows they weren't that kind with her... or at least not kind in a way she could get... but no one tried to support her or to cover up for her more... or if they did she didn't even perceived it...

And it's horrible how she has to keep everything inside... and everything starts to turn black...

And I suspected they were keeping Kinzo in his room although i was hoping I was wrong because still... keeping a decomposing body in the house... that's so disgusting... I've heard not only the smell is nauseating but it can get so strong it even permeated whoever will get too close... they didn't even had the decency to bury him or burn him...

*sigh* maybe I talk because I come from another culture but this is so... I've no words...

And then Natsuhi played the oh so righteous part when Eva and the others attacked her...

I'm disgusted.

And it's interesting how it's more like it's Jessica who consciously or unconsciously is pushing Shannon in George's arms than Shannon trying to get in them, labelling them as a couple even if they only went out what? Once? Twice?

But I wonder if Jessica understood Shannon liked someone but misunderstood who that person was... so when she believed Shannon was 'taking action' she thought Shannon was much more involved than what she really was.

Her situation is pitiful though. She wants to be loved but the only ones that show her affection are her relatives and so the happiness she feels at receiving love feels wrong because she blames it on Kinzo's genes...

Oh, and it's a nice touch that the tape Jessica handed to Kanon got mentioned. Kanon talked about it in Ep 6 but I don't remember it being mentioned previously so it felt a bit weird.

It's also good to hear confirmation about how part of her problem was that since she had never experienced being accepted for who she truly was she couldn't imagine a future for herself.

And picturing little Sayo who's so happy because Battler is coming back... in a way it seems that even if Shannon says her love for George is the strongest she still favour Battler over George. Little Sayo called him the one they love the most and denies that Shannon loves George the most and even Beato insists that Shannon was the happier when she heard of Battler's return.

And *sighs* she really ended up on trapping herself, although she probably couldn't see it at first. She must really hate her body.

And Genji really... you're the worst.

Uhm... I'm sort of surprised by how Kumasawa and Nanjo seems to have been willing to join in without even wanting money back. But I'm not sure what Nanjo means with 'the compassion she had for them'?

Still... apart from humouring her in this it doesn't seem like they supported her a lot... and agreeing to a mystery murder game like the ones Sayo planned is just... sort of sick. I mean didn't they realize the pain and the fear they would push on the other unwilling participants?

And somehow even if it had been all a game I don't think Natsuhi and Co would have forgiven them. And while for Kumasawa it might be okay to quit her work as she's old enough Nanjo might have troubles. So hum... it feels like there's something I'm missing. Or do they though the fact they were accomplices with Natsuhi and Krauss was insurance good enough there wouldn't be repercussions?

Well, at least we know that Nanjo thought of a game at first and that Shannon planned to trick him into making him believe she wasn't responsible for the murders... but it's still hard to believe they would keep on playing when the first twilight would turn out to be a real murder.

Expecially in Ep 1. It would be a good moment to insist on quitting instead than pretending that Shannon is also dead.

And have I already mentioned Genji is the worst?

Also interesting how this confirms the part of the tip over Gohda's past false.

LOL to Sayo blatantly telling Natsuhi isn't very smart and has no use as accomplice.

And hum... Rudolf and Kyrie as acting murderers? Scary... I wonder if they were really bribed in Prime and the plan went messed up as they didn't understand the game was called off...

It's nice to have the solution for so many tricks.

But also it's good to hear of her horror at following this route, to how she wanted to be stopped. Honestly I've my doubts she would have managed to go along with her plan even if she hadn't been stopped.

And, interesting enough it seems she really want to be stopped by Battler and smile in the end with Battler, not with George. But she really didn't understand that when seeing a gruesome murder for real he wouldn't go exactly into investigator mode... or maybe she did as in her tales he's not exactly depicted as such. Battler's investigations are really minimal... He's mostly obeying orders of not touching, not looking, not going around and so on...

... I'd like to know the difference between the messages Sayo sent and the episodes we read. Although it seems they had a lot written in them I've the feeling they didn't have all we read. But maybe it's just me.

Anyway, thanks again for your translations!
Old 2014-05-03, 22:59   Link #34417
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
... I'd like to know the difference between the messages Sayo sent and the episodes we read. Although it seems they had a lot written in them I've the feeling they didn't have all we read. But maybe it's just me.
I always had the impression the bottle stories were like Bern's 'purple truth game'.
Short, blunt and not much inner monologues like Battler has, that fills quite a lot of time. I mean, you can't stuff 300 pages in a bottle, can you?
Old 2014-05-03, 23:06   Link #34418
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

According to EP1's epilogue, the contents of the message bottle was just "one thin piece of notebook paper crammed with words". So it's probably just stuff like what's on the character sheet, like XXXX, sacrifice for first twilight, offered up as a key, blah blah
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 23:14   Link #34419
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Looking at the three rules mentioned, shouldn't the last one be "Rule Z"? Just trying to be sure here...

Quote:

Rule X: The accomplicee is different every time.
The adults are all in financial trouble.
It is easy to bribe them.

Rule Y: Lies agreed on by everyone can be depicted as actually happening.
In a locked room situation anything goes.
People who observe the golden butterflies are either accomplicees or dead.
Those who were not bribed can only see the golden butterflies in the timespace of 30 minutes before their death.
From that point onwards I began to write down plans for a crime as if I had gone mad.

(...)

Rule X: Please, somebody stop me!
Kinzo said, solving the epitaph equals a miracle
So if I were to entrust it to a bet on the magic of...miracles
The one to solve the epitaph would arrive at this room, switch off the bomb and survive
I want to gamble with this chance as well.
If by any chance my beloved someone would solve the epitaph and through it inherit the headship...

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 23:52   Link #34420
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
According to EP1's epilogue, the contents of the message bottle was just "one thin piece of notebook paper crammed with words". So it's probably just stuff like what's on the character sheet, like XXXX, sacrifice for first twilight, offered up as a key, blah blah
And if the tales Yasu wrote are really short, like just a few pages long, that could explain how Ange is not part of the story. There's enough time to produce tales without Ange, or rewrite the ones she already had