AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-06-09, 10:38   Link #41
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Madhouse does have money and project problems afaik, based on the stuff I hear from time to time. But it has been going on for years now, and it's not something entirely new. In general I feel that directors going freelance is a good thing, not a bad thing. Studios should keep internal animators and producers. Directors, character designers, and writers have very little reason to stay employed by a studio unless they have enough authority within the studio to never get any of their proposals turned down.

Creatively, it does not make sense to me that a director or writer who fails to pitch a project to a single studio should then have to give up. If they're employed by the studio, that's what will happen. They can only work on what the studio agrees to produce. But if they're freelance, if one studio turns them down, they can continue to shop the idea around to other studios and sponsors. It's a lot more fair, and doesn't feel like a slave trade.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 09:57   Link #42
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Madhouse does have money and project problems afaik, based on the stuff I hear from time to time. But it has been going on for years now, and it's not something entirely new. In general I feel that directors going freelance is a good thing, not a bad thing. Studios should keep internal animators and producers. Directors, character designers, and writers have very little reason to stay employed by a studio unless they have enough authority within the studio to never get any of their proposals turned down.

Creatively, it does not make sense to me that a director or writer who fails to pitch a project to a single studio should then have to give up. If they're employed by the studio, that's what will happen. They can only work on what the studio agrees to produce. But if they're freelance, if one studio turns them down, they can continue to shop the idea around to other studios and sponsors. It's a lot more fair, and doesn't feel like a slave trade.
I agree with you on that directors shouldn't really be tied down to one studio and that it helps distribute the talent across the industry. Like you mentioned, its a far fairer to have them try and land a suitable deal with any studio to try their idea, as it doesn't stop creativities (though there is the subject of budget and what not that will)

That being said, you do have directors like Shinbo who work in an animation studio and re-brand it so that they might as well have their name attached to the logo, which is why I'm not against the idea of people working exclusively for one company/studio. Working with the same group of people over a number of projects helps with better communication between each chain of the process, and generally helps give the whole team a clearer vision with where they are going. That and what you mentioned about how building enough trust will generally mean you can pitch any idea to get a series out of.

Going back to Tetsuro, the thing is, he had worked for Madhouse mainly on adaptations, and had one flop (Kurozuka) while managing to get some very popular shows (Death Note, High School of the Dead). As much as I consider him a So Bad he's Good director, there is no question that the man had made some financially successful shows, and the man has a good understanding for how to carry over the popularity of a show from the source to the screen, which is why if there was no case of a fall out between him and the studio that I think that Madhouse's financial problems has caused them to not be able to keep him any longer, which IMO might be the reason why he went freelance.

Going back to Guilty Crown, I think that considering the staff and what sort of shows the director had done, this will be a rather high budget much like Eden of the East had, but I doubt that the direction will be any where near that show (would that be a good or bad thing though?) It will be interesting to see how well he does when there is no base material to adapt from (I think this is his first full original series) and whether he can maintain a clear focus in the noitaminA limited episode format.

Still, I have to wonder why would they go with this show for a noitaminA anime, they might've tried to make it a full fledged new franchise instead.
Old 2011-06-10, 16:32   Link #43
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Hm, something tells me that this will be a 2-cour noitaminA series.

Also, I came to the realization that this show will probably have some heavy psychological and strategic battles, thus the reason the producers wanted the Death Note and Code Geass producers on it.
Old 2011-06-11, 02:47   Link #44
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I think this is from a mag, it doesn't look like fanart: http://i.imgur.com/LPfQA.jpg
Old 2011-06-11, 03:50   Link #45
shels

If i'm not mistaken it's from Animage: http://i.imgur.com/suuFu.jpg
shels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 04:15   Link #46
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Cool, thanks.
Old 2011-06-11, 05:54   Link #47
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

They look like RPG characters (which isn't a bad thing).
Old 2011-06-11, 06:43   Link #48
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Looking good, I have somewhat high expectations for this.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 13:38   Link #49
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Hm, something tells me that this will be a 2-cour noitaminA series.

Also, I came to the realization that this show will probably have some heavy psychological and strategic battles, thus the reason the producers wanted the Death Note and Code Geass producers on it.
Hm, yes it does appear so ...

And yeah, that seems to be the thing that landed him the job. That, or the sponsors were really impressed with the Laser pens.

The show does appear to make use of different sorts of battle styles (traditional mecha piloted combat, sword fights, guns fights, musical competitions, photography contests, Power of Friendship) so it looks like it's going be quite action packed with a whole lot of choreography and mix-n-match potential and a bit of room of nonsensical physics (or lack of)

Sounds pretty wild!
Quote:
I think this is from a mag, it doesn't look like fanart: http://i.imgur.com/LPfQA.jpg
Wheelchair got some nice curves.
Quote:
They look like RPG characters (which isn't a bad thing).
Wouldn't it be funny if this ends up being the more popular game looking anime over Persona TV?
The general feel of the team also looks very game based, almost Final Fantasy like.
Old 2011-06-11, 14:04   Link #50
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I'm just hope this title not looked so misplaced as noitaminA title like Fractale does.
Old 2011-06-11, 14:18   Link #51
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

This looks different from any other noitaminA title, so I'd say it'd "feel out of place" if you mean the genre. It needs to be 2-cour to work anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Hm, yes it does appear so ...

And yeah, that seems to be the thing that landed him the job. That, or the sponsors were really impressed with the Laser pens.

The show does appear to make use of different sorts of battle styles (traditional mecha piloted combat, sword fights, guns fights, musical competitions, photography contests, Power of Friendship) so it looks like it's going be quite action packed with a whole lot of choreography and mix-n-match potential and a bit of room of nonsensical physics (or lack of)
I don't think there will be battles like that. The mentions of cameras and musical instruments in the synopsis was just to give an example of what the power could do (pulling out objects that reflect a person's soul). I think the twist behind this is that Ouma will have to make friends on the battlefield in order to use the power only to have them die later; any "friends" he makes are expendable and are fooled by him into thinking he's their ally. This would keep in step with Geass and Death Note.

That said, it could just end up being some heartwarming "power of friendship" shit, but I think it will be closer to the former given who is working on this. It also makes the title "Guilty Crown" sound appropriate.

Last edited by Suzuku; 2011-06-11 at 14:29.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 15:28   Link #52
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
I don't think there will be battles like that. The mentions of cameras and musical instruments in the synopsis was just to give an example of what the power could do (pulling out objects that reflect a person's soul).
And a sword. There is also Wheelchair being in a plug suit and is going to be piloting something, and some of the main player party are equipped with a rather big gun.

Still, maybe it more of pulling objects that reflect the persons bond with his friend?
Quote:
I think the twist behind this is that Ouma will have to make friends on the battlefield in order to use the power only to have them die later; any "friends" he makes are expendable and are fooled by him into thinking he's their ally. This would keep in step with Geass and Death Note.
That would be an interesting twist, and certainly does seem likely, considering the director and what sort of changes he makes.
Quote:
That said, it could just end up being some heartwarming "power of friendship" shit, but I think it will be closer to the former given who is working on this.
well, why can't it be both? Nothing is stopping the story from being inconsistent!

But seriously though, I agree with you that it will probably not going to be straight ''Power of Friendship conquers all'' deal. Still pretty fun to make fun of it.
Quote:
It also makes the title "Guilty Crown" sound appropriate.
That actually does make a lot sense. Never thought of the title like that.
Old 2011-06-11, 17:22   Link #53
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I was a bit puzzled when I saw that Bones and IG were going to be doing the summer and fall noitaminA shows and seeing that this is a mech show isn't helping my confusion. But the character designs look pretty cool (although I agree with whoever said that there need to be more geezers in the resistance, especially if they've been under martial law for 10 years) so I'm game!
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 21:02   Link #54
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

The wheelchair chicks clothes look a lot life EVA suits. I'm really curious how they will make the designs work in the anime. Cause that artwork isn't something you'd see in anime. Imo the coloring makes the designers work unique.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-12, 06:01   Link #55
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
This looks different from any other noitaminA title, so I'd say it'd "feel out of place" if you mean the genre. It needs to be 2-cour to work anyway.
Last year I would agree, but this year we've had stuff like Fractale and [C], both of which are far from noitaminA's usual style and demographic, and much more otaku-centric in both storytelling and in designs. Guilty Crown seems like a continuation of this trend, where noitaminA attempts to pander to more otakus. Definitely a misguided attempt, but noitaminA has been watered down ever since they expanded it to a 2 show slot anyway. The producer is probably scrambling to try and find whatever ways he can to retain popularity for the slot before he gets fired.
Old 2011-06-13, 17:38   Link #56
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

It's a shame, but then again the sponsors of the slot weren't simply content with getting excellent ratings and started to want sales as well, which ended up giving us Eden of the East which, while certainly making a happy marriage between the two tastes, ended up opening the door for all these other series to come in when they shouldn't be on the slot.

The problem isn't just limited to that, but also to the expansion of the slot (basically divide the viewership) and then there is also the striking differences in the programs from one show to the next. This is the sort of thing that killed Noise and Anime no Chikara, people who liked the previous show didn't tune in to the next one, and had no idea if the one after that would be the same or not. noitaminA is falling to the same trap here as well, but then again since its more or less about popularity now it doesn't really matter. It's a shame though ...

Oh well, at least this show will be interesting to watch, even if it's not noitaminA usual (previous) fair, and Hotwheels looks hot, the synopses sounds fun, and the staff will surly make it a very wild ride.
Old 2011-06-13, 18:30   Link #57
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shels View Post
If i'm not mistaken it's from Animage: http://i.imgur.com/suuFu.jpg
redjuice art into anime. My dream just came true
http://oreno.imouto.org/post/show/18...-shinomiya_aya
Old 2011-06-19, 05:54   Link #58
Fiemma
Fiamma

New pic
Spoiler for Redjuice-Guity Crown:
Old 2011-06-19, 21:05   Link #59
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
but noitaminA has been watered down ever since they expanded it to a 2 show slot anyway.

Seems to me that's just because the 2nd slot is being used to produce those "otaku pandering" shows while you still have one slot left for your more "usual" NoitaminA shows like Wandering Son,Usagi Drop etc.
Old 2011-07-04, 12:19   Link #60
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiemma View Post
New pic
Spoiler for Redjuice-Guity Crown:
Full pic http://oreno.imouto.org/post/show/18...crown-redjuice

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig