Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-15, 12:45   Link #28361
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hashimoto's comments on "comfort women" occasioned a virulent response in the opinion section of this morning's New York Times: http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...comfort-women/

The author, Editorial Board member Carol Giacomo, concludes, "It’s hard to believe that anyone who espouses such outrageous views as Mr. Hashimoto has much of a political future in Japan or anywhere else."

I'm a bit surprised that someone who spent much of her career as a diplomatic correspondent for Reuters would make such a broad claim about politics in a country half the globe away.
It seems necessary to re-post aohige's earlier messages:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
He was replying to a conversation about prostitution in Okinawa. He's in favor for it, saying and bringing up "comfort women" as an example of soldiers needing prostitution.

I mean, what he said was no doubt idiotic, but I think it's getting taken out of context.

Also, you do realize this is the same man who said Japan should just give Takeshima/Dokudo to South Korea, since it's not worth fighting over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
While you are correct, it doesn't change the fact it's taken out of context.
He believes it was nothing more than prostitution, therefore he's justifying having prostitution in Okinawa.
The gaffe has apparently been taken out of context. This does not make the comment any less reprehensible, but it does at least make it easier to understand where he is coming from and what he was actually trying to say.
Old 2013-05-15, 12:59   Link #28362
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well done. Slap the hawks.

TAIPEI-MANILA ROW: Hau urges public not to blame Filipinos for shooting

Midnight deadline passes, MOFA says more ‘clarity’ needed from Manila

Death on the High Seas: US refuses to condemn shooting of fisherman

Quote:

The US has refused to condemn the shooting death of a Taiwanese fisherman by the Philippine Coast Guard.

Asked directly during the US Department of State’s daily press briefing if the US condemned “this brutal attack,” acting deputy spokesman Patrick Ventrell would not.

“The United States is aware of the incident between a Philippine law enforcement vessel and one or more Taiwan fishing boats that resulted in the death of one Taiwan fisherman,” he said. “We welcome the Philippine government’s pledge to conduct a full and transparent investigation into the incident and to work with the Taiwan authorities to establish what transpired.

He said that Washington urged all parties to ensure maritime safety and to refrain from actions that could escalate tensions in the region and undermine the prospects for a diplomatic or other peaceful resolution of differences.

A journalist then pressed Ventrell, asking: “So, you’re not condemning the Filipino government for this attack?”

Ventrell replied: “Well, we said that they’re going to conduct an investigation, and what we want is a full and transparent investigation into the specifics of the incident.

The acting deputy spokesman was asked if the Philippines should apologize.

Well, again, let’s see what the investigation says before we make a further judgement,” Ventrell said.

Asked if the incident had occurred in Philippine waters or in disputed waters, Ventrell said that he was “not aware” where the incident actually occurred.

I don’t know if we have a definitive understanding — this is, again, one of the things we hope that the investigation can clarify,” he said.

Ventrell said that he was “not aware” that either Taiwan or the Philippines had been in contact with the US about the shooting.

“We maintain contact with both parties,” he said.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-15, 13:10   Link #28363
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
And what would Taiwan get from it?

Lolis love pandas.
Old 2013-05-15, 13:17   Link #28364
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
ZALESKI, Ohio - A 91-year-old decorated World War II combat veteran is about to be evicted from a home he and his wife built and lived in for the last 54 years.
The elderly man's lawyer said John Potter's daughter and son-in-law used a power of attorney to sign Potter's home into their name, and a court ruled in their favor.
Fifty four years ago, John and Evelyn Potter built a Vinton County home together in the small village of Zaleski.
Potter said he has lived in the village all his 91 years, except for the years he served his country including a fierce battle against the Japanese on Attu in the Aleutian Islands. Now, after almost a century of struggling to make a life in Ohio, he said he is about to be forced out of his home.
"I laid awake at night trying to figure out what in the world I could have done to these people to make them so angry at me," said Potter.
He said the people he is referring to are his daughter and son-in-law, who he thought were looking out for him.
"In 2004, she signed his house, deeded his house to herself by power-of-attorney which in the state of Ohio is illegal," said Potter's granddaughter Jaclyn Fraley.
She took over as Potter's power of attorney in 2010 after she and her grandfather became aware of the deed transfer.
Shortly after the discovery, Fraley and her grandfather petitioned a Vinton County Court to get his home back. That court ruled in his favor, but his daughter appealed that ruling and the appeals court ruled that she legally owned the home.
http://www.nbc4i.com/story/22027812/...ter-son-in-law

isn't this a open and shut case of elder abuse? doesn't Ohio have elder abuse laws?
Old 2013-05-15, 13:39   Link #28365
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
isn't this a open and shut case of elder abuse? doesn't Ohio have elder abuse laws?
How did the deed transfer even occur? I am no property or real estate agent, but I do know that deed transfers usually must be done in view of the holder, the transferee, a licensed agent and a neutral witness, usually someone who is legally qualified.

How does it work in the US?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-15, 13:40   Link #28366
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
How did the deed transfer even occur? I am no property or real estate agent, but I do know that deed transfers usually must be done in view of the holder, the transferee, a licensed agent and a neutral witness, usually someone who is legally qualified.

How does it work in the US?
not in the US and the 'daughter" had power of attorney.
Old 2013-05-15, 13:42   Link #28367
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not in the US and the 'daughter" had power of attorney.
Meaning which the daughter is a lawyer?

If so, doesn't it mean conflict of interest?

Old 2013-05-15, 13:45   Link #28368
Sumeragi
Banned

Unless there was explicit acknowledgement from the principal that he wanted to trasfer the deed, this would be a case of conflicts of interests.

Quote:
No, it means she had a written authorization to represent or act on another's behalf in private affairs, business, or some other legal matter.
Old 2013-05-15, 13:49   Link #28369
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
This is an abnormal kid. Let's put him in the Singaporean education system and watch him become normalised. This is why we have a great education system; to make abnormal students normal. [/sarcasm]
To be fair, I'm not sure he'd do much better in the average American school where anything before 8th grade is little more than daycare.
Old 2013-05-15, 13:54   Link #28370
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The US has refused to condemn the shooting death of a Taiwanese fisherman by the Philippine Coast Guard.
Of course it did. What interest does the US have in getting involved in this dispute? Ventrell's answer seemed the only appropriate one for a third-party: "we await the resolution of this issue between the parties involved."

The reporter asking the question looks like she might be from Taiwan. (Video at about 31:00) It looked to me like these questions were designed to fuel the media fires back home as the report Saintess posted above shows.

This interchange reminds me of the constant pestering of US State Department officials by mainland Chinese reporters over ownership of the Senkakus, especially the US Government's use of that term to refer to the islands.

Believe me, in the wake of this past week with a scad of controversies over American politics, few people in this country are paying any attention to this dispute. Moreover I think I can safely say that most Americans have no interest in taking side here either, which seemed the entire purpose of those questions.
Old 2013-05-15, 13:58   Link #28371
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We had to do something like this for my Grandmother because she could not afford to live in her house anymore with assisted living. It was just way to expensive. We figured she would be flat broke in less than two years. So we moved her up to our area and put her in a place that will take care of her needs (cheaper than assisted living) and sold her house. Used that money to both pay for her expenses for the next several years and purchase a cheaper house in another state to keep the taxes down. While she didn't want to leave her house, she does realize tha she could not afford to live there anymore.

We still have most of her stuff (the other reason for the other house).

Also she's now much closer to us. Instead of driving nealy 400 miles to see her, we can drive 2 miles to see her much more often than we use to.

She is 96 years old.
Old 2013-05-15, 14:10   Link #28372
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:

If so, doesn't it mean conflict of interest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Unless there was explicit acknowledgement from the principal that he wanted to trasfer the deed, this would be a case of conflicts of interests.

No, it means she had a written authorization to represent or act on another's behalf in private affairs, business, or some other legal matter.
The article clearly reads that what she did was illegal but the statute of limitations had passed on it, therefore it could not be overturned.
Old 2013-05-15, 14:22   Link #28373
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
We had to do something like this for my Grandmother because she could not afford to live in her house anymore with assisted living. It was just way to expensive. We figured she would be flat broke in less than two years. So we moved her up to our area and put her in a place that will take care of her needs (cheaper than assisted living) and sold her house. Used that money to both pay for her expenses for the next several years and purchase a cheaper house in another state to keep the taxes down. While she didn't want to leave her house, she does realize tha she could not afford to live there anymore.

We still have most of her stuff (the other reason for the other house).

Also she's now much closer to us. Instead of driving nealy 400 miles to see her, we can drive 2 miles to see her much more often than we use to.

She is 96 years old.
Difference is, you all did that for her own good. This is a case where they literally stole the house. They aren't selling it in an effort to help him. In fact, it seems the granddaughter is trying to raise money to buy it back just so her grandfather can live out the rest of his life there, even though it means the monster daughter gets money off of it.

Also, I thought statute of limitations didn't apply for appeals?
Old 2013-05-15, 18:16   Link #28374
Badkarma 1

If its illegal in the first place, how the hell did it or was it allowed to happen?!
Also if the granddaughter now has Power of Attorney and the grandfather still has all his faculties, they should be allowed to either overturn the ruling or at least sue the daughter for what happened.
Would a will cancel out the ruling?
Old 2013-05-15, 18:23   Link #28375
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkarma 1 View Post
If its illegal in the first place, how the hell did it or was it allowed to happen?!
my guess? the mother didn't use a lawyer and probably use the legal software to filled out the form to do the transfer. then got it notarize and submit to the country recorders office. As long as the paperwork look good i doubt anyone would raise a flag.
Old 2013-05-16, 12:48   Link #28376
sikvod00

Nintendo Enforces Copyright on Youtube Let's Plays

Quote:
Nintendo has started claiming ad revenue on user-created Youtube videos featuring its games, according to reports from Youtube users.

Nintendo does not want to block videos containing content that it owns from appearing on Youtube (as many film and music publishers have), but it wants to place ads at the beginning and the end of videos featuring Nintendo games, such as Let's Plays, with that revenue going to Nintendo as opposed to the creator of the video.

Prolific Youtube channel owner Zack Scott has posted on Facebook about the demands. "I think filing claims against LPers is backwards," he writes. "Video games aren't like movies or TV. Each play-through is a unique audiovisual experience. When I see a film that someone else is also watching, I don't need to see it again. When I see a game that someone else is playing, I want to play that game for myself! Sure, there may be some people who watch games rather than play them, but are those people even gamers?"

Nintendo has issued the following statement to GameFront on the matter: "As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a Youtube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the Youtube database.
Old 2013-05-16, 13:23   Link #28377
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
i am guessing the U has been a sales flop.
Old 2013-05-16, 13:40   Link #28378
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Didn't Sega take a beating for doing something like that?
Old 2013-05-16, 13:55   Link #28379
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Insight: Mid-sized Italian banks face big bang for want of bucks
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94F0AU20130516

Soldier who killed fellow U.S. troops in Iraq gets life sentence
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94F0G620130516
Old 2013-05-16, 14:17   Link #28380
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Insight: Mid-sized Italian banks face big bang for want of bucks
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94F0AU20130516
one source of revenue would be to crack down on the mob and size all their assets.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international