AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 14 25.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 30.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 36.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-24, 20:02   Link #61
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
This is what pissed me off about saki this episode! her father was sticking his neck out for her
It also reminded me a little bit of when he told her about "rebelling in secret" in the flashback of episode 2: Being outwardly obedient, even though you hold a differing opinion in your heart. At the time he was talking about the queerats, but I wouldn't by surprised if her father's feelings run more towards Saki's. He just recognizes the folly of disobedience better than she does.
Old 2012-11-24, 20:05   Link #62
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Saki's father impressed me in this episode. He did indeed stick his neck out for her, and shot straight with her when he knew that it would be wrong to try to keep her in the dark.

That being said... Saki is a teenage girl. Who do you think means more to your average teenage girl in the heat of the moment: Their father, or the guy that they're madly in love with?

So I'm willing to cut Saki some slack here. She blew up a bit at her parents not out of any disrespect or lack of love for them, but out of deep, passionate concern for Shun.

I'm not, I mean sure if a regular teenage girl didnt go through all the crap that saki had I would understand, but saki should KNOW better, she should know that she's putting herself, her family, and her friends in a LOT of danger, hell even Satoru knew to not keep searching for shun at night and he was tryign to get the group to search for shun in the first place. It just annoys me a lot. . .when characters do stupid stuff like that I start rooting for them to get killed be being retarded. she probably has mc/narrator plot armor though, so her freinds/family will probably be killed or something. . .I'm pretty sure some people are going to get caught/killed...I just wish it was going to be saki. . .but since when has the narrator of a story been offed 1/4th of the way through lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
It also reminded me a little bit of when he told her about "rebelling in secret" in the flashback of episode 2: Being outwardly obedient, even though you hold a differing opinion in your heart. At the time he was talking about the queerats, but I wouldn't by surprised if her father's feelings run more towards Saki's. He just recognizes the folly of disobedience better than she does.
ooooh nice find, I wanna go back a look at that ep again. Good Guy Father right there.

(sry didnt mean to double post)
Old 2012-11-24, 20:11   Link #63
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Before that...

Quote:
Very well-done. Good writing!
Thank you.

Quote:
Well... during the Saki/Maria love scene of Episode 8, I never got the impression that Saki was just "going through the motions", so to speak. And there was one scene where Saki made the first move for a kiss, not Maria. So I think that Saki finds it... pleasant. Your "comfortable" probably describes it just as well though.
Glad you opened that one up.

What happened before that? She sees Subaru. If Subaru is here then... *Puts a happy face. She sees Shun lying on the grass. She smiles and attempted to approached him but woah! Satoru is there! They kiss but Shun sees her. And she runs away.. (achy heart, noh?)

She gets to Maria. Maria misunderstood that and thought that Saki wants to flirt. Saki and Maria kiss but Shun again appears in her mind. She hugs Maria.

Obviously... the italics has meanings.....
Old 2012-11-24, 20:26   Link #64
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I'm not, I mean sure if a regular teenage girl didnt go through all the crap that saki had I would understand, but saki should KNOW better, she should know that she's putting herself, her family, and her friends in a LOT of danger,
Oh, I get your point here. Saki is clearly putting herself in serious danger. Yeah, her actions are highly questionable from a logical perspective. But Saki isn't being driven by logic. She's being driven by love (and, perhaps to some degree, justice). And I can't help but feel sympathetic towards someone fighting for love and justice.
Old 2012-11-24, 20:27   Link #65
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Many mental diseases have genetic causes. And again, the fact that he was so interested about the subject since he was a kid leads me believe he already suspected that it was that sort of disease and that he was at risk of being afflicted with it.
That's quite possible, and it would explain what gave Shun the initial impetus to pay attention.

But it being genetic has other implications: surely, the authorities would have watched Shun closer than the others? Or, if they knew early enough, they might have forbidden the parents to have children? Let's wait and see.
Old 2012-11-24, 20:49   Link #66
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Oh, I get your point here. Saki is clearly putting herself in serious danger. Yeah, her actions are highly questionable from a logical perspective. But Saki isn't being driven by logic. She's being driven by love

ahh I can get behind that, It would explain her acting like that.

Justice though. . .lol well she'd have to have a lot of PK power to enforce any kind of justice lol
Old 2012-11-24, 21:05   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
[Saki] blew up a bit at her parents not out of any disrespect or lack of love for them, but out of deep, passionate concern for Shun.
I will reiterate my earlier point that Saki has also learned that her parents and more or less every other adult in the world has been lying to her about many things since she was born. I would imagine that might affect how much respect she has for her parents at the moment.
Old 2012-11-24, 21:13   Link #68
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
But it being genetic has other implications: surely, the authorities would have watched Shun closer than the others? Or, if they knew early enough, they might have forbidden the parents to have children?
That's a good point. Let's wait and see.
Old 2012-11-24, 21:14   Link #69
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I will reiterate my earlier point that Saki has also learned that her parents and more or less every other adult in the world has been lying to her about many things since she was born. I would imagine that might affect how much respect she has for her parents at the moment.
I don't buy that part, maybe the adults sure (but that's more shuns thing) but her parents?? I don't think she'd be that cold and heartless being that she's SEEN the pain her parents have gone through (the show keeps stuffing that down our throats from the point of view of Saki's constant flashbacks) and all that crap she's gone through with the goblins and the info dumping slug thing, AND the realization of the society that shes living in, the disappearing children from breaking the rules etc etc..(Ive said all this already...). besides, even in anger, she'd have more brains to realize that she/her friends/family can be killed because of her.

It makes more sense that she is blinded by love for shun. . .a love so blinding it blinds her from common freaking sense.
Old 2012-11-24, 22:11   Link #70
deadsea

Hashimoto-Appelbaun obviously must be related to a number of factors like stress,social environment ,some pathology or possibly a genetic predisposition, the way of presenting it as "karma demon" and the "tale" told in chapter 2 is the way to bring this behavior to society in SSY , which is obviously highly Buddhist, they follow the rules and don´t have access to all information.
Old 2012-11-25, 00:50   Link #71
Unknown Soldier
:D

Oh God that cliffhanger. I'm glad I didn't catch up with the episode until just today, the wait until next episode is that much shorter!
Old 2012-11-25, 00:55   Link #72
U. N. Owen
Realistic Idealist

Quote:
Oh, I get your point here. Saki is clearly putting herself in serious danger. Yeah, her actions are highly questionable from a logical perspective. But Saki isn't being driven by logic. She's being driven by love (and, perhaps to some degree, justice). And I can't help but feel sympathetic towards someone fighting for love and justice.
Nice as that sounds, your gonna need a bit more than love when potentially going up against someone who supposedly has the power to split the Earth in two.
Old 2012-11-25, 01:21   Link #73
Ruby Princess

With the power of love, one can split the Earth in three. <3
Old 2012-11-25, 01:44   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by U. N. Owen View Post
Nice as that sounds, your gonna need a bit more than love when potentially going up against someone who supposedly has the power to split the Earth in two.
PK-Superman is a big part of the reason why I have a hard time imagining a Saki-led revolt working. The sheer power arrayed against her in such an eventuality is probably just too much.

But in the moment, Saki just wants to save Shun.

Who knows? Maybe Shun really has "snapped" a bit (think of how Satoru went megalomaniacal for a while there backing during the Queerat War arc), and is a "Karma Demon" in that sense. "Karma Demon" might simply mean a PK-Kid who has gone all Anakin Skywalker.

If Saki can somehow bring Shun back from the brink of darkness, maybe the village will forgive them both? Wishful thinking, I know, but maybe this is what Saki is thinking/hoping on.

Personally, I don't think that "Karma Demons" are entirely genetic, but nor do I think they're 'magical'. Rather, I think they represent PKers who became drunk on power, like a certain Emperor Delight we became acquainted with several episodes back. Shun is exceptionally powerful, but that might just mean he's uniquely vulnerable to this sort of potential corruption.

I think there's some nice, solid hints given throughout this narrative that being a PKer can cause great psychological strain, and if you don't master excellent self-control/self-restraint, you can turn into a monstrous being (which would go a long way to explaining why this society is so utterly ruthless in eliminating problematic kids).

The first PKer was a serial rapist/killer. Then we have those insanely destructive emperors. Then we have the stories of the "Karma Demons". Personally, I think that these are all pointing to the same thing - They're pointing to how PKers can easily go "to the dark side" in a very scary way.
Old 2012-11-25, 02:21   Link #75
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
With the power of love, one can split the Earth in three. <3
Romeo and Juliet are shaking their fists at you from heaven
Old 2012-11-25, 04:08   Link #76
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I would think it highly fitting if ill, demonic Shun somehow came back and shredded the teaching staff apart into bloody chunks.....

Of course that won't happen. Because he would have more control than that *haiz*

Quote:
This is what pissed me off about saki this episode! her father was sticking his neck out for her, and all she could do was disrepect her parents like that, I mean FFS all the crap she went thorugh with the info dumping slug arc, the "disappearing" kids, her motthers' anguish, and all she can think about is rushing to find shun??? wtf, does she think she can take on all the top cantus users or something? does she think she's gonna take on the goblin army, the whatever cats, and the deadly lions and shit??? It's like she just wants to rush in and get killed, and her parents as well since her father put his neck out there for her (If I were him I wouldnt have said anything, and not fuel the fire.) shes supposed to be clever and shit so why does she act like the stupid red shirt character in a horror movie?!? grrr! and that whol she's 14 thing is not a good excuse, especially since women develop mentally faster than boys do, so really she should know better
Yeah, she wasn't thinking straight, but then again, any course of action at all would have led to possibly the same outcome anyway.

She was being watched. Her father cannot do anything; it's only a matter of time before she and her group were hunted down and summarily executed or something.

As for taking on the higher ups....No one she can gather or is on her side would be able to take them on in battle anyway. And at that point the only plausible faction who might aid her is Kiroumaru and his Giant Hornets. Approaching them is just foolish IMO given their unknown allegiance
Old 2012-11-25, 04:35   Link #77
momonae

Quote:
I don't buy that part, maybe the adults sure (but that's more shuns thing) but her parents?? I don't think she'd be that cold and heartless being that she's SEEN the pain her parents have gone through (the show keeps stuffing that down our throats from the point of view of Saki's constant flashbacks) and all that crap she's gone through with the goblins and the info dumping slug thing, AND the realization of the society that shes living in, the disappearing children from breaking the rules etc etc..(Ive said all this already...). besides, even in anger, she'd have more brains to realize that she/her friends/family can be killed because of her.
The children are not disappering just because they simply broke the rules. I think the minoshiro library rather clearly explained how their society is created and what is it mostly based on. And Shun said that their society's entire system looks as if it's only objective is to prevent from akki and gouma. I think these things point to what exact kind of people are in danger of elmination already.
Old 2012-11-25, 05:20   Link #78
BIby47
Banned

If Shun's going to die next episode, then that makes him the Mami of this series isn't it?

Also, Grrrrrrrrrr... stupid Saki!

She should have called Satoru to come with her. If Shun's really going to die then he'll never get to say goodbye to him
Old 2012-11-25, 07:21   Link #79
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
jesus , are you using spoils from the mangas and novels ?

Anyway i was thinking shun disappeared because they broke the rules...

Damned
Old 2012-11-25, 11:18   Link #80
SagaraSouske

I seriously doubt Shun is going to die next episode. He likely represents a significant catalyst that will bring about changes in the current society.