AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-09, 18:18   Link #1261
Kazu-kun

original version of Hai-iro no Suiyoubi, the insert song at the end of this episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIhGHXagzRY
Old 2011-09-09, 19:43   Link #1262
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
i still don't fully know the story of Night on the Galactic Railroad, but was planning to watch the movie, if you have watched it before, do you think it's done well enouth or it's better the novel?
Sorry to jump in!

The movie version is VERY good. I expect the book is better but at least if you are in the US it's hard to find a good translation.
Apparently the only one that is still in print changes the names of the characters and I refuse to read that.

But the film adaption is interesting in its own right and definitely worth a watch. From what I understand it follows the story very closely, where it differs is interpretation of some scenes that might not be straightforward (and there is one addition that I think is a good one).

Oh and in the animated movie the characters are drawn as cats which is not the case in the original story. But I think it DOES work for the type of story being told. It almost makes it seem simple but there is something deep/complex underneath. It reminds me of The Little Prince in a way.
Old 2011-09-09, 21:00   Link #1263
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Doesn't Himari address him as 'God' in that CM?
Himari's said things in the CMs that should be attributed to others. Especially the things she says in the CMs where she uses the "boku" pronoun, she doesn't use that pronoun.
Old 2011-09-09, 21:13   Link #1264
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
my first thought was that she got bullied out of the school, but it makes no sense. Not only is the whole school watching, but her two best friends are looking at her angrily (!?)
You'd think, if she had been bullied or sick, her parents would've picked her up, but she was alone.

So I, too, thought it might have to do with the attacks as something big must've happened, and the parents might be guilty of something- something that everyone knows, and which caused them to hate on Himari like that anyway.
It can't really be that they died in the attacks, or were otherwise victimized, that doesn't explain the negative attention she's getting... :/
Actually, this thought makes sense if you consider the following:

What if Mom and Dad were believed to be part of the organization behind the gassing? She might then be kicked out of school for her own safety - her parents not coming because they are on the lam. Explains why they are gone, and why the brothers hid the picture so Ringo wouldn't realize they were related to those outlaws. However the organization stays in touch with the one brother to keep him payed off to keep from spilling the beans about what he knows about them. Oh, and it turns out that organization represents one of the two Penguin "Firms" that are fighting with each other to determine which one will win over the Queen?

Take it from there, folks.
Old 2011-09-09, 22:27   Link #1265
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

But the story is set in 2011 and Himari left school two years ago, heck, if she and Ringo are about the same age she was either born in 1995 or even later. I do wonder if their missing parents have anything to do with the Kiba penguin group (since we see their dad wearing a jacket with that symbol on the back) and I've seen other people speculate that part of what is going on in the background is a fight between Pingroup (the ones who sent the penguins to the kids) and Kiba, no idea where the third penguin group (the one with the emperor penguin symbol) would fit in though.
Old 2011-09-09, 23:21   Link #1266
Kazu-kun

Here's an interesting theory by nyonyo:

Quote:
Three main families in the series now: Takakura, Oginome, Natsume.

All three are intertwined: Oginome-mama knows at least one of the Takakura parents, Ringo is involved with the Takakura siblings, Masako is targeting Kanba for some reason.

The Oginomes had Momoka, a daughter who died (we don't know how), and she kept a diary functioning as a prophecy of her future that never happened, which mentioned Project M (Maternity). Masako is also working on a Project M (unknown if it's the same Project M as Momoka's), and now appears to have a penguin-hatted younger brother named Mario (yet another M - so Masako's could be Project Mario?). The Takakuras have the penguin-hatted dead Himari.

That's too many dead kids for coincidence.

There are also two hats that we know of: Himari's (yellow train) and Mario's (blue train, with the crown).

Theory:
This may be toooootally out there but if Project M really is Project Maternity... I'm wondering if this is some creepy plot by the corporations to change fate by having the penguin-hatted dead give birth to children of their own, as a ploy to change timelines/destiny irrevocably or something. Boy-and-girl penguin hats, Himari as the "Destiny Bride"...
Old 2011-09-09, 23:28   Link #1267
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Oh god I thought I was watching a Shaft series for a minute there.
Old 2011-09-09, 23:59   Link #1268
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Sorry to jump in!

The movie version is VERY good. I expect the book is better but at least if you are in the US it's hard to find a good translation.
Apparently the only one that is still in print changes the names of the characters and I refuse to read that.

But the film adaption is interesting in its own right and definitely worth a watch. From what I understand it follows the story very closely, where it differs is interpretation of some scenes that might not be straightforward (and there is one addition that I think is a good one).

Oh and in the animated movie the characters are drawn as cats which is not the case in the original story. But I think it DOES work for the type of story being told. It almost makes it seem simple but there is something deep/complex underneath. It reminds me of The Little Prince in a way.
http://grex.org/~n8rxs/main.htm
Good enough translation for a free book available online. I think the copyright expired already so it should be legal too.
Old 2011-09-10, 04:57   Link #1269
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
http://grex.org/~n8rxs/main.htm
Good enough translation for a free book available online. I think the copyright expired already so it should be legal too.
Ah thanks, I honestly didn't even think to look online.
Old 2011-09-10, 06:09   Link #1270
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Actually, this thought makes sense if you consider the following:

What if Mom and Dad were believed to be part of the organization behind the gassing? She might then be kicked out of school for her own safety - her parents not coming because they are on the lam. Explains why they are gone, and why the brothers hid the picture so Ringo wouldn't realize they were related to those outlaws. However the organization stays in touch with the one brother to keep him payed off to keep from spilling the beans about what he knows about them. Oh, and it turns out that organization represents one of the two Penguin "Firms" that are fighting with each other to determine which one will win over the Queen?

Take it from there, folks.
After what SkullFaerie mentioned, I followed the same train of thought but can't go further. The two organizations (if that's really what they are) remain too mysterious to see what their goal(s) is/are. Also, this is forgetting the other main "company" : Kiga.

Let's try with a short visual analysis of the 3 groups :
Pingroup.inc :
Penguin Force:
Kiga :

In the opening
-Kanba, Shou and Himari are first running over (symbolized?) by Pingroup Inc. sign, before this one flip to Kiga's sign.
-Penguin Force is shown taking over Kiga in the last Op shot, with at the center the 95 gas attack :

Allegiance (?)
-Queen of the Crystal on Penguin Force side :
-Ringo on Pingroup.inc side :
-Natsume, Kenzan and brothers on Kiga side :

Now, why is Natsume attacking Kanba and why would she posses a black penguin is they are in the same team? Double-agent maybe?
Edit: At this point, Shouma at least is following the Queen of the Crystal orders, which make him an alley of Penguin Force. If same applies to Kanba, that would explain Natsume's attacks.
Can't draw any conclusion from sorting forces in presence in the serie like that, but if something comes to mind to anyone I'd be glad to read it.

Last edited by Nina.Wolken; 2011-09-10 at 06:40.
Old 2011-09-10, 06:42   Link #1271
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Put me in the camp that doesn't think the two friends are made-up symbols for her brothers. Granted, we've only seen the pop stars in cartoon form...in every single episode, but that's enough for me to think they're real.
We have seen them on tv and in magazines too. I honestly don't see any reason to think that they are not real. Sometimes people dig too much for symbolism.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2011-09-10, 08:21   Link #1272
Sol Falling

This Shaft-y episode was the best. Really enjoyed it; I haven't seen a good surreal/dreamlike episode for a very long time. Mawaru Penguindrum is stepping up its game--and the ED started to actually make so much sense this time.

Himari's tone and expressions this time were deeply fascinating. Now that we've seen her real faces, what does she desire? That's the principal question I have taken away from this episode.

I'm not fond of the tone of dismissal this episode has stirred up towards Ringo though, so I will simply say: she will be made into a sympathetic character, and the focus will certainly return to her. Don't get too excited with the "Penguindrum is good again!!1!" if you aren't comfortable with that.

Speculation-wise, I want to say that all the references and connections people have picked up are surely very interesting. However: I don't believe Double-H are not real people. I also do not believe Double-H will enter into the story. The references particularly are quite enlightening (for example, that the "seven social sins" are from Ghandi, etc) but I don't believe they are integral to the story. From episode 9, I accept that the fated groom is probably the boy with the penguin hat, and also conclude that Sanetoshi (and thus "Fate", the penguin hats, etc.) will probably become Himari's enemy, because they will be unable to make her happy.

I think Himari and Ringo are probably co-protagonists because Ringo will live, but Himari will die. I think Shouma's role will be to try to understand Himari (the real Himari), in order to remember her, because he will also live. I think that Kanba will dive deeper and deeper into the Penguin world, trying to take ahold of its power, because it is the instrument of Himari's survival. I think Natsume is relevant as an incumbent inhabitant of the Penguin world, set in opposition to Kanba, neither of whom however will be able to do anything but play into the hands of Sanetoshi, who is the Penguin world's master. Himari herself will be the single key to that struggle due to her rejection of "Fate". Ringo and Shouma will represent the world outside the Penguins left behind by her. Yuri and Tabuki's role in these past episodes will be revealed to be the process of them somehow usurping Ringo's family's connection to the penguins, the significance of which will be Ringo's resultant freedom to be an external agent along with Shou.

lol, that's my rough outline of the entire show based on episode 9. I may be completely wrong, but whatever.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-09-10 at 08:35.
Old 2011-09-10, 09:16   Link #1273
Auria

Spoiler for question concerning the OST:
Old 2011-09-10, 10:04   Link #1274
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Am I the only one who saw the tambourine with the penguin logos on it and reflexively thought "Penguin Drum!"

I've long given up on looking for answers, as such, in MawaPen. I find it to be a fruitless search more often than not. Patterns and connections on the other hand are abundant, and I have more fun keeping an eye on those.

So far MawaPen's had me re-watch Night on the Galactic Railroad, and sent me searching for Super-Frog Saves Tokyo. In both, there are characters and situations that seem far too familiar to be coincidental. The connections are compelling; revealing even. But I wouldn't say they've given me any "answers", and I'm kinda fine with that.

I like when I notice something that tickles my brain. For example, Super-Frog Saves Tokyo takes place in... wait for it... '95. Also, Katagiri raises his "teenage brother and sister" with money made from collecting from criminal organizations. It may not really give me any clues about what will happen in MPD, but it gets you thinking about what you've already seen.

Finally, at the start of ep 9 I had a weird moment where I seriously thought my wild guess suggestion last week that they might rewind time and replay the story from another perspective was actually going to turn out to be right.
Old 2011-09-10, 13:33   Link #1275
Kirarakim

Finally watched episode 9, wow what a great episode. And now that the first part of the series is done (what is covered in the first novel). I will say my favorite episodes were 1,2,5,9.

I actually thought Himari wouldn't get this type of development. I thought that the story would be about her (she would be the plot element) whereas the other characters would end up being developed.

Anyways in this case I am happy to be wrong, because Himari just became way more interesting to me. Before she was only interesting when she became the penguin queen.

And if Kanba is a bit perverted, Shouma a glutton, would Himari be Prideful or Vain perhaps? I do notice her and number 3 certainly like cute/pretty things.

But it's definitely nice to see she isn't perfect!

Oh and Sanetoshi was just absolutely awesome. I am already in love

Finally who is Himari's fated one? Shouma? Kanba? Or someone else entirely. I do expect that in the end whoever he is, it won't turn out to be a story of true love.

*Goes to Read Super Frog Saves Tokyo*

edit: Also for anyone who hasn't I suggest reading the Penguin Drum novel. It's translated only up to Ch. 1. There is nothing new necessarily (so you don't have to worry about spoilers) but I feel it gives details and clarifications that are not in the anime (although overall I prefer the anime for the direction and great visual gags).
Old 2011-09-10, 14:13   Link #1276
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Finally who is Himari's fated one? Shouma? Kanba? Or someone else entirely
He's called Mario Natsume, voiced by Aranami Kazusa.

Quote:
edit: Also for anyone who hasn't I suggest reading the Penguin Drum novel. It's translated only up to Ch. 1.
Up to chapter 9, actually. But yeah, people don't need to worry about spoilers anymore as all the material has been covered in the anime already. Everyone should go read it.
Old 2011-09-10, 14:18   Link #1277
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
FWIW, Kazusa has never done a male character before. Might be a meaningless fact, but who knows.
Old 2011-09-10, 14:21   Link #1278
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
FWIW, Kazusa has never done a male character before. Might be a meaningless fact, but who knows.
It's interesting to know nonetheless. Thanks!
Old 2011-09-10, 14:22   Link #1279
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I missed this. I couldn't distinguish a different voice that is. But was the name actually mentioned in the episode?

Quote:
Up to chapter 9, actually. But yeah, people don't need to worry about spoilers anymore as all the material has been covered in the anime already. Everyone should go read it.
Translated? I know first novel is 9 chapters but the only thing I can find is the prologue, chapter 1 and randomly chapter 6.
Old 2011-09-10, 14:30   Link #1280
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I missed this. I couldn't distinguish a different voice that is. But was the name actually mentioned in the episode?
The name was mentioned in the credits (夏芽 マリオ Natsume Mario). The guys at 2ch recognized the voice. It's not 100% confirmation but these guys know their stuff so this is the general consensus for now (in 2ch and 4chan). Good Haro agrees with this too.

Quote:
Translated? I know first novel is 9 chapters but the only thing I can find is the prologue, chapter 1 and randomly chapter 6.
The other chapters are linked in her Twitter.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism