AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Old 2007-12-12, 12:38   Link #221
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There was a group working on a patch translation but I think the effort proved overwhelming for them. There is no 'official' english version of the game.

I've been browsing for an english patch but pretty gave up last year. I figure my reward for learning Japanese (which I started a couple of years ago) will be playing the game
Old 2007-12-22, 11:18   Link #222
CrazySunshine

Piko (the dog) really strikes me as totally useless. Did he have a presence that was worth it... at all? Except for his funny bark.

Really only thing that I can think off that had NO MEANING at all.

Can somebody prove me wrong?
CrazySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 15:20   Link #223
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's some kind of crazy rule in some japanese anime (and the games they come from) that even quite dramatic films have to have absurd animal sidekicks.

AIR even pokes at this a bit by having Yukito wonder what the hell kind of creature Piko is. Yeah, I'd be fine with no more absurd animal sidekicks that fail the "comedy-relief" test for me.
Old 2008-01-02, 17:27   Link #224
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Greetings fellow Air fans.^^

I just watched the movie AND FREAKIN SOBBED MY EYES OUT (DAMN YOU JAPANESE AND YOUR TRAGIC LOVE STORY ENDINGS) so I'm kinda emo right now but...

Spoiler for Spoiler for movie:

I'm debating with myself to finish the TV series....it's just going to break my heart all over again, I'm sure. ;_;
Old 2008-01-04, 04:26   Link #225
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Vexx

I've always thought that Potato, although primarily useless, did have a minor role in showcasing what kind of a character Kano was - at least, to me it seemed interesting that she was more likely to open up to a small, fuzzy, sheeplike dog than to a normal human being. Basically, I guess I saw him as a kind of vehicle for her exposition. As well as a cute animal sidekick

@ Chiibi

I can't sadly answer your questions right now as I haven't seen the movie in ages - I need to check my parcel box and see if the disk has turned up yet, it's been a while. From my guessing though, at least from the general themes of Air, Yukito intends to keep questing to find the next incarnation/final incarnation of Kanna's soul (depending on how you read the salvation question). So it's possible that's what he meant... although again, I don't remember how much the movie changed it

And definitely watch the TV series - it is superior in every way apart from the relationship between Misuzu/Yukito, at least if you want an out and out romantic one.

-Andiyar
Old 2008-01-12, 17:49   Link #226
XSenX

Not sure if this has been asked before but...

In the movie, it seems that Ryuya and Kanna both get killed, but in the anime only Kanna dies.

I've heard that Yukito is a descendant of Ryuya and Uraha, whereas Ryuya had a child with Uraha.
Because of Uraha, Yukito has the power to control puppets and whatnot.

But...

If Ryuya died, then Uraha had no one to bear a child and pass her powers down.

This was left unexplained, so I was wondering then who Yukito descended from, because if his ancestors originally died, then uhh...where does he come in? Unless he's some resurrection out of the blue.
XSenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 21:00   Link #227
Flonne
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSenX View Post
Not sure if this has been asked before but...

In the movie, it seems that Ryuya and Kanna both get killed, but in the anime only Kanna dies.

I've heard that Yukito is a descendant of Ryuya and Uraha, whereas Ryuya had a child with Uraha.
Because of Uraha, Yukito has the power to control puppets and whatnot.

But...

If Ryuya died, then Uraha had no one to bear a child and pass her powers down.

This was left unexplained, so I was wondering then who Yukito descended from, because if his ancestors originally died, then uhh...where does he come in? Unless he's some resurrection out of the blue.
As far as i know,if my memory serves me right .. Uraha was pregnant when Ryuya died.
But i could be wrong.
Flonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 03:58   Link #228
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

well I just finished watching the whole 12 episodes of Air and this has got to be one of the most emotional series next to Kanon and Clannad...but I do have one question though...
Spoiler for at the end...:
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 18:38   Link #229
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
well I just finished watching the whole 12 episodes of Air and this has got to be one of the most emotional series next to Kanon and Clannad...but I do have one question though...
Spoiler for at the end...:
There's a separate thread for discussing the "ending of Air"; however, to make a long story short, it appears that
Spoiler:
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 15:49   Link #230
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
There's a separate thread for discussing the "ending of Air"; however, to make a long story short, it appears that
Spoiler:
Ok, thanks for answering my question and posting up a link to that thread...never knew that it also left a lot of people wondering about the ending.
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 21:07   Link #231
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

I've heard that Air is tear-jerker and some episodes are confusing..

is it worth watching ? and anyone can rate this series for me?
AuditionEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 22:00   Link #232
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditionEX View Post
I've heard that Air is tear-jerker and some episodes are confusing..
Yes to both. It's not a strongly story-driven show; it's more about creating a mood, and slowly revealing the story BEHIND the story over time. There are quite a few "Huh?" moments along the way, and it takes some strange twists and turns, but the emotional payoff that comes when things are explained and you finally understand what's been going on is huge. It's even better the second time you watch it, and notice all the little hints and clues you missed the first time.

And you will cry your eyes out, but that's a good thing.

Quote:
is it worth watching ? and anyone can rate this series for me?
If you have any interest at all in sad-but-beautiful, emotionally-involving stories, then it's definitely worth checking out. I've stayed out of the ratings thread so far, just because it feels weird to rate it now, but I'd give it a 9/10, taking off one point for timing / rushed pacing at points. And even though I have to do that, I'd be hard-pressed to figure out how to do any better with a story that large and only 13 episodes.
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 16:50   Link #233
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

I give it a rating of 6.

btw i didnt cried as well.

Wow. this animu gives me a headache and a confusion lawl
AuditionEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 20:30   Link #234
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

i wanted to ask if air has a happy ending or not .... Cause im kinda sensible to good but sad animes... and really dont wanna enjoy 2 days while watching the series and end up down for a week
An example of what i consider "sad anime" would be Fate Stay Night... and non sad would be like Clannad although it left me with the "wanna see more" thingy =D

Thanks
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 21:39   Link #235
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
If you thought FSN was sad, you're gonna have a hard time with the ending of AIR.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 22:52   Link #236
FatalMemory

Quote:
btw i didnt cried as well.
The "Mama, this is God" scene made me cry, and I'm an atheist!!
So you're either weird or not human.
FatalMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 01:08   Link #237
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
If you thought FSN was sad, you're gonna have a hard time with the ending of AIR.
I guess i'll have to pass on this one... thanks for the warning
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 13:19   Link #238
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Now I'm pretty sure all the Air TV DVD volumes have been released in America so how long before the Boxset? Do they even plan on releasing a boxset in the U.S.?
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 23:05   Link #239
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Interesting question. I've just had a check and it appears that Air was one of the series that floated from ADV to Funimation during AX this year, so Funi is the new distributor. I haven't seen anything announced about a new distribution method for Air, but I wouldn't be surprised if a box set came eventually - though, as I haven't seen anything announced, i wouldn't hold your breath.

Some anime are worth buying singles anyway, I feel. Just to say thanks.

-Andiyar
Old 2008-09-03, 15:06   Link #240
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
Interesting question. I've just had a check and it appears that Air was one of the series that floated from ADV to Funimation during AX this year, so Funi is the new distributor. I haven't seen anything announced about a new distribution method for Air, but I wouldn't be surprised if a box set came eventually - though, as I haven't seen anything announced, i wouldn't hold your breath.

Some anime are worth buying singles anyway, I feel. Just to say thanks.

-Andiyar
Thanks for the help. The only reason I try to buy boxsets is that I don't have a huge amount of room to fit a bunch of individuals all over the place.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote