AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-05-15, 22:28   Link #161
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well big bad ships that can transform to a robot may be a form of psychological warfare.

Pray that your flagship weapon isn't turned against you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIE3MOAy5N0
I like the grittier look compared to Frontier. The female pilot was very sexy as she spoke.

And psychological warfare is usually about something cheap and easy having a rewarding response from an oppenent. There's simply nothing easy about turning your primary weapon into a giant humaniod mecha, and the psychological impact probably won't set in until you actually use the weapon anyway. Meaning, you wasted your time.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 05:29   Link #162
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
wow. did anyone spot
Spoiler for Macross Quarter Defence:

Not free standing, as oppose to the monster.

Dammn....frigging fantastic.
Old 2008-05-16, 12:08   Link #163
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

In all this debate about transforming ships, is it just me who noticed that Macross Quarter seemed to be most maneuverable in GERWALK? It seems reasonable too since the main thrust can be pointed in two different directions, thus quicker evasive maneuvers as shown in episode 7 when
Spoiler for ep 7 action:
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 12:20   Link #164
ReddyRedWolf

Opinion please

Spoiler for Macross Galaxy:

If Macross Galaxy is classified as a Macross does that mean it transforms too?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 12:24   Link #165
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Quote:
Opinion please

Spoiler for Macross Galaxy:

If Macross Galaxy is classified as a Macross does that mean it transforms too?
Well, considering City 7 and Frontier likely can't transform...

More likely it simply has a New Macross Class Battleship docked somewhere, or the fleet is headed by a New Macross Class.
Blue Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 12:44   Link #166
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
no spares? you have proof? they might have one hanging around, you don't know.
If they bothered to make an extra cannon, they'd have a ship to mount it on too.

Quote:
If they can build new ships of this size, what makes you think they cannon service or build a new gun cannon?
I'm absolutely sure they can build a replacement in the event the flagship loses its gun cannon. But there's no way the flagship is going to go "oops, I lost the main cannon." "Oh well" Reach over and grab one from the spares bin. in the heat of battle.
Any operation to replace the main cannon is going to be intricate and time-consuming. Hands or no.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 13:19   Link #167
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
If they bothered to make an extra cannon, they'd have a ship to mount it on too.

wrong.

just because you have a spare, doesn't mean you immediately put it into use.

That just doesn't make sense economically and logistically.

It's like saying if the Fleet had extra VALKYRIES they'll put them into operation.

We know that's not true.

You need the pilots, the maintenance crew, the fuel...

In short, you keep spares and extra for precisely the reason when you need a quick replacement.

Quote:
I'm absolutely sure they can build a replacement in the event the flagship loses its gun cannon. But there's no way the flagship is going to go "oops, I lost the main cannon." "Oh well" Reach over and grab one from the spares bin. in the heat of battle.
Any operation to replace the main cannon is going to be intricate and time-consuming. Hands or no.
I agree. I'm certain if they did lose the main cannon, they'll retreat to a safe point and meet up with the logistic train.

and call up a replacement, which will be folded in, picked up by the battloid ship and head back to the front.

Old 2008-05-16, 14:11   Link #168
ReddyRedWolf

Well compared to other Macross gunships Macross Quarter isn't a flying brick.

Spoiler for SMS Macross Quarter:

Spoiler for other Macross ships:
Old 2008-05-17, 09:30   Link #169
madarabe
Dunamist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
wow. did anyone spot
Spoiler for Macross Quarter Defence:

Not free standing, as oppose to the monster.

Dammn....frigging fantastic.
Don't forget about SDF-1 Macross

いっぺん 死んでみる?
madarabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 09:39   Link #170
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madarabe View Post
Don't forget about SDF-1 Macross
Destroids on the SDF-1???!?!!

UMPOSSIBLE!!!

thanks for pointing out....the obvious.
Old 2008-05-17, 23:32   Link #171
4Tran

It looks like the speed of fold-space travel is faster than I estimated earlier. The rescue fleet from Macross Frontier launched as Sheryl started her concert, and they traveled 12 light-years and completed a battle before it ended. If we presume that the actual travel time was about an hour, that'd mean that the FTL speed was around 105,000c.
Old 2008-05-17, 23:56   Link #172
Wesley84

Wouldn't it have to be even better than that? Ranka saw them entering Fold Space, and probably arrived a few minutes after Sheryl's opening number. Assuming her second number literally coincides with the start of Skull Squadron launching, we're likely looking at less than ten minutes for 12 light years.
Old 2008-05-18, 03:07   Link #173
ReddyRedWolf

Hmm... Makes me wonder if the YF-21's brain-machine interface would work with somebody with advance cybernetic implants like that in Galaxy.

The problems with the system is that it taps to the human or Zentradi subconscious.

Making actions too quick for the pilot to realize.

Not to mention the strain if a Valkykie is pushed beyond human limits.

A similar problem with incomplete AI leeching off emotions. (Equiped with an emotion chip.)

If cybernetic implants can negate the flaws in brain-machine interface then it may explain the VF-27's manuevers which Brera Stern was piloting.
Old 2008-05-18, 06:35   Link #174
SymphonicRain

Come to think of it, you got it right on the spot that the YF-27's manuevres are similar to YF-21. That itself. establishes a strong possibility that the machine is based on brain-machine technology the latter used.

Good find.
SymphonicRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 09:18   Link #175
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
Come to think of it, you got it right on the spot that the YF-27's manuevres are similar to YF-21. That itself. establishes a strong possibility that the machine is based on brain-machine technology the latter used.

Good find.
It has to be brain controlled in some fashion - there are no visible conventional controls inside the cockpit.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 09:46   Link #176
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quoting what I wrote in the Speculation Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
If you mean the 360-degrees view in the cockpit, then that's similar to the VF-19 in Macross Plus. The way the view was presented may be stylized though, I recall they sometimes show Isamu naked while piloting his VF-19.
Although I admit, this could also be explained by the use of a brain-machine interface, especially since Brera appears to control his VF-27 in a hands-off manner (and play his harmonica to boot ). So it could be that the VF-27 is a combination of the VF-19 and VF-21. (Which was what I thought when watching Macross Plus: why not combine the two?)

...No, don't tell me the harmonica enables Brera to pull off a Basara-style pilot control

Last edited by CaptGloval; 2008-05-18 at 09:47. Reason: spelling
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 10:03   Link #177
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Quoting what I wrote in the Speculation Thread:

Although I admit, this could also be explained by the use of a brain-machine interface, especially since Brera appears to control his VF-27 in a hands-off manner (and play his harmonica to boot ). So it could be that the VF-27 is a combination of the VF-19 and VF-21. (Which was what I thought when watching Macross Plus: why not combine the two?)

...No, don't tell me the harmonica enables Brera to pull off a Basara-style pilot control
Lol

Anyway both Shinsei Industry and General Galaxy were competitors why would they share? (Unless they merged in the last 2 decades.)

Then they almost got screwed over by those admirals who like the X-9 Ghost.

Of course Sharon Apple happened so no go on a unmaned fighter as the mainstay fighter.

Then again nobody orders these damn things. Only on Macross 7 did these things come into practical use in small numbers.

It cost money to develop these things.

On the harmonica I haven't seen any sound boosters yet.

Though I can imagine the Planet Dance tune with a harmonica.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:04   Link #178
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Wouldn't it have to be even better than that? Ranka saw them entering Fold Space, and probably arrived a few minutes after Sheryl's opening number. Assuming her second number literally coincides with the start of Skull Squadron launching, we're likely looking at less than ten minutes for 12 light years.
It's certainly possible that the transit time was shorter than an hour; but there could have been several songs in between as well. I tend to prefer using more conservative numbers to establish the lower limits - it's more useful than high-ball figures. Still, 105,000c is awfully fast.

Quote:
Hmm... Makes me wonder if the YF-21's brain-machine interface would work with somebody with advance cybernetic implants like that in Galaxy.
I think that this implication is the reason why they put that clip of the implants used in Macross Galaxy before the OP. It would also suggest that Brera himself has some sort of connection to Galaxy.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:16   Link #179
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's certainly possible that the transit time was shorter than an hour; but there could have been several songs in between as well. I tend to prefer using more conservative numbers to establish the lower limits - it's more useful than high-ball figures. Still, 105,000c is awfully fast.
I would say there weren't other songs though. We know for a fact Ranka saw them departing. The probable time between her seeing them leave and her finding her seat is the time it took for the fleet to cross 12 light years minus whatever amount of time would have been necessary for them to prepare for the battle.

And she was right outside the music hall when she saw them depart. Even as clumsy as she tends to be, Ranka wouldn't have spent more than ten minutes finding her seat, especially since she'd already been there at least once before.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:29   Link #180
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
This is really pretty consistent with what we've seen before - from what episode 6 showed in the intro, the fold drive seems to work like the FTL drive proposed in Event Horizon - it essentially "pinches" two bits of space-time together, and shoots the object in question through the "hole". It obviously isn't quite instantaneous, but it would be damn fast - remember that in original Macross once it actually folded the SDF-1 traveled from Earth to Pluto in under a second. There are going to be some mind-bogglingly high multipliers of c in realspace involved with folding.
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote