Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-04, 12:06   Link #1
gloh79
Sashimi Lover

Turn-based strategy

Hello all,

I'm looking for some current turn-based strategy games. Something like Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyria Chronicles, Fire Emblem: RD, etc.

The titles I listed I have already played :P

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!! ^^
Old 2010-05-04, 12:16   Link #2
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You are confusing two whole different genres. What you talk about are tactical RPG or turn-based tactics. Turn-based strategy games are whole different birds, examples being Sid Meier's Civilization or Alpha Centauri (excellent game that needs more love). The difference lies in the scale and how personalized the units are.
Old 2010-05-04, 12:19   Link #3
Sides

UFO: Enemy unknown and X-Com: Terror from the deep, mothers of all turn based strategy games. I think Julian Gollop's last game was on the GBA, called Rebelstar: Tactical Command, awesome game, but felt like a cut down version of the first two x-com games
Old 2010-05-04, 12:23   Link #4
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloh79 View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking for some current turn-based strategy games. Something like Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyria Chronicles, Fire Emblem: RD, etc.

The titles I listed I have already played :P

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!! ^^
Do you only play game in English language?
Old 2010-05-04, 16:11   Link #5
Scorch

Indeed, the genre you're asking about is turn based tactics, not turn based strategy. I'd highly recommend Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. FFT has pretty much the same team that TO had (TO predates FFT). It's less polished than FFT, but better balanced and has an amazing story. Unlike FFT, it basically sticks with politics for the entire story.

If you want a less serious game, Disgaea 1 is a solid game. It can get a bit grindy and if you're played one NIS game, you've already got a sense of what all of them kind of feel like, but the story is hillarious. Laharl, the son of the Overlord of the Netherworld, wants to become Overlord himself. He gets to deal with vassals plotting against him, an angel trainee that comes to assassinate his father, another overlord who is so big that you can only see his feet on the map, the prism rangers, and a bunch of other silly things. It parodies a lot of anime and game story conventions. The sequels were nowhere near as funny as the original in my opinion.

If you want an actual turned based strategy game, you can't go wrong with Civilization, or Heroes of Might and Magic 2 or 3.
Old 2010-05-04, 17:43   Link #6
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
UFO: Enemy unknown and X-Com: Terror from the deep, mothers of all turn based strategy games. I think Julian Gollop's last game was on the GBA, called Rebelstar: Tactical Command, awesome game, but felt like a cut down version of the first two x-com games
I will definitely second UFO: Enemy Unknown, X-Com: Terror from the deep and add X-Com: Apocalypse.

X-Com also spawned the story of Marc Lecointe.
Old 2010-05-04, 22:52   Link #7
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

How come no one mentioned Heroes of Might and Magic ?! ... If im not wrong, there are 4 releases and the plots arent related so u can start with HoMM IV (better graphics).
Old 2010-05-04, 22:54   Link #8
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Resonance of Fate perhaps?

You do need to plan your actions and what ammunition to use against certain enemies.

It's like Final Fantasy crossed with the lobby scene of the original Matrix.

Which is awesome.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2010-05-04, 23:28   Link #9
qwertyuiopz

yggdra union?

err what console are u asking for?
i hope ppl arent confusing turn based tactics with turn based rpg
Old 2010-05-05, 01:04   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I know this sounds stupid, but I second all of the above! Then there's Lunar, you can find it for most consoles (from NES to PSP). A few notes on all the games above:
Yggdra Union is very Fire Emblem-like, but a lot harder.
Heroes of Might&Magic is like Age of Wonders, if you've played it. Perfect example of turn-based tactics, I found it interesting enough.
Resonance of Fate I haven't played yet, but I've been studying the gameplay: you take turns to act, but your enemies can attack you while your turn is running. Looks long and fun.
Tactics Ogre is a lot like FFT, if you've got a GBA I recommend Tactics Ogre:the knight of Lodis as it offers crucial decisions and complimentary training to perfect your army (as well as a few awesome secret characters).
I'll also recommend Riviera: the promised land, but be warned, the game's extremely hard if you're going for 100% (need 6 playthroughs) and the item system can be hard to swallow at first.
Lunar and Riviera are RPGs, there's no movement around the battlefield during battles.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2010-05-05 at 02:40.
Old 2010-05-05, 18:38   Link #11
Jaden

Japan produces a lot of these but they all feel like clones. In the west it's a nearly dead genre, but I really liked Silent Storm, a gem from Russia.
Old 2010-05-05, 18:49   Link #12
Socke
Banned

Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords and its add-ons, Dark Avatar and Twilight or Arnor.
Old 2010-05-06, 02:17   Link #13
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Master of Magic is still, by far and away, my favourite 4x game. It's basically Civilization mixed with the magic system of Magic: The Gathering, and as big fan of both games, it was a huge hit for me. Not sure if one can actually put the link to DL it, but it's not that hard to find if you know where to find old games *cough*Underdogs*cough*. Of course, needless to say, you'd need a DOS emulator in order to play it.

I just hope its Spiritual Successor, Elemental - War of Magic, would be as fun as it is. And as someone who plays its beta, it's very much fun so far. Here's a link to its preview...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1079424p1.html

And apart from what others have mentioned, one of the most recent polished TRPG would be Jeanne D'arc for the PSP. I have hailed it as the second coming of Tactics Ogre, with its political-based story and its likeness to its battle mechanics, from recharging MP overtime to the ability to equip any spell.

Devil Survivor was, until just recently, my favourite DS game. It's intriguing plot plus its unique battle system, in which each unit in a map is actually a team of three, made it an instant win for me. Add on the fact that it has what, 5 different paths for 5 different endings, and you got yourself a very replayable game.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2010-05-06, 03:22   Link #14
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

I assume you have the ps3 platform cause you've played Valkyria Chronicles

Disgaea 3 would be my best recommendation
not that great but good story, variety of characters, many side-quests and many cameo appearances from Nippon Ichi's previous games

Old 2010-05-06, 04:16   Link #15
Raa
Sceptic

Yes, you mix genres. The one you are asking for is SRPG (TRPG), strategic/tactical role playing game. Turn based strategies are as different from SRPGs as night from day.
Anyway you don't mention what you plan playing it on, but by mentioning VC you hint PS3, Disgaea 3 then is what you ask for. If your PS3 is backward compatible, there are a lot of SRPGs for PS2 too.

edited: beaten many times, sorry for repeating what others said. =)
Old 2010-05-06, 05:23   Link #16
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

If XCom acceptable .. then you should try out Jagged Alliance 2 Old games, but we have a dedicated mod makers that still injected life to the game. JA is what XCOM are with personality

You can also try out Silent Storm, which is similar to JA2 .. but WWII based setting.

Also try out UFO: Alien Invasion .. Its open sourced . Based on XCOM UFO unknown. And used Quake's 3D engine.

If you wanna play HoMM, look for HoMM 3 or HoMM 5 .. HoMM 4 is a disgrace that must not be bandied around. You can also find the 1st and 2nd version in most abandonware game site.

Talking about abandonware game .. If you know Magic:the Gathering .. then try out Microprose's old abandonware by the same name Magic :the Gathering .. Its quite hard to configure for play under Vista and above (it was released in 97)... but thats the best rendition of the card game itself ..

All PC games tho ... I hate console games
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-05-06, 05:27   Link #17
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Japan produces a lot of these but they all feel like clones. In the west it's a nearly dead genre, but I really liked Silent Storm, a gem from Russia.
I loved Silent Storm, Sentinals and Hammer & Sickle. Great games.

If we're recommending any Turn Based game we can't forgot Jagged Alliance. Number two is the best in my opinion but the other games in the series are pure gold as well.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Closed Thread