Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-19, 23:21   Link #21
InitialGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
To OP: Please don't be offended if someone doesn't agree with you in opinion. This is a discussion forum, after all.

I'm not calling you out, but did you watch all of those anime, rori? 'Cause that's a lot.
I will never be offended by anyone's opinion. I fully understand not everyone will enjoy my recommendations but I did give my reasons for why they would be worth a watch if you haven't seen them.

If you look at the first couple responses to my post, you won't find much reasoning to the bashing. Surely if you want to tell me that Naruto is just plain bad because the masses watch it. If you prioritize being unique and individualized by an anime that is less popular or known then the responders should just say so. I personally don't care if everybody watches or have watched naruto, it doesn't make naruto disadvantage when compared to other series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Well the idea of suggesting some shows to others is pretty nice in theory but will absolutely fail in practice. The reason for it is simple:

Your taste =/= my taste.

There are so many anime watchers out there and while it's common for people to have a similar taste for a certain genre(s) most of them will have their own preferences and ideas about what series are epic, awesome, moe, cute, interesting, bad, trash and so on. There are series that are widely accepted as good let's say a slice of life show will be quite boring for someone who is much more into the action and thriller genre. Of course I'm not saying that this is the absolute truth which is correct in every case, just a note to illustrate my point.

Sure you can suggest WttNHK, Kaiji, Naruto but that's just three shows out of who knows how many and all of them are in absolutely different genres so there will always be people who will simply prefer other series. Even with a list like that of roriconfan, which is quite solid (and very huge) the majority will be all over show A, liking show B while disliking C and hating on D. A/B/C/D will vary from person to person.

Let me use your quote as an example of why threads like this don't work:

Well you see, even though I didn't count the exact number the amount of shows on that list is probably more than I have seen in my entire anime 'career' and seeing how I have seen/read less than 5% of them to me the list is incredibly huge. On the other hand you who (my guess) has been into anime quite a bit longer and has already seen most of them the list looks much smaller.
I know. You know. We all know. We just don't all know how to express these feelings which is why I'm upset at the responses.
Old 2010-05-20, 01:01   Link #22
NoLongerSane

I would like to recommend Geneshaft to anyone that wants to watch. Just remebered the series and it does have an interesting concept on how a person is judged based on their own genes/DNA and how one tries to overcome that stigma. It is a mech show, but it deals with just on mech and the female pilots trying to become it's permenant pilot. The story does carry a dark tone to it and character deaths happen quite a few times in the series.
Old 2010-05-20, 02:18   Link #23
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ And it's also confusing, boring, and fan servish. Good concept though.
Old 2010-05-20, 03:06   Link #24
Kafriel
Senior Guest

At any rate, I will recommend Casshern SINS, Soul Eater, Baccano!and Spice and Wolf since each is well-made in their genre. Unlike others, I like Naruto, and would rate it as good, despite its flaws, both in plot and progress.
Quote:
Death Note.......masterpieces?
I don't see why not, as far as I'm concerned it's #1 when it comes to mystery and suspense.
Old 2010-05-20, 04:27   Link #25
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
^ Don't read half the sentances
I didn't read half the "sentances". The word "and" binds statements together and is only true if each statement holds. If you say "all the titles are X, Y and Z" you're saying they satisfy each condition. Perhaps the word you meant to use was "or". Interesting that people are negrepped for interpreting sentences as they are written....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2010-05-20 at 04:37.
Old 2010-05-20, 05:26   Link #26
roriconfan
Banned

Ok, it should be an or. But just for the record, they really are considered masterpieces by many.
Old 2010-05-21, 22:22   Link #27
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

My top 5 recomendations are:

1) Full Metal Panic
2) Fate Stay Night
3) Black Lagoon
4) Clannad
5) Spice and Wolf

The first three are of the action, fantasy genre with some romance, drama and comedy mixed in a really interesting and original story. My personal favorites of its kind... specially FMP.

Clannad and Spice & Wolf would fall under the slice of life / fantasy / romance category.... both beautifully showed (art wise and how the story is told).

There are many other series i would like to recommend such as Berserk, Gundam Seed, Naruto, Bleach, Kenichi, etc, etc, etc but they have their good and bad points so ill just mention them and leave it to u to check them out.

@roriconfan

here is ur first post in this thread... very interesting and informative i must say..

[QUOTE=roriconfan;3052950]Because the masses like crap.

Then u go and post a enormous list of anime names starting from the 70s without explaining why u recommend them.. and ur last post:

Quote:
.....But just for the record, they really are considered masterpieces by many.
Why not just mention a few animes You enjoyed instead of bashing other ppls suggestions and posting some "masterpieces considered by many.." to prove that ur right.

And to the other few ppl that first replied bashing Naruto.... there is no way u can watch over 100 episodes of a series and not liked it or found it a bit interesting. And if u didnt even watch that many episodes of this series then u dont even have the right to critize it. I dont deny there are many frustrating and agonizing parts of Naruto (fillers, quiz, etc) but IT is still a great anime and one of its kind: original plot, great characters, great fighting scenes and the constant / weekly releases are things that make it a good series to, at least, recommend.
Old 2010-05-22, 00:04   Link #28
NoLongerSane

^ I agree with what you have said about Naruto. I consider myself a fan of the show and really enjoy watching the series in arcs. The problem that I have had with the series has been with the fillers. I do admit that some of the fillers have been very funny to watch, but I get aggrivated when the fillers start to degrade the development of the character.

Anywho, I would also like to recommend two animes: The Soul Taker and Betterman. The first one mention has a supernaturalistic feel to it along with an interesting story line. Plus, this anime had a spin-off show based on one of the secondary characters.

Betterman deals with the aspects of biology and psychology gone bad and also has an interesting story line with it. No spin-offs but it does share the same continuity of Gaogaigar.

Last edited by NoLongerSane; 2010-05-22 at 18:35.
Old 2010-05-22, 02:45   Link #29
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
@roriconfan

here is ur first post in this thread... very interesting and informative i must say..

Quote:
Because the masses like crap.
Then u go and post a enormous list of anime names starting from the 70s without explaining why u recommend them
Most of my favorites are in that list. And all of those titles prior to 1990 are famous because they are great for the time they were made and still look fabulous today. They have won the fight against time and will always be memorable. The titles after 1990 are far more in numbers because they are still hot titles, mostly because of emotional bondage with them. I grew up with them and most of the talking is about them. Most will not make it in the next 20 years and will be forgotten. So in all this list is both objective and subjective.
Old 2010-05-22, 09:17   Link #30
seiftis
~defying fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
And to the other few ppl that first replied bashing Naruto.... there is no way u can watch over 100 episodes of a series and not liked it or found it a bit interesting.
Oh yes I'm one of the few ppl who replied.

Yes I did watched the first series, after painfully forcing myself to watch it. But just like crappy Bleach, I dropped it. Can't take the show anymore. It was interesting in the early parts - and this is because I haven't watched that many anime during around 2003-2004 (my internet connection was still a 56k dial-up). Then slightly upgraded to 512kbps <-- still, what the hell can you download with this?

Compared to now that I've seen loads of anime, Naruto is plain average to be put up as a recommendation (as in watching casually is fine, sure, but I certainly won't be recommending it to my friends) -- this is my f-ing point.

If I am to recommend something, it's these:
- Dennou Coil
- Seirei no Moribito

If you still insisting on some descriptions, I'll do it some other day, I've work to do now.
Old 2010-05-22, 14:09   Link #31
roriconfan
Banned

I used to like Naruto too in the early episodes when the plot was rather fast and the world was still unrevealed. Then it became so slow and characters became too immortal, while the tactical aspect of the show ended up being "exchange places with a log" and "it was an illusion all this time".
My last spark of interest about the so called "intense" action went away when I watched this series:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_m1a...eature=related
Old 2010-05-22, 16:17   Link #32
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
The thread starter did came of as a little trollish with his responses but i ended with some good recommendations.
Old 2010-05-22, 17:07   Link #33
roriconfan
Banned

The wise gain something even from obstacles. Including troll tolls.
Old 2010-05-26, 04:19   Link #34
InitialGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
The thread starter did came of as a little trollish with his responses but i ended with some good recommendations.
trollish lol wut?

the only trolls were the responses to my recommendations. trollolols had me rolling real good when i should have just ignored them.
Old 2010-06-01, 22:04   Link #35
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Don't be telling posters "they don't have the right to criticize" when they likely have watched enough episodes to form an opinion. Basically you just ended up sounding like a Narutard.

Came with a box of burned smelly cookies..
why not post this over here with some usefull suggestions of ur own instead of sending a anonimous pm eh?
Old 2010-06-01, 22:57   Link #36
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
To OP: Please don't be offended if someone doesn't agree with you in opinion. This is a discussion forum, after all.
Yes this is a discussion forum. And he has all the right in the world to be offended (there's no "you can't feel offended" rule last I heard). These "I stop reading after this..." style posts were amusing the first few times a few years back, but they are hardly anything more then a cheap insult anymore; there in the ranks with "nice story bro" and other tl;dr variants.

Its not what you like, its what you like about it. And I don't mean that in the stereotypical copy/paste "good actors, good music, good animation blah blah bleh" kind.

What I recommend to you, is: Go watch some of the new ongoing shows like Angel Beats! Fresh shows have a certain charm to them that shows that have come to pass may not; mostly due to the inevitable lack of attention, age ol' trolling and noticeable quirks of the old "art".