AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-05, 23:59   Link #41
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Good to see Penguindrum got nuts becuase it is overrated. It can cram whatever symbolism it wants but the fact remains its pacing was bad especially in the middle of the show and that was only one problem area among a number. In terms of compactness SG and madoka was much better. GJ for both winning.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 00:43   Link #42
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It's disappointing that Penguindrum didn't win anything, because it's arguably the most bold and audacious anime to have come out in years. But I'm not surprised. I didn't think it had enough popular appeal.

I admit to being a bit surprised by the Romance category. I thought Ano Hana would waltz home, but it came in stone motherless. I'm not sure any of the entrants were particularly deserving, though. It was a good year for anime last year, but if there's one genre that seems to be struggling at the minute, it's this one.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 00:44   Link #43
Stealther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Without a weighing system to express how much anyone likes the anime they voted for relative to the others, these awards will just remain a popularity poll.

Nothing wrong with this award though, just drop the pretense of best. When I read the word "best" in a category, I just mentally replace it with "favorite" which makes the award much easier for me to enjoy.
With a weighting system the awards will be even more subject to popularity. Even though the thought that you can grade how much you like things is good, it will most likely turn out that popular shows will get more points from each person, making the results even more skewed.

As for ecchi/fanservice/moe I don't really care. I tend to vote in favour of the fanservice element, and if people don't like that I guess you could split it. You could remove it entirely for what I care, but seeing so many ppl liking this kind of anime/element kinda speaks against it.
Quote:
What if we dropped Fanservice as a genre altogether and just had a general category for "the show that had the best fanservice" instead of the best show in the Fanservice genre.
It would be hard to enforce.

I think Mystery/Horror should be kept as it is. There are usually too few good mystery or horror animes each year to warrant a split. They both contain dark elements/atmosphere and/or are mysterious.

Sports/Hobby/Game could probably use same reasoning as above, but it seems like moe-ish animes always will have an edge nowadays. If you really care about Sports being sports you could split them.

As for banners I just think you should remove the "series". Makes it sounds like only series can win those awards, when movies/OVAs are eligible too. Better with just anime, or even better nothing. It is an anime awards, and pointing out that it is best xxx anime is just redundant.

While Redline might be technically impressive it doesn't that you have to like it the best. Beauty is in the beholder of the eye, and I didn't like the overdone CG and shades/shadows/shine in Hanasaku either.

I didn't enjoy Colorful, Redline or any other of the shorts enough to vote for them.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 01:00   Link #44
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

I admit the results are a touch underwhelming. Not entirely unexpected though.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that those who voted for Madoka in Mystery/Horror didn't actually watch Gosick or Un-Go. Still, I guess that's to be expected.

Kudos to the Haak and the others for your hard work.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 01:44   Link #45
lighto13
Zero Knight

agreed with everything except nichijou for best comedy
come on, boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai shouldve won taht
or even ika musume
lighto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 03:08   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I was disappointed to see Colorful, probably the best anime of the year in any form, get so few votes. But given how little known it is outside Japan it was expected.

As for the rest, it was a foregone conclusion that Madoka would win almost everything it was up for (mystery??), the herd mentality was strong with this one and it's certainly a good show. At least AnoHana didn't get shut out.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 06:58   Link #47
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Good to see Penguindrum got nuts becuase it is overrated. It can cram whatever symbolism it wants but the fact remains its pacing was bad especially in the middle of the show and that was only one problem area among a number. In terms of compactness SG and madoka was much better. GJ for both winning.
So because you don't personally like a show it is overrated?
Old 2012-02-06, 07:25   Link #48
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Best Movie/Ova
Carnival Phantasm — 40 votes (30%)
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai Specials — 32 votes (24%)
Redline — 22 votes (16%)
Colorful (Movie) — 17 votes (12%)

That's just plain disgusting. Two worst won over the two best. And by quite a large margin. Has no one watched Redline?
Old 2012-02-06, 07:35   Link #49
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Disappointed with the results. Despite being 2011 being a strong year, it was mainly dominated by a select few (namely Madoka Magica and Steins Gate), which makes it not much different from 2009 or 2010 where the same pretty much happened despite there being less "legit" choices back then.

My biggest disappointment is the Sports/Game/Hobby slot with Idolmaster winning. This was just wtf. How does a "moeblob" show beat out the likes out of something like Redline. Or even Kaiji, Moshidora or God Only Knows.

My other major disappointing was with Carnival Phantasm winning the movie/OVA slot. Not only was it dissappointing that the movie and OVA categories weren't separted, it's disappointing because it proves that that not many people watched Colorful and Redline (and to a lesser extent Hoshi Wo Ou Kodomo, but tbh I thought that filmed kinda sucked), which were 2 films that were superb, near-masterpieces for their respective genres. I'm not taking anything away from Carnival Phantasm as it was a pretty good comedy... but it's a comedy (and a parody of Type-Moon) in the end, which doesn't deserve to beat two "legit good" films.

Other disappointments included Fate/Zero winning Action/Adventure (once again... Redline) and Visuals. Particularly, visuals was was not deserved when Redline was practically revolutionary in its visuals or when something like Hanasaku Iroha had some of the most gorgeous background art for a slice of life series. Not to mention, there was some glaringly obvious budget cutting as F/Z had too much still frames for my liking.

Also wtf at Nichijou winning comedy... I thought that show got ripped to bits during its airing?

I donno... I just feel like Redline overall got completely shafted by not even winning a single award in anything, when it could have easily won two (Visuals and Action). It's honestly the most "fun" and "entertaining" show since Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

At least Usagi Drop got what it deserved by winning the Slice of Life slot (thank god it wasn't some "moeblob" show) and thank god Steins;Gate didn't win romance as I feared despite me not liking Kimi ni Todoke.

As much as I thought Madoka and Steins Gate were excellent, they don't deserve raping everything in an excellent year such as 2011.

/rant
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 07:36   Link #50
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
That's just plain disgusting. Two worst won over the two best. And by quite a large margin. Has no one watched Redline?
Redline appeals to the old school. The current gen wants somthing different now. It should have been released years ago but took much longer than expected to complete.

And yes, I did vote for Redline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
My biggest disappointment is the Sports/Game/Hobby slot with Idolmaster winning. This was just wtf. How does a "moeblob" show beat out the likes out of something like Redline. Or even Kaiji, Moshidora or God Only Knows.
Redline isn't current gen material. Moshidora's adaptation didn't deliver. And Kaiji is the self-declared king of anti-moe. Look at what won. Any questions?

Quote:
My other major disappointing was with Carnival Phantasm winning the movie/OVA slot. Not only was it dissappointing that the movie and OVA categories weren't separted, it's disappointing because it proves that that not many people watched Colorful and Redline (and to a lesser extent Hoshi Wo Ou Kodomo, but tbh I thought that filmed kinda sucked), which were 2 films that were superb, near-masterpieces for their respective genres. I'm not taking anything away from Carnival Phantasm as it was a pretty good comedy... but it's a comedy (and a parody of Type-Moon) in the end, which doesn't deserve to beat two "legit good" films.
Fate/Zero was airing. Witch on the Holy Night is being released in game form soon. Type Moon material is being watched a fair bit lately. It's fresh in the mind and being marketed/hyped up in a lot of places. Can't say the other titles did. Particularly since they contain material the current crop of fans tend to not like.

Quote:
Not to mention, there was some glaringly obvious budget cutting as F/Z had too much still frames for my liking.
Describes almost any title from last year. Seriously.

Quote:
Also wtf at Nichijou winning comedy... I thought that show got ripped to bits during its airing?
It was a weak year for comedy-centred shows.

Quote:
I donno... I just feel like Redline overall got completely shafted by not even winning a single award in anything, when it could have easily won two (Visuals and Action). It's honestly the most "fun" and "entertaining" show since Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Fun and entertaining are wanted in different forms/ways these days. *shrug*

Quote:
At least Usagi Drop got what it deserved by winning the Slice of Life slot (thank god it wasn't some "moeblob" show) and thank god Steins;Gate didn't win romance as I feared despite me not liking Kimi ni Todoke.
Well, I daresay the fuss generated in the nominations thread let to it.

Quote:
As much as I thought Madoka and Steins Gate were excellent, they don't deserve raping everything in an excellent year such as 2011.
If they're the titles people mainly talk about or want to remember, what can you do? See if people still do in 5 years. I am nowhere near convinced 2011 was anything special or revolutionary. Solid fanbases got delivered to for the greater part.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2012-02-06 at 07:58.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 08:07   Link #51
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
So because you don't personally like a show it is overrated?
The problem comes from a portion of fans that are like "HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE PENGUINDRUM?! IT IS BY IKUHARA!!! DON'T DARE QUESTION IKUHARA-SAMA!!!" or pull the "You just did not get it" card for the criticism against the overuse, or perceived overuse, of symbolism. It mostly boils down to the hype aversion that Madoka also met during, and after, its airing.
Old 2012-02-06, 08:10   Link #52
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealther View Post
With a weighting system the awards will be even more subject to popularity. Even though the thought that you can grade how much you like things is good, it will most likely turn out that popular shows will get more points from each person, making the results even more skewed.
No, quite a bit less. The current system is a "First Past the Post " vote which has well known drawbacks. Averages based on grades deals with the biggest problem of the current system: exposure. Shows that haven't been seen by a sizable majority of the voters have no chance to win regardless of quality. Worse, a sizable part of the votes goes to waste without having an impact on the outcome.

The only way for the current system to give a more "representative" result then grading/averages is if all voters who have not seen all shows in a category abstains from voting in that category.

Off course there is a downsides to grades: retaliation grading between rival fans and a small minority can push an obscure show by giving high grades while the majority abstains.

However I would not advocate a switch to grading as it leads to a lot more work for the organizers and a less friendly atmosphere. I enjoy the current format but simply take the outcomes with a grain of salt.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 08:34   Link #53
kitten320

Oh wow, Madoka had dominated the poll 0_o
Surprised that Stein;Gate dropped to second place but also a bit pleased since I didn't consider it to be worth some of the categories like for example romance.

About Visuals category, I never watched Redline but I voted for Fate/Zero not because of the fame. I really think that it had good visuals in comparison to many shows. Just variety of angle shots already busts it up.

P.S. I'm really surprised that Penguindrum didn't win a thing, especially in originality category because I never saw something like that before. Madoka is cool but I wouldn't call it original, it gives me huge Mai HiME vibes...
Old 2012-02-06, 08:44   Link #54
Sides

Well people who decide to take part should at least sample some episodes/music tracks from the nominated series before passing their votes. That is what I did. Going through OP, EN and movies/OVA is pretty straight forward. Longer series is a bit more difficult considering the deadline, but if you go over the threads in the series forum it gives you an idea which episodes to pick.
Most difficult one I have to say is was adaptation, hope this year we get less VN adaptations.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 08:55   Link #55
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The problem comes from a portion of fans that are like "HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE PENGUINDRUM?! IT IS BY IKUHARA!!! DON'T DARE QUESTION IKUHARA-SAMA!!!" or pull the "You just did not get it" card for the criticism against the overuse, or perceived overuse, of symbolism. It mostly boils down to the hype aversion that Madoka also met during, and after, its airing.
Oh come on "you dont get it" is used every time anyone criticizes any well liked show. It's nothing special to Penguindrum. And sure the show had some hype because it was the first show Ikuhara made in 10 years but it nowhere even close reached the popularity of Madoka. And if anything Penguindrum got an equal dose of love & hate in the anime fandom because of said symbolism. It was never overrated.

The overrated card is used far too much when people just mean they dont like something. And besides its not nice to gloat over another series not winning.
Old 2012-02-06, 09:12   Link #56
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Every year after the awards this conversation about certain shows winning too many categories pops up, but there's really nothing to be done about it. Limiting doesn't seem to come across as a good idea, because this would just be molding the contest to get some slight different results which, in some cases, might even make more people abstain from voting. Not everyone has watched more than one or two shows in each category, and if their favourite one is already out because it was deemed as more fitting in another one, then they might as well not cast a vote or just vote for something else for the sake of it and/or following the hype bandwagon.

Honestly, these awards are a popularity poll, and they will remain so as long as everyone gets their own shot at voting. And, to me, it's cool the way it is. It ends, people can express their opinions on why or not they agree with the winners, and then next year there's more to come. More importantly, vote, talk about the shows you liked best and hope that someone might read it and decide to give it a go, if they haven't!
Old 2012-02-06, 09:30   Link #57
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Antagonist: Kyuubey
What, seriously?

Btw, I'm surprised very few people voted . These awards really needs some publicity.

At the end, it became a popularity contest.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 09:32   Link #58
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
What, seriously?
Is it that you don't consider Kyubey to be that good of an antagonist, or is it that you don't consider him to be an antagonist at all?

Just curious.
Old 2012-02-06, 09:42   Link #59
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Is it that you don't consider Kyubey to be that good of an antagonist, or is it that you don't consider him to be an antagonist at all?

Just curious.
IMO Kyuubey was/is like a gun seller, you use the weapons for good or evil, its your decision. That doesn't makes him evil, just a gun seller.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 09:49   Link #60
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post

Btw, I'm surprised very few people voted . These awards really needs some publicity.

At the end, it became a popularity contest.
Campaining in any form have become very frowned upon since Saimoe 2006.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice awards