Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-02-06, 02:02   Link #21
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
Well, not too bad I guess

At least it ain't like a certain award which had the fujoshi ruining it(No offense but it looks like it that way).
It’s a double whammy IMO. The nomination & nominees of that certain award aren’t varied and good enough to begin with, only to be worsened by the YoI overhype. Don’t get me wrong, YoI is a very good series (it’s not a fujoshi-bait because it treated the homosexual relationship quite seriously and not focusing on sexual tension) and it deserves most of the praises it gets, but monopolizing an award in almost all categories isn’t one of them .
Old 2017-02-06, 02:16   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Maybe you're right. You're certainly not the only person to make this argument.

I don't speak for Haak or felix, but it's something I'll probably discuss with them for next year. Because it is possible that this could happen again in the future, particularly with, say, a popular all-girls ensemble show that really blurs the line between female lead and side-character.

But it's also precisely for that reason that I'm curious to know where people here draw the line between "lead character" and "side-character".

Take the cast of some idol/music band anime, for example. They tend to have a "first among equals" character, and I think it's fairly easy to consider that particular character a female lead, but what about the rest? Are Eli Ayase and Ritsu Tainaka and Chihaya Kisaragi "side-characters"?

And even in the case of Rem, she probably is the female character that has the highest total amount of screen-time in the Re:Zero anime to date. She feels like a Female Lead to me, even if Emilia is the presumptive main heroine.

"Each show has only one female lead and one male lead. All others are side-characters." (Not saying you'd necessarily state this yourself - just voicing what's probably the simplest possible answer here)

Ok... so who's the female lead in Fate/Stay Night? In White Album 2? In True Tears? In Tari Tari? There's definitely going to be some serious edge-cases.
That's a total red herring. It has nothing to do with arbitrarily saying every show can only have one lead of each gender (which is likewise ludicrous) - no one AFAIK has even raised that issue. The issue is that the same character can only be one or the other.

To me the solution is simple - pick one. It's what every RL award committee does. Don't make nonsense arguments like "she was a lead in one arc, but supporting in another" - that's a slippery slope like Mount Everest. If a series counts as a single series under the rules you guys have set up, a character should not be eligible for both categories. It ain't complicated, really.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2017-02-06 at 02:27.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 02:18   Link #23
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
This particular system just happens to be a fairly rare event. I don't think it's generally a good idea to focus around on designing rules around exceptions that will probably never occur again. Sometimes OP things are OP, so let them be. Unless you work for Blizzard.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 02:30   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Or just have some common sense rules that apply to everything. As RRR said this sort of thing is actually quite likely to happen again, given the cast makeup of most anime these days.

I suppose it boils down to what you want awards like these to be. Do you want to at least try and be systematic, and use established precedent as a guideline to try and have a real contest? Or do you just want it to be an arbitrary thing where anything goes as long as it amuses enough people? No wrong answer, but the two are pretty much mutually exclusive.
Old 2017-02-06, 03:28   Link #25
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Or just have some common sense rules that apply to everything. As RRR said this sort of thing is actually quite likely to happen again, given the cast makeup of most anime these days.
And the rules have worked fine for many years, and it's the first case where such an anomaly appeared. As for this kind of thing happening again, I am not convinced so; what makes it so that new anime is more likely to happen as such?

I mean, you could talk about common sense, but it's pretty obvious the interpretation here was ambiguous enough to cause this situation in the first place. And common sense also dictates numbers (excluding troll votes) really mean what they mean.

Quote:
I suppose it boils down to what you want awards like these to be. Do you want to at least try and be systematic, and use established precedent as a guideline to try and have a real contest? Or do you just want it to be an arbitrary thing where anything goes as long as it amuses enough people? No wrong answer, but the two are pretty much mutually exclusive.
I think what's missing here is to have a balance due to practicality. I mean, can we really expect the people to organize this thing to sift through every single anime and make these decisions? And you'd have to have a pretty in-depth understanding of the series to even try and answer these questions. And even that is subject to debate.

There's a case for simply ditching the category of side character, and simply do just male/female "character" There would be no need for interpretation or bias. however I simply do not think it's really worth it in the fear that some other character can be strong in both categories-- and chances if they really are that popular, then they really deserve the double mention.

The problem I see with this argument is the possible suggestion that this vote event is not systematic and based on established precedent based on this one event. I don't think that's very fair, and does a disservice to the people that organize it.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2017-02-06 at 03:46.
Old 2017-02-06, 05:26   Link #26
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think that Rem winning both Lead and Supporting awards feels kinda off.
The issue here is when the winner has won this role in the same series and on the same year. Any real-life comparisons were between different movies and different years.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2017-02-06 at 08:32.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 08:04   Link #27
Liddo-kun
is this so?

As Subaru would say.... VICTORY!!!!
Glad that Rem-chan won. Gonna show some friends in the cos community that Rem won. Well, demon girl is really popular...all her dakimakura are sold out at the convention that I went to yesterday. @.@

Oh, and also glad that Planetarian won. That anime made me cry today.... not kidding....
Really one of the best anime I've watched in 2016, I like it as much as RE:Zero.

Sad that Love Live did not win any thing.. well, I guess Macross had good songs too.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 09:50   Link #28
MCAL

Glad to see Sangatsu win the Ongoing Series Award... It definitely deserves it.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 13:25   Link #29
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think that Rem winning both Lead and Supporting awards feels kinda off.
The issue here is when the winner has won this role in the same series and on the same year. Any real-life comparisons were between different movies and different years.
It feels off. But that alone isn't really a reason to do anything, nor is fear of this irregularity in the future based off of much vibes just seems more like an appeal to fear/consequences. The fact is, it's been 10 years without this kind of problem, and it's up to people to prove that anime has fundamentally changed on a level where it is. Massive casts with many important characters isn't exactly a new thing. And people saw what the choices were and they could see what the consequences were, so it seemed that this wasn't a universal sentiment.

Another thing is that the amount of voters has been decreasing by a good amount since 2011. Now there's many reasons for it, but one of the complaints about barriers to entry has been complexity and I think adding more rules and exceptions will just further exacerbate the problem, especially if the reason for changing things is that one doesn't like the results. It honestly feels like a knee jerk reaction. If it happens in the next few years, then sure we can have a talk about it.

If we should have so much respect for systems and precedents, then clamoring for change the moment something doesn't work (subjectively) and suggesting the system was broken (and not doing it in the past) seems like a contradiction to me.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2017-02-06, 13:53   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Unless some people have stopped voting because they think the rules don't make sense or don't create a real contest.
Old 2017-02-06, 14:13   Link #31
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Sure. But I am not really sure who we are speaking on behalf of.

I mean reasons. Maybe someone stopped voting because they don't like the color scheme. Maybe red isn't a legitimate color for banners. We'll never know.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2017-02-06, 14:50   Link #32
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It feels off. But that alone isn't really a reason to do anything, nor is fear of this irregularity in the future based off of much vibes just seems more like an appeal to fear/consequences.
I'm with Enzo. Make an arbitrary choice. People will deal with it.

Quote:
Another thing is that the amount of voters has been decreasing by a good amount since 2011. Now there's many reasons for it, but one of the complaints about barriers to entry has been complexity
No, the biggest problem is the lack of advertising. I've tried for a few years to get the moderators to run an announcement banner for the Awards during the nomination and voting periods. It's been routinely shot down on the grounds that the Awards are not "official" but something run by members. I finally gave up in exhaustion. (I like the moderators here, but I think this has been a wrong-headed decision from the start.)

So you have to remember that there are Awards each year, or you have to drop by the General Anime forum and see the announcement. That leaves out many many people who might otherwise have voted. Maybe I'll argue again for an advertising banner next year, but I can't promise. Perhaps others can pick up the torch?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-06, 14:57   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'll be happy to push it next year through LiA and my Twitter.

I still want the rules to make sense, tho...
Old 2017-02-06, 15:04   Link #34
Dextro
He Without a Title

I was actually expecting REM to not win anything after getting both nominations. I wouldn't have been surprised if everyone went ahead and voted for their other picks expecting her to have the prizes in the bag. Looks like I was wrong though

On the overall discussion regarding whether allowing REM both nominations was a good or bad idea I'll fully undersign what Archon Wing said: I also believe that this was a rare exception and that we shouldn't really add further complexity to the rules. The rules have, in my opinion, reached the perfect amount complexity to allow this to be fun and not overly cumbersome to those voting so let sleeping dogs lie.

Back to the topic at hand I'm slightly surprised Flip Flappers got the OP/ED award. For me it was a much better contender for the animation category but I understand that its old school approach isn't really what's popular nowadays.

I'm also happy to see Planetarium and Macross Delta getting their awards and off course Sangatsu no Lion. Well deserved win there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
No, the biggest problem is the lack of advertising. I've tried for a few years to get the moderators to run an announcement banner for the Awards during the nomination and voting periods. It's been routinely shot down on the grounds that the Awards are not "official" but something run by members. I finally gave up in exhaustion. (I like the moderators here, but I think this has been a wrong-headed decision from the start.)

So you have to remember that there are Awards each year, or you have to drop by the General Anime forum and see the announcement. That leaves out many many people who might otherwise have voted. Maybe I'll argue again for an advertising banner next year, but I can't promise. Perhaps others can pick up the torch?
I've argued as well to no avail and just resigned myself to try and change my signature to call attention to the vote each year hoping that more people notice it and come here. But that's a discussion I won't get further into.
Old 2017-02-06, 16:26   Link #35
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

K
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm with Enzo. Make an arbitrary choice. People will deal with it.
The arbitary choice was made! It is right there in the nomination thread. Keeping to the status quo is the choice.

We are already in the "deal with it" phase. I didn't double nominate Rem either but the people have spoken and I voted accordingly. I wasn't exactly happy voting against the character in my avatar...

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2017-02-06, 17:14   Link #36
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Well, this list overall had a lot more to it. Issues therein were minor compared to the farcical results that came in from Crunchyroll aka the Yuri on Ice awards, or the numerous other sites which effectively only acknowledged Yuri on Ice, Re: Zero and Mob Psycho 100 as the worthwhile titles from last year.

But my biggest issue is that Your Name wasn't eligible for this list. Despite that, the better spread of titles and the amount of times Rakugo appeared on this list (and I guess in some ways, Erased) probably make it a list that is respectable.
Old 2017-02-06, 17:30   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

In this case, no choice is not a choice.

I know we're all tired of this tempest in a teapot, so I'll drop it. But my last thought is this - just defer to common sense. It just makes no damn sense that a character can be both lead and supporting in the same show - it's counter-intuitive because it's absurd. It's like saying a trap character should be eligible for both gender awards because they're male part of the time and female part of the time. Or are we going to allow that, too?
Old 2017-02-06, 17:42   Link #38
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm just gonna leave this here... there's a lot more to this year then just the No.1.
If you haven't watched some of the others who didn't get first prize, maybe you should.

And if 4 choices per category aren't enough, there's more in nominations: part 1, part 2

With regard to the results.
Not very happy with how Hai to Gensou no Grimgar was dead last in storyline.
Nor how Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm was dead last in sports, but expected that one.
Or how Shirayuki lost to best female lead.
Or how Ikta Solork was last in male lead.

Guess Konosuba winning is all I get.

Ohwell. Year wasn't very strong for me overall anyway.
Old 2017-02-06, 17:44   Link #39
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
In this case, no choice is not a choice.

I know we're all tired of this tempest in a teapot, so I'll drop it. But my last thought is this - just defer to common sense. It just makes no damn sense that a character can be both lead and supporting in the same show - it's counter-intuitive because it's absurd. It's like saying a trap character should be eligible for both gender awards because they're male part of the time and female part of the time. Or are we going to allow that, too?
A trap is male 100% of the time.

Only quick fix to this is combining the two into a "best character" option. There are many characters in a grey zone where there is dispute between what role they play, and it really is best to leave that choice to each individual voters discretion. What matters is Rem was best female character of the year, and the results show. The double-option just allowed a character that played both roles(dependent on arch) throughout the series to be present in both categories, and subsequently win both categories. Combine the two, and problem solved.
Old 2017-02-06, 18:33   Link #40
MCAL

Or better yet guys, be like Subaru and just love Emillia instead.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice awards