AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-07, 06:47   Link #3841
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Lovely Lovely Lovely ending . Exactly as i predicted ( and EARNESTLY HOPED). I was thinking it would be so great, it would be one of the best animes if and only If at the end, Hoshina-san would let him go Which did happen. I loved the Mao x Koichi ending. Also I had hoped Sakino-chan would confess and get rejected in a nice way, with both of them staying friend Which happend. And then i hoped Tanaka and Futami-san would get togehter which they did. Great in every single way. Hoshino-san , I knew she would do that. What a nice character. Also I loved Mao-nechan . She didnt get in their way at all. She was lovely until the end. Just a great anime.

10/10. I could say i liked this anime even more than Kimi ga nozume eine. Best romance anime i have ever watched.
Old 2008-04-07, 12:06   Link #3842
mikoo
Banned

Spoiler for Kimikiss bath towel:

----

. . . .

mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 12:20   Link #3843
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

>_> l want a mao bath towel <_<
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 03:56   Link #3844
kujoe
from head to heel

I just finished watching this series and I must say that it was better than I thought it would be. Well, starting with zero expectations helped I suppose, but I also think that this is one story that is best marathoned in order to grasp a more organic feel for it due to length. Thirteen episodes probably would've been ideal for this series, but I'm not so sure.

Now as far as the ending goes, I do agree more or less with the way how things turn out. The story can be a bit too obvious sometimes though—like an exercise in spotting dramatic irony coming from a mile away. However, I feel a bit short-changed after that quick wrap up. I wanted to see how the gang would respond to all of those developments and then some. I mean, come on! Kouichi breaking off with Yuumi, and now together with Mao? Kazuki and Futami, the icy loner officially together? Such things are bound to be noticed and talked about within a close knit circle of friends. Instead, we get a shot of Yuumi sitting by the fountain staring into nothing until she notices that fireworks are lighting up the sky—which is, by the way, just a sad and downright pitiful image to leave behind in my opinion. And to top it off, all of this on her last day! What perfect timing.

In comparison, Kai and Sakino's final scenes are more hopeful and open despite their seemingly mundane "life goes on" motif. And even though I prefer Sakino over Futami, I think her side of the story ends rather well. Actually, if there ever was a character I felt sorry for, it was her.

All in all, a good drama for the most part, but I think the ending needs to be a bit longer than that.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 10:16   Link #3845
YunaX

The show ended infront of me moments ago. And I have nothing else to say but a fantastic romance drama.

The show started with a fresh new idea, something unexpected from a romance story unlike the others. As the story develops, it reminds us(me at least) our lovely high school life and all those silly and yet unforgettable memories. Honestly I had someone I admire, and the show just take me back to the time, good times.

The characters line-up is one of the most attracting thing I have to see in the show. Each character possess different characteristic to help create a better impact to the viewers. Thought Kuriu and some others came in late, but still that doesn't effect on the flow.

Honestly, I purchased the game after watching ep13; and after playing it for several times, I have to say that the plot in the show is better narrated and probably better than the game. For those who played the game may realize the differences of the girls' behaviour between two media. However, again, it is nicely played.

After being touched and suffered from nostalgia for a few times, I have to say that the ending isn't what I really wanted (maybe I'm a Hosh1n0 fanboy), but still, sweet and heart catching end that enough to kill someone emotional like me.

Kimikiss may be a normal high-school friendship romance drama if you haven't watched. But like the wise said, never judge a book from its cover; This is a fantastic drama with good plot flow and strong characters. I recommend this to whoever out there, was or still in relationship with your significant half.

I'll give this show a 9.3 score ouf of 10.

Peace out~
YunaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 16:00   Link #3846
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Meanwhile I'm back to playing the game. In fact the first time I played it 2 years ago I missed a lot. Many episodes come as a surprise to me. In the anime you could hardly see the real Hoshino despite her getting quite some screen time. Surely they used the beach scene but everything from nakayoshi path was left behind.

For those who like Hoshino, you can check this ending spoiler, where you actually stay with her:
Spoiler:

Shot from my tv, you could also watch the spoilerific video sometime back at youtube and niconico.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 17:16   Link #3847
Lego

*pokes his head in*

Oh, I remember this place!

Anyway, Kouichi was pretty much living a lie for most of the series in his mind. You can't be that devoted towards Mao mentally, and not neglect poor Yuumi. He had feelings for Yuumi as his crush, they got along well, and I imagine when they meet again in a few years time they'll be good friends much like in Suzuka. It was painfully obvious through the whole series that his heart and mind was with Mao, vice versa as well. His real feelings were for Mao, big time. I think the problem they had was that Mao went through pretty much an emotional and mental breakdown during the series because of her love for Kouichi. Kouichi kept telling himself "I have Yuumi, I have Yuumi, I have Yuumi" until he finally broke down realizing that Mao left him again when she moved, hence what Kai said to him. Both Kai and Yuumi knew of Kouichi and Mao's feelings for each other.

But yeah, it would be interesting to see Kaz, Eriko, the Udon twins, Mitsuki, and others react to Kouichi and Mao being together finally. Kouichi's mom would be the fun one to see her reaction, but I imagine she knew. Kaz knew, Mitsuki knew, and I'm sure Eriko wouldn't be to surprised. Even though it was a quick "out ending", from the series, what Kouichi said to Mao, how Mao reacted to him, then Mao going up for the second kiss on her own, I can imagine that they're happily together(family, etc.) as they complete each other. It would be interesting to have a spin off series with Kaz and Eriko's kid as well as Kouichi and Mao's .
Lego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 20:31   Link #3848
Eric10301

From the beginning I wanted Kouichi and Mao to end up together and I was genuinely worried they weren't, much more so then any other romance anime I've ever watched. This anime was actually difficult to watch at times because I was so engrossed in it and unhappy at the though of them not ending up together. Its kind of hard to explain but it all ended perfectly in my opinion and is probably on my list of the best romance finales ever.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 22:14   Link #3849
Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10301 View Post
From the beginning I wanted Kouichi and Mao to end up together and I was genuinely worried they weren't, much more so then any other romance anime I've ever watched. This anime was actually difficult to watch at times because I was so engrossed in it and unhappy at the though of them not ending up together. Its kind of hard to explain but it all ended perfectly in my opinion and is probably on my list of the best romance finales ever.
I agree and thats how I watched the last episode and the proceeding couple before it. Ask around or search through the thread to see how crazy I got. I was a huge Kouichi and Mao fan not to be "right" or to "gain points", because I genuinely liked them as characters and it was plain to see that they loved each other a lot.

You don't know how great the ending was to see Kouichi run after Mao, confess to her the same way she did to him, stand his ground, tell her his real feelings in that he was lying to himself as well as her and Yuumi, then going with what instantly reminded Mao of them as kids when he says "I won't hurt you, let you cry, or be alone again!". Of course Mao turns her back and instantly remembers the emotional pain she went through with the "you won't hurt me?"(you can hear it in her voice), "you always make me think about you and..", but Kouichi knows what he wants and walks right up to her. He puts his hands on Mao's shoulders, looks right in her eyes and tells her "I love you, Mao-neechan", as if to remove any doubt. Mao is of course stunned for a second, but responds with a "Me, too" before wiping her tears on his hand and saying "I love you too, Kouichi!", then both go right in for the kiss.

Fireworks start, Mao and Kouichi share a real quick deep look, when we come back to them at the end with Mao's head on Kouichi's shoulder with hands helf/arms locked. She lifts her head to look and smile at him, zoom in on Kouichi's smiling face looking right at Mao, then we get a shot of Mao's "glowing" face looking right at Kouichi before she goes up, eyes closed for that second "tippy toe" kiss. End of series.

Thats how quickly I can still remember that finale, it was great and I heartily agree with you. The way they were acting with each other there, finally able to get their feelings out I imagine that they went to Mao's apartment or Kouichi's house after. Theres no way they'd let each other go the rest of the night after all of that. Not even ten minutes in as a couple and you have two kisses and they're inseparable heh. They obviously decided to stay on the bridge at that point and watch the fireworks together and Mao put her head on Kouichi's shoulder while they held hands/locked arms. The nice little attention to detail is that Mao's hair is still on his shoulder when she lifts her head up to kiss him, meaning they were almost on top of each other heh. This was something that they were both obviously waiting years for and they look amazing together as a couple, it was nice to see that "gush of feelings" finally come out with that kiss and confession, then Mao knowing exactly what she wants with that second "tip toe" kiss to Kouichi.
Old 2008-04-10, 00:57   Link #3850
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego View Post
But yeah, it would be interesting to see Kaz, Eriko, the Udon twins, Mitsuki, and others react to Kouichi and Mao being together finally. Kouichi's mom would be the fun one to see her reaction, but I imagine she knew. Kaz knew, Mitsuki knew, and I'm sure Eriko wouldn't be to surprised. Even though it was a quick "out ending", from the series, what Kouichi said to Mao, how Mao reacted to him, then Mao going up for the second kiss on her own, I can imagine that they're happily together(family, etc.) as they complete each other. It would be interesting to have a spin off series with Kaz and Eriko's kid as well as Kouichi and Mao's .
I don't think any of them realize what has been going on between Kouichi and Mao. Certainly not Kazuki, who spends most of his time in the story caught up with his own personal struggle. Futami does share a brief heart-to-heart talk with Mao, but it's devoid of specifics, and for Futami in particular that talk only serves to help her realize Sakino's feelings for Kazuki. The only ones who truly know what has been going on are (of course) Yuumi and Kai.

Personally, I really would like to see a proper epilogue to the series. Like some people, I kind of had a feeling where the ending would be going, so naturally seeing what comes after would have been a more satisfying payoff after all the drama the story goes through—at least for me anyway. Now I may sound like some overdemanding viewer, but hey... After all is said and done, I just want to have my cake and eat it.

As for the possible reaction of Kouichi's mother, I can see two possibilities. Either it's going to be a "WHAT?" or a "I knew it all along."

On another note, this series needs to show more of Hiiragi/Kuryuu—possibly the most fun pair to watch in this show even though their hook-up comes out of nowhere.
Old 2008-04-10, 03:48   Link #3851
Lego

The DVD only episode will focus on Megumi and her relationship with Akira early on in the series, so you have that. I suffered enough through the series hoping and wishing for a Kouichi and Mao couple so part of me "doesn't want to tempt fate" at the end. We talked about pacing for the longest time in that some believed that Kouichi should of broke up with Yuumi at the end of 23, ended it with him with his head in his hands, and etc.

Still it's fine the way it's since it shows some progression and that it just wasn't a snap decision when it came to Kouichi's thought pattern. As for those who knew, I think Kouichi's mom would go "I knew it" because of Mao coming back, the way Mao acted, and Mao moving without really telling anyone. Kouichi's mom knows more then she lets on. I said that Kaz knew because while they're filming the movie they all stare at Kouichi and Mao with this huge shock on their face. I imagine that upon meeting Kouichi and Mao while with Eriko he'd pull a similiar "REALLY?, ah, I knew it all along". Mitsuki was the one that seemed to know the most outside of Kai and Yuumi. I imagine out of everyone the udon girls would make the biggest fuss.

I think what it's is that we sat through 24 episodes of great characters, great development, gut wrenching moments and we just want to see more. We want to see more of how these characters finally able to get their real feelings out interact, what happens with Kouichi and Mao, Eriko and Kaz, and Megumi and Akira. I'm personally satisfied with the ending as some may see it as incomplete but for me it's final. Theres no way after what Kouichi said to Mao, then Mao's reaction plus her going in for the second kiss that in the future they'll be a happily married couple. The same goes for Kaz and Eriko(what a kid that would be). But then again I could see the use for some "extra footage" at the end but it would just be icing on the cake.
Old 2008-04-11, 14:20   Link #3852
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego View Post

I think what it's is that we sat through 24 episodes of great characters, great development, gut wrenching moments and we just want to see more. We want to see more of how these characters finally able to get their real feelings out interact, what happens with Kouichi and Mao, Eriko and Kaz, and Megumi and Akira. I'm personally satisfied with the ending as some may see it as incomplete but for me it's final. Theres no way after what Kouichi said to Mao, then Mao's reaction plus her going in for the second kiss that in the future they'll be a happily married couple. The same goes for Kaz and Eriko(what a kid that would be). But then again I could see the use for some "extra footage" at the end but it would just be icing on the cake.
I feel kind of empty right now. True tears and kimikiss were my addiction. This season none of the new shows have me excited. Only shows that i am a little interested in are macross and code geass. I doubt that I will be enthralled to a show like I was to kimikiss. Production I.G and JC staff don't have anything to offer this season, and those are my favorite studios. I guess Code geass will and Macross will have to keep me interested till Haruhi and Gundam new season come back.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 14:52   Link #3853
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Golthin, tried Vampire Knight yet? Some see it as their replacement for KimiKiss and/or True Tears, yours truly included.

BTW Lego, exactly how many posts do you have in this thread? You can check by hovering your mouse over the icon to the left of the title, in the fansubbed section.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 15:12   Link #3854
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
I feel kind of empty right now. True tears and kimikiss were my addiction. This season none of the new shows have me excited. Only shows that i am a little interested in are macross and code geass. I doubt that I will be enthralled to a show like I was to kimikiss. Production I.G and JC staff don't have anything to offer this season, and those are my favorite studios. I guess Code geass will and Macross will have to keep me interested till Haruhi and Gundam new season come back.
Doesn't Production I.G. have both Real Drive and Toshokan Sensou? I have no idea what they're about, though.
J.C. has Nabari no Ou, but I'm assuming you're not interested.

And should I pick up this series if I enjoyed True Tears?
I've also actually been pondering which of the three J.C. Staff romances to start out with first (Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover, this.), so would KimiKiss be a good choice?

@DragoonKain3: Lego has 382.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 15:36   Link #3855
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
And should I pick up this series if I enjoyed True Tears?
I've also actually been pondering which of the three J.C. Staff romances to start out with first (Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover, this.), so would KimiKiss be a good choice?
For me kimikiss >>>>>> TT

And whats more, this series is actually one of those rare romances where I don't want to kill the male lead, sorry but I did strangle Shin ^^.

And so far this season has been good for me, plenty of female romances for a change

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 15:59   Link #3856
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile are also both good. In fact, better than Kimikiss in my opinion. Same director too if I'm not mistaken.

They're actually pretty comparable with one another. Both are set in an art and humanities university, and both tell the stories behind the relationships within a group of friends. However, if you prefer a more light-hearted and funny experience, choose Nodame Cantabile. Honey and Clover is more of the soap opera variety even though it has a healthy dose of comedy as well.

Personally, I'd go with H&C then Nodame based on my current mood, and if wasn't for the fact that I watched those two long ago, I'd probably start with Kimikiss first.
Old 2008-04-11, 17:28   Link #3857
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post

And whats more, this series is actually one of those rare romances where I don't want to kill the male lead, sorry but I did strangle Shin ^^.
Nice, I haven't not wanted to kill the male lead since Strawberry Panic!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
<snip>
Personally, I'd go with H&C then Nodame based on my current mood, and if wasn't for the fact that I watched those two long ago, I'd probably start with Kimikiss first.
Ehh, I'll go with that, then!
Thanks!

EDIT: Yay for Rie Tanaka and ehh, Ami Koshimizu.
Mamiko Noto is only a side character though.

Can someone comment on the animation quality of KimiKiss?
I'm debating whether or not to torrent it for full quality or to watch it streaming.

The last series I torrented in full was ef ~ a tale of memories, but I'm assuming KimiKiss' animation isn't quite on that level.

Last edited by qtipbrit; 2008-04-11 at 17:51.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 21:49   Link #3858
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

IMO, Honey and Clover > Nodame Cantabile > KimiKiss >>>>>>> True Tears. But really, it depends on what you currently want to watch.

Honey and Clover is when you're up for a very realistic portrayal of adult relationships, be it romantic or (more often in this case) just being friendly.

Nodame Cantabile is for the wacky characters and a dose of comedy, with romance having the least focus of the three shows.

KimiKiss is if you're into basically light-hearted love triangles, as the show especially focuses on that.

Closest one to True Tears would be KimiKiss though.

As for the video quality, I personally wouldn't watch anything on streaming sites. That said, KimiKiss's video is really nothing worth writing home about, and the main hook (the story) isn't affected at all by the video. Well the facial expressions are actually a very big part on how they tell the story (big difference from most anime), so hopefully you can see them clearly enough on stream sites. And hopefully you can find those that have the actual aspect ratio correct; the ones I'm currently seeing has it all wrong and the characters looks definitely weird.

As for the seiyuus, despite the star studded cast, I still think that Ikezawa wins the best performance award for this show. And no, that's not my bias speaking; I truly thought she brought Mao's character to life... from sadness to joy, and laughter to tears, and especially playful to depressed, she really showcased the many different phases of Mao.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 21:51   Link #3859
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I highly agree with you, though at the end of the day i'm going to choose a series directed by Kenichi Kasai over a lot of shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Golthin, tried Vampire Knight yet? Some see it as their replacement for KimiKiss and/or True Tears, yours truly included.
What?

Just what?
Old 2008-04-11, 21:54   Link #3860
Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

BTW Lego, exactly how many posts do you have in this thread? You can check by hovering your mouse over the icon to the left of the title, in the fansubbed section.
Someone already answered, but a lot. I'm kind of in this quasi "slump" when it comes to anime now keeping an eye on Kure-nai, Real Drive, and Library Wars but kind of half heartily. Nothing really catches my attention as I'm still hung over from last season and Kimikiss. At least the good news is that I'm finally able to put this series away mentally with the occasional "flare up" from thinking about something or about it. A big part of that for me is that it ended happily(well for me it did), so I can put it mentally to rest after freaking out for six months.

Geass and Frontier are the two popular shows this season, so I'm content to watch from the sidelines and just monitor two short shows in Library and Kure-nai. That and anything getting released in R1 land, sports, and video games so I have enough to keep me busy.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, enterbrain, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, shounen