Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-14, 02:40   Link #1
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Weak main character

My very first suggestion thread! I'm looking for anime or manga of any year or episode/chapter count that feature leads of any gender who put on a facade of being strong while actually having no power at all. Highschool and magic settings help a lot. Good examples would be Tsukune from R+V and Kuzumi from Mx0.
Old 2010-04-14, 15:17   Link #2
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Your thread interests me. I can't really think of ANY my own, just the typical weak lead character but later either gains epic power or has an epic hidden power.

Looking forward to suggestions as well! :D

~friendly thread bump~
Old 2010-04-14, 19:55   Link #3
NoLongerSane

Best bet would be Inuyasha and the episodes/chapters where he loses his half-demon powers on a new full moon. He is still a capable fighter but gets his butt handed to him due to his opponents being demons or having augmented powers that his half-demon power would be an equalizer.
Old 2010-04-14, 20:04   Link #4
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Natsume Yuujinchou should be a pretty good example...

Seto no Hanayome weakeast of all during the whole show but a short but epic moment xD

Shakugan no Shana been a weakling for a long time and even after discovering his powers, he is still but a mere container of that power and cant hold a candle against any of his enemies.

To-LOVE-Ru cant be more pateticly weak and lame than this guy...
Old 2010-04-14, 21:12   Link #5
fukarming

These character certainly have some power, but they surely act bigger than their real power/ strength

Parn - Record of Lodoss War

I have no clue why Parn acts like the leader of the group, other than his "occupation" being "the hero". He is certainly the weakest in the whole group. (Base on the OVA)

Sakuragi - Slam Dunk

Although Sakuragi is technically the rival of Rukawa, he is no match of Rukawa in terms of basketball skills and yet he keeps saying he is the genius.

Souichiro Nagi - Tenjo Tenge

He acts big until he meet the other casts in the story and get owned.
Old 2010-04-14, 21:22   Link #6
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Natsume Yuujinchou should be a pretty good example...
Natsume isn't weak, dude... He beats youkai with a single punch... He's one of the most powerful characters in the series... There's a difference between 'weak' and 'nice guy'.
Old 2010-04-15, 01:14   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Souichiro isn't exactly weak either :P Still, thanks for the suggestions, I'll be reading most of them (and watching one). What interests me the most in the kind I asked for is the measures people take so that others won't find out about their own powerlessness, like how Tsukune survived as a mere human in a school of monsters that feared him until late in the first manga. To say it a little better, all heroes these days have one or another kind of power, so I'm looking for the ones that have none but still have to act tough and make others think they do.
Old 2010-04-15, 03:26   Link #8
Boduar

I think the manga "Angel Densetsu" might work for you. Its a school delinquent manga and main characters biggest advantage is basically an illusion lol. Hes not completely defenseless (neither was main char in MxO, didnt read R.V.) but hes definitely hyped as being much much stronger than he really is.
Old 2010-04-15, 06:46   Link #9
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'd say needless should fit as type of series, though I don't Cruz ever putting on such a facade. Though one of the characters in the second episode could maybe viewed as doing such a facade.
MAL
Old 2010-04-15, 19:03   Link #10
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Hmm i see... maybe..?

Toaru Majutsu no Index... it is more similar to Mx0 than R+V ...