AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-03-10, 18:11   Link #8261
Hata
時の異邦人

I do want to comment on the so call "Negi's Choice", if there is ever one. Canonrap was right, this is an ambigious ending that is open to each's interpretation.

Spoiler:

as to the truth? only Ken knew, and we can pick the solution we like, which is what an open ending is all about. you can pick the bad end and torture yourself, or you can pick the good end and sleep on it. so what are you, S or M?

PS
the biggest thing for me is not Negi's choice, or the unexpected guest, but
Spoiler:
gaiden materials abound.

Last edited by Hata; 2012-03-10 at 18:29.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 18:16   Link #8262
com_gwp

I'm somewhat amazed it ended. I still remember starting it in middle school. Hugely disappointing ending. Wish he'd had at least given a resolution to who he ends up with, not this open ending bullshit.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 18:17   Link #8263
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

why did he rush the ending anyway?
Old 2012-03-10, 18:18   Link #8264
ZODDGUTS

Dat rushed ending. Wow.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 18:31   Link #8265
Sumeragi
Banned

Comprehensive feelings: I like the ending. No really, I like the ending as a whole. Despite all the loose ends, Akamatsu managed to finish the story on a relatively clean note. That I have to give it to him.

What I don't like as a fangirl are the ambiguouity of the Konoka/Setsuna situation (I mean seriously, couldn't you have done something a bit more revealing, Ken-san?) and what became of Chisame (come on, that's too cruel a fate for a cute girl like her, she deserves better).

Still, overall, it was a satisfactory ending. I would have to say my basic faith in him did not suffer.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 18:35   Link #8266
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
What I don't like as a fangirl are the ambiguouity of the Konoka/Setsuna situation (I mean seriously, couldn't you have done something a bit more revealing, Ken-san?)
I doubt he could have made it less ambiguous. Remember that as a shounen manga, it has to abide to the "Tokyo Metropolitan Ordinance Regarding the Healthy Development of Youths" law.
Old 2012-03-10, 18:44   Link #8267
edgelesspigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
4. No real need to explain this, except the "promise" between the Twilight Princess and "Asuna". To begin with, despite being a fake personality, she is borderline stronger than a normal one.
5. Magia Erebea effect were only left to speculation for the characters, so it isn't surprising Negi become immortal-like, but still mortal in the end. After all, the transformation process wasn't the same as Eva's.
8. Not really necessary since it was hinted long before that Konoka would just need more power. Since it was already shown quickly in the different timeline portion, it is "covered". The question wasn't "if they will manage it", but rather "when".

That said, we can also add others points:
-Master of the Gravekeepers' Palace
-Actual origin and motives of the Lifemaker (after all, we only know Kosmo Entelecheia objective. LM objective was probably different before he settled mars, before warping into the way he became I think).
-Original plan of the Megalomesembria senate (since it was heavy implied by Kurt that the senate were the ones behind Hermann's group attack)
-Demon's cast (Hermann, Mana's origins, and especially Zazie and her sister)
-Chao's actual plight (world crisis hardly matches Mana's description of "it happens all the time")
-Chizuru's involvement to Negi's heavy schedule (since it was the reason why she got a pactio)
-Satsuki's real involvement regarding Magic stuff (unless Akamatsu was just doing some red herring)
-Fuka and Fumika's pactio

There are probably more loose ends in the lot.
Well, these still haven't been answered. Plus, some of mine aren't answered as well:
1. Negi's father, where he is, what does he have to do with the Lifemaker (is he possessed by the Lifemaker?)
2. The Lifemaker (What happened to him? Is he still alive? Did Negi and Asuna kill him with that sword slash (very anti-climatic if so)? Where is he?)

The closest we get to an answer for these two is just that Nagi's been "freed" from the Lifemaker thanks to Nagi and his comrades. No explanation as to why Nagi asked Negi to kill him, though.

3. What happened to and where is Arika?
4. The origin of Ako's scar?
edgelesspigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 18:50   Link #8268
ShiroiRyu

Oh man ...
Natsumi will be married with our wolf guy. ^^
Old 2012-03-10, 18:53   Link #8269
edgelesspigeon

Oh, and we never got to find out who Negi was interested in. In the popular webcomic "8-bit Theater", the character Black Mage says "That's it, I've had enough. This whole g-----n adventure has been nothing but pointless build ups toward pay offs that never happen." I think this can also be applied to Negima. The difference is, in "8-bit Theater", it's humorous and a major theme of the webcomic, and plot points still end up resolved by the end of the story. Not so with Negima.
edgelesspigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 19:04   Link #8270
amasposu

I expected this kind of ending ever since chapter 1: Negi doesn't end up with anyone.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 19:12   Link #8271
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Lets use a point ranking system for this finale, we will start with 0 points:
+1 Pretty color first page
+3 adult Nodoka is lovely
-10 NAGI OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE!
+1 Nagi being Nagi
-1 The twins are the biggest sluts in the series now
-20 Nagi rescued off screen
-15 Nodoka end denied hard
+5 Implied marriage between Konoka and Setsuna
+2 Long haired Ako is <3
+2 Holy shit the twins turned out pretty hot after all
-15 HOW DARE YOU TURN CHISAME FULL HIKKI AKAMATSU! OVER THE FUCKING LINE!
+5 Chachamaru was getting wound up by Negi daily
+2 Eva lives on happily
-10 No mention of Negi's mother
-10 No mention of who that other girl who looked related to Negi in MW was
-10 No mention on who the one Negi liked was (no it wasnt Yue)
-10 Everything else left unexplained that at this point I cant think about

Overall: -80

I had this manga at 9/10, dropping it to 8/10 because it managed to be a great manga for 90% of its run. Also a big congratulations to Ken Akamatsu, sir...you managed to create an ending to a manga even shittier than CLAMP, that takes skill right there. If you are planning some form of sequel of spin-off that will cover the missing content then I will be more forgiving of this, but if not...well

SCREW YOU KEN AKAMATSU!
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 19:18   Link #8272
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I didn't like how it ended. To be honest, for a manga that run for so long I was expecting to have a proper closure. Like somebody already said, the end felt like it was rushed and some of the scenes are just plain ridiculous. I hope there's more...and did they ever say who Negi ended up to? Or is he bound to be a bachelor forever?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 19:21   Link #8273
Freeter
beyond

Spoiler for final:
Old 2012-03-10, 19:28   Link #8274
ZeroForever

in general while i don't agree on all of game8910 points i do agree it to meh as i've said elsewhere this feels like a suikoden ending where all you get is snippets of the characters.

but unlike those it still left major plot points open and but still it didn't tell you squat on how it transpired...

though kurt implied marrying hakase was a WTF moment if i saw one.
Old 2012-03-10, 19:40   Link #8275
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

The rush job sucked big time, but honestly I really liked the last chapter itself. I don't even mind that Negi didn't end up with any of the girls, they all stayed great friends and that's enough for me.

It's a shame we didn't see the Lifemaker fight, but I was really happy to see that Negi got to free Nagi and have his dad back. Warmed the heart to see them laughing together, bickering over silly stuff and just being a family.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 19:53   Link #8276
Xion Valkyrie

Maybe there will be some 'after stories' that fill in the gap. Like with the Love Hina stuff.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 20:01   Link #8277
Sheep_

About the whole Chisame thing didn't anyone else feel like it was kinda out of character due to all the development she had?

Like in the mini arc before all this she was getting bored of updating her site because it wasn't giving her the same thrill. Plus she wanted to help Negi more / be his right hand person like she was during the MW arc.

It makes no sense for her to become a shut in worse then what she was at the start of the manga after she finally stops caring so much about the online world.
Old 2012-03-10, 20:01   Link #8278
karuroso

Akamatsu is now on my personal list of authors I shouldn't never follow ever again
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 20:03   Link #8279
Divini
Senpai!

For the most part, I liked the ending a lot. Pretty much how I expected it to end.

The major thing that bothers me is that it seemed like an entire story arc was offscreen. Also, what happened to Arika?
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 20:05   Link #8280
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

In a sense, KA didn't lie that we're going to get a good ending. However, the fact that he choose this way to conclude some sub-plots is a bit....disappointing

Quote:
Also, what happened to Arika?
Maybe died or something to make some hopes for those who are cheering for Nagi x Eva

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy