AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky☆Star - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 197 43.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 127 28.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 72 16.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 3.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.67%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.22%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 1.33%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-26, 00:49   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Monty Python's television series (which was hugely popular in the US amongst the same age groups that enjoy anime now) .... often made no sense at all unless you knew something about British Politics and Society, but then it had enough raw comedy and slapstick absurdity that even "the peasants" could laugh at some of it. That's why I compare L*S to it on occasion: I'd guess about half or more of Lucky*Star was approachable without knowing a thing about Japan though it required some familiarity with American styles of comedy (Seinfeld, Marx Brothers, comedy duos (e.g. Burns&Allen), Peanuts, etc).

Sadly, a lot of time was spent early this year explaining American comedy to americans by some of the posters in this forum.

I'll plead a bit of aggravation because we periodically get someone asserting via post that L*S will never get licensed because its "unapproachable" ... all the while Pani Poni Dash (a much more heavily layered mess of in-jokes, japanese references, wild comedy, and absurdism) is happily being sold at fine outlets and websites in the US.
Old 2007-10-26, 17:24   Link #82
JustInn14
moo

Quote:
(or lucky shit in 4chan)

Don't forget What thy call "The MElancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" Yeah, that place is insane!

Last edited by JustInn14; 2007-10-27 at 02:07. Reason: Reverting kind of. ;) :)
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 06:38   Link #83
otacu
Flag forever

Not to my taste. The loli design of the characters really bothered me and the humor was completely off killing my enjoyment. The characters were unimaginative... especially Miyuki and Tsukasa. I guess this is what forced moe is all about. Tsukasa was the best of the group.
I wasn't able to watch the whole thing but i guess it's normal since you should watch till the end only the shows you like. No point in watching a show made of boring jokes. There are much better parodies show out there.
Vote: Bad.
otacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 13:17   Link #84
Misunne

Best anime I have seen so far. I just love the humor in it. The first three episodes could be bether, and the animation too, but I vote 10 cause I just love this anime xD
Misunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 13:27   Link #85
Kabi
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacu View Post
Not to my taste. The loli design of the characters really bothered me and the humor was completely off killing my enjoyment. The characters were unimaginative... especially Miyuki and Tsukasa. I guess this is what forced moe is all about. Tsukasa was the best of the group.
I wasn't able to watch the whole thing but i guess it's normal since you should watch till the end only the shows you like. No point in watching a show made of boring jokes. There are much better parodies show out there.
Vote: Bad.
at least someone saying something coherent
Kabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 13:58   Link #86
JustInn14
moo

To me, there are only 4 "Real" lolicon girls in the show/anime/japanese animated production, whatever.

Should I tell you which ones?! lolz

If you want to see REAL $(-)!%, go ahead and watch cheesey shows on cartoon nothing-to-watch network ! lolz

Last edited by JustInn14; 2007-10-28 at 14:06. Reason: information!
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 14:22   Link #87
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabi View Post
at least someone saying something coherent
If you really have to, you can find a few people that shares the same opinion as you do on this thread alone... but saying that we aren't saying something "coherent" is stretching things a bit too far.

Last edited by MaxwellDemon; 2007-10-28 at 17:03.
MaxwellDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 18:45   Link #88
Kabi
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellDemon View Post
If you really have to, you can find a few people that shares the same opinion as you do on this thread alone... but saying that we aren't saying something "coherent" is stretching things a bit too far.
for me is incoherent that u like lucky star i already told everything i had to i just can think how can u think that lucky star is funny and great and everything that u say
Old 2007-10-28, 18:51   Link #89
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
for me is incoherent that u like lucky star i already told everything i had to i just can think how can u think that lucky star is funny and great and everything that u say
Whoa, easy there.
We just said it seems funny that judging by your usual taste that you didn't find Lucky Star funny, and that is okay. So, we leave it at that.

Unless you haven't realize it, your opinion is solely your's and we respect that... but to call our liking "incoherent" just due to your own personal taste... I find it stretching it a bit too far.

Edit: While you are here, this is a Lucky Star section. The series is far from over, so any people who DIDN'T like it would have long left unless they just started to watch it. So, you'll bound to encounter a thick density of people who actually enjoyed this series. Having that said, the people posting here aren't all die-hard Lucky Star fans, we just enjoyed the show for what it is. That's that.
Old 2007-10-28, 20:18   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It looks like the coherency thing may be over-rated...

On a separate note, I am beginning to wonder if we ought to start issuing glossaries and dictionaries. Since we're basically discussing a "large head cartoon character design", I suppose Peanuts and many comics are too "?loli?" for some.
The design is faithful to the manga design and it's been pointed out that only three characters (Kona, her mom, and Yutaka) are actualy "loli" as commonly defined.
Old 2007-10-29, 01:08   Link #91
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacu View Post
There are much better parodies show out there.
If you viewed it as simply a parody show and nothing more, I completely understand why you didn't like L*S. Despite the number of references (excluding the large amount of non-anime references; many of those were pointed out by AVPlaya), I'd like to think it was more than that... but to each his or her own.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 02:09   Link #92
Judik
Oha-lucky!

I put it perfect ten =)
As I like Suzumia Haruhi, so I liked the Lucky Star ))
Very funny, funny parody ))
And Konata otaku is excellent x)
Judik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 02:25   Link #93
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Speaking of loli, i don't really think Lucky Star should be labelled simply because of its character designs. It's one of the cleanest late night anime you can find out there, virtually no what so-called fanservice and panty shots. It's pure fun and full of cultural references.

Last edited by GoldAlchemist; 2007-10-29 at 02:38.
GoldAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 06:15   Link #94
Kabi
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellDemon View Post
Whoa, easy there.
We just said it seems funny that judging by your usual taste that you didn't find Lucky Star funny, and that is okay. So, we leave it at that.

Unless you haven't realize it, your opinion is solely your's and we respect that... but to call our liking "incoherent" just due to your own personal taste... I find it stretching it a bit too far.

Edit: While you are here, this is a Lucky Star section. The series is far from over, so any people who DIDN'T like it would have long left unless they just started to watch it. So, you'll bound to encounter a thick density of people who actually enjoyed this series. Having that said, the people posting here aren't all die-hard Lucky Star fans, we just enjoyed the show for what it is. That's that.
i know it im not trying to be agresive im just saying that from my point of view it doesnt make sense that someone can like it i dont see anything good in this anime

but allways talking from my own point of view...
because i dont see anything good or funny i dont think its coherent to like it... maybe u liked it ok its ur "problem" =p
Old 2007-10-29, 06:24   Link #95
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
i know it im not trying to be agresive im just saying that from my point of view it doesnt make sense that someone can like it i dont see anything good in this anime

because i dont see anything good or funny i dont think its coherent to like it... maybe u liked it ok its ur "problem" =p
Well, okay... I guess then we can't see why didn't you like it with your choices of anime either... which we already established.

Anyway, I am not going to reply to the next one (if there is one). We went a bit off-topic.
Old 2007-11-07, 03:14   Link #96
Hammy
slice of life otaku

Quote:
This series really isn't for me, nor should it be for those outside of japan, as we really cannot relate to such things, it's the same as being a person who laughs at jokes they don't catch.
there are so many things in Lucky Star that the characters do/say that cross language/cultural barriers that most of us also do in our day to day lives, and can relate to very easily, (Miyuki's fear of the dentist, Konata not liking sports because it screws up her tv schedule, Tsukasa's absent-mindedness, Konata's study habits, etc) so if failed to get a single joke in L*S, you probably never leave your house
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 18:00   Link #97
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
there are so many things in Lucky Star that the characters do/say that cross language/cultural barriers that most of us also do in our day to day lives, and can relate to very easily, (Miyuki's fear of the dentist, Konata not liking sports because it screws up her tv schedule, Tsukasa's absent-mindedness, Konata's study habits, etc) so if failed to get a single joke in L*S, you probably never leave your house
Those aren't really jokes though, at least to me. They were more of slice-of-life moments.

Some of the parts I laughed at were Tsukasa's one-shotter lines like 'shigo ga ooitte iwareruyo, demo sonnano kankei nei!' and other archaic/off-radar sayings. They weren't confined to just Tsukasa, but she tended to fire them off most often. That's why it seems she doesn't tend to be very popular over here, at least compared to Konata and Kagami who has a more global appeal, yet Tsukasa is pretty high in the otaku charts in Japan.

It's kind of awkward because none of my friends laugh and I'm rolling on the floor or worse the first time.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 12:32   Link #98
Allamanda
Kiyu Fan

If one condemned Lucky Star for having pedophiliac characters, he/she would have a big problem with watching nowadays anime (as much as Lucky Star did it to a stronger extent). I really don't like this crappy tendency, not did I, however, mind lucky star in the least because it didn't come off a lolita-oriented one for some reason.

I'm pretty sure this series would be a lot less interesting if it weren't for this design, and that's the main reason why I'm totally indifferent to the original manga universe, or some products.

My rate is a 7/10 (if I didn't hate any lucky channel or Shiraishi sequence, it's an 8).
Allamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 08:46   Link #99
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:

It's genre interests. If you aren't interested in these kind of things, it won't appeal to you. If I didn't like the genre that you liked, the anime that you like wouldn't appeal to me.
We just need to compare this to something you like. For instance, if I said that it doesn't make sense that you like the certain anime you liked, you'd be offended. It made sense to you, but here's some random person saying that you don't make sense and that this anime isn't good, because that person doesn't see anything good in the anime. Some of us find this anime appealing, and some of us don't, but someone calling one side illogical because they don't conform to that person's interests is, in my opinion, incoherent.

So go ahead and list an anime that you like. For demonstration purposes, I'll show you what you're saying.

Edit: As for the anime that you thought were better than Lucky Star, as I said before, it was a matter of opinion.

For example, Hayate no Gotoku is boring due to all the forced comedy in it. It strains to make people laugh, yet I only chuckle at one thing per episode, if at all. The characters are so predictable, especially from J.C.Staff. The tsundere, the overly complacent agreeable character, the smart background character, among other things. There's nothing actually going on in that anime but a random collection of ideas that don't string together. If you like it, you don't make any sense and are completely illogical.

Of course, this may or may not be my opinion about the anime, but I want you to understand that that's what you're saying. Some people may like the randomness of Hayate no Gotoku, but some might not. Some might like the characters [I do, but that's beside the point], and some might not. But calling someone illogical because they don't agree with you is illogical in itself because preference is so subjective.

Edit: I can't believe I typed this much [it's a lot for me!] about this.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 09:49   Link #100
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

My before and after feelings of the series: Unique animation style may put some off, but has it's own merit. Plot and script will draw comparisons to Azumanga Daioh, but Lucky Star, ends up with it's own sort of feel. Female, hardcore Otaku seems to be the basis of the Anime, but ends up starring two characters.

Lucky Star ended up being a very enjoyable series. The themes and characters are unique but ordinary at the same time. Lucky Star is generally going to be what you expect it to be, but your reaction to it may be different than what you expect.

The Animation - The animation irked me at first, but after watching an episode and getting used to the colors and style, I think the animation is one of Lucky Stars' strongest points.
When I first looked at some pictures of LS, like other users have pointed out, I thought the characters looked too loli for High School age. Even while rewatching LS, the thought goes through my mind that these characters could pass as elementary girls in just about any other anime. I think a lot of people, like me, learned about LS while they were looking for a new anime to watch after Haruhi. The different style of animation (In addition to the character descriptions) put me off from watching an episode for some time. The characters look much more their age outside of scenes where they are sitting down or are talking heads. The style is not the norm, but it's different and unique, like the series itself. And I think the style fits the series perfectly. After completing the series, I wouldn't have LS animated any other way, besides it makes Anime Tenchou seem even stranger than he already is.

Overall Story/Characters - The plot didn't scream to me that I had to watch the series or even an episode right away, I'm a bit of an Otaku myself, and the character description of Konata, made me feel like I'd be watching myself(I wasn't wrong about that either) But it was a lot more enjoyable than I had expected, Kagami was a surprise for me, I thought she was just going to be part of the background and the punch line for Konata's jokes. However, If you flip through some of the episodes, it's hard to find two scenes that don't feature Kagami, Konata or both. When I was reading the character descriptions before watching the show, Konata seemed to be the "Mascot" character, and that the anime would revolve around her. The overall story, was around what I expected it to be, but my reactions were different. Most scenes gave me a small chuckle and had me thinking how close to home these characters were, the series was a lot more "charming" than I thought it would be.
To be honest, I laughed harder when I was watching AzuDa, but AzuDa lacked emotionally. I thought LS would be very alike to AzuDa, but somehow it was able to put something together for me in the emotional department. For me, I think it was how they had developed Kagami's sense of character, in AzuDa, I had the feeling that the characters were all stereotyped, and that you could always expect a certain character to act a certain way. Kagami, would get distraught over gaining weight, she'd be aloof when she got the love letter, and she'd get angry when her sisters blamed her for not getting groceries. LS did a good job of showing her emotions and bringing the viewer along for the ride and getting the viewr to emphathize with the characters, at least I thought so when I was watching.

For the series, I liked the episodes where they focused on one theme and didn't jump around too much. Episodes, focused only at the beach, only at comiket, only at the school trip, were more memorable episodes. When the show jumped around from place to place, you lose a sense of what that episode was about.(Though, the episodes that jump around are the best to rewatch I find.)

What the show meant to you. - To me, the show was about having fun and laughing things off, but, Kagami has put a bit of scare into me on my own study habits and future.(I should be studying right now )

What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better. - I would have enjoyed the series much more if they had started putting in those 5 minute serious scenes in each episode earlier on. 5 minutes isn't too bad, you still have plenty of time for joke sequences. If I had known about Konata's Parents' pasts earlier, I would have felt I was more into the show for the rest of the episodes. It wasn't until watching some of these heartfelt scenes at the end, that I really wanted to watch the next episode of LS.

Lucky Channel/Karaoke- I only became a fan of lucky channel and the karaoke after episode 14. With Akira showing her bad side the entire episode of lucky channel, that really got me laughing. The Hare Hare Yukai performance with Shiraishi got me laughing even harder. All in all, I think Lucky Star would have been better off with more skits than the Lucky Channel segment. The Karaoke part is nice, I watched through the credits for each episode at least once, which more than I could say if it was just the same ending everytime.
Animation Quality: 10(Colorful, consistent, pretty.)
Voice Actors: 10 (I haven't heard better.)
Script: 9 (Good script, fits the characters well, plays well with their personalities)
Editing: 9 (I didn't see anything offensive or uninteresting.)
Emotional Involvement: 8 (It's a comedy, but they've shown they can put in some of this too, I'd like to see more.)

Overall: 9
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote