AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-17, 14:45   Link #1
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Miyuki

Gee, I always thought Mitsuru Adachi was just into baseball, maybe a little boxing... his romances always come off kind of hard-boiled - like a teenage version of The Big Sleep, only with no guns or blondes.

But here is a show from 20 years ago, and Masato, the main character, is a panty fetishist with a sister complex. He doesn't have time for sports - he is too busy trying to catch his step-sister, Miyuki, in the bath, or make time with his girlfriend, Miyuki...

Miyuki the step-sister is playing along - she likes playing house with him while his father is who-knows-where, and enjoys teasing Masato. There are also a couple of grown men in the show who more or less have a lolita complex...

I'm not saying I dislike this show. Actually it's kind of nice to see an Adachi title without the contrived sports drama. But the whole story is pretty odd...
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 16:30   Link #2
Breogan
Umeboshi

The whole thing lies in the fact that they are not blood related: Masato's father married Miyuki's mother, and when her mother died she went to live with him overseas. The story starts when Miyuki comes back to live with Masato.

He's not sure if she knows they are not blood related, so he behaves as if they were: she has no other relatives and he doesn't want to hurt her by making her realize she has no "real" family in the case she didn't know.

On a side note, Miyuki is the name of Masato's girlfriend too

And yeah, the late 20s teacher and mature policeman with the "loli" complex are quite funny
Spoiler:
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 19:41   Link #3
Spyre
"Soon"

The teacher is actually 35 (freaky!)

This is a good series, although I'm pretty biased. But I do admit the animation and sounds are extremely dated...
Spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 22:35   Link #4
brood-faun

Does the character animation resemble a lot like Touch? When I was watching ep1, I was thinking, "What the heck, am I watching touch?".
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 00:37   Link #5
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Its from the same mangaka, What do u expect?

I love Miyuki. The manga is one of my favorites. The anime releases are pretty slow, but I'm cool with that. I've seen four episodes so far and I'll prolly watch the whole thing once they all come out.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 02:04   Link #6
stpehen
kisses for all

OP is retrofantastic. Can't get enough of it!
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 11:22   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Good news. After 2 years and 5 months of patient waiting, we now have a new inspired group who has just picked up subbing Miyuki from where it was left off. Rejoice, for there is a subtitle for episode 12. Oh joy, oh joy!

So any Miyuki fans still alive in this planet?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 16:52   Link #8
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

It's good to see that there is actually someone apart from Minor Ja Nai in fansubbing old Adachi works.

Unfortunalety, from what I heard, the quality of this ep 12 sub isn't very great, video-wise and english translation/adaptation-wise, the last due to the translation being done by using the latin-american dub dialogues (the group itself is spanish, I think). As for the video, I have no idea why there are black bars all around the image, "squeeching" the image into a weird 16:9 look.

Before genki-fansubs start throwing rocks at me , this is not a rant or a bashing from me. It's more of a "warning" to "rookies" in anime, so they don't think that all old series will have that look. I'm sure genki-fansubs had their reasons and/or limitations and that they would improve the video if they could.

It's still, of course, a tremendous initiative from the group. Surely a group like genki-fansubs isn't fansubbing just to get the maximum leechers from and to get popularity, since usually picking old series don't help in that matter. They are, indeed, true fans, of this great show by Mitsuru Adachi.

(And no, I wasn't payed to write this. )

It would be cool if some of the staff members could share their thoughts in this thread.
Old 2007-12-20, 11:43   Link #9
Soshen
Kanjisub ******

Any news for adachi fans?

We need a Editor!
Soshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 22:37   Link #10
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
No news at all...

But...

For spanish and japanese language speaking fellows, heres a link of major interest for all folks who visit this desolated Miyuki topic (when I say major interest, is because IT IS major interest); www.malditasgalletas.com/
Old 2008-01-11, 03:59   Link #11
DanielSong39

Anyone know how this ends?

I heard that the anime was discontinued after 37 episodes, which is a shame...

Very clever use of imagery and sight gags galore in the first few episodes, but the quality does degrade after the first half-dozen episodes... but a pretty decent job overall.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 15:30   Link #12
rothgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Anyone know how this ends?

I heard that the anime was discontinued after 37 episodes, which is a shame...

Very clever use of imagery and sight gags galore in the first few episodes, but the quality does degrade after the first half-dozen episodes... but a pretty decent job overall.
Manga ending:
Spoiler:

You can get the manga english transcipts here:
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Field/7337/
rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 15:47   Link #13
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I never started because I heard it was not finished i might have to start now.
Old 2008-04-24, 17:21   Link #14
Darkmasterxx

So all the Miyuki episodes haven't been subbed? I guess that explains why I could only find episodes 1-13 out of 37. I really, really enjoyed the Miyuki manga, it actually almost brought a tear to my eye towards the end, and that is extremely rare for a manga or anime for me, so this is definitely one of my favorite manga. Luckily, I'm determined to teach myself Japanese this summer, and this manga and anime made me more determined to do so.
Darkmasterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 01:18   Link #15
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Miyuki is one of my favorites. I've read the manga (in Japanese and English) and watched most of the series in Japanese. I wish I could find the torrents for eps.9-11, though, as they seem to have disappeared (just the triangle bang icon).

What I really wish is that someone would pick up these older series and release them. They wouldn't have to have fancy releases or anything. I'd buy them. :-)
nihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 18:51   Link #16
The Kasuga Family
Looking for a re-license!

Its unfortunate the anime stops before the story end in the manga, leaving an emotional cliffhanger.

Miyuki is my favourite Adachi Mitsuru show. Hiromi Tsuru as Miyuki Kajima is sweet.
The Kasuga Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 00:25   Link #17
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Now we just need to convince someone to finish up. There are only 37 episodes, so they were 25% done with the series.
Old 2008-09-07, 14:00   Link #18
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kasuga Family View Post
Miyuki is my favourite Adachi Mitsuru show. Hiromi Tsuru as Miyuki Kajima is sweet.
She is just a major reason why I love the anime so much, she is super sweet. It's too bad that this and other series are the only seyuu jobs she ever took. She had an incredible lovable voice. *me goes back to watch Miyuki anime*
Old 2008-09-07, 22:31   Link #19
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokr View Post
She is just a major reason why I love the anime so much, she is super sweet. It's too bad that this and other series are the only seyuu jobs she ever took. She had an incredible lovable voice. *me goes back to watch Miyuki anime*
She's actually done quite a number of voices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiromi_Tsuru
Old 2008-09-08, 02:58   Link #20
Tiran86

I haven't seen the anime, but the manga is fantastic. My second favorite series by Adachi (after H2)
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote