AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-01, 18:39   Link #6621
GDB

As long as they don't just copy what the anime did, and it isn't just Mikoto doing everything herself, I'm cool with it.
Old 2014-04-01, 20:49   Link #6622
Death Usagi
Banned

From the contents that exist so far railgun, doesn't seem like there can be any fillers when a season 3 comes for Railgun.
Old 2014-04-01, 21:19   Link #6623
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
From the contents that exist so far railgun, doesn't seem like there can be any fillers when a season 3 comes for Railgun.
Never underestimate JC staff. They'll do it if they think it'll be more profitable. Though I hope they learned their lesson from last time... Though they might not get the chance to redeem themselves...
Old 2014-04-01, 21:27   Link #6624
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Well, the characters that actually appear on a regular basis are the ones that matter as far as remembering goes. Touma and Mikoto obviously already know, and who cares if characters who have only had a couple of pages of screen time in almost 70 chapters remembers. It's all about advancing the interactions of the core group, and I hate when development just gets erased like that.
Welcome to Railgun series .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I'm just curious about what next arc will be since this one is supposed to finish next issue...
Let's pray Mikoto doesn't turns out to be the victim that time.
Old 2014-04-01, 22:02   Link #6625
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Let's pray Mikoto doesn't turns out to be the victim that time.
I agree completely. It's now two arcs in a row (in the manga) that Mikoto needs rescuing at the end... She is supposed to be the heroine here

Next arc is bound to be after Daihasesai, and if it's immediately after at least we know Touma can't be there to help.

There is something I want to see before next arc though, a certain closing bonfire dance. Especifically, what leads to it.
Old 2014-04-02, 02:19   Link #6626
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Mikoto is the only victim.
Remove your Mikoto googles for a minute.
Quote:
I agree completely. She is supposed to be the heroine here
And Snow White is Snow white's main character, so what's your point?
Old 2014-04-02, 03:32   Link #6627
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Remove your Mikoto googles for a minute.
Butthurt much? If you're going to quote someone you shouldn't modify it to better fit your point, it's called using a strawman.

The unmodified post aludes to a fact, if you can't take it then suck it. Don't go incorrectly calling on "googles" due to a lack of a proper counterargument.

Quote:
And Snow White is Snow white's main character, so what's your point?
In the first place, main character =/= hero. FYI, there are plenty of archetypes for a main character, and Snow White is a classic damsel in distress, or a classic princess if you may, but not a hero.

Mikoto on the other hand is constructed quite differently, in the Railgun manga, and would fit better an idealistic hero.

Now, if you require me to spell out the point, here it goes. It's my opinion that when a hero requires too much help he ends up looking weak, which is kinda lame for the story overall.

Don't get me wrong, I find acceptable how it's been done so far, but if it keeps up with Mikoto being unable to participate in the actions that settle the conflicts (which btw, are centered on her) then she'll resemble more a failure of a hero which I really don't think fits well in this manga.

Not that I think Kamachi will make that mistake, but that's besides the point.
Old 2014-04-02, 03:44   Link #6628
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Personally, I predict this to be the last time she will be in such a position. The Sisters arc HAD to play out the way it did due to the light novels but this time around this situation was quite phenomenal; dealing with Level 6 shifts and the destruction of the city and whatnot.

Considering the exceptional circumstances of this volume (ie the chapters that will be bound into volume 10) I think the damsel in distress card has been played for the last time for Mikoto. There just isn't any situation that would top this and still concern Mikoto as a damsel without being repetitive.

The amount of spectacle in this volume alone made up for Mikoto being a damsel in distress again. It just doesn't make any sense for this to happen one more time.
Old 2014-04-02, 04:36   Link #6629
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Butthurt much?
Yes, a lot. I can't even sit down right now. It hurts so much.
Spoiler for For real? Dude, you need to calm down an think for a second:
Old 2014-04-02, 05:00   Link #6630
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

A hero (masculine) or heroine (feminine) refers to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self-sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity. This definition originally referred to martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.

Stories of heroism may serve as moral examples. In classical antiquity, cults that venerated deified heroes such as Heracles, Perseus, and Achilles played an important role in Ancient Greek religion. Politicians, ancient and modern, have employed hero worship for their own apotheosis (i.e., cult of personality). Stories of the anti-hero also play a major role in Greek mythology and much of literature. The anti-hero is a protagonist whose qualities are the last expected from a person in certain situations; an anti-hero often lacks the typical characteristics of heroism, such as honor, nobility, bravery, compassion, and fortitude. The favorite type of anti-hero is a characterless individual.

Snow white is not a Disney only story, they had influences and had some adaptions to make their story.

Base your arguments about facts not bias. Sometimes the Hero is in a dire situation and needs bailing; that's where their comrades come into play. A hero stands up for justice but nothing can be accomplished by ones self. Hasn't that been what Touma does? He stands up for people in need when they can't themselves, did he always do it alone? No most often than not he had his comrades.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13

Last edited by Ravagerblade; 2014-04-02 at 14:31.
Old 2014-04-02, 06:46   Link #6631
LevelSeven

Quote:
A hero (masculine) or heroine (feminine) refers to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self-sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity.
i can be wrong but this is the opposite of NT9 touma right?
Old 2014-04-02, 06:49   Link #6632
LevelSeven

Quote:
A hero (masculine) or heroine (feminine) refers to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self-sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity.
Old 2014-04-02, 07:05   Link #6633
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
Read the whole comment, he mentions anti hero later.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
Old 2014-04-02, 08:36   Link #6634
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Don't start any LN spoilers discussion here =_=
Old 2014-04-02, 08:43   Link #6635
LevelSeven

Quote:
Read the whole comment, he mentions anti hero later.
it fits accels carachteristics too, but this one is for anti-heroes:
Quote:
an anti-hero often lacks the typical characteristics of heroism, such as honor, nobility, bravery, compassion, and fortitude
the previous description isnt really something anti-heroes have, it fits more into the hero category....
Old 2014-04-02, 10:27   Link #6636
leukrota

Quote:
eh ... what?
I don't know what to think about this. Better be honest, then.

Did I do something wrong or offensive? I'd understand if you quoted the heroine part instead, because I indeed modified heroine->mc to make fun of you. But I don't even remember modifying this ; or if I did, I don't remember the modification I made.
So I assume you're actually talking about the heroine one, but misquoted this instead.

Fine, "googles" means she's not the only "victim" every arc and people fail to see that.
No misquote. The modification was precisely saying that Mikoto was the only victim. No one said that, you take the argument by a tangent with this modification.

When talking about the victim, you could say the main victim, as in the central "victim" of the conflict.

Quote:
Touma is a victim himself as he needed to be saved (from plasma, DS, etc) as he were ironically trying to save another hero that needed saving ... twice.

Plus, she's actually some things done halfway through before needing any kind of help unlike the other Railgun heroes. Which doesn't really hurt her status as a hero.
The thing is, like I said, she missed taking a decisive action that ends the conflict, instead being relegated to depending on others. This hasn't happened with Touma yet in the novels (except when he is not there, but then he is not the protagonist in those stories... and he even steals the light there sometimes)

Perhaps I should be talking about her being the main hero, as opposed to just a hero, not that the issue is about this.

Being helped is not the problem, but as I said, being helped too much (or too often if you may) is. Also, in the last 2 arc she has not simply been helped, but also rescued. This is subjective but what I'm saying is that I currently see her being at the borderline. Clarifying better, even failing a lot doesn't mean she's not a hero, but it does mean she is a failure hero.

Quote:
Moreover, this time (and partially the other time too) the entire town was as much in danger as her this arc. Saving "her", was also a parallel to saving the entire town.
That's besides the point.

Isn't it often the case anyways? (Even in Snow White rescuing the princess is rescuing the Kingdom)

Quote:
But if you meant "NT7 hero" then, yeah. The only real difference between her and the rest is that she's the MC.
I'm talking archetype here, though the fact that she is the MC is relevant too since she is at the center of the story. Heroes being victims in their own stories are rare events. Hope we are clear now then.
Old 2014-04-02, 10:34   Link #6637
GDB

It's quite obvious that Mikoto is Spider-man. She swings around town, makes wise-ass remarks, and has clones. However, sometimes ol' Spidey needs a hand from the Avengers or Fantastic Four, and that's where Touma comes in.
Old 2014-04-02, 11:15   Link #6638
Birdway
Banned

That makes sense, so she will never be featured as protagonist on any Avenger movie lol.
Old 2014-04-02, 12:54   Link #6639
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
No misquote. The modification was precisely saying that Mikoto was the only victim. No one said that, you take the argument by a tangent with this modification.
Yeah, sure. That's just the subtle difference between "turns out to be the victim" and "turns out to be a victim".
You're right though, it's totally my fault for trying to read in-between the lines.

Spoiler for My longest post in years:
Old 2014-04-02, 14:24   Link #6640
leukrota

Quote:
Since when? Are you insinuating that when you say "the character", you meant "the main character"?
Please, enlighten me. My English isn't that good, so eventually, learning a few things will help a lot.

Then, when I say "Charles was the victim of the plane crash", does it objectively mean : "Charles was the main victim of the plane crash among the many others"? But certainly not "Charles was the only victim of the plane crash"?
I can't presume I have perfect english either, but let's see...

What I'm saying is that Mikoto was the one mostly affected by the villain's plot (while having to play the victim role), the other "victims" (if we call them that instead of casualties) were either instruments or road kills. (In the Sister's arc, it's especially heartless to call them road kills, but that's what they were)
Spoiler for oh boy, this is getting too long:
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen