Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-06-20, 22:11   Link #1
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
sticky posts

I was wondering if its possible to make sticky posts, just like the sticky threads. I can't remember exactly what thread made me think about this (it wasn't any of the "rate" threads anyway, but in this ones a post saying "rate everyone" would be nice), but at the moment I thought it would be very good to have a sticky post.

Well, just my thoughts.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 23:05   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Wouldn't having sticky posts, posts which always appear at the top, kind of ruin the chronological ordering of the posts in the theads? As I see it, it would make reading the threads harder.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 00:20   Link #3
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I don't think it would make reading a thread more difficult, it can be in a darker color just like the sticky threads. That would make reading the threads pretty much the same as now IMO. Besides the sticky posts would be made only by mods, so they will always be short and concrete...I don't know but Im sure this is practically impossible anyway...I just want to hear your opinions.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 02:31   Link #4
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Sounds like a really bad idea to me, no offense matidor. Mr. Paper already said it. If you screw up the chrnological order then things are going to get wAY out of whack. If anything, make the posts a special color, like red, that really stand out from the other posts. I still don't see the reason for having them though, and it would require hacking vBulletin I believe
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 04:38   Link #5
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
moderators Already **sort of** do that. they edit the first post. in some color. + sign their name.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 07:46   Link #6
Ending

Uh... off-topic, most likely... but would it be possible to make it so that topic-starters are always shown even if the member is in the ignore list...?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 10:19   Link #7
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I can see where a post that stays at the top of every page in a thread could be useful -- rules / notes / index etc. But I don't really see the point of being able to view a the topic started by someone on your ignore list (kind-a defeats the point doesn't it?)

However, that doesn't matter because in both cases the answer is NO. They would require someone to hack the forum software -- something we're not prepared to do at this time.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 10:53   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
I was wondering if its possible to make sticky posts, just like the sticky threads. I can't remember exactly what thread made me think about this (it wasn't any of the "rate" threads anyway, but in this ones a post saying "rate everyone" would be nice), but at the moment I thought it would be very good to have a sticky post.
The question I would have is where would you display this 'sticky post' within the (default) max. 20 posts per page.

Stickies threads are listed at the top of the page in the forums, that's because the threads are ordered with the most recently updated at the top of the list (directly under the stickies). It's possible to see a good number of threads within the forum list and it's easy to see the stickies and the most recently active posts all together.

When I look at a thread, I normally click the "Go to first new post" icon or the "Go to last post" icon .

Where would the sticky post be in relation to these posts? Typically when I browse the forums, I can see one post at a time and since there might be up to 19 posts above or below the post I'm looking at, I doubt I would notice the sticky post most of the time.

Once you start looking at the posts within the thread, they are ordered in the opposite direction as they are in within the forum, the latest post is at the bottom. Does this mean the Sticky post(s) should be tagged on at the end? Or should they be displayed as the first post on every page. Either way, since I can only see a couple of posts in my browser window, it's unlikely that the sticky post will be visible most of the time.

I think this basic layout problem would defeat the use of such stickies.

Anyway, as NightWish said, it would require a hack to the forum software. So it's a question you should put to the forum software bods on the vB forums
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 09:46   Link #9
Serendipity

Send a message via ICQ to Serendipity Send a message via AIM to Serendipity Send a message via MSN to Serendipity
I know this is a really stupid question, but can someone please define "Sticky"?? Why is it called that? (I know it's silly, but I would like to know...!)
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 10:17   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy-no-Jutsu
I know this is a really stupid question, but can someone please define "Sticky"?? Why is it called that? (I know it's silly, but I would like to know...!)
It's called that because the post 'sticks' to the top of the page. That way it's always visible, it remains at the top of the forum list of posts even if it's not the most recently updated thread.

If you look at a forum, such as General Chat, you will notice first it lists Announcements, then Stickies, then the regular posts.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote