AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-08-29, 19:08   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I just figure there's no point in me going out of my way to give out "homework answers they could get for themselves with a touch of the Google"

Sometimes I wonder how some people manage to register on a forum (they found the forum, yet they can't find Site X that pops up with a google search on 'fansub'
Old 2009-08-29, 20:58   Link #22
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I don't see anybody arguing "I cant find the torrents asuki doesn't list" or "If asuki stops listing torrents I won't find anything anymore"
Old 2009-08-29, 23:25   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, not here --- but sometimes I find people asking on the forums where *any* torrents are... as in they managed to find the forums somehow but didn't know there was a torrents listing or how to find any other torrent site. That simply leaves me perplexed but it isn't terribly relevant to the thread (other than I just make a practice of not documenting particular sites in my posts).
Old 2009-08-30, 08:03   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think a lot of people first come to the forums because they've used Google to find discussions about a topic of interest. (As I recall, that's how I ended up here myself.) Since the connection between the forums and the torrent listing is rather obscure (a single link at the very bottom of this page), I'm not too surprised that people can end up here and not know about the listings.

I find the torrent listings very useful myself, but I'm someone who actually does care about the distinction between licensed and unlicensed materials. I'd agree with SoL, though, that if the listings went away I wouldn't have a problem finding series I'm interested in. I'd definitely prefer abolishing the listings as opposed to adding licensed materials.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 14:33   Link #25
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I used to access the main site to download anime content before. But, as more sites appeared with no restriction on the content shared, the ease of access to the content, and almost immediate addition of the content to the sites, Animesuki has started to lose its impact for me.

Even getting a sufficient introductory information on the series can be easily done at other database sites, which Animesuki is already linking to. So, with such information being available to such extent reduce the value of the torrent listing Animesuki carries (just google the series and you will be presented with more links and choices that you can imagine, and that is great especially if you prefer direct download links instead of torrents).

I think right now the most valuable part of the site is its forum, where you can access a much more personalized information with a much richer quality, coming from people that share similar interests with you. You can also argue that the information on which series are licensed or not and by whom is presented in a easily accessible manner, and that means the main site can move towards that direction.

I don't know if I am in the minority here. But, if a decision is to be made, then as long as the site can direct people who want to download the anime content to the right sites, the objections and the risks can be minimized at the same time. And I am sure there should be many things that can be done with the main site to make it still attractive to its fans.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 20:20   Link #26
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Eh, I really don't care about the torrent listing that much. I've still got it in my RSS feeds because it's easier to browse than other listings. I don't go to TokyoTosho because it's a mess of an interface and lists a lot of crap that doesn't interest me (no not only hentai, I mean seriously who the hell cares about Dragon Ball Z episode 245 AGAIN?!), but there are even other sites that list things in a similar way to AS and don't care about copyright restrictions.

And if it really gets down to it, you can always search for the fansubbers' website (props to Eclipse btw for sticking up with FMA2, I've never seen the fansub scene so scared in my entire life).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 21:30   Link #27
npcomplete

I think Option B by itself is out of the question. But along the lines of Option A, merged a bit with Option B while still providing some very useful functionality:

If asuki became a site that instead of listing and linking torrents, would be a super-duper-uber RSS feed filter since all the RSS readers out there have poor filtering or none to speak of. But the site should NOT have an RSS reader. It should just be an RSS aggregator + filter + generator. Filter parameter or maybe account name for saved parameters would be in the feed url.
(and personally, I'd love it if the aggregator included feeds for all anime related feeds as well, like raws and non-english; basically everything from TT)

Therefore, the site by itself does not list or link material, nor store any of those links. It just provides the engine for users via other RSS readers to grab such info, much like a specialized search engine. Meta-listing if you will.

There is another point I want to ask about:
- why ban all discussions of fansub related information for licensed series? I can fully understand the policy of not linking to material, but to not allow discussion of the fansub groups or material from the fansubbers seems like it's going too far.

Even ANN allows that! What if you have a question about translation differences for example?
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 00:52   Link #28
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Did you read my mind? I was thinking about such a feature.

However, I don't think it's possible to avoid storing links, as otherwise the site hosting the RSS feed will be hit every time every visitor that uses this feature checks AnimeSuki. This would make AnimeSuki's IP stand out in their logs, and we'd be liable to be blocked by them unless other arrangements were made.

What I envision is a system where any user can supply a RSS feed URL of their choice, but where the back-end will aggregate requests from multiple users (so if 100 users check the TT RSS, it only gets checked once per 15 minutes, not 100x). As this way AnimeSuki is not suggesting feeds (this is totally dependent on the user), I don't see why we'd be more responsible for the content than other web based RSS readers (or Google).

Like you suggest, I also envision being able to create a list of rules that apply to all, one or multiple feeds and that filter content - either to only list entries that match the rule or only to list entries that not match the rule.

Practical example: User "A" logs into site, goes to Feed Reader section, adds TT RSS feed for anime category. He/she then adds two rules: "h264 hayate eclipse" and "kanamemo mkv -banzai -dmonhiro". Subsequently any recent entries from those series in the TT RSS feed used will be displayed on the main page for that user (either after a while if the feed is new, or immediately if someone else already is using it through the feed reader feature).

Also planned: putting the results from the feed reader into a... RSS feed. For use in BT clients for example.

But er, all of this is still in my head right now. When I get time I'll try to build a working prototype.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 04:55   Link #29
npcomplete

awesome

As far as storing links, yeah I was thinking about hitting the source feeds in real time but on second thought, like you mentioned it's not really feasible. However I wouldn't consider temporary caches, refreshed/discarded every 15 mins as "storing links" either, since if it's removed from the source feed, it will be reflected here very soon as well.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 09:02   Link #30
Slice of Life
eyewitness

This is a great idea. I've been using a home cooked perl script to monitor the relevant RSS feeds for quite some time now. Basically, the script checks the feeds (once per hour) extracts what is new, filters it, and mails the results to me.

The most annoying feature is that when you follow several feeds is that you will get the same torrent several times and if the names or links aren't identical which they often aren't it's next to impossible to identify doubles automatically. Therefore, it might be useful to group the findings by pattern matched so the user can do that by eye.

I would also suggest to allow users to define a rank for the filter rules. In my mail, I'm getting all the entries but they are sorted according to their "level or interest". Those on top matched a pattern from the "alert" list, those at the bottom matched a pattern from the "ignore" list. (And in fact the only reason I list those is for debugging purposes.) Everything else goes in between.

Checking once per hour seems to be enough not to miss any item even from TT. Only from mininova(anime) I got some warnings in the past but not these days. I assume you'd like to be more up to date than that so checking every 15 minutes should be fine.
Old 2009-09-10, 10:36   Link #31
cyth
Banned

While this would be a great feature indeed, it's not like it hasn't been done before. Pretty much every idea you guys outlined has already been incorporated in Yahoo!'s Pipes.

This is how my TT pipe works.
This is what it outputs.

You can filter your feeds whatever way you want (without knowing regex), the service has a module that can remove duplicates, it outputs results into an RSS feed etc. The only weakness it would have against AnimeSuki's reader is that there's a lot of input work involved. If AnimeSuki's reader offered a selection of RSS feeds and simple fansub group and title filters, it would be much more handy than inputting all groups, titles, formats etc.

BTW, EZTV already blocks Yahoo! Pipes user agents, so don't be surprised if TT does the same with your site or whatever. Always have backup sources.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 16:48   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
This is a great idea. I've been using a home cooked perl script to monitor the relevant RSS feeds for quite some time now. Basically, the script checks the feeds (once per hour) extracts what is new, filters it, and mails the results to me.

The most annoying feature is that when you follow several feeds is that you will get the same torrent several times and if the names or links aren't identical which they often aren't it's next to impossible to identify doubles automatically. Therefore, it might be useful to group the findings by pattern matched so the user can do that by eye.

I would also suggest to allow users to define a rank for the filter rules. In my mail, I'm getting all the entries but they are sorted according to their "level or interest". Those on top matched a pattern from the "alert" list, those at the bottom matched a pattern from the "ignore" list. (And in fact the only reason I list those is for debugging purposes.) Everything else goes in between.

Checking once per hour seems to be enough not to miss any item even from TT. Only from mininova(anime) I got some warnings in the past but not these days. I assume you'd like to be more up to date than that so checking every 15 minutes should be fine.
This sounds like a fascinating project... I've not really had a reason to care much about RSS up to this point. Aye, once per hour should be fine to avoid the "refresh monkey" label
Old 2009-09-10, 17:40   Link #33
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I see no reason why TT or whoever should block animesuki because all AS would do is to read RSS feeds and that's what they are for. And once every 15 minutes is not really a short refreshment interval. Especially considering that AS would serve a lot of people at once and thus reduce the load for TT.

The only problem I can imagine is when somebody puts a third party's ads into his feed such that more requests == more ¥€$. Is EZTV doing something like that?
Old 2011-04-29, 22:17   Link #34
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

bump

what happens to asuki's relevance for your average downloader when there are like three unlicensed shows per season
because that's pretty much the situation right now, lawl
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 22:34   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
bump

what happens to asuki's relevance for your average downloader when there are like three unlicensed shows per season
because that's pretty much the situation right now, lawl
I barely torrent anymore (both technical and reasonable precaution reasons) myself (I tend to use DDL via various protocols). The semi-licensing by CR has certainly made things complicated, especially since a CR presentation of a broadcast means nothing in terms of any Region 1 physical media licensing of the R2 DVD/Blu-ray.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-05-06 at 20:23.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 04:28   Link #36
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Sorry for the bit late reply.

http://beta.animesuki.com/feeds

If you think "so what?" -- try the search function.

If you're logged in, you can specify saved searches which will be displayed on the main index page.

I also still intend to list CR shows as well, though progress has been slow (=none) again as of late. So (in the future) you can choose if you want to go the legal or illegal route.

For DDL fans, the NZB feature ( icon) should be convenient (if you don't mind figuring out how to setup a client + get an account with newsgroup provider).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote