AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you feel sorry for Orihime?
Yes 93 28.88%
A little 36 11.18%
Hell no 121 37.58%
Meh other characters have suffered more. 65 20.19%
Other 7 2.17%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-22, 16:48   Link #41
deadroot

Location: Apartment, the home where I hide, away from all the darkness outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
why do people have to mention the shinigami and comapre their lives to Hime's? They had decades, centuries even to evolve so they can't be compared in anyway.
Well its not only shinigamis we're comparing her to. Theres also Ichigo, Ishida, Chad, and Tatsuki which I believe is the same age as Orihime.

As for the shinigamis such as Rukia and Renji. The situations they were put through did not take centuries to resolve. They were just as down as Orihime at one time but they were able to pick themselves up through the help of their nakamas. Examples: Rukia did not deem herself worthy of being saved and accepted her fate to die. She then gained back the will to live because she saw how Ichigo and company were risking their lives saving her. This did not span through a decade or so but only a month.

Last edited by deadroot; 2007-06-22 at 17:05.
Old 2007-06-23, 07:36   Link #42
SaraPandora27

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarknight123 View Post
Thats my point. She lacks killing intent so thats why tsubaki is always so weak. She believes she's weak yet those feeling are making her weak. To be honest I personally don't think she is as weak as she thinks she is. If she maybe got angry or something she could probably do some damage. Remeber the stronger her heart is the stronger the fairies are.
I agree with your point. This is why I'm frustrated with the indecisiveness when people are describing her character, one minute she's desperately wanting to protect the people close to her, and then when she fails, it's because her heart's too soft. Don't you think that if she really wants to protect people, she would streghten her resolve and just do it?

Inoue can't decide if she wants to be a) Ichigo's cheerleader b) healer c) protector d) Rukia **

**I did not make this up ok? She really wants to be more like Rukia, I think it's in her conversation with Matsumoto.
Old 2007-06-23, 18:44   Link #43
yahoosoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post

4) she is held hostage with the threat that her capters will kill her and everyone she holds dear if she does not coperate and she has little hope of ever returning to her life.

5) A group of her friends has come to get her and she has been feeling them "die"

If she is emo the so is just about everyone else in the show. Ichigo wollowed in selfpity for a month because of his hollow side. Chad nearly broke down in tears when Ichigo impleyed he was useless. Rukia was even worse then Orihime when she was impriosoned, she had lost the will to live and thought she should die. And reacted simalerly when she thought Ichigo or Renji had died. Orihime has at least stood up to her capters.
I'll disagree with the stuff that you posted there and for the following reasons.

a) Orihime has done great injustice to her friends by actually believing that if she doesn't do what Aizen says they will die. Orihime is fully aware of her friends potential, she has fought with them several times and she knows what they are capable of. But by going with Aizen she has commited the greatest betrayal by not having enough faith in her friends.

People keep on saying that Orihime's power comes from her heart but tehcnically so does everyone elses. Everyone, not just Ichigo or Rukia, get a surge of power through their raw emotions. Everyone can draw on the power of their heart and become more powerful than what they are, regardless if they have fairies or not. So what excuse does Orihime have for not having enough faith in her friends?

b) She has been 'feeling' her friends die, then why didn't she do anything about it? Instead she just sits there passively and waits for 'Kurosaki-kun'.

c) The difference between the captivity of Rukia and Orihime, is during that time Rukia has no idea about the potential of the Ryoka group. She knew fully well the capabilities of the Shinigami while she is not yet fully aware about the potential of Ichigo and his team. Rukia embraced her death sentence with conviction because she didn't want her friends to be harmed and she knew fully well that she has commited a grave crime. I don't know if there is any conviction in the part of Orihime for going with Aizen other than being under the threat of harming her friends. She goes in there as a confused sacrificial lamb ready for slaughter.

And another thing, Orihime has known fully well that her friends will soon set out to try to defeat Aizen. She knew that he was the enemy. And she willingly goes to the enemy under false pretences. Did she even think that her actions will put her friends at risk even more than before? Does she know what it will do to their morale? Personally, I think Ichigo doubts Inoue's allegiance now.

Inoue has always been afraid that she is a burden to her friends but her current actions have made whatever thought she was thinking off a reality. Now she REALLY is a burden to her friends.

Last edited by yahoosoda; 2007-06-23 at 19:05.
Old 2007-06-24, 01:46   Link #44
solarknight123

I agree with you yahoosoda, but i have been thinking about something. When the arancar came to take her and threaten to kill her friends, If she believed they would pull through and didn't decide to go along with him, wouldn't the arancar have taken her regardless.(sorry i forgot that guy's name. the emo looking one lol.)
Old 2007-06-24, 02:28   Link #45
Question
Crossdresser

Her kidnapping could have been totally avoided if she wasnt so weak willed to succumb to Emospada. That scene just showed how weak her character was.

She should have just woken Ichigo up, called and assembled everyone, and faced the Arrancars head on if they were going to go through with their threat to target Ichigo and his friends(which they were going to do anyway).

I blame Kubo for making such a weak, unlikable character. I cant sympathize with someone who's major contribution to a shounen manga is to shorten in universe passage of time by healing everyone up after fights and who has gone through a lot but hasnt improved at all, who keeps wanting to get stronger for 100+ chapters but actually hasnt, etc.
Old 2007-06-24, 06:13   Link #46
yahoosoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarknight123 View Post
I agree with you yahoosoda, but i have been thinking about something. When the arancar came to take her and threaten to kill her friends, If she believed they would pull through and didn't decide to go along with him, wouldn't the arancar have taken her regardless.(sorry i forgot that guy's name. the emo looking one lol.)
No doubt Aizen would have tried to take her by force if she refuses but that is better than the false presences she has woven around her captivity.
Old 2007-06-24, 12:15   Link #47
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoosoda View Post
No doubt Aizen would have tried to take her by force if she refuses but that is better than the false presences she has woven around her captivity.
Good Point.
Old 2007-06-24, 20:01   Link #48
SaraPandora27

Quote:

c) The difference between the captivity of Rukia and Orihime, is during that time Rukia has no idea about the potential of the Ryoka group. She knew fully well the capabilities of the Shinigami while she is not yet fully aware about the potential of Ichigo and his team. Rukia embraced her death sentence with conviction because she didn't want her friends to be harmed and she knew fully well that she has commited a grave crime. I don't know if there is any conviction in the part of Orihime for going with Aizen other than being under the threat of harming her friends. She goes in there as a confused sacrificial lamb ready for slaughter.

Yup, yup. Totally agree with you on that. In addition to that, Rukia believes that her death sentence will be a form of redemption for what happened with Kaien.
Old 2007-06-24, 20:10   Link #49
solarknight123

Well all we can do is pray she gets stronger (both power and personality wise) and that she improves. I hope she doesn't get killed. Truth be told i don't want her to die some lame death where she sacrificed herself to help the others out with something and they go baserker mode.
Old 2007-06-25, 11:25   Link #50
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
I can't really agree with the majority here.

Firstly, in Bleach you can't really say that anyone has had a worse life than anyone else. Rukia, for example. She can't even remember the time when she was an infant and abandoned. She had her gang with her (including Renji) up through adolescence, and the friends she had in the academy. Now I know you are gonna bring up the issue with Kaien, then Orihime had the issue with her brother as well (she also thought she was at fault for anchoring his spirit by telling him she didn't want to be left alone.

Also, you might say well Orihime has Tatsuki hanging with her, she still lives alone, and has no living family. Hell its pretty much the least she can get after her whole family is gone. Rukia has Byakuya, and Ichigo has a good family. But Ishida and Chad I do have sympathy for since they are in similar situations. In other words its useless to judge wether a character in this show is worthy of sympathy based on the past, since they all have their melancholic stories to tell.

Secondly, you guys say she should have called everyone to arms and made a full frontal assault on the enemy. This would have been a GRAVE error on our heroes part.
Going into battle like that would have been foolhardy indeed. MAYBE they would get reinforcements from SS if the situation got too intense, but after seeing how Yamamoto reacted to Ichigo wanting to go rescue Orihime I don't think it would go the way you all are figuring.
Besides who says she would even be given the chance? Who says that Ulqui wasn't looking over her most of the time before she departed?
In no way at all is her going with Ulqui a betrayal. She did what she thought was best at the time considering the situation. Its not like she has her own personal com link to everyone to call for help and they can all gather together in a flash, set up for battle, and be able to prepare for a frontal assault in a day. The enemy would expect a last minute attack and as we've seen they have more than the forces to handle such an assault.

At least with this route our protaganists have got time to prepare a counteroffensive. Besides if they've got time to fight they've got time to have the Vizard crew protect her while everyone would keep watch. Hell, that sounds like a brighter idea than the "LETS CHARGE IN THE FRONT" plan.

On another point, shes been far more useful than people will ever give her credit for. If she needs a bit to sort some stuff within herself, I say give it to her. You don't see her friends saying, "Oh my god! This wuss got caught so easily." "Oh well, just dump her ass." I've got a few ideas about where Kubo Tite is going with her character, but I want to wrap this up and save that for another time.

Finally for all of you with the "omg her power is hax." I don't see anyone complaining about Mr. Unbreakable Illusions who hasn't even shown a bankai yet, and the only other person who could combat that is under said Mr Unbreakakble Illusions control. No one complains about that. Or the ones who say she needs to be killed to make the hero stronger. Hah? Bah.

Sorry to rant, but I've just found that when most people watch shows like these fluctuate their likes and dislikes for a character on a whim. If their don't like to just layer the battlefield with corpses they are weak, if they have a weak side, they are emo, and if it takes time to develop the character the author is seen as incompetent. Bah.
Old 2007-06-25, 12:00   Link #51
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
So Orihime was just supposed to assume that the same set of situations and coincidences (and yes there were many lucky coincidences) that allowed Ichigo's group to be successful in Soul Society would replicate themselves for the arrancar. Unlike us, Inoue doesn't realize she's in a manga where the heroes always somehow win. Ulquorria not only told Orihime that her friends would be killed, but showed her images of her friends being horribly beaten by the Espada. And just from feeling Ulq's spiritual pressure and seeing how he casually ripped two shinigami to pieces she could probably tell that his bluff wasn't to be taken lightly.

This rescue attempt is really just confirming why Inoue wanted to avoid her friends getting involved in the first place as the Espada are easily slaughtering them. If not on a whim by Grimmjow, Ichigo would still be lying on the ground with a hole in his chest.

Quote:
Did she even think that her actions will put her friends at risk even more than before? Does she know what it will do to their morale? Personally, I think Ichigo doubts Inoue's allegiance now.
From Orihime's point of view, she saw her friends facing immediate death at the hands of the Espada. She did not foresee Shinji coming to save from Ichigo from getting skewered by Grimmjow. She didn't see Urahara coming to save everyone from getting crushed by Luppi's tentacles. Her choices were limited. Even if she did gather her friends to fight, she knew they probably wouldn't be a match for them. Even Soul Society feels unprepared for the upcoming battle, they need all the time they can get.

Ulq already stated that what he did was a mind game to get Soul Society and Ichigo himself to doubt Orihime's allegiance. And Ichigo has already said that he never doubted her loyalty.
Old 2007-06-25, 15:16   Link #52
astridstarr00

Send a message via AIM to astridstarr00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
I feel sorry for her not getting any senses knock into her. Seriously, someone like Ichigo should go and slap her and tell her that she can get stronger and dont get depress over being weak. Orihime's character development is always going around in circles. Seeing her somehow gives me a feeling of "not strong enough to do anything"
Yup, absolutely agree with you here. This could be the reason that it seems the majority doesn't sympathize w/ her. It seems like the other characters will sulk, but then they go and try to do something about it. But it seems like when she finally does go in that direction, she goes right back to how she was before
Old 2007-06-25, 16:31   Link #53
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by astridstarr00 View Post
Yup, absolutely agree with you here. This could be the reason that it seems the majority doesn't sympathize w/ her. It seems like the other characters will sulk, but then they go and try to do something about it. But it seems like when she finally does go in that direction, she goes right back to how she was before
But when she does it she's all "emo". The thing is she that 2 of the 3 events(crying over being jelous of rukia and because she was told she was useless) that people use to say she is all emo have lasted for less then an hour and she then moved on. The 4 (her kidnaping) has barely lasted 2 or 3 days and the only time she has been shown as over emotial was when she was saying good bye to her life and when her friends started to "die". Compair this to to Ichigo who was sulking for a month which caused one of Orihime's events or Rukia who acted even worse durring her imprisionment. Even Chad acted the same when Ichigo implied he was useless.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

Last edited by kagato3; 2007-06-25 at 16:54.
Old 2007-06-25, 18:07   Link #54
Ichigo_Strife728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
I can't really agree with the majority here.

Firstly, in Bleach you can't really say that anyone has had a worse life than anyone else. Rukia, for example. She can't even remember the time when she was an infant and abandoned. She had her gang with her (including Renji) up through adolescence, and the friends she had in the academy. Now I know you are gonna bring up the issue with Kaien, then Orihime had the issue with her brother as well (she also thought she was at fault for anchoring his spirit by telling him she didn't want to be left alone.

Also, you might say well Orihime has Tatsuki hanging with her, she still lives alone, and has no living family. Hell its pretty much the least she can get after her whole family is gone. Rukia has Byakuya, and Ichigo has a good family. But Ishida and Chad I do have sympathy for since they are in similar situations. In other words its useless to judge wether a character in this show is worthy of sympathy based on the past, since they all have their melancholic stories to tell.

Secondly, you guys say she should have called everyone to arms and made a full frontal assault on the enemy. This would have been a GRAVE error on our heroes part.
Going into battle like that would have been foolhardy indeed. MAYBE they would get reinforcements from SS if the situation got too intense, but after seeing how Yamamoto reacted to Ichigo wanting to go rescue Orihime I don't think it would go the way you all are figuring.
Besides who says she would even be given the chance? Who says that Ulqui wasn't looking over her most of the time before she departed?
In no way at all is her going with Ulqui a betrayal. She did what she thought was best at the time considering the situation. Its not like she has her own personal com link to everyone to call for help and they can all gather together in a flash, set up for battle, and be able to prepare for a frontal assault in a day. The enemy would expect a last minute attack and as we've seen they have more than the forces to handle such an assault.

At least with this route our protaganists have got time to prepare a counteroffensive. Besides if they've got time to fight they've got time to have the Vizard crew protect her while everyone would keep watch. Hell, that sounds like a brighter idea than the "LETS CHARGE IN THE FRONT" plan.

On another point, shes been far more useful than people will ever give her credit for. If she needs a bit to sort some stuff within herself, I say give it to her. You don't see her friends saying, "Oh my god! This wuss got caught so easily." "Oh well, just dump her ass." I've got a few ideas about where Kubo Tite is going with her character, but I want to wrap this up and save that for another time.

Finally for all of you with the "omg her power is hax." I don't see anyone complaining about Mr. Unbreakable Illusions who hasn't even shown a bankai yet, and the only other person who could combat that is under said Mr Unbreakakble Illusions control. No one complains about that. Or the ones who say she needs to be killed to make the hero stronger. Hah? Bah.

Sorry to rant, but I've just found that when most people watch shows like these fluctuate their likes and dislikes for a character on a whim. If their don't like to just layer the battlefield with corpses they are weak, if they have a weak side, they are emo, and if it takes time to develop the character the author is seen as incompetent. Bah.

Wow I agree with you 100%. People just see Orihime as the typical damsel in distress and hae her for it.
Old 2007-06-25, 18:13   Link #55
Ichigo_Strife728

Quote:

Rukia: "Ichigo RUN"
Old 2007-06-25, 20:38   Link #56
yahoosoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
So Orihime was just supposed to assume that the same set of situations and coincidences (and yes there were many lucky coincidences) that allowed Ichigo's group to be successful in Soul Society would replicate themselves for the arrancar. Unlike us, Inoue doesn't realize she's in a manga where the heroes always somehow win. Ulquorria not only told Orihime that her friends would be killed, but showed her images of her friends being horribly beaten by the Espada. And just from feeling Ulq's spiritual pressure and seeing how he casually ripped two shinigami to pieces she could probably tell that his bluff wasn't to be taken lightly.
Then whatever you said just proves how weak Orihime actually is. Yes, she has to assume things, hell even in real life you have to go by certain assumptions. Her assumptions lean more toward believing that her friends are 'weak' and could do nothing against the Espadas. I'm sure Orihime knows that her friends also have 'friends' in other places, they are not alone in this battle. And at that time that is another thing that she forgot thank's to the 'pressure' she felt from the captor Espada.

You are right, it is a mind game and Orihime fell for it.

Quote:
From Orihime's point of view, she saw her friends facing immediate death at the hands of the Espada. She did not foresee Shinji coming to save from Ichigo from getting skewered by Grimmjow. She didn't see Urahara coming to save everyone from getting crushed by Luppi's tentacles. Her choices were limited. Even if she did gather her friends to fight, she knew they probably wouldn't be a match for them. Even Soul Society feels unprepared for the upcoming battle, they need all the time they can get.
I agree that her choices were extremely limited. It was either to agree to go freely or to agree to go as a captive, staying true to her beliefs. She would have been taken nonetheless but personally, it would have shown a strong strength of character if she didn't just 'JOIN' them.

Quote:
Ulq already stated that what he did was a mind game to get Soul Society and Ichigo himself to doubt Orihime's allegiance. And Ichigo has already said that he never doubted her loyalty.
Ichigo is single-minded and I don't think he will allow such thoughts as doubt to invade his mind as he prepares for battle. He knows that well enough. But in the long run, what good as joining the Espada done to Orihime? Soon enough she will be 'pressured' to do more things against her will in order to save her friends. Orihime has always wanted to be an asset in battle, this story arc has proven why she can't be or at least she has failed this time around.

The impact of the mind game being played is quite simple, it breeds doubt. There is something more other than Orihime's allegiance at stake here. The mind game exist in Ichigo and his group (including the Soul Society) doubting their own abilities simply because their fellow comrade did so. That's the mind game that is being played.

Whatever Orihime has done, if she even thought it would buy time, is completely and utterly false. If she knew her friends and regardless of whatever condition her captivity may have been, she would have known that they will go get her...all preparations be damned.

So given those variables, why in the world did Orihime choose to join this group rather than staying true to her beliefs?

Last edited by yahoosoda; 2007-06-25 at 21:00.
Old 2007-06-25, 20:59   Link #57
yahoosoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post

The problem with your argument is that you are comparing events. Regardless of whatever event that may have happened every single character in Bleach has suffered a form of emotional trauma which in then shapes your characters. Your statements make it seem like no one else has a greater burden on their shoulders other than Orihime. If ever the past of the other characters were brought up because the past was one of the conditions given by the thread starter with regard to feeling sorry for Orihime.

Quote:
Oh I think that Orihme didn't have a choice if she was going to be taken or not. But she did have a choice on how she was going to be taken. And in that moment she opted to join them rather than to stand by what she believed. And that IS the point that I have been trying to make. Orihime's captivity is doubtful and in the end it does little to help her friends. Whatever idea she thought that by doing what the enemy says is beneficial to her friends has remained to be proven false even with the latest chapters. Her willing captivity offers nothing in return, nothing to gain for her friends, other than casting a doubt on her.

Quote:
The moment that she was taken time was not on the side of Ichigo and his team. They are unaware of her circumstances, and to them the sooner it is to get her out of there, the sooner the battle can really start. How can they be expected to fight to their fullest capacity not knowing the circumstances behind her capture.

Quote:
Of course she has her uses, otherwise she would be relegated to the same area in the panel as Tatsuki or Keigo.

Quote:
I'm not ranting about her power, I'm ranting about the strength of her convictions. Orihime should have realized that her power is not similar to the ones Ichigo and the others have. She is support and defence, greatly needed by a team composed of nearly all aggressive and attack stances.

Why was Orihime's power brought up here? Because some people assume that she is more powerful due to the reinforcement of her emotions and her heart. And that is something that isn't exclusive to Orihime alone.

Quote:
Tell me what developments is Orihime's character encountering right now? I'm ranting because it appears like you are doing the same thing that you appear to hate but this time in defense of Orihime. Not a problem for me if you feel strongly for her but don't assume that everyone here hates her. I for one am indifferent to her, I neither hate her or like her. But there are also some people who put Orihime in a pederstral, claiming she is this and that, and that I do not agree on because, I believe that her character is more on equal footing with the rest of the Bleach characters.

Last edited by yahoosoda; 2007-06-25 at 21:44.
Old 2007-06-25, 21:01   Link #58
Deathwing
what do i know

not really i mean she didn't have it that bad Azien didn't have any intention of letting her die (unlike rukia's situation where she would have been killed if not rescued) and besides the evil lolis she wasn't treated that bad and im guessing if Azien heard of the abuse there would have been scattered loli parts everywhere and now she is free at the moment so really this isn't too bad

if you want pity someone look at chad the man tries so hard and just get demolished every time because he runs into somebody out of his league plus for the past few manga chapters he has been in a pile of his own blood with no help in sight

so id have to vote hell no
Old 2007-06-25, 21:02   Link #59
yahoosoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo_Strife728 View Post
Rukia: "Ichigo RUN"
It's a pity that you being the original thread starter want to go about your thread like this. Well then...

Inoue: Kurosaki-kun..."

Last edited by yahoosoda; 2007-06-25 at 21:46.
Old 2007-06-25, 21:37   Link #60
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Her assumptions lean more toward believing that her friends are 'weak' and could do nothing against the Espadas. I'm sure Orihime knows that her friends also have 'friends' in other places, they are not alone in this battle. And at that time that is another thing that she forgot thank's to the 'pressure' she felt from the captor Espada.
Well so far, her friends have proved to be 'weak' against the Espada.Three of them should've died already. Once again, I think people judge Orihime's decision from a reader's point of view, where we know that things will just someway, somehow work out for the heroes in the end and nobody dies. Inoue doesn't have this knowledge to provide peace of mind. She can have faith. She can be optimistic. But everyone has to draw the line at some point and realize limitations. Even people who have faith in God don't just go "Oh, it'll be ok. God will handle it" when a crisis arises.

Again, try to see it more from Orihime's point of view, a teenage girl who has just seen her escorts ripped in half like tissue paper. Then, she's shown images of her friends and allies not just being beaten but getting totally dominated by Espada and told either way she will be captured, but that if she doesn't cooperate they will all be killed immediately. Should she have just wagered with her friends lives, and refused believing they'd all survive somehow? Or should she have accepted the offer and then try to defy Ulq orders resulting in possibly several more Espada being sent to kill them? Even if Soul Society were to get involved, Hitsugaya already stated that they weren't prepared to handle Aizen and the Espada. Even with the vizards and Urahara to possibly even things up, tell me how that situation could be resolved with no casualties? Orihime adhering to "beliefs" would've resulted in immediate bloodshed. At least, by cooperating Inoue gave them a chance to prepare, a chance they didn't take advantage of but it was a chance nonetheless.

I'm sure if it had been Ichigo, Renji or even Ishida in that situation they would've told Ulq to shove his offer up his a** and fought with everything they had. But I don't think it's accurate to call someone who doesn't have that same train of thought weak. And trying to say that the current situation somehow Inoue's fault is definitely not fair.

Last edited by Sabaku Kyu; 2007-06-25 at 21:52.
Closed Thread