AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2013-02-15, 05:02   Link #201
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Have patient. I'm a very busy person in Real Life.

I will create your TV Tvropes page in time and about that pic you ask.....No.

The reason? Pictures must be 250px-350px in range and 200kb in size before they can uploaded to TVTropes. Furthermore......... no offense to the artist but they don't really look like the characters of SAO. They just look.......gonk. (Sorry artist.)
Old 2013-02-15, 20:36   Link #202
Knowledgeseeker01
Wishes to Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Have patient. I'm a very busy person in Real Life.

I will create your TV Tvropes page in time and about that pic you ask.....No.

The reason? Pictures must be 250px-350px in range and 200kb in size before they can uploaded to TVTropes. Furthermore......... no offense to the artist but they don't really look like the characters of SAO. They just look.......gonk. (Sorry artist.)
I'm sorry if I come across impatient and rude. I just get excitable and enthusiastic over things like this. It can cause my imagination to really skyrocket about the future. Sometimes it really helps like when I am writing my stories or when I am helping someone else. However, I have noticed it can really come across the wrong way at other times. For that I apologize. I really am a patient person, and I understand what you mean about being busy in the real world.

Anyway, I can understand why you think that about the picture, but I still like it. To be fair, she didn't know about the franchise before I asked her, so this was sort of new to her. For her first attempt, drawing something related to Sword Art Online, I think it was pretty good.
Knowledgeseeker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 10:46   Link #203
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowledgeseeker01 View Post
I'm sorry if I come across impatient and rude. I just get excitable and enthusiastic over things like this. It can cause my imagination to really skyrocket about the future. Sometimes it really helps like when I am writing my stories or when I am helping someone else. However, I have noticed it can really come across the wrong way at other times. For that I apologize. I really am a patient person, and I understand what you mean about being busy in the real world.

Anyway, I can understand why you think that about the picture, but I still like it. To be fair, she didn't know about the franchise before I asked her, so this was sort of new to her. For her first attempt, drawing something related to Sword Art Online, I think it was pretty good.
Well at least you understand.

The newest chapter of Halkegenia Online is out!
Old 2013-02-28, 11:17   Link #204
Twi

Fairy Dance of Death has been updated.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8679666/...Dance-of-Death
Old 2013-03-07, 09:13   Link #205
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I Just wanted to tell everyone that I have started a fanfiction.

It'll be set in Aincrad and it'll be the situation developing to the crusade formed by front-liners against the Laughing Coffin.

First Chapter is up at my Animesuki post (link in my sig) and also in fanfiction.net

Fanfiction link

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 03:13   Link #206
Knowledgeseeker01
Wishes to Understand

Be sure to check out the newest installment of Fairy Dance Alternate. It is titled, "Darkness before the Dawn."

I hope you enjoy and provide feedback.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8698378/...ance-Alternate
Old 2013-03-08, 06:08   Link #207
Haiprbim
Banned

Artiuria Polaris - It was nice to read, thanks.
Knowledgeseeker01 - Will check it out right away, hehe.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 20:50   Link #208
Knowledgeseeker01
Wishes to Understand

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tr View Post
Artiuria Polaris - It was nice to read, thanks.
Knowledgeseeker01 - Will check it out right away, hehe.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. It's always good to hear from a fan.

If you don't mind, could you please leave a review as well? I really love receiving direct/written feedback regarding my chapters.
Old 2013-03-09, 10:24   Link #209
styr

After my ~7.5 month hiatus, mostly playing VNs and heavily considering the idea of writing a MuvLuvAlternative fanfic due to the series' awesomeness. Unfortunately Muv-Luv is, by now, an almost dead community and I figured that if I was going to write anything, it should at least be something that came out recently. And thus, I have returned to write the idea that I originally posted on page 3 of this thread, back when SAO fanfics numbered less than ten... (sigh)

Thus far, I have outlined the general premise and have begun writing it, but I still have several questions that I'd like to be answer before I publish, some of which I posted in the "Game Mechanics" thread.

Essentially, the plot revolves around the events of the First Day SS (side-story), a "What-If?" scenario wherein Coper does not betray Kirito at the climatic moment during the «Secret Medicine of the Forest» quest where they are both battling Little Nepents.

Coper will remain a male, and only a few things will change about his character: he will not be wielding or using a sword at all, but will still be on the same quest where they first meet; he will not have worn glasses IRL, but will still be a computer addict similar to Kirito and also a beta tester; he is a now a half-foreigner who is alienated enough that he desires companionship but does not desire to join a guild, also similar to Kirito.

These modified traits will culminate in them teaming up and traveling together. I had originally planned for 5+ chapters per floor, but had originally only planned on doing 2-3 floors tops. Now, I plan to change this. Each floor will get ~1-2 chapters, and for the most part will skip most bosses, save for the first one and other "major" bosses. Chapters not devoted to boss battles will feature standard MMO fare: acquiring new loot, quest chains, unlocking new Sword Skills (e.g. Rage Spike, Sonic Leap, Vertical Arc, Horizontal Square, etc), overarching strategy and tactics within the 2-man group & raid dynamic, and basically everything that goes on in standard MMOs but was left out of vanilla SAO for the more "dramatic" stuff.

Having watched the entire SAO series, I had always felt that the timeskips, while a decent framing device showing Kirito's desire to solo like crazy, destroyed a lot of potential that the Aincrad arc naturally had as an MMORPG. That is what I intend to explore in-depth with my fanfic. There will be no battle harems, no newly formed badass guilds, or Kirito x Coper slash romance going on. It will for the most part stick to the MMO grinding/leveling process that 14-year olds would be interested in doing. When I was 14 (I too was a computer nerd), I did not think about hooking up with girls in-game, but on how to acquire the newest piece of awesome!gear, or learning how to best use my new skill/spell/ability. Kirito and Coper will act accordingly to their age.

That doesn't mean romance will never happen, of course. And I don't intend on disrupting the KiritoxAsuna relationship either, nor will I have Coper steal one of the girls from his harem. Coper is similar to Kirito, but they have their differences. Where Kirito is calm, quiet, collected and heroic, Coper is more pragmatic and cynical due to his half-foreigner upbringing in Japan, having been discriminated against by schoolchildren. This imparts on Coper a sense of distrust/wariness for the "general public" and the average Japanese, but he is also loyal to those he respects and trusts. Coper also has a soft spot for other foreigners trapped in SAO.

In essence, Coper desires to have a few close friends over, say, having a lot of not-so-close friends. Quality over quantity. I believe Kirito is also similar in the matter, especially early on in the Aincrad arc after Klein had turned him down. Being betrayed by Coper in the canon First Day SS is what led Kirito down the path to secluded soloing for so long (save for the partnerships with Asuna on Floors 1-3 that are only present in some side-stories like Rondo, Aria, Concerto).

Once I have started publishing it, I will post a link here. I hope my synopsis sounded interesting.. I am trying to make it properly, without making Coper too powerful, all-knowing, or have him change the canon plot too much. I'd like to maintain the status quo that is present in the original novels as much as possible, but with a few changes here or there and expand upon the info that simply wasn't included or glossed over. For instance, I plan on going over the advantages and disadvantages of weapon types in-game, and subsequently show how weapon composition of the party changes dynamics of a battle.

edit: About the only problem I can think of for my fic, is that it almost requires knowing who Coper is and what he does to Kirito in canon, and the majority of people on a certain fanfiction site have probably only watched the anime, have likely not read the translated side-story where Coper is a prominent side character... Should I create an author's note at the top of my first chapter with a link to the First Day SS and hope the audience heeds my advice/warning? If not, they may assume Coper is an OC, since he is never referenced in the anime or anywhere outside of the sidestory. Perhaps I could just write a note/warning in the story description, or even briefly summarize the events of First Day for those who haven't read it? I wonder what would be best.

Last edited by styr; 2013-03-09 at 12:26.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 13:28   Link #210
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. It's always good to hear from a fan.

If you don't mind, could you please leave a review as well? I really love receiving direct/written feedback regarding my chapters.
Sure, expect a review by a person named P3tr on that site soon!
Old 2013-03-09, 22:48   Link #211
Knowledgeseeker01
Wishes to Understand

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tr View Post
Sure, expect a review by a person named P3tr on that site soon!
Thank you very much. I look forward to reading your review.
Old 2013-03-10, 10:31   Link #212
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
I suggest you bold your A/Ns, and inform anyone who does not believe you to look up the Side story on Google.
Other than that, this is a brilliant idea. I wonder whether Cooper would occupy a position similar to Sinon, but acting as Kirito's Wingman of sorts. In-fact, this could easily end in Kirito travelling in a party that includes Asuna, Lizbeth and Scillia in the last six months, or even sooner.

How do you plan on dealing with the Black Cats? Also, given that we don't know how Asuna and Kirito went their separate ways after Concerto, you'll probably be straying into material that'd probably be shot to hell once Progressive Volume 2 comes out.

But, go for it!
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 12:31   Link #213
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Thank you very much. I look forward to reading your review. :)
Review sent, hope you got it. :D

I got the message: "The author would like to thank you for your continued support. Your review has been posted."

Also, I truly meant what I posted in the end.
Cheers, mate.
Old 2013-03-10, 19:31   Link #214
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Other than that, this is a brilliant idea. I wonder whether Cooper would occupy a position similar to Sinon, but acting as Kirito's Wingman of sorts. In-fact, this could easily end in Kirito travelling in a party that includes Asuna, Lizbeth and Scillia in the last six months, or even sooner.

How do you plan on dealing with the Black Cats? Also, given that we don't know how Asuna and Kirito went their separate ways after Concerto, you'll probably be straying into material that'd probably be shot to hell once Progressive Volume 2 comes out.

But, go for it!
Nothing is set in stone past the first floor mind you, but as for the Black Cats in particular... there is only a few ways I can deal with them; either Coper and Kirito join them, and events proceed naturally like what occurred in canon, they never meet, or they join them but manage to "save" them.

Should the Black Cats actually survive, I would be venturing into a heavily different AU since the Black Cats untimely demise is a rather large event in Kirito's Aincrad life, but having them become a new 'top' guild might be interesting, what with politics and such. But, on the other hand, Sachi might "steal" Kirito away before he hooks up with Asuna, but maybe Coper can have her? I don't intend to break up Kirito and Asuna unless I suddenly hate her, which I doubt will happen.

Regardless, the Black Cats don't show up until April of 2023, so I've got ~5 months of 'Aincrad time' to think about what to do before they show up.

I shall take your advice and bold my A/N entirely (about Coper) with advice to google the side-story up if I am not believed. Thank you for your advice, I am currently writing up an infodump about weapon types, damage types, weapon proficiencies, sword skills, etc, etc. I wonder if I should disguise the infodump across several chapters as a monologue of Coper as he explains things, or just an "Extra/Bonus" chapter that explains game mechanics.

As for Coper's role, I plan on making him a Tank/DPS hybrid character, with some "light" armor (similar to Diabel's level of armor: greaves, breastplate, and pauldrons only, not heavy armor like Schmitt) with Coper relying on his movement, shield & parry skills for the majority of his defense. Although him and Kirito will start off as near-equals, they will not remain so as the story proceeds, which is something Coper can notice, and is a big reason why Coper takes up the mantle of tank, allowing Kirito to go full-blown DPS.

Last edited by styr; 2013-03-10 at 19:52.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 11:28   Link #215
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Halkegenia Online just got more interesting.

Spoiler for the story so far:
Old 2013-03-11, 15:54   Link #216
AKAAkira
Bookmaker

Shameless plug for my story: The Other Blacksmith (That one's FFnet, AO3 is here if you prefer.)

Summary: If Sinon had been in SAO…then Kirito would've gotten multiple complaints on a scamming blacksmith, and in attempting to resolve this, bite off more than he can chew.

The basic idea was how Sinon would act in the death game...or, more importantly, how I thought she would fight. Thus, inb4InfinityMoment.

That required me to do some of tinkering of known SAO game mechanics, trying to loophole around or take advantage of what specifically haven't been ruled out by what's mentioned in the LNs so far. I don't care if I have to rewrite sections of it in the future, I am making it completely embraceable by canon. ...Well, aside from Sinon being in there in the first place, of course.
AKAAkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 16:22   Link #217
Twi

What about a For Want of a Nail fanfic where Kirito is killed during his duel with Heathcliff on the 75th floor (since Asuna couldn't move) and Asuna and the rest of his friends and harem focus on clearing the other 25 floors in order to get revenge?
Old 2013-03-11, 16:36   Link #218
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
What about a For Want of a Nail fanfic where Kirito is killed during his duel with Heathcliff on the 75th floor (since Asuna couldn't move) and Asuna and the rest of his friends and harem focus on clearing the other 25 floors in order to get revenge?
Well, Kirito did ask Heathcliff to prevent Asuna from committing suicide for some time if he dies, but did never ask him to give her the mood to continue.
As I would take Asuna as the strongest of the Frontliners once Kirito would be gone and she wouldn't have the will to continue with Kirito dead, I think that clearing even 1 more floor would be impossible.
Or... that could make a good tragedy! ... Well, based on how the story went on before that, it would rather be a fail tragedy, heh.
Old 2013-03-16, 04:11   Link #219
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Halkeginia Online latest update (Chapter 9 Part 8) just posted. In which badassery and justice ensues

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 05:42   Link #220
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Halkeginia Online latest update (Chapter 9 Part 8) just posted. In which badassery and justice ensues
Spoiler for Ch9 part8:

Tags
discussion, fanfiction