AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-22, 23:25   Link #1501
Yunbo

Wao. A lot has happen since I haven't been on. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I agree: Alto was temperamental, Sheryl might be a jerk, and Ranka came off way too young in the series on first impression. It seemed to me like all the characters in the 1st movie had already completed the series and came back to redo the whole story in a different way, already grown. Ranka didn't need much confidence anymore. Sheryl understood the meaning of friendship and her bond with both Alto and Ranka earlier on rather than right before Ep.25. And Alto was less of a brat and more centered around helping people, even Ranka, and he cared less about a true sky but rather surviving. It seemed to follow the series rather than rewrite it.(
I think that the 3 went through their personality change before the movie started because they had to jam 25 episodes into a short limited of time. Cause changes like these need to take time, so for a character's personality to change that fast within a short amount of time is unrealistic and erupt. So I think this change was just for the sake of helping the movie flow and not confusing the people who are new to MF.

Did I make sense? I tend to ramble a lot, so if I didn't I totally understand. >3<
Old 2011-09-22, 23:55   Link #1502
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunbo View Post
I think that they went through this personality change before the movie because they had to jam 25 episodes into a short limited of time. Cause changes like these need to take time, so for a character's personality to change that fast within a short amount of time is unrealistic and erupt. So I think this change was just for the sake of helping the movie flow and not confusing the people who are new to MF.

Did I make sense? I tend to ramble a lot, so if I didn't I totally understand. >3<
Yes, I understood it.

But, for someone like me, who has seen the series, realizes this is not how they reacted to each other when they first met. For one thing, even though you say "jam the episodes up," from the very start of the movie with the interaction between just Alto and Sheryl was as if they'd met and bonded for hours or months and were already best friends (like Alto and Ranka). It did not seem realistic considering Sheryl, from the series, was very closed off and distrusting towards others around her until up to Ep.6 or 8. This made you change how you saw her drastically as a character. However, it was a bad change because she seemed more clingly to Alto than in the series, as she relied on him entirely through the battle and especially in the beginning of the movie, which isn't like her character at all who "takes destiny by the hairs."

The first thing I hated about the first movie was Sheryl's earring going missing. It isn't revealed how Sheryl's earring went missing and we are just under the assumption that Alto has it. But when Sheryl approaches both Alto and Ranka in Griffith Park, she acts like they've been friends for years, only showing confusion about to how Ranka knows Aimo. She doesn't acknowledge Alto out of the whole scene, which isn't like her considering how she acted in Ep.3, 8, and 10 when he was a bystander. But also, she inherited Ranka's personality here of being honest and open with those around her very early. This is part of what we AruRan fans mean when we say TV!Ranka becomes Movie!Sheryl. It isn't that her complete personality blends or becomes Sheryl, it's just that certain personality traits that were once only Ranka's become Sheryl's in the movie.

On a certain note, the earring is also not lost in the final battle of the first movie but it apparently is lost in the 2nd movie's first battle (as Alto is thrown from his cockpit in the trailer and film strips, thus reenacting the scene from Ep.7 in a new way).

The next thing I hated about the first movie was how they took away a lot of Ranka's most endearing personality traits or didn't use them anymore. She doesn't explain about being 1/4th Zentradi to the screen (which is something new Macross viewers might be confused about) so her rising hair is left as a questionable trait and appears two or three times out of the whole movie. Her reaction towards Sheryl being with Alto is more like jealousy than just confusion, unlike the TV series. And she fails to become a Songstress of Hope but rather remains a normal idol. Her attachment to Alto and love for him is redefined completely as if they are still complete strangers and Ranka is admiring him from afar, unlike in the series where they actually showed bonding between them, especially when we consider Ep.3, 4, 10, 12, 13, 17, and 21 all had points that showed us they were close, at least as friends. But in the movie, we are left to assume they are just strangers that became friends on a whim with the lack of screen time.

A thing that irritates me about the term "jam 25 episodes into 2 movies" is that they didn't. The first movie covers scenes from Ep.1 through Ep.7 and then the 2nd movie jumps into a new storyline altogether.

When you watch the first movie, and you've seen the series, you realize that they're acting like they finished the series and bonded already and now they're rewriting the story all over again with their new personality changes and growths. As for the second movie, not much knowledge is known, but what you gather from summaries, trailers, and film strips; they take us back to their original aspects from the TV series where they were still growing as friends and comrades.

So, overall, in the triangle goes backwards in the movies from a third person perspective of overall personality changes and bonding in the series and ends up being a con traversal ending to the whole triangle.

(And I'm not saying nothing is canon but I'm regarding my perspective of their personality and relationships in the movies towards the ending.)
Old 2011-09-23, 00:50   Link #1503
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Oh, Yot-chan, you got me wrong on that. I'm not saying it was Sheryl's death wish at all. What I was referring to is when Sheryl didn't know she was dying. Sheryl, especially in Kiss in the Galaxy, expressed she wanted someone to surpass her. And in all fairness, she never stated why, but one can easily tell in the series that the reason she wanted someone to pass her was to give her a reason to feel fulfilled in her dream when she did quit. I'm not saying that she wanted to quit right away but rather have someone who can take over for her. After all, Sheryl already knows she can't sing until she's 100. She'll eventually want other things and so, she helps Ranka accomplish it.
Okay...career death-wish, then. Either way, I think it's nonsense.

Quote:
And yes, Megumi's English was better than May'n's on so many levels, but I explained why above, because her voice allows her to sing it better.
(
No, I think she just studied it harder in school.
Old 2011-09-23, 01:13   Link #1504
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Okay...career death-wish, then. Either way, I think it's nonsense.
Oh yes, I can see Sheryl singing till she's died of old age. I doubt that's her wish or dream in life. She makes it very clear that she wants more out of life: marriage, children, and to live life to the fullest. I doubt she'll sing forever.

Quote:
No, I think she just studied it harder in school.
I agree.
Old 2011-09-23, 02:15   Link #1505
Yunbo

Spoiler for Response to LMK:
Old 2011-09-23, 09:24   Link #1506
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Oh yes, I can see Sheryl singing till she's died of old age. I doubt that's her wish or dream in life. She makes it very clear that she wants more out of life: marriage, children, and to live life to the fullest. I doubt she'll sing forever.
Erm...maybe you're mixing up Sheryl with Minmay...? Minmay comes out and says, "I want to be a bride!" I don't remember Sheryl saying any such thing.

What I do remember Sheryl saying is, "I used to sing to live. Now I live to sing." Does that sound like someone who wants to retire...?
Old 2011-09-23, 10:43   Link #1507
Lancel

Meeh, while I do agree Sheryl wants a lot out of life, I'm not convinced she'd accept being surpassed and just leaving it that way. She's going to keep singing largely because she can't help herself, and I suspect that largely goes the same for stage shows and song writing. Broad interests maybe, but I feel she's mostly just impulsive, poking at all sorts of things and it depends on what holds her interests long. I mean she jumped at Alto, Ranka, EX-Gears, flying, running around Frontier, and so on. Mostly singing/songwriting/performances seems to be what holds her interests consistently, and of course Alto and Ranka.

Sheryl and Ranka sing in fairly unique ways besides that. I imagine Ranka isn't going to sing Pink Monsoon the same way as Sheryl, just as I imagine Sheryl isn't going to sing that fluffy teddy bear song the same way as Ranka.
Old 2011-09-23, 10:50   Link #1508
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Even my mother understood that by "us" I was meaning towards the argument between you and I. There was no one else involved in that argument.
Right, so your mother shares your delusions. Any other critics from your household you want to bring forth?

Quote:
So basically, you contradict your words of love towards May'n by saying she's bad at singing. Actually, May'n's Welcome to My Fan Club's Night had amazing English lyrics that she sang very well, even in Iteza Gogo Kuuji Don't Be Late, she vocalized the lyrics perfectly.
You can be the greatest singer in the world and still not able to speak a particular language correctly, is that too difficult to comprehend?

Quote:
You know what, you've never heard me sing in Japanese, so shit to you too. You have no idea if I'm good at singing Japanese or translating it because you've never seen me do it. So contrary to what you might believe, you are in the wrong for even stating that.

And what I talk about with Japan is what I've either read about or learned from those who lived in Japan or visited. I do not fabricate things.
I neither wish to hear you nor do I care if you sing in Japanese. It is utterly irrelevant. The fact stands: You cannot speak Japanese, you cannot read Japanese let alone write it, and you never lived in Japan. This makes you a terrible conduit of information and a torrent of misinterpretation since you base your knowledge of Japan mostly upon hearsay.

Allow me to remind you that some of us are currently living in Japan. Yot & Karice for example, reside in Japan currently, while I grew up in the damn country! We can do just fine getting first-hand information without your meddling. Even so, we are very well aware that our information may not always be correct. Yet the difference between us and you is simple, we are able to discern for ourselves if the information we receive is considered legitimate or a general fallacy. You on the other hand...

Quote:
Honestly, you actually borderline on making me actually curse you out
Considering what I do for a living, I am pretty used to it.

- Tak (Hey Cheesie & Natsu, I demand a return & refund nao!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-09-23 at 18:03.
Old 2011-09-23, 10:55   Link #1509
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
Cheesie's S&M slave?
Old 2011-09-23, 11:01   Link #1510
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Cheesie's S&M slave?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-09-23, 11:49   Link #1511
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You guys are weird.

Old 2011-09-24, 00:51   Link #1512
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
/Lurks off

Quote:

- Tak (Hey Cheesie & Natsu, I demand a return & refund nao!)
What is this fallacy about return-refund? You love your harem! I owe you nothing since you certainly seems to enjoy every second of those S&--- errr, I mean, those!

(Just to put Takky's flaming heart into ease (?), Takky you will forever be the bottom in my pure heart! That's why I cannot ship thee with LMK, since you obviously will be topping, and I don't want a topping!Takky in my Takky ship list~)

(On another note, shouldn't the Northern Cross Discussion be on Music Thread? )

Old 2011-09-24, 00:56   Link #1513
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
What is this fallacy about return-refund? You love your harem! I owe you nothing since you certainly seems to enjoy every second of it!
Honey, you ought to tell me who you are bringing in. Some aren't very friendly... takes a bit of an effort to erm... pacify, and I am kind of erm, lazy.

I prefer to get straight to business

- Tak (speaking of harems, I have been watching Tenchi Muyo again for some odd reason...)

Old 2011-09-24, 01:06   Link #1514
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Erm...maybe you're mixing up Sheryl with Minmay...? Minmay comes out and says, "I want to be a bride!" I don't remember Sheryl saying any such thing.

What I do remember Sheryl saying is, "I used to sing to live. Now I live to sing." Does that sound like someone who wants to retire...?
People change over time is all I'm saying.

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-12-07 at 06:47.
Old 2011-09-24, 01:06   Link #1515
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Honey, you ought to tell me who you are bringing in. Some aren't very friendly... takes a bit of an effort to erm... pacify, and I am kind of erm, lazy.
- Tak
Tsk, tsk. I certainly see the contrary to all this statement, my dear M!Takky. <3

/Runs to catch a train now. GOOD BYE FREE WIFI /sob

Old 2011-09-24, 09:30   Link #1516
Tak

Quote:
Sheryl might retire and decide to settle down?
So Ranka & Ai-Kun eventually settled down... and...

... ... oh boy...

- Tak

Old 2011-09-24, 10:02   Link #1517
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
People change over time is all I'm saying.
Oh. I thought that you said that Sheryl DEFINITELY wanted to retire and settle down. I guess I was mistaken...
Old 2011-09-24, 22:11   Link #1518
Darthtabby

Wasn't it strongly indicated that Sheryl was lying in an attempt to piss Alto off and drive him away when she said that stuff about having already accomplished everything she wanted in terms of singing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
Sheryl came to the Frontier already a star in her own right from Galaxy. I assume, unless otherwise stated, that the songs she performs in the content of this story's timeline were already written, and just deemed poignant for that moment in the story.
I can see Sheryl writing some new songs after she decided to do those charity concerts for the people of Frontier. Yousei gives the impression of being something new. Granted Northern Cross doesn't really give this impression so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
I always interpreted the Northern Star bit as a nod to Alto's love of the sky. In a bygone era, someone with a lust for adventure might, rather than flying in the sky, be pulled out into the sea, seeking adventure as a sailor. Polaris would be the guiding star for such sailors, "leading" or even "pulling"/"snatching" them from their beloved. Especially folk songs from the British Isles use this motif, like The Dark-Eyed Lady. But there are plenty of examples all over anime where Space is an Ocean, as well, so the idea of a woman pining for a lost lover seeking his adventure in the stars would be a low-hanging fruit for a woman writing songs in a place like Galaxy, filled with flyboys who presumably left lovers behind when they took to the skies.
I can see where you're coming from. Heck, I didn't really see the references to the Northern Star as referring to Ranka either. But the lines about what the Northern Star is doing seem to fit her so well. Otherwise why was the line about the Northern Star crying included? I can see the burning part, but why crying?
Old 2011-09-24, 22:30   Link #1519
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Oh. I thought that you said that Sheryl DEFINITELY wanted to retire and settle down. I guess I was mistaken...
And I just don't see someone doing one thing their whole life. Otherwise, that would be boring. Plus, eventually, she might want other things. That isn't shocking. Humans always want more out of life, as we know. Sheryl Nome is no exception. I doubt she sings till she actually dies of old age. There are many other things she want that eventually must come first. Just like Alto was born to be an actor who longed for the sky and he left acting to fly, then made amends with it. Their desires change over time.
Old 2011-09-24, 22:37   Link #1520
Tak

Quote:
And I just don't see someone doing one thing their whole life. Otherwise, that would be boring.
Quote:
Sheryl Nome is no exception. I doubt she sings till she actually dies of old age.
Elvis, Michael Jackson, Rolling Stones...

Quote:
There are many other things she want that eventually must come first.
She can perfectly handle a singing career as well as commit to other activities, its called multitasking. Most humans are able to do just that.

- Tak

Closed Thread