Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-24, 13:48   Link #7341
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It's an old report but, luckily, it's not very time-sensitive. It's an interesting story worth sharing, I thought.

My colleague and I immediately started consoling ourselves — it's so touching, we're not outcasts any more (*sob*sob*sniff*sniff*)! You see, the nature of our jobs is such that we take turns to go out for meals, which usually means we end up eating alone at nearby canteens or hawker stalls.

Mock consolation aside though, I do, in fact, eat out and go out alone pretty often. Like the university students polled above, I regard it as a different way of life and not a result of being unsociable. I simply enjoy the freedom of doing my own stuff at my own pace without having to put up with other people's tempers and moods. My thoughts alone keep me plenty busy!

At least two good female friends of mine have expressed opinions ranging between pity and bemusement, with respect to my preference for "flying solo". Admittedly, it's not a common lifestyle, and it did use to worry me once. But since taking up my present job, I've literally found myself in similar company (lame pun intended). The demands of the profession are really such that they effectively kill almost all hope of social life, a situation many of us apparently don't seem to mind very much.

So, to my fellow loners out there, you don't have to feel alone (yes, another lame pun!). In fact, someone has already been kind enough to publish an entire book outlining the loners' manifesto:

However, it is an entirely different case for us in our society. One of the reasons I was picked on and bullied in secondary school is because I enjoy being alone instead of being with people, making me a perfect victim because nobody would care.

Also, there is some sort of pervading bias inculcated amongst people that those who go solo are antisocial and schizophrenic (second part is probably "true" for me since a dumb psychiatrist diagnosed me with it), and tend to be less intelligent. It's the opposite since most of these loners tend to be overly self-sufficient and too used to relying on their wit than on others.

Teamwork and social-skills are over-emphasised till it leads to the marginalisation of these loners. Thank goodness the Internet came to the rescue : no longer have I need to put up with people who try to leech or rip me at every turn of our "friendship".

P.S For those who are mocking me and say that I am not smart and emotionally mature enough to become a day trader, and been telling me to "brush up my social skills so I can go out to work for a living", go to hell. Nobody tells me what to do now, so screw your "anti-social", "self-wrecking" and "unrealistic rubbish of the society" concepts.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-24, 14:44   Link #7342
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

My response upon hearing the changes to history books in Texas:

I'm glad I graduated 8 years ago.
Old 2010-05-24, 16:43   Link #7343
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
My response upon hearing the changes to history books in Texas:

I'm glad I graduated 8 years ago.
Its a shorter and shorter march to a merged vision of Idiocracy and 1984 (history rewrite doublegood). This would only be bad for Texas except that it is one of the largest buyers of text books and the industry kowtows to its dictates. This leaves the other 49 states having to deal with the crapola books that result. Sigh, I should mail back my Displaced Texan: Ambassador credentials...

"You have to understand, these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know... morons!" -- "Waco Kid" in Blazing Saddles
Old 2010-05-24, 22:21   Link #7344
Seitsuki
Onee!

kinda like how every country flavours their text-books to show their own side of the story? (Russia, China, Japan, etcetc...)

the problem is that there is almost no 'unbiased view' as human nature is that it is almost impossible to not take sides. (case in point: so called neutral countries during war are secretly supportive of one side or the other.) all you can do is throw in equal amounts of both and hope that the receiver is intelligent enough to make their own decisions.

however that approach for some reason is seen as very 'liberal'. (or at least to me.) the idea of emphasizing and empathizing with 'the other side', never mind maybe sympathizing, seems to be frowned upon by conservatives who prefer the whole 'we were right' approach. hence ideas such as 'McCarthyism wasn't that bad' and 'wanting to keep slaves wasn't the problem it was unity'.

personally those changes aren't so much what is irritating me, but rather the amount of people who seem to support this. but that's politics again.
Old 2010-05-24, 23:59   Link #7345
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Asian stocks fall as debt fears rattle markets

Quote:
(Reuters) - Asian stocks fell to multi-month lows and the euro slipped on Tuesday on fears that Europe's sovereign debt woes will trigger a renewed crisis in the continent's banking sector.

Europe's fumbling response to a Greek debt crisis and bulging deficits in other euro zone countries have unnerved markets over the past six weeks, and the central bank takeover of a small Spanish lender at the weekend stoked fears of a wider meltdown.

"This situation with the Spanish bank makes investors nervous because it raises suspicions that something else may be smoldering behind the scenes," said Hiroichi Nishi, equity division general manager at Nikko Cordial Securities in Tokyo.

Funding conditions for banks have also been tightening, with firms in the United States increasingly reluctant to deal with firms with large exposure to Europe.

"Investors are selling into every rally in the euro," said Jonathan Cavenagh, currency strategist at Australia's Westpac.

"Worries about the euro debt crisis are showing signs of spilling over to the banking sector with funding costs rising, albeit from very low levels. All this will only see more demand for U.S. dollars."

Japan's Nikkei average .N225 fell 2.4 percent, hitting its lowest level in more than 5 months and only around 26 points above a key support level at 9,500. The index has fallen around 16 percent from an 18-month high in early April. .T

MSCI's broadest measure of Asia-Pacific shares outside of Japan .MIAPJ0000PUS dived 2.9 percent to its lowest in 8 months.

Exporters exposed to the European market were heavy losers, with camera maker Canon (7751.T) down 2.4 percent and rival Nikon (7731.T) falling 5 percent.

In Seoul, where the benchmark index lost 3.6 percent also amid heightened tensions with North Korea, Hyundai Motor (005380.KS) slid 5.4 percent as investors took the opportunity to lock in gains from a rally last month. .KS

EURO SQUEEZE

The euro was under pressure as a recent short covering bounce faded. Traders said with liquidity in the foreign exchange market showing signs of drying up, investors were likely to shelter in the relative safe haven of the dollar.

The euro slipped to $1.2315 from around $1.2376 late in New York on Monday, when it lost more than 1.5 percent. Against the yen, the euro eased to around 111.00 from 111.78 on Monday, when it lost more than 1 percent.

The South Korean won fell 4.5 percent to a 10-month low against the dollar amid a sharp rise in tensions on the peninsula after Seoul accused communist North Korea of sinking one of its warships.

The U.S. dollar and the Japanese yen tend to gain when there is a spike in volatility and loss in risk appetite. The dollar index .DXY was up 0.6 percent at 86.71.

The worries of a fresh financial crisis boosted the safe haven appeal of gold and U.S. and Asian government debt, with Japanese government bond futures rising to near a two-year high on Tuesday. U.S. Treasury prices had risen on Monday.

June 10-year JGB futures were up 0.25 point at 140.40, not far from a two-year high of 140.61 hit late last week. The benchmark 10-year yield fell 2.5 basis points to 1.225, near a five-month low of 1.220 percent.

U.S. crude futures fell more than 1 percent to below $70 a barrel, erasing the previous day's gains, on concerns the European crisis will choke off the nascent economic recovery. NYMEX crude for July delivery was down 72 cents at $69.49.

Gold weakened in Asia after a rally overnight. Spot gold was bid at 1,190.44 an ounce by 0255 GMT versus $1,194.95 an ounce at 1804 GMT.
This is a golden opportunity to buy some black and yellow gold! (pun intended)

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-25, 04:48   Link #7346
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its a shorter and shorter march to a merged vision of Idiocracy and 1984 (history rewrite doublegood). This would only be bad for Texas except that it is one of the largest buyers of text books and the industry kowtows to its dictates. This leaves the other 49 states having to deal with the crapola books that result. Sigh, I should mail back my Displaced Texan: Ambassador credentials...

"You have to understand, these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know... morons!" -- "Waco Kid" in Blazing Saddles
I truly wish science would return to the forefront of American thought, unfortunately the only thing America's youth can think of is becoming the next "American Idol" or making it big in the Big Leagues. Entertainers rule the world, and it seems Texas is trying to increase the market for entertainment with their "education" system.
Old 2010-05-25, 05:11   Link #7347
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I truly wish science would return to the forefront of American thought, unfortunately the only thing America's youth can think of is becoming the next "American Idol" or making it big in the Big Leagues. Entertainers rule the world, and it seems Texas is trying to increase the market for entertainment with their "education" system.
They already did. It's pretty funny to see people getting hooked onto automated trading programs with a "Made In USA" stamped on its side.

Forgive my morbid sense of humour, but it's really hilarious seeing many millionaire trader-wannabes buying into it.

EDIT :

North Korea cuts ties with South

Quote:
(Reuters) - North Korea said Tuesday it was severing all ties with the South and threatened its wealthy neighbor with military action if it continued to violate its waters off the west coast.

The comments mark a new high in tensions on the divided peninsula after the March sinking of a South Korean warship, which Seoul blames on a torpedo fired by the North.

The increasingly war-like rhetoric earlier hit Seoul's financial markets, prompting policymakers to call an emergency meeting Wednesday to look for ways to calm investors.

"The Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea .... formally declares that from now on it will put into force the resolute measures to totally freeze the inter-Korean relations, totally abrogate the agreement on non-aggression between the north and the south and completely halt the inter-Korean cooperation," the North's KCNA news agency reported.

It will also expel personnel from the Kaesong industrial park, a joint North-South venture just inside its border. But it was not immediately clear what impact that would have on factories operating there.

The industrial estate, in which South Korean firms employ cheap North Korean labor, has long been an important source of revenue for the Pyongyang leadership.

North Korea earlier warned the South that if it continued to cross into its side of their disputed sea border -- the scene of deadly clashes in the past -- the North would "put into force practical military measures to defend its waters."

The furious war of words -- the North referred to the South's government as "military gangsters, seized by fever for a war" -- follows a report by international investigators last week which accused the hermit North of torpedoing the Cheonan corvette in March, killing 46 sailors.

Monday, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak cut trade with his impoverished neighbor and blocked its commercial ships from sailing through the South's waters.

He also plans to take the issue to the U.N. Security Council.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in China on Tuesday that Washington and Beijing would work together to come up with an "effective, appropriate" response to the sinking.

Clinton said both sides should examine the issue over time, suggesting quick Security Council action was unlikely.

"(China) shares with us the goal of a denuclearised Korean Peninsula and a period of careful consideration in order to determine the best way forward in dealing with North Korea."

But while Washington has condemned the sinking, China has refused to publicly castigate its volatile ally.

RUSSIA SEEKS RESTRAINT

Russia, which like China and the United States holds a veto in the Security Council, urged restraint.

China, the North's only major ally and which effectively bankrolls its economy, has studiously tried to keep out of the fray, urging calm and refusing to voice support for the international report on the Cheonan sinking.

It means that South Korea has almost no chance of winning further U.N. sanctions against its neighbor.

The issue is certain to dominate talks in Seoul on Wednesday with Clinton, who is arriving from Beijing.

Most analysts doubt either side would risk a war, which would be suicidal for the North and economy-ruining for the South.

Key economic and financial authorities will meet early on Wednesday to discuss ways to stabilize local financial markets.

Some in the market saw the selling -- which took stocks on the main index to their lowest close in 15 weeks -- as overdone and triggered mostly by foreign selling.

"North Korea and related risks have always been there. It is like telling investors to quit the Japanese market because it has earthquakes. War is wanted neither by the North nor the South," one fund manager at a foreign investment management house said.

Both sides have stepped up their rhetoric over the Cheonan incident, one of their deadliest since the 1950-53 Korean War.

The North charged South Korea's government with fabricating the issue, partly to help the ruling party in next week's local elections -- important to cement President Lee's power in the second half of his single five-year term.

The incident appears to have done nothing to dent Lee's popularity, which one recent opinion poll shows running at well over 40 percent, unusually high for recent South Korean presidents halfway through their term.

A strong showing for Lee's party in the June 2 local election, which many expect, will give him greater authority to push aside a fragmented opposition in parliament and continue with sweeping pro-business reforms.

His rule has also seen relations with the North turn increasingly chilly as he turned his back on a decade of generous aid to the North by his predecessors which had failed to end its attempts to build nuclear weapons.

Some worry pushing North Korean leader Kim Jong-il too far may leave him little choice but to fight back to try to save his family's more than 60-year hold over the destitute country as he tries to secure the succession for his youngest son.

Analysts say the main risk is that small skirmishes along the heavily armed border could turn into broader conflict.
That's not all......

Obama tells military: prepare for North Korea aggression

Quote:
(Reuters) - President Barack Obama has directed the U.S. military to coordinate with South Korea to "ensure readiness" and deter future aggression from North Korea, the White House said on Monday.

The United States gave strong backing to plans by South Korean President Lee Myung-bak to punish North Korea for sinking one of its naval ships, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said in a statement.

The White House urged North Korea to apologize and change its behavior, he said.

"We endorse President Lee's demand that North Korea immediately apologize and punish those responsible for the attack, and, most importantly, stop its belligerent and threatening behavior," Gibbs said.

"U.S. support for South Korea's defense is unequivocal, and the president has directed his military commanders to coordinate closely with their Republic of Korea counterparts to ensure readiness and to deter future aggression," he said.

Obama and Lee have agreed to meet at the G20 summit in Canada next month, he said.

Late last week, a team of international investigators accused North Korea of torpedoing the Cheonan corvette in March, killing 46 sailors in one of the deadliest clashes between the two since the 1950-53 Korean War.

Lee said on Monday South Korea would bring the issue before the U.N., whose past sanctions have damaged the already ruined North Korean economy.

The United States still has about 28,000 troops in South Korea to provide military support.

The two Koreas, still technically at war, have more than 1 million troops near their border.

"We will build on an already strong foundation of excellent cooperation between our militaries and explore further enhancements to our joint posture on the Peninsula as part of our ongoing dialogue," Gibbs said.

Gibbs said the United States supported Lee's plans to bring the issue to the United Nations Security Council and would work with allies to "reduce the threat that North Korea poses to regional stability."

Obama had also directed U.S. agencies to evaluate existing policies toward North Korea.

"This review is aimed at ensuring that we have adequate measures in place and to identify areas where adjustments would be appropriate," he said.
I got a bad feeling that US is going to lose this war.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-05-25 at 12:43.
Old 2010-05-25, 18:21   Link #7348
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

The US isn't going to lose any war with North Korea.

The North Korean military, while having a lot of manpower, has pretty crappy hardware.

Seoul will probably get hit but after that initial barrage, they'll get crushed by air strikes and artillery of our own.

China won't interfere militarily to save their ass like the past.
Old 2010-05-25, 18:43   Link #7349
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
They already did. It's pretty funny to see people getting hooked onto automated trading programs with a "Made In USA" stamped on its side.

Forgive my morbid sense of humour, but it's really hilarious seeing many millionaire trader-wannabes buying into it.

EDIT :

North Korea cuts ties with South

That's not all......

Obama tells military: prepare for North Korea aggression

I don't even want a war, North Korea should know what war won't be beneficial for Korea as a whole. Obama should try to avoid war at all cost and make sure solve this issue peacefully.
Old 2010-05-25, 18:44   Link #7350
Nosauz

At this point the status quo is favored in the power balance in the pacific, the last thing China wants, is a stronger military presence in Korea and surrounding China, most likely in China's best interest they might even deny North Korea of aid to prevent a breakout in war. Especially wtih the economic instability in Europe I'm pretty sure the Asian nations don't want any more instability after the near collapse of the global banking system.
Old 2010-05-25, 19:54   Link #7351
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
The US isn't going to lose any war with North Korea.
Do we have to go to war? This is going to be senseless violence. Telling the military to get ready for North Korea aggression is bad. We have no idea what will happen.

Quote:
I share the pessimism. This is just going to strain the economy even further and going to cause even further bad blood as a result. Not just for Korea but for a lot of other countries. We may lose it, but we have nukes. I'm somewhat unnerved about the prospect about N. Korea having nukes.

Quote:
The North Korean military, while having a lot of manpower, has pretty crappy hardware.
Don't know whether or not it's true but if it's not true, the US is in for a surprise. If it's true then good for us.

Quote:
Seoul will probably get hit but after that initial barrage, they'll get crushed by air strikes and artillery of our own.
I guess attacking from the air is the safest way for our side. Maybe. I hope our troops won't be over there for long if that is the case. I'd rather see this over and done with. Without the use of violence, but we all know where this is heading.

Quote:
I don't even want a war, North Korea should know what war won't be beneficial for Korea as a whole. Obama should try to avoid war at all cost and make sure solve this issue peacefully.
This is The United States of America we are talking about.

W/e. I can't even care anymore. I hope both sides see how retarded this is and come to a compromise or some sort of agreement... But of course we also know what N. Korea thinks of the US. We also know how US is, so this won't end well. At all.
Old 2010-05-25, 20:35   Link #7352
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Do we have to go to war? This is going to be senseless violence. Telling the military to get ready for North Korea aggression is bad. We have no idea what will happen.
Yes, yes you do.
Unlike Iran/Iraq, this is actually an obligation.

At the point US prohibits Japan from having its own military, and instead have US bases there, US HAS to interfere with any agression in the region caused by a rogue nation like North Korea.

Besides, South Korea and Japan both are crucial nations to US economy.
Old 2010-05-25, 21:13   Link #7353
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

there is also a huge difference between NK and iraq/afghanston/vietnam. Unlike those other countries the US don't have to built a government or sent in a police force. SK can provide all that. The US can sit back and provide logistics and cash.

Also as big as the NK army, it is underpaid, underfed and out of date. And China will not interfere if NK is stupid enough to make the first strike. They will just close there Northern borders with NK.
Old 2010-05-25, 21:23   Link #7354
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Doesn't seem likely - at least, not in the near future. I'm not sure how science is taught these days, but the way I initially learned it made the whole thing seem rather glorious. Single scientists were credited with all sorts of amazing discoveries. How wonderful would it be to go down in history as the man who cured cancer, or HIV, and so on. But then the reality hits: science today has become far too complex for a single man to make a breakthrough (and realistically speaking, the scientists cited in the history books very likely had a lot of help as well). Your individual contribution will likely never be recognized - you'll be recognized as part of a team.

To the youth, how boring must that seem? Singers are made famous largely for the individuals (even individuals within a band will develop their own fanbases); sports players, even though they may be on a team, can also be made famous for their accomplishments; CEO's and others like them seemingly stand alone, commanding power, money, and respect. These careers are all "easier" and far more glamorous than science (but God bless Valve for glorifying science as they did in Half-Life and Portal - at least someone's trying).

Until people get more comfortable with working in groups and foregoing personal fame and rewards, and until they think of science (and perhaps hard work in general) as being something worthwhile to dedicate their lives to, we won't find many people going into science. I'm a graduate student, and the people I encounter in science are rarely in it because they love the science. There's almost always an ulterior motive - something to improve job prospects, or a method to get citizenship. The work is hard, the results are expected to fail 50% of the time (true statistic), and the lack of co-workers who approach what they're doing with a passion are all very hard on even the most passionate scientists.

I also participated in some programs aimed at getting kids interested in science at the elementary school level. I'll never forget how one single kid out of my group of about 10 told me that he wanted to be an inventor (closest thing to a scientist that I'd heard), yet his mother told him that he was being ridiculous and that he should do something else. Sigh.
Old 2010-05-25, 22:15   Link #7355
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Yes, yes you do.

At the point US prohibits Japan from having its own military, and instead have US bases there, US HAS to interfere with any agression in the region caused by a rogue nation like North Korea.

What do you mean obligation? Going to war in a country which already has its own army and meddling in other's business is the obligation of the US? I don't know about you, but I thought Americans are smart enough to see the whole situation clearly (look up the posts, those people are talking sense).......

Personally I don't see why Japan has to be involved in this possible Korea war, and even if it does the JSDF can handle the things N. Korea can throw at them.

Quote:
You are a really selfish and arrogant arse, if i am honest. What you said just insulted the people of Japan and South Korea and in the meantime explained why many people in the world don't like Americans very much. It is people like YOU disgracing your own people on the internet, showing arrogance while displaying no intelligence at all.

I am nobody, just a simple resource cabinet.....
Old 2010-05-25, 22:27   Link #7356
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiZero View Post
What do you mean obligation? Going to war in a country which already has its own army and meddling in other's business is the obligation of the US? I don't know about you, but I thought Americans are smart enough to see the whole situation clearly (look up the posts, those people are talking sense).......

Personally I don't see why Japan has to be involved in this possible Korea war, and even if it does the JSDF can handle the things N. Korea can throw at them.
WTF? America don't have obligation? South Korea is an ally of USA and so is Japan, if North Korea invades the South US has to keep its promise and protect it. Also the fact that Japanese military have been limited by the Americans that is more reason for Americans to be invovled.

And why can't Japan be invovled in the possible Korean War? What happens in Korea effect them as well, they have their own interest and the reason to be invovled (though I prefer Japan not be invovled).

Quote:
You are a really selfish and arrogant arse, if i am honest. What you said just insulted the people of Japan and South Korea and in the meantime explained why many people in the world don't like Americans very much. It is people like YOU disgracing your own people on the internet, showing arrogance while displaying no intelligence at all.
Old 2010-05-25, 22:44   Link #7357
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
You realize he's from Japan right? And even if he were American, there is nothing offensive about his posts. Nations should only get involved in wars for their own self interest. This isn't about arrogance or selfishness, it is about protecting your own citizens.
Old 2010-05-25, 22:45   Link #7358
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

turn off the computer and go a library (that big building with lots of books in it). and ask for some books (Books are that square thing made of paper with words printed with ink)on the end of WWII and the treaties between the US and Japan. Then ask for some books on the Korean War and look up the treaty between the US and South Korea.
Old 2010-05-25, 23:19   Link #7359
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Yes, yes you do.

At the point US prohibits Japan from having its own military, and instead have US bases there, US HAS to interfere with any agression (sic) in the region caused by a rogue nation like North Korea.

And I thought I was the only one with logical sense here to know about this. Thank goodness I am not, or I would have made a fool out of myself.

The NK and SK armistice signed back in 1951 was not a peace treaty, but rather a holding ceasefire. If I am not wrong, NK refused to recognise it anymore in 2008 or 2009, so both countries are now technically at an AOW (All-Out War). N.K made the first strike by torpedoing the Cheonan, and now we have to wait for the second for something to happen.

Given that US is economically overstretched and its military is spreaded out in many countries, I doubt it can provide real assistance to North Korea. Besides, I think China has a mutual obligation (probably signed) to help defend North Korea in times of conflict, no matter who strikes first.

N.K's weapons may be outdated, but as long as it still work to the extent of sinking a technologically superior SK ship, and that their forces outnumber SK's, the latter may not be able to hold back an assault. I am not sure if this is a good example, but if we take a look at Pakistan's Special Services Group, which is armed with dated weaponry like the German G3 and first generation MP5s, they are still an effective force to fight the Taliban and India.

Quote:

No matter how much technology you have, wars are pretty much won by attrition and swarming tactics combined with precise timing. I am not sure if I will get a coffee session with my local intel agency for saying this, but SpecOps troopers often SWARM buildings in hostage rescue situations, unless the building is in an isolated area. VBSS teams are often sent in bigger number than the hostage takers.

It would take more than just S.K's conscription force to hold back N.K at the 38th. And then again, since theirs is a conscription-reservist military, it could draw backlash from the mums and dads who have their sons serving their temporary services : mine occasionally have parents making noise over the newspapers about National Service, so if there's a war, combined with a NIMBY mindset of certain parents, it could highly be a recall disaster to hold the frontlines.

Quote:
You may be honest but you got your facts wrong. If you can't even use the simplest Wikipedia or Google to substantiate your arguments, you can go fly a kite.

Seriously please read up before you make an argument. Your harebrained lambasting isn't going to make this discussion anymore productive.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-05-25 at 23:34.
Old 2010-05-25, 23:38   Link #7360
Joojoobees

Quote:
I truly wish science would return to the forefront of American thought, unfortunately the only thing America's youth can think of is becoming the next "American Idol" s trying to increase the market for entertainment with their "education" system.
That is a good point. Young folks are rarely encouraged to do Science as a profession, and our society worships "entertainers".

I'm even more worried about the outright hostility towards science as being "elitist" and not reflecting the worldview people want it to (as if that was its purpose). There is more and more talk about scientists conspiring to blah blah blah. As if all the scientists have gathered together to think of tricks to play on the good (non-scientist) people. One day the scientists spread lies about the food we like to eat. The next they are telling us that the climate is changing. And worst of all, they wave their advanced degrees around as if that means they know something we don't know.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international