AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 24 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 32 27.12%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 13.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 9.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 11.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 11.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 3.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 5.08%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 14.41%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-30, 14:01   Link #201
AdmirerofSatenRuiko

@Mentatsumi
Aside from the moral issue with the mass murderer, one of my biggest problem with Sisters Arc is that for me it's Index material, has no place in Railgun, for which my basis is anime-original. It has strong points indeed, but it fails bringing the Railgun atmosphere, charter-focus and everything else I like about Railgun. And for me, those are the most important things. That's why I love the Silent Party Arc so much even with it's weaknesses and think that it's the true pinnacle.
Saten was damn cool in my opinion, just like the others.

@LazyHunter
Yeah, I understand you. For me, Railgun is separate from Index, and I don't really care about the 'main' franchise.
I hope you will enjoy many Index adaptation in the future.
AdmirerofSatenRuiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 14:03   Link #202
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerofSatenRuiko View Post
@Mentatsumi
Aside from the moral issue with the mass murderer
Can you please read the post I just made before yours?
Old 2013-09-30, 14:10   Link #203
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
@Mentatsumi
Aside from the moral issue with the mass murderer, one of my biggest problem with Sisters Arc is that for me it's Index material, has no place in Railgun, for which my basis is anime-original. It has strong points indeed, but it fails bringing the Railgun atmosphere, charter-focus and everything else I like about Railgun. And for me, those are the most important things. That's why I love the Silent Party Arc so much even with it's weaknesses and think that it's the true pinnacle.
Then can we please have Misaka Mikoto back as one of our main heroine full time, instead of her wasting time on this "protagonist" part time gig =_=?

You can keep the rest of the cast of course, but seeing as how Mikoto plays a part in several Index material, I doubt you would want to have her around anyway.

As an added bonus I'm okay with you keeping Kuroko, Uiharu and Kongou- But we'll be needing Misaki for something later.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-09-30 at 15:43.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 14:16   Link #204
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

@AdmirerofSatenRuiko I may have over-reacted in my previous post, so please excuse me. But I will stay on my position that the atmosphere the Sisters Arc brought into Railgun was one hell of a breeze of fresh air.

But as LazyHunter said, there's also the fact that it's after the Sisters Arc which was a much more pleasant surprise than expected.

As such I won't deny that part of the reason I disliked Silent Party is due to the pleasant time I had with the Sisters Arc. Regardless I still cannot put aside the flaws that the Silent Party has, no matter how much of a quality arc it could be without standing in the same season as the Sisters Arc.

Last edited by Natsurin; 2013-09-30 at 14:17. Reason: Typo
Natsurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 14:22   Link #205
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

...Oh right, ITEM as well.

Misaka Mikoto, Shokuhou Misaki, Mugino Shizuru and the rest of ITEM have no place here in this "atmosphere" ~_~
Old 2013-09-30, 14:24   Link #206
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

@Chaos2Frozen ...Can I get to keep my Frenda/Mugino screens from Railgun S or do I have to give them back as well in that case?
Old 2013-09-30, 14:26   Link #207
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentatsumi View Post
@Chaos2Frozen ...Can I get to keep my Frenda/Mugino screens from Railgun S or do I have to give them back as well in that case?
Nope, everything goes back

We can't leave any traces of grimdark Index material here.
Old 2013-09-30, 14:28   Link #208
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

It must be happy-go lucky 100% of the time!
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 14:30   Link #209
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

@Chaos2Frozen & ACertainStark : Okay, okay. Farewell any grim atmosphered screenshot of Railgun. This despair-lover will miss you.
Old 2013-09-30, 14:30   Link #210
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:

Only the four girl band in Railgun. Segregate all of Railgun from Index and vice-versa.
Get Mikoto out of Index.
Old 2013-09-30, 14:31   Link #211
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Only the four girl band in Railgun. Segregate all of Railgun from Index and vice-versa.
Get Mikoto out of Index.
Silly, just replace Mikoto with Milk-sempai or Kongou.

...Ah, what about Telestina?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-09-30 at 14:45.
Old 2013-09-30, 14:49   Link #212
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Silly, just replace Mikoto with Milk-sempai or Kongou.

...Ah, what about Telestina?
Telestina isn't grimdark enough. Keep her in Railgun.
Old 2013-09-30, 14:58   Link #213
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
Third, Mikoto using freaking freaking freaking Accelerator as an example to show that the world isn't as shallow as it might seem. This point makes my brains explode and turns my intestines into a fine mess, but oh well.
When was this? If it's the line I think it is (in the scene when Misaka stops the guy from shooting himself), it doesn't really make sense at all considering the timeline.

As much as I want it to be referring to Accelerator, she's most likely talking about Touma.
Old 2013-09-30, 16:39   Link #214
AdmirerofSatenRuiko

@Ilidsor
I read your post about Accelarator, it was interesting and indeed proved the complexity of the issue. Still, it doesn't change how I view him too much, especially after what I saw in the first half of the arc, that was too much for me. Suppose the Sisters were really just lifeless dolls, human-like robots or anything similar. I would still find him creepy. And I just can't understand why he's so popular.

@Chaos2Frozen
I only meant that for me the Sisters Arc feels alien in the Railgun anime. I may have used wrong words. What you started has nothing to do with my thoughts, I would never want such extreme character separation. I only want the Railgun anime to be similar to what they built up in Season 1, not similar to Index.
AdmirerofSatenRuiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 17:05   Link #215
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
@Ilidsor
I read your post about Accelarator, it was interesting and indeed proved the complexity of the issue. Still, it doesn't change how I view him too much, especially after what I saw in the first half of the arc, that was too much for me. Suppose the Sisters were really just lifeless dolls, human-like robots or anything similar. I would still find him creepy. And I just can't understand why he's so popular.

@Chaos2Frozen
I only meant that for me the Sisters Arc feels alien in the Railgun anime. I may have used wrong words. What you started has nothing to do with my thoughts, I would never want such extreme character separation. I only want the Railgun anime to be similar to what they built up in Season 1, not similar to Index.
I'll argue that Railgun, especially in this arc, tries to be a mellower version of Index, which I am fine with. (even the sisters arc...)

And yes, when I watched episode 23 for the first time in english and then watched episode 24 right after that, the build-up was excellent.

In the end, the Sisters arc build-up was pretty slow as well. In fact, since it was longer the build-up was much longer than this arc's build-up. A lot of the people who were seeing that arc though knew what was coming and what foreshadowing was happening, so the build-up seemed much faster... (just pointing that out...)

I wouldn't call this arc the pinnacle of railgun. I'd call it the pinnacle of anime-original railgun though--that fits the vibe anime original parts of the first season did which the LN people tend on the most part to consider non-canon.

I thought the Sisters arc was the pinnacle of non-original railgun though.

I was expecting two very different things in each arc and kind of like Chaos2Frozen said I got it, but I wasn't being as sarcastic I think when I'm saying it

And to the jokes about characters... wow I think we get the point... you don't have to go that far. I think the point being made was pretty clear in my eyes. (just because I overreact unnecessarily and regret it later doesn't mean you all have to do it too :__:

This episode was very controversial. The first time I saw this episode I had just ignored all of the criticisms in previous episode discussion threads and had just not watched the episodes with sub-titles because I had heard how absolutely bad the arc was. So I didn't know why, I had just heard it was bad.

Then I watched it and found it very enjoyable, but contradictory to the canon.

Since when I watch filler it doesn't really need to be true to the canon because in the end, it is just filler... and doesn't really matter that much... I thought it was pretty amazing to watch.

I also thought it was somewhat obvious Mikoto was talking about herself as the idiot, not Accelerator. She was the idiot willing to die. The first time she said it I thought she was talking about Accelerator, but no... Though, she pointed out something interesting there... about him... that surprised me... She didn't blame him as much as the researchers... THAT surprised me... (How mature).

Anyway, @AdmirerOfSatenRuiko As to why Accelerator could be a protagonist? Because of personal reality. Here, we saw everything from mainly Mikoto's viewpoint. Also, we saw things from Accelerator's opinion, but we didn't actually get the whole big picture. Since this arc was a second season... and we already knew the railgun characters very well... the tendency would be to consider them as main protagonists first and Accelerator as a foreign entity.

I argue Accelerator is as much of a Railgun character as he is an Index character. He just has different roles in each one. Here, he was supposed to look like a villain... I mean, he was an interesting villain because he had different motivations, but this arc didn't give enough to the viewers to make you like him, because this is Railgun, not Index and therefore doesn't need (at least not yet in the anime) Accelerator as a full-time main character that all viewers like as a protagonist, to be a protagonist in the series. This is why his full motivations weren't given to you.

A lot of people including me who like his character like it because of the complexity. It's why I like Mikoto similarly... Before you get angry or go WTH did I say there, let me explain. Mikoto's personality varies a lot so she seems very realistically done. She is Tsun a lot so obviously her personality changes plenty of the time, but she also has a lot of different sides to her and is a very interesting character. Accelerator, at first, or later depending on who you are, is an interesting character because you get to see the motivations of someone who isn't good. It isn't a question of whether the guy is good or not. It's a question of why he does the things he does. And it's interesting to see the evolution of his character. We saw it here. He changed from wanting to become strong to realizing he was hurting innocent people.

In my opinion, J.C. staff messed up big time because they overdid your first impression of how evil Accelerator looks to the viewer. That first impression skews all of your feelings about him later. I argue that was a pretty large mistake :__: and one of the things I didn't like about the adapted Sisters arc... (episode 16 explained his motivations, but I think that explanation perhaps could have also been executed better... but I digress)

Anyway, I think the animated Sisters Arc had some problems, and these problems are why you don't feel Accelerator fits in with railgun.

I'll admit. I first started liking railgun because since railgun is more mellow I get to see Index characters + railgun characters doing crazy stuff they wouldn't do normally when I watch it. That was nice. But railgun has other parts that other people would also enjoy about it.

It's a good show. I'm just sure that it definitely doesn't satisfy what everyone is looking for and after thinking about it, I completely understand once it was made clear to me why people would hate this arc so much after seeing the Sisters Arc. I felt the same way originally. That arc was like what railgun was originally supposed to be like in terms of what readers were expecting. But the second arc was similar to the "old" railgun. So of course people who liked the first part are super disappointed about the second part. But... I think saying only one part of railgun should exist is a little much... considering that in the end Kamachi is the writer of the series and the development of railgun characters you have seen relies on the ideas he comes up with which J.C. staff only implements (not creates from scratch)

But of course, you're entitled to your own opinion... *sigh*

Why couldn't people just agree to disagree? I guess though that this would just destroy the purpose of having a forum in the first place
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 17:15   Link #216
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
But of course, you're entitled to your own opinion... *sigh*

Why couldn't people just agree to disagree? I guess though that this would just destroy the purpose of having a forum in the first place
That's a little boring...!
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 19:48   Link #217
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
In my opinion, J.C. staff messed up big time because they overdid your first impression of how evil Accelerator looks to the viewer. That first impression skews all of your feelings about him later. I argue that was a pretty large mistake :__: and one of the things I didn't like about the adapted Sisters arc... (episode 16 explained his motivations, but I think that explanation perhaps could have also been executed better... but I digress):
Contrary to that, I think they took the correct approach. What Accelerator did was as evil as they made it look like... as he took a one way road to a land of no redemption, so to speak.

To understand his character you first need to realize that nothing can make up for his past actions, even if his intentions were, ironically, to stop hurting others.

@AdmirerofSatenRuiko - It's perfectly fine for you to find Accelerator loathsome, that's how he is supposed to be at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzushinaYuriko View Post
When was this? If it's the line I think it is (in the scene when Misaka stops the guy from shooting himself), it doesn't really make sense at all considering the timeline.

As much as I want it to be referring to Accelerator, she's most likely talking about Touma.
I was about Accelerator, but she wasn't speaking of him in a good light. She was using him as an example of how even someone extemely powerful could still crave more power. Perhaps an illustration of how greed knows no limit.

Last edited by leukrota; 2013-09-30 at 22:29. Reason: dem errors
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 19:55   Link #218
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Contrary to that, I think they took the correct approach. What Accelerator did was as evil as they made it look like... as he took a one way road to a land of no redemption, so to speak.

To understand his character you first need to realize that nothing can make up for his past actions, even if his intentions were, ironically, to stop hurting others.

@AdmirerofSatenRuiko - It's perfectly fine for you to find Accelerator loathsome, that's how he is supposed to be at this point.
Fine. True enough. I just thought it was bad for Accel popularity outside of Index (if that makes more sense) not because it doesn't actually make sense story-wise...

It made me sad it would hurt his popularity...

But yeah... I wasn't thinking about that... good point... The key word being yet.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 20:17   Link #219
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter
The final phase of the plan comes out of nowhere with no foreshadowing basically to give Misaka an excuse to make a big railgun attack, and it really clashes with the plan of STUDY of showing up the power of their artificial espers.

Banri and Haruee were totally unnecessary. Judgment has telepaths, probably stronger ones than those two. Another thing was the fact that no member of Judgment, which has a lot of espers, used a single power save Kuroko. A rather big letdown there.

Saten is a civilian level 0 with no combat experience: her fighting powered suits is preposterous and the less we talk about the few hours of reading manual=kicking ass in a large transformer the best.
On the final phase: It's supposed to be a "last resort", and it is obvious that neither of Aritomi's associates know of this. Hell, the usually calm Jun Sakurai was outright hysterical when Aritomi pressed the "screw this crap" button, and Aritomi himself broke down as the missile is launched.

On Banri and Haruue's appearance: Their arrival aboard the Ekaterina II-S is a much needed morale boost. Not only they handed out plans for setting up telepathic networks across the four venues, they also brought the many rice balls that the Judgment needs to refuel the energy they spent during the ordeal. Call it shallow, but battles are not won by sheer strength, numbers or tactics — the morale of the troops and their energy to carry out what is needed are also important.

On Saten as a fighter: There is no basis to gauge Ruiko's strength, but in the battle, the only thing she needed is to maintain aggro enough to keep the Powered Suits busy. Even her dismal battle experience and a wooden bat will do.

Quote:
It's always amusing when people say "canon" when it is in fact just a figment of their version of reality.
Screw canon, I enjoyed the ending.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 20:53   Link #220
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
What Accelerator did was evil. And there's definitely a certain viciousness and brutality to him in general.

But I wouldn't say he's beyond redemption (and that's going strictly by what we see in Railgun). I think Railgun gave enough hints here and there that Accelerator is a bit messed up in the head, with some flawed ideas, but that these ideas aren't just Accelerator's. Accelerator views the Sisters as non-human dolls because that's how he was told to view them (and because the Sisters didn't give him enough reason to doubt that take on them). Accelerator thought that killing all of these Sisters was about as morally relevant as level-grinding by killing enemies in a RPG video game to get to the next level.

Was he wrong? Definitely, obviously. But it wasn't obvious to him because of a cold, dark, dehumanizing atmosphere that permeates the darker corners of Academy City. Accelerator isn't some inherently evil, mustache-twirling villain. To a certain degree, he's a product of the attitudes, culture, and corruption of Academy City.

One of Academy City's core cultural flaws is how cheaply it values human life in general. This is a recurring theme in Railgun, with "Child Errors", STUDY treating Febri like disposable trash in this final arc, and a general caste system atmosphere in the city based on Level status. Accelerator shows what happens when you take the more dehumanizing attitudes of Academy City to their logical conclusion. By redeeming Accelerator, perhaps you also show what Academy City has to go through in order to be culturally redeemed.