AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters ~Refrain~ - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 9 21.43%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 38.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 28.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 11.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-10-05, 16:30   Link #21
ChampDream
Alive

this was really goodd.
Yukio is pure win
Old 2013-10-05, 17:12   Link #22
Deathscyther

I'm glad that the Little Busters are back and the first episode of Refrain didn't disappoint!

As I expected, the second season starts with the pancake party. It was handled very well in my opinion. Everyone got their time to shine during the party. I thought it was really cute how Rin came to ask Riki about her pancake. You could see that she was quite tense and was hoping for a good reply. Maybe she believes the saying that you win a man's heart through his stomach. In the end Kyousuke replied as well, which activated her brocon mode.

I actually didn't expect them to jump into Anego's route right away. While I do find the way they're handling her route interesting, I have to say that the part with the bullies could have been handled a little bit better. It was a bit too short in my opinion. Because Kud and Komari were the victims instead of Riki, a lot of 'drama' was lost as well. The way that Anego took care of those bullies was great though. Don't mess with Anego or she'll really kill you.

The OP is really good. The song really fits the theme of Refrain and the scenes were really interesting as well. It's like they're trying to show us that Refrain will be darker than the first season.
I'm not really sure about the ED yet. I like the song and the characters look really good in the ED, but I'm not sure if this is the right song for some of the episodes that are coming. At least the start of the song is not as 'merry' as the start of Torch...
Old 2013-10-05, 17:23   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
As an anime-only viewer, I honestly kind of liked the idea of Komari and Kud being the target of the bullying. In some ways, I think that works better than Riki being the target.

This is because...

1) It gets the full cast involved more.

2) Girls bullying girls and trying to keep guys out of it seems more natural to me.

3) It makes the antagonistic girls seem even more villainous. I mean, Komari and Kud are both innocent, sweet, little angels who are consistently kind to others. And they're not as emotionally tough as Riki (who is a nice guy himself, to be fair).

4) It makes Riki look a bit more heroic in that here he's trying to stop the bullies for the sake of his friends rather than being the bully victim himself.

5) Komari and Kud were the ones to actually cook the pancakes. They prepared the feast for Kurugaya, so now they get targeted. It arguably makes more sense than just picking a LB! member at random.

All of that being said, if they make this route explicitly romantic, then yeah, going with Komari/Kud as bully victims instead of Riki was the wrong call. But given how all the LB! anime routes to date had the romance sapped from them...

I have to say that these bullying girls are crazy. Putting aside how good/strong a fighter Kuruguya is, one of her friends is Haruka, who's sister is rather powerful and popular in this school. If I was Kuruguya, I'd be tempted to just threaten to pass that tape on to Kanata, and see if those bullying girls want to deal with her.

Having a door-destroying kick was more impressive to watch, though, certainly.
Old 2013-10-05, 18:23   Link #24
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
As an anime-only viewer, I honestly kind of liked the idea of Komari and Kud being the target of the bullying. In some ways, I think that works better than Riki being the target.
Spoiler for Comparison to the game:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:12.
Old 2013-10-05, 18:40   Link #25
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:12.
Old 2013-10-05, 18:49   Link #26
MCAL

I think the point that matters in the end is "Does it make sense from anime only eyes?" Not "It isn't like the VN therefore it doesn't make sense?" An adaption adapts to certain conditions like length. That's why the Air movie (for example) works really well. And I think the bullying incident is fine anime wise. And this is from someone who has played the VN and Kurugaya's route is one of my favorites.
Old 2013-10-05, 18:55   Link #27
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:13.
Old 2013-10-05, 19:09   Link #28
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post

Spoiler for Reply to comparison:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:13.
Old 2013-10-05, 19:49   Link #29
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I can't take off my goggles since it's Anego's route...nobody messes with my Anego Route!!!!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:15.
Old 2013-10-05, 20:09   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:15.
Old 2013-10-05, 21:05   Link #31
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Good start to Refrain. The original was classic in its own way, but the sequel should prove to have a much more substantial and emotional story. The opening and ending songs are good; slightly disappointed that there won't be a new one come Winter 2014 since JC Staff didn't roll that way with the original, but oh well. I loved Kyosuke jamming on his guitar about how the Little Busters 'rule.' It will also be nice to have the sillier version of Kengo around the whole season, since he underwent the change late into the first.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:16.
Old 2013-10-05, 21:16   Link #32
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

As obnoxious as the narcolepsy speech still is, at least the implications of him forgetting a previous relationship with Kuruguya potentially takes it into meaningful-echo territory.

"It's called a change-over: The movie goes on, and no one in the audience has any idea."

Also, seven languages? My, what a talented tongue she has.
Old 2013-10-05, 21:41   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:16.
Old 2013-10-05, 23:11   Link #34
Team Rocket Elite

Episode 1 started on May 13th. After a while, they start covering the date on the clock with a convenient shadow. However, the clock in this episode shows June 20th. So the entire series so far has taken place over 39 days. I'm tempted to check if they've explicitly shown more than 38 day to night transitions. Considering this is based off a visual novel, there's nothing they can really do about this but I just found this funny.
Old 2013-10-05, 23:16   Link #35
ReinhartX

the op is very good! total opposite from the happy one from S1.....
didnt play the VN but the first episode is definitely a good start

however im just bothered they use the same old piano soundtracks in the episode again =/
Old 2013-10-06, 00:05   Link #36
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Episode 1 started on May 13th. After a while, they start covering the date on the clock with a convenient shadow. However, the clock in this episode shows June 20th. So the entire series so far has taken place over 39 days. I'm tempted to check if they've explicitly shown more than 38 day to night transitions. Considering this is based off a visual novel, there's nothing they can really do about this but I just found this funny.
Do it. I dare you.

Anyway... speaking of Kurugaya, I sort of understand what changed to make it fit the anime. Kurugaya, unlike in the VN, speaks to ALL the LB! gang constantly, so it makes sense... however, backing up Riki kinda works too, you know?
Old 2013-10-06, 01:02   Link #37
Zankoku12

The problem I have about the bullying part is how conveniently everything is.
Suginami just happened to "conveniently" stand there for Riki to "conveniently" sees her and he also "conveniently" the only one to chase after her(Riki stormed out of the room and no one bothered,really ? LOL) then after 2 or 3 lines or so he just "conveniently" stand in the corner and looking blankly when Kurugaya taking care of the bullies.After that,they "conveniently" off running together like "yeah,it totally me and Riki problem now" which defeating the whole "let's bullying the girls to show how deep their friendships are !" earlier.

Spoiler for Reference to scene from the game:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:20.
Old 2013-10-06, 02:57   Link #38
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankoku12 View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-10-06 at 13:20.
Old 2013-10-06, 03:15   Link #39
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Loved that opening!!! Was really awesome. I also really loved how they opened up the episode with all the good stuff! Some of the stuff Clannad severely lacked in the anime. I really wonder how they will handle Angeo's route. I could also tell production levels were up too. I hope we get kick the can later!
Old 2013-10-06, 04:13   Link #40
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Must agree the openers a winner, got a little bit of wonder and mysteriousness in it, lots of beautiful contrasting images. I wish it lasted longer.

First impression of the ED wasn't too bad, definitely didn't think it was fail like Torch. Just a very innocuous theme that doesn't bring too much attention to itself.

Last edited by Ceral; 2013-10-06 at 19:05. Reason: ED Comments
Closed Thread