3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-10, 15:57   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Fate/stay night Episode 6 Discussion thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the sixth episode of Fate/stay night. Air date: Fri 10th Feb 2006 (late Friday night / early Saturday morning)

Please remember this thread is for the anime watcher only. If you want to discuss aspects of the game, then please use the Fate/Stay Night Game Discussion thread

Since the series is licensed the following posts are not allowed!
  • Asking where you can find F/sn downloads or torrents.
  • Discussing F/sn fansub groups (past or present).
  • Asking for help downloading F/sn.
  • Asking for playback help for F/sn episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.

You are allowed to discuss the anime but please remember to limit the discussion to the anime story only. In addition, please remain on-topic and do not post any spoilers.

Any spoilers from the game will be deleted. The entire post will be deleted (even if there is just a small part of the post containing spoilers). Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-02-16 at 10:22.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 16:09   Link #2
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

From the preview for episode six.....

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 16:35   Link #3
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Episode 7-10 Preview :-

Spoiler:
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 16:46   Link #4
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
Episode 7-10 Preview :-

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-10, 17:31   Link #5
ordnance11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
ordnance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 17:31   Link #6
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Omni posted his impressions

Quote:
*sigh* I’m having a hard time getting into this series…
Apparently he has inherited a dislike of the series now
mikemil828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 18:16   Link #7
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
God, I can't believe how stupid Shiro is!!!! It's so exasperating to watch him get his ass in trouble only because he is obviously a complete and utter moron.

Because only a moron would get in the way of a giant sword that looks like it can cleave a person in half. And only a moron would go out into hostile territory, not knowing what the hell is out there and without any support. I mean, here Shiro has Tohsaka with him. She knows her stuff. She is a good magician. She knows so much about Servants and fighting. But, Shiro plays the noble hero and goes out alone. Must be to prove to himself that he is indeed an idiot. And, as expected, he gets his butt handed to him and... woohoo... Tohsaka for the rescue.

I don't like Shiro anymore.

Tohsaka isn't much better either. She is obviously trying to project this image of a coolheaded asskicker extraordinaire, a woman you don't mess with. To prove her point she is constantly trying to show Shiro she is his enemy. But, she has some kind of hots of him (or, at least, has "conflicted feelings" 8)), so she just can't stomach it. First she fights him, then she befriends him. Then she fights him again, and, at a moments notice, goes back to being friends and allies. Apararently, it's because of Rider's threat, but in reality I think she is just attracted to him.

I don't like Tohsaka anymore either. She just lost her cool aura with all the moodswings completely. Tsundere indeed!

Now, Rider is one badass Servant. She is a bombshell, she is lighting fast, she inflicts real damage (unlike wusses like Archer or Lancer) and she has a sexy voice.
Spoiler:

So, there are two bad things about this ep (Tohsaka constantly changing her mind and Shiro being an idiot) and two good things about this ep (Rider rocks and the animation is finally back to normal).

Oh, maybe the constant talking (Shiro/Tohsaka) got on my nerves as well, but I am getting used to it now, so it's not so much of an annoyance.

On a separate notice, I am so amazed at people who rate FSN episodes at a perfect 10. Maybe tastes differ so much and I am just being picky, but this show doesn't deserve a 6 or 7, much less anything better. It's just not that interesting, despite the major hype and good quality animation.

Spoiler for Next Episode:

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-02-10 at 18:28.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 18:29   Link #8
Moon Eclipse

I can't wait till they start getting deeper into the actual story instead of just introductions. Not that I mind it, but it'd be nice to have something to actually discuss in these forums other than "ooo I got a screenshoot of <insert name>! check it out". I've read ahead in the series and there's actually some nice stuff they can do. I hope they try possibly combining elements of all the storyline into the anime (thought I doubt it from what I've seen so far). Anyways here's hoping
Moon Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 18:47   Link #9
Mentar
Banned

Mr.Prophet, you can always just quit and leave it ^_^... instead of complaining about being disappointed pretty much every single episode, you get kinda repetitive. And as a general hint, it's a great way to be frustrated about an anime if you go in with preconceived ideas how a character (like Rin) is supposed to act in your opinion - how about you simply let the story develop?

It's true that Shirou has some real problems with his head. Throughout the episode his messed up priorities are getting him in trouble multiple times. I wanted to bash him more than once...

I completely disagree on Rin though. Actually, it was obvious from the start that she isn't the cold-blooded efficient killer she tries to play - see what she did right off the bat in ep2. This is also what Archer is constantly pointing out. Truth is that she does have a compassionate nature, and she's a bit helpless to see Shirou's puppy-ish approach to things. Especially when every once in a while he does something undoubtedly admirable from her point of view. Like saving her life by deflecting Rider's attack on her, for example.

Rin's struggle to be what she is SUPPOSED to be (but in reality, is not) is one of the best and most interesting aspects of the show. If you want the consistent-badass-style characters, I suspect you'll be much happier with other kinds of shows.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 18:54   Link #10
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

So, basically, you agree with me. Shiro has "problems with his head" and Rin is just playing "a cold-blooded efficient killer".

The same thing I thought...

And I am "letting a story devolop". So far it's been developing in a boring direction: so much talk, very little action or character development, despite my best hopes from episode 1 (and the first half of ep. 2). 8)
Old 2006-02-10, 18:55   Link #11
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
God, I can't believe how stupid Shiro is!!!! It's so exasperating to watch him get his ass in trouble only because he is obviously a complete and utter moron.

Because only a moron would get in the way of a giant sword that looks like it can cleave a person in half. And only a moron would go out into hostile territory, not knowing what the hell is out there and without any support. I mean, here Shiro has Tohsaka with him. She knows her stuff. She is a good magician. She knows so much about Servants and fighting. But, Shiro plays the noble hero and goes out alone. Must be to prove to himself that he is indeed an idiot. And, as expected, he gets his butt handed to him and... woohoo... Tohsaka for the rescue.
Chill man, it's his nature. It might be his character flaw, but without that personality, Shirou wouldn't be... well, Shirou. It's pretty much expected that he'd be doing these kinds of things. After all, he did aspire to become an "ally of justice."
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 19:00   Link #12
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

The atmosphere for Rider's appearance in the back forest was really nicely done, action scenes like these are much better represented in anime form compared to the game.

As for those episode previews, the flow seems nice, I'm looking forward to the fight in episode 9. (It seems like they're headed back toward the "Fate" route for a bit)

By the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
Spoiler:
Actually, it says
Spoiler:

Quote:
Tohsaka isn't much better either. She is obviously trying to project this image of a coolheaded asskicker extraordinaire, a woman you don't mess with. To prove her point she is constantly trying to show Shiro she is his enemy. But, she has some kind of hots of him (or, at least, has "conflicted feelings" 8)), so she just can't stomach it. First she fights him, then she befriends him. Then she fights him again, and, at a moments notice, goes back to being friends and allies. Apararently, it's because of Rider's threat, but in reality I think she is just attracted to him.
Anything else obvious you'd like to say?

It's been said many many times before, that's the kind of character Shirou is. He's stubburn, unwilling to sacrifice others, etc. etc. etc.. He would probably kill himself for the smallest things. Most people's reaction (including most characters in the story) to that was "what a stubburn and foolish person". Shirou's belief is deep-rooted (tracing back to his own rescued life), and stubburn or not, that's him.

As for Rin, she's not as coolheaded as everyone would think, you can call it tsundere or whatever, but it makes her unpredicable, and human.

Quote:
Now, Rider is one badass Servant. She is a bombshell, she is lighting fast, she inflicts real damage (unlike wusses like Archer or Lancer)
You have no idea the kinds of damage Archer or Lancer can do if they get serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Eclipse
I hope they try possibly combining elements of all the storyline into the anime (thought I doubt it from what I've seen so far). Anyways here's hoping
They're already doing that.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 19:04   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
So, basically, you agree with me. Shiro has "problems with his head" and Rin is just playing "a cold-blooded efficient killer".

And I am "letting a story devolop". So far it's been developing in a boring direction: so much talk, very little action or character development, despite my best hopes from episode 1 (and the first half of ep. 2). 8)
Shirou is acting like just about every Male in a Harem series. For people whos ays he is better then Rin(shuffle) or any other male form other harem shows. Guess what he is exactly the same as that except with magical powers.

What were you expecting anyway Shirou to be anyway A harem male lead without any of the same flaws that afflict every harem male lead
Old 2006-02-10, 19:06   Link #14
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Shirou kind of reminds me of Lin Chong from the classic Chinese novel, the Water Margin. Lin Chong was supposedly the hero who suffered the most in the story, because of an overinflated sense of justice and goodness in his heart.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 19:11   Link #15
Mentar
Banned

Quote:

Not quite. You are grumpy because Rin doesn't turn out to be the chilly badass you obviously want her to be. I'm not. I find her multilayered and partially contradicting personality interesting and appealing. That's the difference.

Quote:
It's way too early for character "development", we've got to get to know the characters to begin with. And before we get more than a second look at the main leads, you're already voicing your displeasure about how they don't turn out to be the way you want them to. Hence, you're NOT letting the story develop, you already complain that it doesn't go into the direction YOU want.

I mean, more power to you, but please don't appoint me crown witness for your assessment here
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 19:17   Link #16
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Maybe I am not watching enough mediocre bishoujo-game-based anime. I bet I'd enjoy this show more that way. Compared to that horror FSN is positively wonderful.

To all of you who say that "this is the way it is supposed to be" and that I am being obvious, well, I am very sorry if Shiro is supposed to be lacking in survival logic and boring. I was hoping maybe this is the oposite of what he is supposed to be. I was expecting a main character to, perhaps, think about what he is doing.

I know this is based on a visual novel, so there is a lot of text to present via the dialogues. However, this anime is NOT a visual novel, so I am expecting the anime creators to be able to ADAPT the game in a way so it would have been watchable and wouldn't send me to sleep. The last two episodes were not so good at this. However, since episode 1-3 managed to excite me a bit, I am hopefull for something better later on.

Stomach the criticism, boys. Last I checked, this board isn't prescribed to be a Fate/stay night Lovefest. And I do think that I was being objective, listing the things that I though were good AND bad. If you can't handle it, then just don't comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Not quite. You are grumpy because Rin doesn't turn out to be the chilly badass you obviously want her to be. I'm not. I find her multilayered and partially contradicting personality interesting and appealing. That's the difference.
No, I am not. I think it's more likely you are trying to "read into my heart", because I am positive I never said anything like that. What I said was: "She is obviously trying to project this image of a coolheaded asskicker extraordinaire, ... but ... she just can't stomach it."

I am just stating the obvious here, the way the story developed. You, on the other hand, thought I was being judgemental or disappointed with that. I am not. I just don't like the fact that Tohsaka is constantly changing her mind. Exactly what I said, right?

Quote:
I mean, more power to you, but please don't appoint me crown witness for your assessment here
Was I forcing you to do anything at all? 8)

I am stating my opinion of the episode here. No need to be defensive about it. We can all enjoy the show in our own ways. Some can enjoy it by overlooking its faults. Others can be constructively critical and watch it for what it is: a collection of good and bad points, and hoping that the good outweigh the bad in the end.

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-02-10 at 20:40.
Old 2006-02-10, 19:26   Link #17
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Rin's train of thought is easy. She wants Shirou to survive this war if possible. Him getting badly injured is preferable to him dying.

In this episode she gave him another choice: surrender your arm(command seal) or you life. Guess what Shirou chose.

Regarding Shirou, yes, he's contradictive and horribly idealistic, but some characters are starting to point that out to him. Especially Archer.

What will become of this? We shall see.
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 19:27   Link #18
tragicsmile
おじさんはパスタ好き?

Send a message via AIM to tragicsmile Send a message via Yahoo to tragicsmile
MrProphet does have a point in his complaints about Shirou and Rin. Keep in mind that - not having any idea of how the characters really behave - you would want or expect the people present in the anime to act differently. Without knowing or being convinced of a character's motives, you can't really tell whether what they're doing is because of their beliefs or what they're doing is because the writers just want to make them retarded.

Regarding Archer and Lancer - Saber just got lucky with Lancer, and she got the drop on Archer while he was more concerned with shielding Rin (at least in the demo). Don't underestimate them. :3

Quote:
Stomach the criticism, boys. Last I checked, this board isn't prescribed to be a Fate/stay night Lovefest. And I do think that I was being objective, listing the things that I though were good AND bad. If you can't handle it, then just don't comment.
Nicely put. Circlewanks do not lead to fun discussion.
tragicsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 20:23   Link #19
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Teh KILL! KILL! SHIROU! club approaches...
mikemil828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 20:41   Link #20
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Meh. I find MrProphet rather pitiful in his arguments considering how many more episodes we have to go on, and the type of characters he's looking for in this series. Having played the game, and seen several thousand anime these past 20 years, I have to say this is one of the better series starting out, but I can't judge it as a whole as we're only now 6 episodes in. I'm being very open minded, and enjoying the good parts, while being understanding of the bad, as I'm hoping in a positive attitude(which so many people don't have anymore), that they'll work themselves out as the story goes along. It's not like this show is as bad as Gundam Seed Destiny. I can name a hundred shows this long who started out WAY worse.

So just as you're going to criticize this show, I'm going to criticize your opinion and it's foundation.